HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

The Laurel in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Aug 7, 2020, 11:38 PM

Old Posted Aug 9, 2020, 5:42 AM

Can anyone explain why it seems like they are installing scaffalding to pour the middle floor in the Sansom street garage, but haven't poured the bottom floor (on grade) yet? They have been pouring pillars, but not a slab. Or did I miss something?
Will they somehow pour that later?

Old Posted Aug 9, 2020, 5:30 PM

I believe they're just starting to set up the next floor, but they could possibly finish the floor under it tomorrow. I've seen this happen on Arthaus too and I was confused. They did say this is the longest part of the construction

Old Posted Aug 9, 2020, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK2001 View Post
I've seen this happen on Arthaus too and I was confused.
Thanks for this. Still be curious to find out why they do it like they do.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2020, 9:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtownFriend View Post
Thanks for this. Still be curious to find out why they do it like they do.
Large slabs, they do it in phases

Old Posted Aug 10, 2020, 1:04 PM

Think you guys are talking about two different things.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2020, 2:28 PM

Noticed that as well.

It seems like that floor is going in way too early. I'm sure it's for a reason but I was shocked to see that this morning.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2020, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
Noticed that as well.

It seems like that floor is going in way too early. I'm sure it's for a reason but I was shocked to see that this morning.
I know it's not uncommon in single-family residential construction (my field) for the basement and garage slabs to be poured AFTER the basic structure has been completed above them, since they are not structural in any way. It could be similar here: that the on-grade slab of that portion of the building is not structural, and it's just as easy--if not easier--to pour and finish that concrete AFTER the basic structure above has been completed.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2020, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Fan View Post
I know it's not uncommon in single-family residential construction (my field) for the basement and garage slabs to be poured AFTER the basic structure has been completed above them, since they are not structural in any way. It could be similar here: that the on-grade slab of that portion of the building is not structural, and it's just as easy--if not easier--to pour and finish that concrete AFTER the basic structure above has been completed.
That might be true, but in single family houses why would you have a first floor slab over a basement instead of a cheaper and faster wood frame construction? In any case the span in a single family city house is maybe 20' wide, where if your building a self park garage and there isn't a highrise on top, you want as spans as long as possible.

If you go back a few pages to post #2503 the photo shows a full dug out foundation. If what people are saying is that the first floor above grade level is being formed up, then one way or another that form work needs to be braced off of something rigid, like a finished slab/floor below it. Wet concrete is extremely heavy, 2 tons per cu.yd. and for the first couple of weeks while drying it has little to no strength, so all of its weight plus that of the formwork, manpower and equipment, is all supported from below. Loose dirt wouldn't cut it.

We need someone to get a camera on this work

Old Posted Aug 12, 2020, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post
That might be true, but in single family houses why would you have a first floor slab over a basement instead of a cheaper and faster wood frame construction? In any case the span in a single family city house is maybe 20' wide, where if your building a self park garage and there isn't a highrise on top, you want as spans as long as possible.

If you go back a few pages to post #2503 the photo shows a full dug out foundation. If what people are saying is that the first floor above grade level is being formed up, then one way or another that form work needs to be braced off of something rigid, like a finished slab/floor below it. Wet concrete is extremely heavy, 2 tons per cu.yd. and for the first couple of weeks while drying it has little to no strength, so all of its weight plus that of the formwork, manpower and equipment, is all supported from below. Loose dirt wouldn't cut it.

We need someone to get a camera on this work
Well, the concrete slab on sub-grade is generally NOT a structural part of the foundation in many buildings, and isn't carrying the load of the structure and floors above (with some exceptions such as mat foundations). As long as the rebar in the floor above is tied into the rebar in the foundation walls and columns that ARE carrying the load, I don't think that the scaffolding holding the forms is really carrying enough of the load during the initial curing of the concrete above it, for a slab below to be required. Again, not my field, but I'm pretty sure I've seen sub-grade slabs poured in other commercial buildings AFTER the floor and structure above has been poured.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2020, 3:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Fan View Post
Well, the concrete slab on sub-grade is generally NOT a structural part of the foundation in many buildings, and isn't carrying the load of the structure and floors above (with some exceptions such as mat foundations). As long as the rebar in the floor above is tied into the rebar in the foundation walls and columns that ARE carrying the load, I don't think that the scaffolding holding the forms is really carrying enough of the load during the initial curing of the concrete above it, for a slab below to be required. Again, not my field, but I'm pretty sure I've seen sub-grade slabs poured in other commercial buildings AFTER the floor and structure above has been poured.
There is a method that was used in San Fran on it's new tallest building---the name leaves me right now---that after all the piers were dug and poured, as in very deep, vertical construction was started and shortly thereafter digging down around the piers was also started. I think that was done in an attempt to save time.

But that's not the case here. The above grade part of the building isn't that tall and theres no need for a forest of columns and posts and piers. I'm surprised that apparently from what is being said the floor slabs aren't being poured on a steel deck as most commercial buildings are built. Residential is often built from a poured in place, all reinforced concrete construction, as the tower part of this project is being built. While commercial buildings, even fairly small ones are steel frames, with concrete decks/floors. This type of construction doesn't need to have the concrete floor supported in any additional method other then the regular steel frame, as its this steel frame that transfers the load, the weight to the vertical columns, while the concrete floor supplies very, very little actual structural load . While the poured in place all reinforced concrete buildings have a dense grit of temporary posts holding up the horizontal floor forms which slowly come down as the slab cures and hardens. The load is still transferred to the vertical columns through the combined structure of the concrete and the rebar working together. But obliviously the concrete is poured in a mostly liquid state and has to go through a chemical change as it cures and hardens. I don't know the actual schedule but in a week half the posts come down and are hoisted up to be reused, then in another week half of what's left comes down and so on. What your left with is 6" to 10" thick concrete slab with steel reinforcing bars buried in the slab, one can see concrete both on the top and bottom of this slab/floor. The W hotel site was a good example of this type of construction and that thread has many photos.

If all the parking is below grade I wonder if that means all the floor slabs are slopped to form ramps and if this would more easily be done after the above grade construction creates a roof of sorts over these ramps. But again the W site had sub grade parking and the whole hole was dug, the sides and matt was poured, then the work started going vertical, and that included ramps.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2020, 4:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post
There is a method that was used in San Fran on it's new tallest building---the name leaves me right now---that after all the piers were dug and poured, as in very deep, vertical construction was started and shortly thereafter digging down around the piers was also started. I think that was done in an attempt to save time.

But that's not the case here. The above grade part of the building isn't that tall and theres no need for a forest of columns and posts and piers. I'm surprised that apparently from what is being said the floor slabs aren't being poured on a steel deck as most commercial buildings are built. Residential is often built from a poured in place, all reinforced concrete construction, as the tower part of this project is being built. While commercial buildings, even fairly small ones are steel frames, with concrete decks/floors. This type of construction doesn't need to have the concrete floor supported in any additional method other then the regular steel frame, as its this steel frame that transfers the load, the weight to the vertical columns, while the concrete floor supplies very, very little actual structural load . While the poured in place all reinforced concrete buildings have a dense grit of temporary posts holding up the horizontal floor forms which slowly come down as the slab cures and hardens. The load is still transferred to the vertical columns through the combined structure of the concrete and the rebar working together. But obliviously the concrete is poured in a mostly liquid state and has to go through a chemical change as it cures and hardens. I don't know the actual schedule but in a week half the posts come down and are hoisted up to be reused, then in another week half of what's left comes down and so on. What your left with is 6" to 10" thick concrete slab with steel reinforcing bars buried in the slab, one can see concrete both on the top and bottom of this slab/floor. The W hotel site was a good example of this type of construction and that thread has many photos.

If all the parking is below grade I wonder if that means all the floor slabs are slopped to form ramps and if this would more easily be done after the above grade construction creates a roof of sorts over these ramps. But again the W site had sub grade parking and the whole hole was dug, the sides and matt was poured, then the work started going vertical, and that included ramps.
But the W was a mat foundation, as I recall, which is not the case here. In this case, the footings, exterior foundation walls, and columns are what will be carrying the load in that portion of the building, so the sub-grade slab(s) can be poured at any time. And you're right--there may be some sloping ramps involved that could take more time, but won't be cause for delaying construction of the structure above.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2020, 2:17 PM

I've heard them say a few times that the 3rd floor is the most complicated and then it will start to shoot up like the Arthaus.

is this the 3rd floor they're on?

Old Posted Aug 14, 2020, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
is this the 3rd floor they're on?
They are working on the supports for the 4th floor plate. This will be the last extra wide plate.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2020, 3:38 PM

I was on a run yesterday and saw someone taking pictures of the site. Which one of you was it? Lmao

I never realized before how imposing this will be from the street. It’s going to tower over Walnut.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2020, 12:53 AM

From today:

IMG_5879 by Stephen Henry, on Flickr

IMG_5878 by Stephen Henry, on Flickr

IMG_5883 by Stephen Henry, on Flickr

IMG_5861 by Stephen Henry, on Flickr

IMG_5884 by Stephen Henry, on Flickr

Old Posted Aug 24, 2020, 12:05 PM

Friday:

Old Posted Aug 30, 2020, 11:59 PM

So glad to see the progress and new windows in the other building here:

Old Posted Sep 5, 2020, 3:20 PM

Old Posted Sep 14, 2020, 3:02 PM
Philly Rising Up!

The webcam shows an overhang with rebar for a floor plate to the left of the project and above the historic mansion? I guess they have the air rights over the historic mansion. I don't remember seeing it in the renderings.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive