HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 11, 2019, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
The Official PEI Project Thread is reporting that the highway opens around Oct 19.
Thanks [/QUOTE]

Dengler:
A quote from a story on the CBC website today concerning the Cornwall Bypass AKA the TCH.

The Cornwall bypass is scheduled to open at 7 a.m. Oct. 21, and the new school entrance will be opened later that same day.

the story was discussing how a new entrance to a school was now possible on the soon to be "old" TCH, due to the anticipated decrease in truck traffic headed through the town.

Last edited by PEI highway guy; Oct 11, 2019 at 8:48 PM.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2019, 8:04 PM
Mr. Four Seventeen

I just read the article. That’s some good stuff.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2019, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
Very nice. Some of those views are absolutely spectacular. At the very end of the video it looks like railroad tracks very close to the road. Do trains go through that area or is it abandoned track?
There is a passenger train service ( 6 departure per day) from Quebec City ( Gare du Palais) to Côte-de-Beaupré and Charlevoix Ski hills and villages.

Video Link

Old Posted Oct 11, 2019, 8:46 PM

Quote:
I just read the article. That’s some good stuff.
they are predicting the town will grow now that they have a nice main street to develop rather than a truck infested highway headed to the bridge/ Charlottetown. They are dropping the speed limit/limiting passing.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2019, 9:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilippeMtl View Post
There is a passenger train service ( 6 departure per day) from Quebec City ( Gare du Palais) to Côte-de-Beaupré and Charlevoix Ski hills and villages.
Thanks for the info and video.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2019, 10:39 AM

Found this on a Halifax Thread
New Highway 102/103 ramp and overpass will open on Monday

The new and improved Highway 102/103 interchange will open on Thanksgiving.

As of sunrise on Monday, Oct. 14, drivers heading east on the 103 or north on the 102 will be using the new ramp and overpass.

Message boards will be along the affected routes to let people know about the change. Traffic control signs, cones and barriers will also be in place.

Construction work began last spring to replace the existing interchange, which was constructed in 1963.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2019, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI highway guy View Post
Found this on a Halifax Thread
New Highway 102/103 ramp and overpass will open on Monday

The new and improved Highway 102/103 interchange will open on Thanksgiving.

As of sunrise on Monday, Oct. 14, drivers heading east on the 103 or north on the 102 will be using the new ramp and overpass.

Message boards will be along the affected routes to let people know about the change. Traffic control signs, cones and barriers will also be in place.

Construction work began last spring to replace the existing interchange, which was constructed in 1963.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2019, 6:17 PM

Regina's Bypass highway route priced at $2 billion and circles 3/4 of the city opens this next month. The Province announced today that the West portion of the route will be labelled part of Highway #11 that leads to Saskatoon and the Southern and Eastern portion will become part of the Highway #1 TransCanada highway.

Meanwhile this last week,
The Saskatoon Perimeter Freeway functional planning study released a press release showing first of three Phases showing northern portion of route including 3 of the 4 planned interchanges on that section of freeway.

Timelines
• Phase 1 – early 2020
• Completion of Functional Plan - 2021
• Completed ROW requirements

• Land Purchase
• Allows for advanced purchase if allocated budget
• Willing seller – willing buyer

• Construction
• No scheduled construction timelines
• Potential of 10 – 15 years in future
• Anticipated need at a city population of 400k,
functioning to 750k.

https://www.documentcloud.org/docume...riefing-1.html

Old Posted Oct 13, 2019, 7:24 PM

The scale of the proposed Saskatoon ring road is quite impressive.

I'm glad they're looking to future-proof it by putting it so far out and limiting access - it's such a pain to have to provide for a billion property accesses when eventually the province comes to deciding to grade separate these things.

There's so much in the way of headaches when a place decided to half-ass something and then later has to undo the half-assed approach to do it proper. Winnipeg/Manitoba seems to be the worst in this regard - cheap out in the beginning and then have to cope with all the development that happens in the interim when you decide to do it right.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2019, 2:53 AM

^^ Saskatoon Perimeter Freeway is "Future Proofed" to a certain extent, but residential (Orange) projects are already edging up beside the projected Perimeter Freeway particularly in North East Saskatoon.

The 1 year old Commuter Parkway Bridge and route (Purple) is only a couple kilometers from the projected site of the Perimeter Freeway Bridge and route (Red).

It had to be that way because the planners didn't want to build too close to Wanuskewin Heritage Park (Green Square) or worse, build out past the Park, making the Perimeter Freeway prohibitively too large in circumference. The completed Perimeter Freeway projected size as it is will be ~80 kilometers in circumference when completely linked in a loop around Saskatoon in the future.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2019, 9:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave46 View Post
The scale of the proposed Saskatoon ring road is quite impressive.

I'm glad they're looking to future-proof it by putting it so far out and limiting access - it's such a pain to have to provide for a billion property accesses when eventually the province comes to deciding to grade separate these things.

There's so much in the way of headaches when a place decided to half-ass something and then later has to undo the half-assed approach to do it proper. Winnipeg/Manitoba seems to be the worst in this regard - cheap out in the beginning and then have to cope with all the development that happens in the interim when you decide to do it right.
Don't forget BC does the exact same thing .

Old Posted Oct 14, 2019, 2:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave46 View Post
I hear what you're saying, although on the flipside the Perimeter has functioned as a reasonably efficient bypass around the city for nearly 60 years. Given how far it was from the built-up parts of the city, it was more of a rural highway at the outset than an urban expressway, and it was built accordingly.

It's only in this century that urban development has pushed up against the Perimeter in such a big way that it has started to take on the character of an urban freeway, so now we're seeing pressure to improve the clearly deficient parts of it.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2019, 2:09 PM
Mr. Four Seventeen

Certain part of Sudbury Bypass is like that too (i.e. at Long Lake Road - Sudbury City Road 80).

Old Posted Oct 14, 2019, 3:28 PM

Being from London, I look longingly at these perimeter highways with great jealousy lol

Old Posted Oct 14, 2019, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
Being from London, I look longingly at these perimeter highways with great jealousy lol
Has there been any proposals to build a ring road in London? Really you only need a half to 2/3s of a ring road with the 401/402 in place.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2019, 3:46 PM
Mr. Four Seventeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TownGuy View Post
Has there been any proposals to build a ring road in London? Really you only need a half to 2/3s of a ring road with the 401/402 in place.
If Highway 7 gets twinned from KW to London, there can be a 3-quarter ring road.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2019, 5:00 PM
User Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by TownGuy View Post
Not a full freeway but....
-A 6-lane arterial ring-road is planned for half the circumstance - west and north legs
-A 4-lane expressway (with intersections) will be the east leg. Most of this is done.
-401 & 402 freeways are already in place for the south leg.

Present & planned
-Note the west and north BRT routes are (currently) cancelled.

Long term

Source:
https://www.london.ca/residents/Road...61-complet.pdf

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Oct 14, 2019, 5:07 PM

Highway 7 isn't an option for London, it's not even close to the city. You could basically fit the existing city in the space between the existing city and highway 7.

London talked a lot about a ring road but higher levels of government weren't into funding it and the city basically let the land go and now it's all being developed. The 402 originally was supposed to go across the north end of the city but that was botched way back when as well. The best we ended up with was the former highway 100 (now Veterans Memorial Parkway) being twinned 15 years ago but it still has at grade intersections rather than overpasses. Honestly, I'm not even concerned so much about the east/west section across the north of the city. If VMP was upgraded with overpasses and extended a little further north than where it's planned to be extended next year, and they came up with a new north/south route off the 402 at the west end (west of highway 4 Lambeth), such as Westdel Bourne, then I could deal with getting across the city in the north end.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2019, 5:20 PM
Mr. Four Seventeen

My bad I forgot Highway 7 “ends” at Highway 4. I meant twinning 7 then 4, then (Old) 22 and joining the 402 near the NW corner of the city.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2019, 6:54 PM

Quote:
My bad I forgot Highway 7 “ends” at Highway 4. I meant twinning 7 then 4, then (Old) 22 and joining the 402 near the NW corner of the city.
Sorry, I don't really know what that accomplishes. For anyone wanting to come down 7 to get to the 402, it already is rather easy to do without coming down to London on the way. And I can't see a need for a 4 lane divided highway to ever be needed for that. But that has nothing to do with London.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada