HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Aqua in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Apr 23, 2008, 2:25 PM
The Desert Apple

Quote:
As has been discussed before (perhaps it was at SSC), the extent of the protrusion of the balconies will not be any more so in the floors to come (this is how I interpreted your description of an increasingly extreme curve, but please correct me if I am mistaken). The renders of the tower that show increased balcony protrusion (and hence increasing expression of the resulting wave phenomenon) with increasingly higher floors were stated by many to be misleading because of the way that the computer program that produced the render accounts for perspective (or rather doesn't account for it). As far as I know, the extent of balcony protrusion in the higher floors will be comparable to that of the floors already constructed, and so the pattern will be propagated further but the "amplitude" of the "waves" will remain the same. I am having difficulties locating the page that was relevant to this issue, so perhaps one of the people part of that original discussion can chime in.
I was one of them, and you explained it very well, I think! The key word you used was amplitude because they will not stick out any further towards the top. Based on documented profile views of the building and knowledge of certain render perspective distortions, we've already been viewing the maximum balcony depth for a while now.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2008, 2:27 PM
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Ms Gang...go chain yourself to the railing...and DEMAND a re-do.
Would that make her a chain Gang? (SORRY...ok, not really).

I think the railing (singular, since there's only one so far) sucks, BUT it's only the first one. Each balcony was "hand-made". They followed a design, but it's not like they were precision-molded. My guess (and it's ONLY a guess) is that the railings were ordered and fabrication began before the balconies were shaped. Therefore, the shape of the railing doesn't perfectly match the shape of the balcony.

That said, I think the railings should precisely follow the curvature of the balconies (up to the point that they get close to the building, then truncate them). It may not be noticeable from a distance, but when it IS noticeable, it detracts from the flow of the design. Also, if I had a unit there, I wouldn't expect my balcony railing to look as though it was forced into place. I would expect it to look flawlessly integrated into what is arguably the most outstanding design element of this building.

If cost is an issue, cut corners elsewhere. Maybe get cheaper doorknobs & fixtures, then let residents "upgrade" for a charge.

ô¿ô

P.S. Also, you'd never catch me leaning on one of those. It doesn't look particularly secure to me.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2008, 2:42 PM

anyone want to do a pixel count of the deepest balcony so far? I believe the deepest balcony is supposed to be 12 feet deep, and I'm curious to see if we can prove that the balconies on the highest floors are not going to stick out any further than the bottom floors

Old Posted Apr 23, 2008, 4:18 PM

Railings look fine to me...
...excited that it's obtaining some serious height....

Old Posted Apr 23, 2008, 4:57 PM

Even the forumers who posted positive views of the railings
usually admitted that they don't 'flow' as well as the balconies.
If I were pouring the concrete for the balconies.....
and then someone came along and pieced together a rather mediocre
facimilie of the curves that I had justed created......I would go ballistic.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2008, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstush04 View Post
anyone want to do a pixel count of the deepest balcony so far? I believe the deepest balcony is supposed to be 12 feet deep, and I'm curious to see if we can prove that the balconies on the highest floors are not going to stick out any further than the bottom floors
You are indeed correct the deepest balcony will be 12' but you will not see that till the level 41 which most of the balconies have only gone out 8' thus far.........a long way to go yet...........

Old Posted Apr 24, 2008, 2:19 AM
tilted & shifted

Taken today:

Old Posted Apr 24, 2008, 5:17 AM

Another perspective of the railing(s?) (from today):

One more for good measure

Old Posted Apr 24, 2008, 6:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manus in Chicago View Post
You are indeed correct the deepest balcony will be 12' but you will not see that till the level 41 which most of the balconies have only gone out 8' thus far.........a long way to go yet...........
thank you! I realize that rendering is a little too dramatic, but still, the balconies haven't gone out as far as they will yet. thats exciting

also, jibba, thank you for all your pictures of various buildings, especially aqua. I love the railings. you guys are way too picky. The railings were practically made. anyone want to guess how much more expensive it would be for perfection? gosh. I like them more "imperfect" because its just more realistic

Old Posted Apr 24, 2008, 1:01 PM
The Desert Apple

Wha Wha whhaaa...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibba
I'm not going to let it ruin the building for me, but I have to admit that I just lost my hardon.. temporarilly. Total sexy mesmerization from that angle.. all those curves. Such an obvious approximation blows the organic feel from this view. The inaccuracy is not the flacidator for me, really. It's much more about the straight segments.. the hard angles.

It's like analogue(sweet, sweet analogue) vs. digital. Sigh.

I will still worship the ground this building rests on because of all the other amazing things they did so very right. But this is not a budget residence and I don't really understand why you would try to get away with such an obvious marr on the most beautiful and noticeable part of the building.

Oh, and thanks Jibba and Hydrogen for those exquisite shots. So uhh.. Hydrogen, I know that old worthless gear is just collecting dust on that shelf right about now. Why not let cactus take that off your hands?

Old Posted Apr 24, 2008, 1:19 PM

Jibba....extremely beautiful photographs.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2008, 5:30 PM

Well, I guess I'll go ahead and throw my support behind the railings. I think the imperfections of the curves on the railings will add to the overall building once it is completely finished. Will there be any special lighting scheme on this? I'm guessing not, but imagine if they lightly lighted this up in an aqua-ish color at night. Probably not possible b/c it's a residential building, but still, it would be cool.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2008, 8:36 PM
Ex Houstonian

I cant believe how fast this one is rising, it seems like its about 2wice as tall than it was a month or so ago.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2008, 2:16 AM
tilted & shifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactus22minus1 View Post
So uhh.. Hydrogen, I know that old worthless gear is just collecting dust on that shelf right about now. Why not let cactus take that off your hands?
Haha. I actually sold my old camera (Canon 40D), so I have no old gear to give. I might have a spare lens cap laying around somewhere.

Taken on 4/23:

Last edited by i_am_hydrogen; Apr 26, 2008 at 4:03 AM.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2008, 2:20 AM
Chicago Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibba View Post
One more for good measure

Old Posted Apr 26, 2008, 10:12 AM

April 23

April 24

Old Posted Apr 26, 2008, 10:02 PM
Urban Explorer

While I understand that many people are upset with the railings, I think it would be wise to consider their design in light of the intentions of the designers. This building is all about flow, change, and movement. Sure, it would look nice if the railings matched the curvature of the slabs, but they seem to create their own flow, almost in opposition of the slabs. In my opinion it creates a much better effect, and you really understand how the designers considered their objectives and used something that is normally overlooked (railings) to create a certain dynamism.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2008, 11:34 PM

Smile new vid update online

Hiya guys,

after a lil over a month its time for a new vid for this awesome curvy tower:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Xh-c8Ega5I

Music: Tunnel Allstars feat. DJ Yanny - Crocketts Theme

Enjoy

Old Posted Apr 27, 2008, 12:39 AM

Thanks andydie for another terrific update!

Old Posted Apr 27, 2008, 2:31 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by andydie View Post
Hiya guys,

after a lil over a month its time for a new vid for this awesome curvy tower:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Xh-c8Ega5I

Music: Tunnel Allstars feat. DJ Yanny - Crocketts Theme

Enjoy
Good video.

I almost never view youtube in full screen mode [due to lower resolution] but this one is an exception to truly appreciate and visualize the pics.

[thanks Earlybuyer and everyone's elses pics. I just realized that andydie used some of my pics too. Good work andydie and feel free to use again.]

I recommend full screen mode to view andydie's vids.

Last edited by bnk; Apr 27, 2008 at 3:05 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive