Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 26, 2014, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaletown_fella View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dleung
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74 View Post
You might not like the design, but the materials are hardly low quality.

Granite and Curtain wall glass...
As far as "granite" goes, you can't go cheaper than those 12x12 inch tiles they used at Trump. And the deflection on those windows is bad enough without the eerie glow of Minas-Morgul coming from the parking levels at night...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...e_at_night.JPG
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-FJiC1NTK1B...inasmorgul.jpg
As I said before they should have used a half bond pattern with larger rectangular tiles. Nonetheless, this building looks better than 90% of the other highrises going up. The smoky color really works in this part of town.
I would've preferred a darker and more polished stone finish to go with the green glass. The parking level windows doesn't look like frosted glass... it's as if they got someone to rub sandpaper over it.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2014, 11:57 PM
gettin' rich!

Blockbusting at Yonge and Bloor

Photo credit: caltrane

Old Posted Jan 27, 2014, 1:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74 View Post
The Aura Condo tower

By me

Four those of you that don't remember construction began on the Aura tower approximately 4 years ago today. By the looks of it, things won't be finished here for at least another 6 to 7 more months.
just one word "huge".

Old Posted Jan 27, 2014, 2:35 AM
gettin' rich!

Yes, its big. But after all this time I'm sure people in the area don't even notice it anymore.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2014, 2:57 AM

Oh I notice it on a daily basis. It just hangs over you everywhere you go around Ryerson. Not that its a bad thing.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2014, 7:39 AM
gettin' rich!

Impacting the urban landscape at Yonge and Bloor

Caltrane74

Old Posted Jan 27, 2014, 12:12 PM

Nice shot Cal!

Old Posted Jan 27, 2014, 2:11 PM

With so little setback from the street, that building is going to dominate the intersection like few others in the city do.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2014, 2:19 PM

I was thinking the same. That's a huge, imposing presence right at the edge of the sidewalk.
Not necessarily a bad thing, but will certainly change the feel of Yonge & Bloor.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2014, 2:21 PM
gettin' rich!

And there will be nice WIDE sidewalks which will be unveiled when the hording is taken down, likely similar to the wide sidewalk stretch along Aura Condo and College Park. The curvy podium structure makes me think that so long as the cladding is right, this will be first of the 250 meter plus buildings that will be universally accepted by Toronto people and those outside the city. Following semi-disasters at Aura and Trump at least in the eyes in some. We "should" be able to agree that One Bloor will be amazing, once we get a chance to examine the curtain wall cladding. We are throwing so much shit against the wall in Toronto that the odds are forever in your favour that some of the shit will stick. L Tower, ICE Condos, FIVE condos are proof of that.

The One Bloor Podium

Old Posted Jan 27, 2014, 2:44 PM

Jeez, I post one picture and look at the sh*tstorm it creates!

I personally think it is an awful tower, and that is an opinion shared far beyond a few grumpy forumers, it is more or less an industry whipping boy for criticism.

That said it is architecture after all and architecture is art and art is subjective. What i find to be sloppy design and execution others may find to be a visual break from minimalist glass design. To each their own. No sense arguing about it.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2014, 5:51 PM

caltrane74 no one said anything bad about l tower or ice condos. I think they both are really nice projects and everyone like both of the projects.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2014, 7:21 PM
gettin' rich!

I know Uzi, those are the good towers in the boom.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2014, 3:45 AM
gettin' rich!

New Park Under construction at Southcore / By Harbourplaza

Suzanne Wintrob, Special to National Post | January 26, 2014 3:10 PM ET
More from Special to National Post

Ramping up for more: A large multi-use development (and park) is coming to a tiny part of Southcore

Quote:
“At two million square feet, it’s one of the largest true mixed-use [projects] in an urban city going on right now in Canada,” says director of development Jared Menkes about the company’s $550-million undertaking. “It’s really a blue-chip location … I joke a lot that in the middle of winter you can wear shorts and a t-shirt, go downstairs, jump on the train all the way to Pearson, jump on a plane and be in some hot climate and never have to put on a jacket! It’s really that easy.”

Though he jests, Mr. Menkes, 32, knows that young urban professionals like himself crave that kind of downtown convenience. Indeed, it’s why many in the 25- to 45-year-old age range are flocking to this neighbourhood situated south of the railway tracks and steps from the waterfront. James Parakh, acting director of urban design at Toronto’s City Planning division, says much of it has to do with the multi-billion-dollar renovation of Union Station, the GO Train concourse and the PATH.
Full Story Here

Old Posted Jan 28, 2014, 6:36 PM

" I joke a lot that in the middle of winter you can wear shorts and a t-shirt, go downstairs, jump on the train all the way to Pearson, jump on a plane and be in some hot climate and never have to put on a jacket! It’s really that easy.”

What planet is he living on? It's not 2015 yet and the skywalk's only half heated so you'd have to be out of your mind to do it in shorts.

It's not even close to that easy.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2014, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
" I joke a lot that in the middle of winter you can wear shorts and a t-shirt, go downstairs, jump on the train all the way to Pearson, jump on a plane and be in some hot climate and never have to put on a jacket! It’s really that easy.”

What planet is he living on? It's not 2015 yet and the skywalk's only half heated so you'd have to be out of your mind to do it in shorts.

It's not even close to that easy.
This is the same guy who called the design for Noir "sexy"?

Old Posted Jan 28, 2014, 9:15 PM
gettin' rich!

The President of UP Express said the same thing in an article I posted in the transportation thread..

No Coat? No Problem!

Old Posted Jan 29, 2014, 7:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramako View Post
This is the same guy who called the design for Noir "sexy"?
I guess this guy is color blind or have cataract in his eyes. noir and "sexy", LOL!

Old Posted Jan 30, 2014, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Trump suits its location and is a hell of a lot more engaging than Bay-Adelaide. There was always going to be a backlash against Trump Tower because it's not a minimalist glass box. I actually used to like that aesthetic, but I'm sick to death of it now. It was over kill 3 years ago, but they keep spewing them out.

Trump is a little too busy for my liking, but quite like it. Bay-Adelaide East? Now there's a skyscraper I could do without. What an excruciatingly boring sterile lump of nothing that will be. I might just slip into a coma if forced to look at it for more than 4 seconds.
I agree with many of your points. Trump tower is one of the few buildings in the city that truly engages and tries to fit in with it's surroundings. Sure the execution could have been better, but name me another architectural feature on the skyline that has even come close to what onion dome does to the skyline. We are a city of dull rooflines and cheap-balcony-wrapped condo towers. Only sad thing is, the ones that try to accomplish it are met with mediocre execution (Aura and L tower).

I think the only problem with Bay Adelaide East is it's location. It's a high-quality office building but it's because it's being built beside its twin makes it as boring as it is. As much as I like our financial district, it's density, and architectural styles, it's boring the way it's layed out with these massive office blocks like Brookfield, TD Centre, Royal Bank, Sunlife, and now BAC.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2014, 5:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveve View Post
but name me another architectural feature on the skyline that has even come close to what onion dome does to the skyline. We are a city of dull rooflines and cheap-balcony-wrapped condo towers.
The 1/4 onion on Trump is a hideous addition to Toronto. Fortunately there isn't another like it.

But i presume you were talking about the onion as being a positive addition. The V on ScotiaPlaza is by far the best feature on a Toronto skyscraper.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada