HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jan 2, 2020, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmacdougall View Post
I've been quietly observing the trades that the Wildcats have made over the last few weeks to build a team to compete for the Memorial Cup. I am AMAZED at how many people are angry that we are emptying the cupboards for this run. This will be the most exciting hockey team we've seen in a number of years. We should be celebrating these moves. Go Cats go!
I'm not going to sit here and predict a Wildcats Championship but when I see this move it looks like one that if they do go all the way you look back and say this is the move that put them over the top. Just as much as it gives the Wildcats 3 top scoring lines it also keeps Fortier from the competition. This is an incredible lineup no doubt about it.

The biggest fish left on the market now is Justin Bergeron of RN.

Before this trade you could maybe make an argument that Chicoutimi had a better top 6. At this point the Cats have the best group of forwards, the best top 4 D and arguably the best goaltender amongst the contending teams. It remains to be seen if Lacroix is the coach to take them all the way. The other obstacle could be that Sherbrookes easy path to the finals leaves them well rested for a Q final.

I am about to pull the trigger on buying Memorial Cup tickets for Kelowna. Its possible the Cats don't make it but if they don't I will still get to see a great hockey tournament in a beautiful part of the country. If they do make it it will be an experience of a lifetime.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2020, 7:54 PM

Quote:
I've been quietly observing the trades that the Wildcats have made over the last few weeks to build a team to compete for the Memorial Cup. I am AMAZED at how many people are angry that we are emptying the cupboards for this run. This will be the most exciting hockey team we've seen in a number of years. We should be celebrating these moves. Go Cats go!
I really get both sides. On one hand, it's great to finally have a team that can certainly compete beyond round 2. But at the same time, it's just kind of a bummer that they weren't capable of building a winning club primarily through drafting, a "home-grown" cycle to to speak, like Rouyn-Noranda did leading up to last year.

We've just sold the farm, paying through the nose for 3 hired guns (including 2 from the loathed Mooseheads) who are here for 4 months. It's kind of like maxing out the credit card for an impulsive around-the-world trip when you've got nothing lined up once you're back home other than a world of pain. But yeah, if you can shut your brain off enough to enjoy the trip itself, it's a blast!

Old Posted Jan 3, 2020, 2:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenSquared View Post
I really get both sides. On one hand, it's great to finally have a team that can certainly compete beyond round 2. But at the same time, it's just kind of a bummer that they weren't capable of building a winning club primarily through drafting, a "home-grown" cycle to to speak, like Rouyn-Noranda did leading up to last year.

We've just sold the farm, paying through the nose for 3 hired guns (including 2 from the loathed Mooseheads) who are here for 4 months. It's kind of like maxing out the credit card for an impulsive around-the-world trip when you've got nothing lined up once you're back home other than a world of pain. But yeah, if you can shut your brain off enough to enjoy the trip itself, it's a blast!

While I absolutely agree that RN is the model franchise they do not win a memorial cup without the midseason additions (rentals) of Noah Dobson, Joel Teasdale and to a lesser extent Louis Phillip Cote. The difference with RN is that because they Excel in scouting they hit well on their later picks leaving more in the cupboards as well as maximize value in trades which gives them more picks to build their prospect pool.

The Wildcats have a great core of players they built this time around. They complimented them with high end players like almost all championship teams in the Q does. I think they have a chance to right the ship if they can move L'Heureux for 4-5 assets next Christmas. They've done better at drafting in this cycle but poorly on trades & maximizing assets. Moving multiple 1sts for a guy like MacDonald then trading him a few years later for 2nds & 3rds gives them less to work with.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2020, 5:54 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
I wouldn't say that I'm personally angry with going "all in" for a Memorial Cup run. It is a gamble though, and we will be in the hockey wilderness here in Moncton for the next 2-3 years, but this is just the normal cycle that exists in junior hockey. You just have to get used to it.

I well remember our two President's Cup winning teams from 2006 & 2010. The first time was when we hosted the Memorial Cup, and that loss in the championship game to Quebec City was heartbreaking and nerve-racking. The President's Cup win in 2010 was delicious, especially since the championship series was between Moncton and Saint John. It was tremendous hockey.

We're all in now, whether you like it or not. It's time to buckle your seatbelt and enjoy the ride. The team has what it takes to win. It should be an insane second half of the season.

Go Cats Go!!!!

Old Posted Jan 3, 2020, 6:07 PM

MONCTONRAD:

Can you elaborate on this , last game I miss 8 min of the first period because it was a cluster f*** at the gate , They had a door for season ticket holder at the main entrance ,causing confusion.

📣A note for STH:

Dear valued season ticket holders, we have sent out an email to our season ticket holder database in regards to an update about game day entrance. If you have not received the email please feel free to call us at 382-5555 for more details.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2020, 6:14 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I got the e-mail.

STH have a new dedicated entrance (AND IT WILL BE FOR SEASON'S TICKET HOLDERS ONLY).

It will be Door #4, immediately to the left of the Club Seat Ticket Holders Door, located on the plaza, near the Ian Fowler Oval.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2020, 7:03 PM

Makes a lot of sense. There isn't even any sort of check happening today to see if you are a season ticket holder anyway. Aside from a small sign I think most people used the current STH entrance without even knowing since its the first door if you are coming from the west end of Main St.

I heard they didnt have all the gates open for the last game which is baffling given it was well known that the crowd was going to be 6000+ many days before, and late arrivals were going to be worse than usual due to the World Jr Game. I showed up at 2:30 to watch the game on the screen knowing there would be a lot of late arrivals.

For the most part they've resolved any of the entrance issues that have been reported in the past so hopefully this ends up being a one off.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2020, 4:14 AM

4 wins straight for sea dogs and they tie WildCats in points. Split this weekend with the Islanders and both teams look great. more play like this and they'll move on up in the standings fast

Old Posted Jan 5, 2020, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan2280 View Post
4 wins straight for sea dogs and they tie WildCats in points. Split this weekend with the Islanders and both teams look great. more play like this and they'll move on up in the standings fast
Do you mean the Islanders? The Wildcats are 13 points up on SJ with 2 games in hand. Not really necessarily accurate even with the Islanders since that assumes the Islanders don't get any wins.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2020, 5:48 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Cats had a pretty embarrassing loss to Cape Breton last night (5-0).

We outshot them 31-25, so I assume it was a goaltending and defence failure, which is really the Achilles heel of the team.

I'm not going to sweat the teams current performance. Once the WJHC finishes, we will get Rodrigue, MacIsaac & Khobanov back, and this will make a huge difference.

- Rodrigue should be well rested (perhaps rusty though), since he is the spare third goalie on Team Canada.
- MacIsaac should have an immediate impact on our defence.
- Khobanov is a firecracker, and his return will allow our line combinations to firm up. We should have three potent offensive lines when he gets back.

It is important that the team have as successful second half as possible. Every game will count if we want to win the Eastern Conference, and have the easiest possible route into the QMJHL championships.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2020, 5:43 PM

Lots of trades in the Q today. Wildcats picked up Ryan MacLellan from RN

Old Posted Jan 6, 2020, 6:38 PM

The Moncton Wildcats have acquired defenseman Jared McIsaac from the Halifax Mooseheads in exchange for a third round pick in 2020, a fifth round pick in 2021 as well as a first and third round pick in 2022.http://https://moncton-wildcats.com/...NldyfpFTDjBe0U

Old Posted Jan 6, 2020, 6:47 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Do we have any first, second or third round draft picks left for the Wildcats in the next four years?????

Old Posted Jan 6, 2020, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Do we have any first, second or third round draft picks left for the Wildcats in the next four years?????
2023 picks can't be touched so they still have all of those.

The cupboards look incredibly bare right now but it seems the Cats will be getting back some 1sts and 2nd's at the draft for futures but nothing is 100% confirmed obviously. They may get some picks back and have to flip them to BC for other picks.

On paper this is the best team in the Q and built for a Championship run.

Sit back and enjoy!

Old Posted Jan 12, 2020, 2:08 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Time to panic yet???

We'll know after the CB game this afternoon...........

Old Posted Jan 13, 2020, 12:24 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Time to panic yet???

We'll know after the CB game this afternoon...........
Cats beat CB 4-1 today, so the panic attack is forestalled (for now).

Khovanov is back and making an immediate impact. Groulx has been playing very well.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2020, 1:30 AM

Much better effort today...

Game was extremely physical. Felt like a 3rd or 4th game of a heated playoff series.

I was very impressed with the attendance today given the terrible road conditions. 6000+. Its timbits weekend but I wouldnt have blamed anyone who decided to stay home.

Interesting thing I've noticed.. Gabriel Fortier is very much in the same mold as another former Drakkar Captain the Wildcats traded for 10 years ago in Gabriel Bourque. They even have a similar skating style. Lets hope the results repeat themselves

Old Posted Jan 13, 2020, 12:31 PM

Sea Dogs alum Jonathan Huberdeau is now the top scorer in Florida Panthers History.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2020, 4:00 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Nice hard fought 4-3 win by the Wildcats tonight over the Sea Dogs at the Avenir Centre.

There was a lot of animosity between the teams tonight. They are playing again tomorrow in SJ. I imagine it'll be even worse then.

I must admit that the Sea Dogs have an excellent team in the making. They may be a force to reckon with over the next two years.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2020, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Nice hard fought 4-3 win by the Wildcats tonight over the Sea Dogs at the Avenir Centre.

There was a lot of animosity between the teams tonight. They are playing again tomorrow in SJ. I imagine it'll be even worse then.

I must admit that the Sea Dogs have an excellent team in the making. They may be a force to reckon with over the next two years.
I was checking the Q standings and The Sea Dogs appear to be solidly in a playoff spot. What is the playoff format? is it a conference format of 1 vs 8? or do the divisions play off first?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces