HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted May 20, 2008, 9:04 PM
tilted & shifted

Gourmet grocer coming to former Carson Pirie Scott & Co. building on State Street

by Blair Kamin
May 20, 2008

This could be great for State Street. It could also mar Louis Sullivan's landmark Carson Pirie Scott & Co. building if design issues are not sensitively handled.

'm referring to the announcement today by developer Joseph Freed and Associates that it's signed up three tenants, including gourmet grocer Fox & Obel, for the building, now called the Sullivan Center, at 1 S. State Street. The other tenants are the Flat Top Grill and an Australian retailer.

For State Street, this sounds like fabulous news.

http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune....et-grocer.html

Old Posted May 20, 2008, 9:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ih8spires View Post
On the bullitin board next to the Marina Tower Condo Assosiation office is a notice that explains the "River Walk" platforms under the Michigan and Wabash street bridges are going to be built "this summer." It also explains they will extend 17 feet into the river.
In addition, today I noticed a banner for a sushi place on the river across for Marina City. I hope the raw fish wont be coming straight from the river!
mmmmm fresh kill. That'd be a good gimmick. Fresh Trout, Carp and Alewife sushi. Viva Chicago.

Old Posted May 20, 2008, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfinley View Post
It has been my observation that today's generation of college students quite frequently shop at high-end grocery stores. Once they've graduated college and no longer receiving money from mom and dad, that's when F&O becomes too rich for their budgets.

Wait...must resist the "when I was their age" rant before it's too late.
Ahh yes, the days of Valu-Time bulk hot dogs wrapped in bulk tortillas...

Old Posted May 20, 2008, 9:28 PM

^^^^ Yeah, i think college age students actually tend to be quite sophisticated and can often afford to be since they're spending mom and dad's money.

Even if this isn't the case, there is a jewel and a target and a dominicks all within about a mile of this spot (not to mention other higher end grocers like treasure island and whole foods) so i think something like this brings a lot of cache to the loop and is very appropriate.

"A Chicago man knows he has a mission to accomplish in the world."- Pierre De Coubertin

Old Posted May 20, 2008, 10:41 PM

Where across from Marina City are they going to put a sushi place? Is it going to be out of a trailer like the others on the river walk? Anything at all would be a good start. And I hope that the ordinance allowing for sidewalk booze sales passes. I have always been bummed that I can just go to a bar and sit outside and have a beer without a food menu being pushed in my face. When would it go into effect? Hopfully this summer.

Old Posted May 20, 2008, 11:32 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post

wait... what's the significance of this pos?

Old Posted May 20, 2008, 11:48 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by trvlr70 View Post
IMO, it is an okay fit. I think F&O is bit high end for this location. College kids will never be able to regularly shop there for grocery basics.
So? I know the article mentioned the proximity of college kids, but seriously, you've got the Heritage and the Legacy and Momo and a good number of loft spaces scattered around State Street and Wabash, and I'd guess you'd even get foot traffic from 200 W Washington coming over, and that rental tower on Dearborn. Even Marina City isn't really that far. I think even in 2000, there were close to 5,000 people residing in the Loop, which is more than enough to support a 20,000 square foot grocery store. Not to mention office workers will buy some groceries there and I'm sure the population is higher now than it was in 2000. :-)

Old Posted May 21, 2008, 12:59 AM
Marina City

Quote:
Originally Posted by budman View Post
Where across from Marina City are they going to put a sushi place? Is it going to be out of a trailer like the others on the river walk? Anything at all would be a good start. And I hope that the ordinance allowing for sidewalk booze sales passes. I have always been bummed that I can just go to a bar and sit outside and have a beer without a food menu being pushed in my face. When would it go into effect? Hopfully this summer.
I think the name of the place is "Diosa", and yes on the south side of the rivew walk out of a trailer.
It looks though as if some work has happened as a wall has been built between lower Wacker and the river walk. Hopefully, the river walk will develop into a nice way to transition from Michigan Ave to State Street. I guess I just got to exited a few years ago when I first heard of the plan. I thought it would just take a month or two and boom, we would have a San Antonio style river walk.

Old Posted May 21, 2008, 1:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
Gourmet grocer coming to former Carson Pirie Scott & Co. building on State Street

by Blair Kamin
May 20, 2008

This could be great for State Street. It could also mar Louis Sullivan's landmark Carson Pirie Scott & Co. building if design issues are not sensitively handled.

'm referring to the announcement today by developer Joseph Freed and Associates that it's signed up three tenants, including gourmet grocer Fox & Obel, for the building, now called the Sullivan Center, at 1 S. State Street. The other tenants are the Flat Top Grill and an Australian retailer.

For State Street, this sounds like fabulous news.

http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune....et-grocer.html
Strange timing on this because I was just wondering this afternoon what the plans were for that building. I'd never really thought about it before, but something made me think of it today. Now I know.

I don't really know much about Fox & Obel, but I very much enjoy eating at Flat Top Grill.

Old Posted May 21, 2008, 3:41 AM

Demolition on the Pacific Garden Mission is well underway. The "For the WAGES of SIN is DEATH" thing is still mostly up but will probably be gone very soon. Can anybody tell me if there are any plans for the land or will it just revert to parking? I haven't seen any discussion of it so I assume it's common knowledge what's happening to it, except for me.

Old Posted May 21, 2008, 4:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abner View Post
Demolition on the Pacific Garden Mission is well underway. The "For the WAGES of SIN is DEATH" thing is still mostly up but will probably be gone very soon. Can anybody tell me if there are any plans for the land or will it just revert to parking? I haven't seen any discussion of it so I assume it's common knowledge what's happening to it, except for me.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but Jones High School will be expanding into the space and also into the adjacent parking lot.

Old Posted May 21, 2008, 4:35 AM

The high school to the north of it is expanding, i think.

"A Chicago man knows he has a mission to accomplish in the world."- Pierre De Coubertin

Old Posted May 21, 2008, 5:34 AM
TL;DR

Yeah, Jones is adding a gym and an auditorium. Thankfully, the proposal only includes 35 parking spaces. Some people at Jones have started a petition to add more, but I don't think they'll be taken seriously; land is too valuable to squander like that.

Old Posted May 21, 2008, 12:41 PM
Registered

A parking garage worth being excited about?

Is it possible? The render looks OK - beats my expectations by a wide margin. In fact, the garage looks better than the hotels Friedman is building, and more progressive environmentally too.

I'd still far prefer they integrate it into a tower, of course. Friedman is running out of vacant land, which means the wrecking ball can't be far behind.

http://www.chicagorealestatedaily.co...ws.pl?id=29523

Friedman building ‘green’ parking structure
By Shia Kapos, May 21, 2008

(Crain’s) — Chicago developer Al Friedman plans to spend $50 million building a 900-stall environmentally friendly parking garage to accommodate his 30 tenants and customers in the River North area.

"Usually a garage is a staid, ordinary structure. We didn't want that. We didn't want a garage that looked like a garage," Mr. Friedman said. "At the same time we’re trying to acknowledge that the car is a central part of society. A garage is the antithesis of 'green' so we asked 'How can we make it as green as possible?' We wanted to blend aesthetics and still let people know it's a public parking garage."

"I often say, 'Look, see, enjoy, and love.' It's a long way from looking to loving, but it's worth the effort." - Walter Andrew Netsch Jr.

Old Posted May 21, 2008, 12:53 PM
Urbane observer

Jones HS expansion was the excuse used to force the mission out.

Old Posted May 21, 2008, 2:02 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by honte View Post
Is it possible? The render looks OK - beats my expectations by a wide margin. In fact, the garage looks better than the hotels Friedman is building, and more progressive environmentally too.

I'd still far prefer they integrate it into a tower, of course. Friedman is running out of vacant land, which means the wrecking ball can't be far behind.

(Crain’s) — Chicago developer Al Friedman plans to spend $50 million building a 900-stall environmentally friendly parking garage to accommodate his 30 tenants and customers in the River North area.

"Usually a garage is a staid, ordinary structure. We didn't want that. We didn't want a garage that looked like a garage," Mr. Friedman said. "At the same time we’re trying to acknowledge that the car is a central part of society. A garage is the antithesis of 'green' so we asked 'How can we make it as green as possible?' We wanted to blend aesthetics and still let people know it's a public parking garage."
^ Yeah, I actually can look at that pic and not wince. I like how the developer is fully aware of the oxymoron of building a "green garage". Either way, that whole area of town was a sea of parking surrounding Harey Carey's 5 years ago when I lived in Chicago, and now with the development of that garage the whole area will be fully enclosed.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted May 21, 2008, 2:09 PM
The City

Hey Aldermen Fioretti and Reilly (and others--yeah that means you too fat fuck Levar), if you're reading this then maybe you can learn a thing or two from Ald Stone about how to deal with shameless NIMBYism the proper & reasonable way besides simply catering to their every selfish whim:

From David Roeder's column in the Sun Times:

50TH WARD FIGHT: Over the last two weeks, Ald. Bernard Stone (50th) twice has had angry crowds at his ward office for a meeting about a zoning deal. There were many things about the proposal for senior housing at 6917 N. Western that enraged the neighbors. It was height, number of units, parking, design. The battle had overtones from the hard-fought aldermanic election Stone survived last year.

Stone is moving the project through the City Council, starting the process Tuesday with an endorsement of the deal by the Council's Zoning Committee. He said concessions by the developer addressed the main objections. Stone conceded people still don't like the deal, but ascribed that to stubbornness. "The meetings were very contentious because the people just don't want it. If that lot remains empty as it has been, they'd be happy," he said.

Because of the outcry, the developer, Dr. Muhammad Ghani, cut the size of the building from 96 units to 90 and doubled its parking slots to 67. He also improved access to the parking and for emergency vehicles and drop-offs. As for height, Stone's letting Ghani go with 72 feet, or seven stories. "The current zoning allows 65 feet, so we're arguing here about seven feet," Stone said.

He said he's willing to accept the additional density because he likes that the housing is for seniors, a use he feels better suits the area than just another condo deal.

Neighbors, however, remain livid. Zachary Schiffman of the West Rogers Park Community Organization said many would like a building of no more than 50 units. He said Stone has tried to discredit opponents with the "not in my backyard," or NIMBY, tag that Schiffman finds deeply unfair. He said the most important issue is that Stone makes zoning decisions in secret.

"If there were any central planning for the ward, this project wouldn't even be considered," Schiffman said. Stone denies the secrecy charge, but he operates without a zoning advisory panel that other aldermen use on the development-intensive North Side.

Old Posted May 21, 2008, 2:16 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
"If there were any central planning for the ward, this project wouldn't even be considered," Schiffman said. Stone denies the secrecy charge, but he operates without a zoning advisory panel that other aldermen use on the development-intensive North Side.
^ I'd also like to point out that this is exactly why central community planning boards are moronic and need to die miserably. Fioretti's little "planning board" will be nothing more than a NIMBY sound machine that blocks everything everywhere and force-feeds extra PARKING down everybody's throats. I imagine it being akin to force feeding ducks to create Foie gras..

Fioretti, DON'T DO IT! It's stupid. Don't let mindless mob-rule take over the role of Chicago's planning agency!

Old Posted May 21, 2008, 2:39 PM

Bernie Stone is hardly a paradigm of good government. Just because his undemocratic methods sometimes have results that you favor doesn't make him a good guy.

Old Posted May 21, 2008, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honte View Post

Very mixed feelings on this. I like the garage itself; alot. I hate the location. This will likely decimate transit mode share for commute-to-work trips in River North, especially since the language of Friedman providing parking to accomodate his tenants/customers suggests that the parking will either be heavily subsidized (e.g. underpriced at the time of consumption) or bundled (worse yet: free!) with lease agreements, etc. If this garage weren't literally across the street from the "downtown core" (everything south of Kinzie being zoned DC-12 or higher), I could be a little more enthusiastic about it. The plethora of garages built in the 80s when the city opened up the Loop to garage development slaughtered the transit mode share by reducing the cost and difficulty of parking, and I don't see why this will be much different. The inclusion of bike facilities (parking, showers, etc) is a nice touch, though.

What ever happened to the movement some years ago to landmark the various Italianate structures along Clark St in that area? Obviously the landmarking never happened; who killed it?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development