HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 20, 2022, 1:28 AM
Fake News

Is it an Ontario and Quebec thing to slap clocks onto every suburban shitbox? Why?!?

Old Posted Mar 20, 2022, 1:32 AM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
Is it an Ontario and Quebec thing to slap clocks onto every suburban shitbox? Why?!?
Big Ben syndrome

Old Posted Mar 20, 2022, 1:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigs View Post
Someone please stop the Clockzanity

Old Posted Mar 20, 2022, 11:20 AM

Quote:
No. Not specific to Ontario and Quebec.

The is Willowgrove square in Saskatoon. New sub-division (built by the city) and the give it a small town feel, the "town square" needs a clock tower. I use to live in this neighborhood. At the time, they had not built any of the commercial yet and did not bother making certain the clock was actually showing the correct time. The entire Willowgrove sub-division is actually well done from an urban design perspective but does feel a little artificial in places.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2022, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Is it anOntario and Quebec thing to slap clocks onto every suburban shitbox? Why?!?
Some people sure like their clocks:
https://goo.gl/maps/nk9SxrwsMvnNpbUm8

Old Posted Mar 20, 2022, 1:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le calmar View Post
Jesus! How long have you been holding onto this gem? Double gambrel, clock, fountain, doll, horse, quadruple lamp post, paved over the curb (gotta be illegal) and surronded by mansards and other gambrels.

I wouldn't have exptected a Caddy in the driveway though.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2022, 1:12 PM

I'm mystified by their neighbour's house... how exactly do you get into this tower/porch thing?

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.3156...7i16384!8i8192

Old Posted Mar 20, 2022, 1:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamincan View Post
I'm mystified by their neighbour's house... how exactly do you get into this tower/porch thing?

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.3156...7i16384!8i8192
What in the...

Old Posted Mar 20, 2022, 1:21 PM
Cap the Cut!

Quote:
Man, that's one ugly street. And what's with the eyebrows? Is that house staring back at me?

Old Posted Mar 20, 2022, 1:24 PM
Cap the Cut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post

The is Willowgrove square in Saskatoon. New sub-division (built by the city) and the give it a small town feel, the "town square" needs a clock tower. I use to live in this neighborhood. At the time, they had not built any of the commercial yet and did not bother making certain the clock was actually showing the correct time. The entire Willowgrove sub-division is actually well done from an urban design perspective but does feel a little artificial in places.

Perfectly good ground and they built planters for the trees.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2022, 2:38 PM

at least you can tell the time on the Saskatchewan one.. I doubt anyone in Laval or Mississauga have ever looked all the way up to check the time on their clock towers. I've lived and worked in Mississauga for years.. always wished that unfinished looking clock tower on city hall would come down...it's pointless.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2022, 2:52 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Guests had better be on time.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2022, 2:58 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Wow! It even has a sentry guard! The eye windows and barn shape vaguely remind me of the Amittyville horror house. I agree with megadude that you’ve been holding out on us!

Is it also an Ontario and Quebec thing to have asphalt driveways and no sidewalks?

Old Posted Mar 20, 2022, 3:03 PM
Fake News

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post

Old Posted Mar 20, 2022, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Wow! It even has a sentry guard! The eye windows and barn shape vaguely remind me of the Amittyville horror house. I agree with megadude: you’ve been holding out on us!

Is it also an Ontario and Quebec thing to have asphalt driveways and no sidewalks?
That really irks me. Many, many mature neighbourhoods from the past are like this. Some of the richest and most beautiful too. I always wondered about the decision making process back in say the 60's and 70's where places like this were allowed to exist without sidewalks at least on one side of the street. There were more kids back then too, and they spent their time outside.

I see places like Mineola for example, a neighbourhood just north of Port Credit GO station in Mississauga, where you pay $4m for a house, but you have to walk on the narrow roads, sometimes with snow banks further narrowing them. And I'm talking like the whole neighbourhood IIRC: https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.55548...7i16384!8i8192

And mind you, this particular road is often used by commuters using the station so there's a steady flow of traffic at certain times. I wouldn't be jogging here with ear buds in and I wouldn't be pushing strollers on a walk.

I asked this question a few years back, but about industrial areas. That's not as bad since it's only adults and in most places, not a lot of pedestrians. There are certainly some industrial areas that have lots of bus users though, but I can't remember which ones don't have sidewalks.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2022, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
That really irks me. Many, many mature neighbourhoods from the past are like this. Some of the richest and most beautiful too. I always wondered about the decision making process back in say the 60's and 70's where places like this were allowed to exist without sidewalks at least on one side of the street. There were more kids back then too, and they spent their time outside.

I see places like Mineola for example, a neighbourhood just north of Port Credit GO station in Mississauga, where you pay $4m for a house, but you have to walk on the narrow roads, sometimes with snow banks further narrowing them. And I'm talking like the whole neighbourhood IIRC: https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.55548...7i16384!8i8192

And mind you, this particular road is often used by commuters using the station so there's a steady flow of traffic at certain times. I wouldn't be jogging here with ear buds in and I wouldn't be pushing strollers on a walk.

I asked this question a few years back, but about industrial areas. That's not as bad since it's only adults and in most places, not a lot of pedestrians. There are certainly some industrial areas that have lots of bus users though, but I can't remember which ones don't have sidewalks.

not gonna lie, the no sidewalk thing is one of my favourite things about Mineola.. that and the mature trees. I'd be happy to have a sidewalk on my street. Lorne park and Oakville's mature neighbourhoods are mostly like that and I'm living for it.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2022, 7:49 AM

Quote:
Our future Gen-Alpha who will have grown up not knowing how to read an analogue clock.

It will make as much sense as a rotary phone.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2022, 1:23 PM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by 905er View Post
not gonna lie, the no sidewalk thing is one of my favourite things about Mineola.. that and the mature trees. I'd be happy to have a sidewalk on my street. Lorne park and Oakville's mature neighbourhoods are mostly like that and I'm living for it.

I can't speak for the particular road in the streetview link, but I've found that despite the lack of sidewalks places like Lorne Park (we have family there) are actually pretty pleasant to walk in. While I'd prefer sidewalks, the streets are quite narrow which naturally slows down traffic. It's a better experience as a pedestrian than the extremely wide suburban street I grew up on in Calgary that did have sidewalks on both sides.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2022, 1:47 PM

Memento mori?

Do kids even know how to read an analog clock face anymore?

Old Posted Mar 21, 2022, 1:50 PM

Yeah, no sidewalks is kind of a way to tell everyone the street must be shared. It's not incompatible at all with lots of kids playing in/near the street.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada