HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Nov 3, 2017, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
It is a shame this hotel was torn down for what replaced it, though I partly blame the Portland Building for this building being so bland due to the backlash of the design of the Portland Building.
The Portland Building was built after the Orbanco Building / Congress Center was completed.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2017, 10:43 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsbear View Post
The Portland Building was built after the Orbanco Building / Congress Center was completed.
Hmm, I must be confusing it with another bland tower, I always thought this one was designed and built after the Portland Building.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2017, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Hmm, I must be confusing it with another bland tower, I always thought this one was designed and built after the Portland Building.
one main place?

Old Posted Nov 4, 2017, 11:55 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58rhodes View Post
one main place?
No, not that building, I think I am just forgetting old information. Life and having a kid will do that, it has been years since I have studied a lot of this stuff as well.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2017, 1:45 AM

Quote:
No, not that building, I think I am just forgetting old information. Life and having a kid will do that, it has been years since I have studied a lot of this stuff as well.
The Portland Building was completed after almost all the buildings between Taylor and Market Streets and Naito and the Park blocks. Exceptions are the Federal Courthouse, the apartments on 3rd next to Koin Center and building on Broadway that is across from the Heathman (dome cap). Post Modern (Portland Building) was a response to the International Style, not the other way around.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2017, 2:22 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsbear View Post
The Portland Building was completed after almost all the buildings between Taylor and Market Streets and Naito and the Park blocks. Exceptions are the Federal Courthouse, the apartments on 3rd next to Koin Center and building on Broadway that is across from the Heathman (dome cap). Post Modern (Portland Building) was a response to the International Style, not the other way around.
Then disregard what I said earlier, I don't remember the reference anymore.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2017, 4:40 PM

To a small degree I thought the Graves building influenced the state office building on NE Oregon-LLoyd District--which was built in 92/93

Last edited by 58rhodes; Nov 5, 2017 at 6:25 PM.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2017, 2:08 AM

Notice of a Type II Decision on the Modish Building.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Nov 11, 2017, 2:37 AM

Columbia Sportswear considers closing downtown office citing safety concerns

Quote:
Tim Boyle was visibly thrilled last November to announce Columbia Sportswear was moving 45 employees to new downtown Portland offices.

A year later, the company is considering closing the Portland office after its downtown staffers reported a series of frightening run-ins with transients and car break-ins so frequent they've come refer to them as Columbia's "laptop donation program."

The company will decide over the next 90 days whether to relocate the downtown staffers, which now number 50.

(continued...)
https://articles.oregonlive.com/busi..._considers.amp

Old Posted Nov 11, 2017, 3:37 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post
Meh I’m downtown all the time and it’s safe to me. Their only 90 of them anyways

Old Posted Nov 11, 2017, 8:47 AM
A before E

Why are people leaving laptops in their cars? My guess is these laptops and technology devices are being left in plain sight. It doesn't matter where you park your car, your risk for break ins goes up with valuables visible.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2017, 2:19 PM

Have a friend who works there, and it's a pretty mixed bag for them.
I think a lot of the women feel unsafe.

That said, it's sad that our city doesn't do anything about this.
We prioritize vagrants and transients over working class folks trying to get to and from work without being harassed or robbed.

I love the apologists who say 'don't leave your laptops in your cars' - it's their own fault.

Yeah, so, when I leave my laptop in my house, it's ok for someone to break in with ZERO consequences?

That's really how much leeway we give the homeless people downtown?
They are above the law?

Old Posted Nov 11, 2017, 3:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoast View Post

We prioritize vagrants and transients over working class folks trying to get to and from work without being harassed or robbed.

I love the apologists who say 'don't leave your laptops in your cars' - it's their own fault.

Yeah, so, when I leave my laptop in my house, it's ok for someone to break in with ZERO consequences?

They are above the law?
I have to disagree. Your home and visible in a car parked on the street are very different. No one really thinks they deserve it. But it is going to happen. That is life and the nature of cities, any city. You can not leave valuables in plan sight in an unattended car and expect them to be there when you get back.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2017, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post
Tim Boyle and Columbia have a long history of bitching about how awful it is in Portland (all the while looking for tax breaks). "Laptop Donation Program"? Are you fucking serious? What idiot leaves a laptop in their car ANYWHERE in public?

Sure, urban living (working) has its challenges. Especially in these times with mental health care cut to the bone (thanks, Ronnie!) and income inequality acerbating everything else (thanks, Congress!). Personally, I value the vast benefits from living close-in much higher than the discomfort of having to deal with fellow humans experiencing extreme difficulties on occasion.

One question for Tim and the employees working downtown: What are you doing to CHANGE what you see? Are you organizing fundraising? Giving to organizations that assist the most desperate members of OUR society? Doing coat drives for winter? Moving back to the safety of your little tax haven in Washington County will do nothing to move society forward.

Here's a question for everyone who thinks Columbia is justified in their stance here: When someone asks you for change, do you look them in the eye and simply say sorry, not today? I do this multiple times a day, and you know what? 99% of the time I get a "have a nice day", or some other pleasantry. Sure, the occasional person has a less than pleasant retort, but that happens in my office, too. Sometimes people are having a shitty day. I'm amazed that ANYONE living on the streets would tell ME to "have a nice day". I'm also encouraged that by simply treating people down on their luck with the same respect I'd show a CEO of a major US apparel manufacturer that we can have a respectful interaction.

Know this: the vast majority of the houseless folks you see on the street every day are just trying to get by in a world that has stacked the deck against them. Whether it's mental health/addiction, bankruptcy, surviving abuse, or a thousand other reasons, 99.9% of the people in those situations aren't there because they want to be. It is not a fun place to be, so try and practice a wee bit of empathy. Love thy neighbor, and all that.

Or, at the very least, don't be a dick.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2017, 6:23 PM
A before E

Quote:

They are above the law?
Apologists? Is it you who I am arguing with on reddit? Don't leave your laptop in your car is just common sense, someone can break a window easy to steal it. Also, lock your bike up when you leave it anywhere because someone can easily ride off with it if you don't, same rules apply.

There is consequences for someone who breaks into a car, but does that matter to someone with the broken window and a stolen laptop? I personally would prefer my windows to not be broken to begin with. Besides, do you know how fast it is for someone to break a window, take something, and get away before anyone knew they were there. My garage downtown, this happens all the time, though we have managed to curb the problem by a lot with some more security walkthroughs and signage that informs people to not leave valuables in cars, we also stress that fact to anyone who parks in our garage because break ins are a problem.

So thieves are not above the law, but if you can't prove who broke into your car, then the police aren't going to start arresting people that look like they might be vandals.

Eric is spot on with his response as well, most people that are homeless are not criminals, they are people in need, so try not to be a dick to them because often times they too are victims of theft from criminals. Also, I agree if Columbia cared about this issue, they would do something about it rather than try to complain to get handouts over threats of moving. I would rather see them be a part of the solution than just another company complaining.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2017, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric cantona
Tim Boyle and Columbia have a long history of bitching about how awful it is in Portland (all the while looking for tax breaks). "Laptop Donation Program"? Are you fucking serious? What idiot leaves a laptop in their car ANYWHERE in public?

Sure, urban living (working) has its challenges. Especially in these times with mental health care cut to the bone (thanks, Ronnie!) and income inequality acerbating everything else (thanks, Congress!). Personally, I value the vast benefits from living close-in much higher than the discomfort of having to deal with fellow humans experiencing extreme difficulties on occasion.

One question for Tim and the employees working downtown: What are you doing to CHANGE what you see? Are you organizing fundraising? Giving to organizations that assist the most desperate members of OUR society? Doing coat drives for winter? Moving back to the safety of your little tax haven in Washington County will do nothing to move society forward.

Here's a question for everyone who thinks Columbia is justified in their stance here: When someone asks you for change, do you look them in the eye and simply say sorry, not today? I do this multiple times a day, and you know what? 99% of the time I get a "have a nice day", or some other pleasantry. Sure, the occasional person has a less than pleasant retort, but that happens in my office, too. Sometimes people are having a shitty day. I'm amazed that ANYONE living on the streets would tell ME to "have a nice day". I'm also encouraged that by simply treating people down on their luck with the same respect I'd show a CEO of a major US apparel manufacturer that we can have a respectful interaction.

Know this: the vast majority of the houseless folks you see on the street every day are just trying to get by in a world that has stacked the deck against them. Whether it's mental health/addiction, bankruptcy, surviving abuse, or a thousand other reasons, 99.9% of the people in those situations aren't there because they want to be. It is not a fun place to be, so try and practice a wee bit of empathy. Love thy neighbor, and all that.

Or, at the very least, don't be a dick.
Nicely put! I've gained a whole new respect for you. The world needs more people like you.....especially now days.

Last edited by MarkDaMan; Nov 12, 2017 at 1:08 AM. Reason: put "eric cantona" comments in quotes

Old Posted Nov 15, 2017, 3:19 AM

Oregon's tallest building just sold to an investment firm
Updated 4:34 PM; Posted 4:24 PM
By Anna Marum amarum@oregonian.com
The Oregonian/OregonLive

http://www.oregonlive.com/business/i...art_river_home

Quote:
An East Coast private investment firm has bought downtown Portland's Wells Fargo Center from its namesake bank.

Starwood Capital Group, headquartered in Greenwich, Connecticut, will add the property to its $55 billion portfolio, largely made up of real estate investments throughout the world. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

The purchase includes the 40-story tower at Southwest Fifth Avenue and Jefferson Street, as well as the adjacent five-story building connected to the tower via a skybridge. In June, Wells Fargo announced plans to sell the buildings and relocate some of the 900 employees working there to other local offices.

According to a statement, Starwood plans to remodel the lobbies and entries of the tower. It also plans to add conference facilities, a tenant lounge, retail areas, a fitness center and a bike hub.
...(continues)

Old Posted Nov 16, 2017, 1:03 PM

Quote:
Apologists? Is it you who I am arguing with on reddit?
Reddit is like fox news - I avoid those trainwrecks completely.
This site is bad enough with the groupthink, but those places are miles worse.

Yes, I've had my car broken into downtown and stuff stolen.
No, I don't leave valuable in it anymore.
Most of my staff have had similar, so, yes, they all 'learned their lesson'

We live in a city where the police are ineffective.
We live in a city where the victim is blamed when a crime is committed.

All here chuckle that someone could be so dumb as to not know their cars were open fodder for anyone to rifle through.
And we overlook the fact that our downtown has turned into a camping wasteland.
We blame others instead of the actual campers...

It's all just so bizarre.
Everyone here is whistling past the graveyard while the desirability and value of our downtown slowly and silently diminishes.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2017, 7:37 PM
A before E

Quote:
Reddit is like fox news - I avoid those trainwrecks completely.
This site is bad enough with the groupthink, but those places are miles worse.

Yes, I've had my car broken into downtown and stuff stolen.
No, I don't leave valuable in it anymore.
Most of my staff have had similar, so, yes, they all 'learned their lesson'

We live in a city where the police are ineffective.
We live in a city where the victim is blamed when a crime is committed.

All here chuckle that someone could be so dumb as to not know their cars were open fodder for anyone to rifle through.
And we overlook the fact that our downtown has turned into a camping wasteland.
We blame others instead of the actual campers...

It's all just so bizarre.
Everyone here is whistling past the graveyard while the desirability and value of our downtown slowly and silently diminishes.
There is a couple points I take issue with, police are not ineffective, they are understaffed and they have found through legal issues that unless someone is doing something that warrants police interaction, it is best for them to play hands off. So there really isn't anything they can currently do about camping downtown for several reasons. Not all homeless camps are on the city of Portland land, some of it falls on state and other departments. These different owners also have different rules on evicting campers from their land. Basically this is something that needs to be streamlined from the state down if it is ever going to be dealt with in a more efficient manner.

Also telling people to not leave valuables in their car isn't victim blaming, it is just pointing out the obvious that the chances of catching someone who breaks into a car is really slim. It is easy to figure out which cars have valuables in them and when there is no one around. Garages downtown have all gone automated, so there is no one working the booths, so no visible people working in garages and security for garages varies from garage to garage and they tend to work on shifts so security isn't in a garage 24/7. On top of that, the punishment for breaking into a car and stealing stuff is rather light. If caught, one might spend up to a month in jail unless the amount stolen is over $1200 or something like that, which if that happens, then it becomes 3 months at most. Once out of jail, these guys just go back to doing it again.

To prevent this, garages have to increase security and people have to be more aware what is in their cars. These two things are the easiest way to crack down on car break ins.

But as I pointed out, just because someone is homeless on the streets, it doesn't mean they are also a criminal, therefore we shouldn't be treating those on the street as if they are all the same because they are not. There is no one simple solution, and anything that is done is going to require a lot of work and time to help reduce the number of homeless in the city.

As for businesses, that's a mixed one. So far the businesses downtown has lost have been businesses that haven't been keeping up with the times and what consumers want today. The jewelry store that is closing down, I wouldn't be surprised if their profits have been dipping for a long time since that isn't where people go to buy jewelry anymore, and I really question how good it is to run a jewelry store these days anyway. We still have businesses opening up in downtown that better match today's consumers, and these kinds of changes naturally happen in cities with or without a homeless problem.

Obviously the city should not ignore this issue, but I have a hard time any business can use it as their sole reason for closing.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2017, 9:37 PM

#dontbeadick

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland