HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 4, 2014, 4:46 PM
The Salty Ham

Even a regional HQ for a bank that isn't here could be big. Or an existing bank may decide to upgrade and move to a bigger spot like Compass teased us with a few years ago. It would not take a huge investment (when compared to larger cities) to build a signature tower that would stand out and be the crown jewel of the skyline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tascalisa View Post
So, no one seen any blips on the radar about the Legion Field "replacement"?
Not yet. Hope it includes a nice arena for smaller events like basketball too.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2014, 6:13 PM
Burming Hammer

legion field announcement is supposedly 3-6 months away...

... i'm trying not to get my hopes up. i have a feeling it will just be a major renovation in place.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2014, 11:11 PM

Thought.

Birmingham should consider constructing a comedy hall. Used exclusively for bringing in local and natl talent.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2014, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslaughter View Post
Birmingham should consider constructing a comedy hall. Used exclusively for bringing in local and natl talent.
A very good thought. We had one years ago in a conference room in back of what is now Hotel Highlands. I went to one show, and it was well attended. I don't know what happened to cause it to close.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2014, 12:30 AM

Harbert Plaza

Quote:
I agree. The American Life tower i hope will be renovated, it looks like a skeleton of a building now. As for the Liberty building, it should be demolished. It has too many problems and it's ugly. As for new towers, couldn't the foundation for the unbuilt harbert plaza II be used for a 20 story tower?
js- The foundation was built to support a 15-story office tower or hotel.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2014, 1:01 PM
The Salty Ham

Quote:
I would think Uptown would be a great place for that. Or maybe the theater district.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2014, 7:05 PM
Cat Enthusiast

AL.com reports today that designing is ongoing for a $2.5 million pedestrian bridge that will span the tracks that bisect downtown. The bridge will run from 16th St/Morris Ave on the north side of the tracks to Railroad Park on the south side. The city hopes to incorporate lighting similar to that on the Children's of Alabama building.

Looks pretty nice:

LINK to images and main story

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Feb 7, 2014, 12:45 AM
Burming Hammer

wow! i remember hearing about this and, at the time, was not sold.

totally on board with this though!

Old Posted Feb 7, 2014, 12:57 AM
Burming Hammer

can't wait to see what the parkside area looks like in about 5 years.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2014, 5:24 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
wow! i remember hearing about this and, at the time, was not sold.

totally on board with this though!
About two years ago I went out on a date with a guy who had a bit of inside knowledge about this project. He informed my of what was planned (since I've been studying planning at school) but I was sworn to secrecy.

I have to say, he made it seem a bit more grand, but I do think that this design is unique and will actually fit in well with the design of Railroad Park. Although, I do think that the legs of the structure on the north entrance are a bit too "smooth" (if that makes sense). I'd think that a more, polished, industrial look would be more appropriate.

Of course, the design phase is ongoing, so those rendering are by no means the final plan. Looking forward to the end product!

Old Posted Feb 7, 2014, 8:26 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

Question, on that map, what is the planned and future parking for? The park, the Amtrak station and bus terminal, or both? My only criticism of this is that it's a bit disappointing that the site you'll have at that one end of the bridge will be surface parking on both sides. Anything currently on these two blocks against the railroad tracks? Maybe, it's not as detracting as I imagine it could be if the land is already blighted.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2014, 1:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMich View Post
Question, on that map, what is the planned and future parking for? The park, the Amtrak station and bus terminal, or both? My only criticism of this is that it's a bit disappointing that the site you'll have at that one end of the bridge will be surface parking on both sides. Anything currently on these two blocks against the railroad tracks? Maybe, it's not as detracting as I imagine it could be if the land is already blighted.
No there is nothing on those two lots against the tracks, just weeded lots, however I think they were suppose to build a parking deck for the bus terminal on the lot just to the right of the proposed foot bridge. The parking is also to be used for the baseball park that is not shown in the picture but located across the street from Railroad park.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2014, 7:09 PM
Cat Enthusiast

That's a good question LMich. If I had to guess I'd say that it probably wind up being surface parking, which as you said is disappointing. The parking will mostly be for the hub since neither of the buildings seem to contain parking facilities themselves. There is very little parking as there is, so I don't think it would be too unreasonable to assume that the surface parking could just be a placeholder until development activity heats up on that side of he tracks.

I don't really know how important parking is for the hub, I'd think that Amtrak is the only thing where parking might be needed, but I think as it is you're not even allowed to park there overnight. I may be wrong on that, though. Maybe someone who's a bit more familiar with parking in downtown could fill us in.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2014, 10:18 PM
Burming Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMich View Post
here's another TimCity2000 original, showing those 2 current lots:

y'all should pay me for these...

Old Posted Feb 7, 2014, 10:51 PM
Burming Hammer

Old Posted Feb 8, 2014, 2:38 PM
Sarcasm for everyone!

Quote:

I have to say, he made it seem a bit more grand, but I do think that this design is unique and will actually fit in well with the design of Railroad Park.
Doesn't that always seem to be the case? I'm liking the design direction and believe the project has great potential. Especially, if the lighting is tied into the "City Lights" project.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2014, 2:43 PM
Sarcasm for everyone!

Quote:

LINK to images and main story
This image does not appear to be park side. It clearly does not appear to be a parking lot either. I'm reaching here... But I wonder if there is some type of mixed use development planned for this space. That could quickly become hot property. Direct access to the park, access to public transport, access to historic downtown. I could go on.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2014, 2:45 PM
Sarcasm for everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainiac61 View Post
js- The foundation was built to support a 15-story office tower or hotel.
What's the story with this? I've never heard of an existing foundation at Harbert.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2014, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *BRAVO* View Post
What's the story with this? I've never heard of an existing foundation at Harbert.
Not much of a story, just when they built the Harbert building they mentioned that on the 20th street side, which at the time housed a Parisians and the court yard right off 6th avenue, was stressed to handle a 18 story office tower or hotel. Nothing was ever actually planned. There was a picture of the building, it was about 18 floors made of the same material as the Harbert building and it had a sort of an A framed roof like the old Alabama Power Company building. A very attractive build I might add. But that was before this website was ever thought of and probably no pictures of it anywhere on the web.

Last edited by Bamablazer; Feb 8, 2014 at 3:28 PM.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2014, 11:15 PM

Metropolitan Govt?

What is the possibility for birmingham to have a metro gov't??? In order to make more leaps and bounds it needs on in the coming future.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations