HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Jul 17, 2020, 6:08 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Based on the site design for these two buildings, my guess is that the other two buildings on the north side will be reserved for taller, thinner residential towers. Hopefully.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 4:44 PM

Staff Report for Oregon Square Blocks 90 & 103, which recommends approval.

Comparing the site plans between this notice and the loopnet listing above, I see they've scaled back the landscape scope, so that it no longer includes changes at the existing buildings.

https://bsky.app/profile/maccoinnich.bsky.social

Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 6:33 PM

What's the chance something like this moves forward? Seems under-utilized given prior proposals, and a bit risky in today's office climate.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamNorthwest View Post
What's the chance something like this moves forward? Seems under-utilized given prior proposals, and a bit risky in today's office climate.
I'm guessing AAT think that the fundamentals of Portland are strong, and that they'll be able to lease this post-pandemic. Of course, they might just be taking a gamble on getting the project entitled, and hold off on further design work / permitting until they get a significant proportion pre-leased.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 7:33 PM

Drawings [189 MB].

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 9:46 PM
BANNED

What a scale down on what was suppose to be here

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 1:34 AM

Ugh... Uninspiring to say the least.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 3:59 AM

Until that energy sucking, internal facing, half empty mall is demolished the Lloyd will never reach it's full potential. There needs to be a focused master plan to overhaul the most suburban inner district in Portland. There's a ton of value in that land with great connectivity but it needs some help to get it going.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 5:53 PM
Registered Ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
Until that energy sucking, internal facing, half empty mall is demolished the Lloyd will never reach it's full potential. There needs to be a focused master plan to overhaul the most suburban inner district in Portland. There's a ton of value in that land with great connectivity but it needs some help to get it going.
Not that I disagree with your first sentence, but the Lloyd District was included in the adopted 2035 Central City master plan and there's nothing suburban about Lloyd District except for the mall.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterranean View Post
Not that I disagree with your first sentence, but the Lloyd District was included in the adopted 2035 Central City master plan and there's nothing suburban about Lloyd District except for the mall.
I do need to study the 2035 Central City master plan for the Lloyd more. I've mostly been interested in the westside details.

There are a lot of partial and full block drive through restaurants, parking garages, parking lots, underutilized blocks and large roads all over the Lloyd, and I think an intentional plan should be developed that includes what the district should look like after the mall is gone. Maybe that is reflected in the 2035 plan, and as I said I need to go back and review the impacts to the Lloyd.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2020, 10:32 PM

Location: Portland (part-time); warm foreign countries (part-time)
Quote:
I do need to study the 2035 Central City master plan for the Lloyd more. I've mostly been interested in the westside details.

There are a lot of partial and full block drive through restaurants, parking garages, parking lots, underutilized blocks and large roads all over the Lloyd, and I think an intentional plan should be developed that includes what the district should look like after the mall is gone. Maybe that is reflected in the 2035 plan, and as I said I need to go back and review the impacts to the Lloyd.
Step 1 should be demolition of the Lloyd Center mall and restoration of the street grid. Extend the 200 foot block size of the south side of Irvington and the west side of the Lloyd District .

Last edited by DMH; Sep 26, 2020 at 10:33 PM. Reason: Missing word Irvington

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 7:26 AM
A before E

Quote:
I am hopeful the mall will meet the wrecking ball when the MLB decided to expand teams because they need the cash after the pandemic, and giving one of those teams to Portland. Having half of the site be a stadium and the other half be a redevelopment would be a major redevelopment for the Lloyd District.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 7:16 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
I am hopeful the mall will meet the wrecking ball when the MLB decided to expand teams because they need the cash after the pandemic, and giving one of those teams to Portland. Having half of the site be a stadium and the other half be a redevelopment would be a major redevelopment for the Lloyd District.
The stadium is going to terminal 1. Plus the mall just finished a very expensive remodel. I doubt they’ll just demolish it after paying for that

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorbinWarrick View Post
The stadium is going to terminal 1. Plus the mall just finished a very expensive remodel. I doubt they’ll just demolish it after paying for that
I wouldn't be so certain that the stadium will be at that waterfront location. While a stadium on the water would be great, I think the infrastructure already in place in Lloyd is much better suited to host a stadium district. I grew up in Portland and live in Seattle now near Northgate Mall, which is being partially torn down and repurposed as practice facilities for the new NHL team. Northgate was renovated around 2008 but they still decided to redevelop it by 2018.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2020, 2:41 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by grommel View Post
I wouldn't be so certain that the stadium will be at that waterfront location. While a stadium on the water would be great, I think the infrastructure already in place in Lloyd is much better suited to host a stadium district. I grew up in Portland and live in Seattle now near Northgate Mall, which is being partially torn down and repurposed as practice facilities for the new NHL team. Northgate was renovated around 2008 but they still decided to redevelop it by 2018.
The baseball teams has been paying tons of money a month for the last I think 1 year to keep the exclusive deal alive for terminal 1. I think the team from their motivation is hell bent on having a stadium right by the water

Old Posted Sep 29, 2020, 7:56 PM

Quote:
The baseball teams has been paying tons of money a month for the last I think 1 year to keep the exclusive deal alive for terminal 1. I think the team from their motivation is hell bent on having a stadium right by the water
Those payments to hold T1 pale incomparison with the infrastructure costs that would be necessary to be developed to make that site work.

The Lloyd Center already has pretty much everything needed, outside of the actual stadium. It more than likely would be a significantly less costly site to develop.

The Lloyd Center site would also be better for the City as a whole, in my view.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2020, 9:35 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric cantona View Post
Those payments to hold T1 pale incomparison with the infrastructure costs that would be necessary to be developed to make that site work.

The Lloyd Center already has pretty much everything needed, outside of the actual stadium. It more than likely would be a significantly less costly site to develop.

The Lloyd Center site would also be better for the City as a whole, in my view.
In theory yes. But eventually terminal 1 when completed it’ll be a new Portland district that one day we’ll say “wow why didn’t anybody else think about this?” Yes right now it looks daunting but hey that’s the process to have something grand as their planning.

The lloyd center mall eventually can be anything you want it to be. It’s not hard to demolish it and redevelop it

Old Posted Sep 30, 2020, 4:49 AM

Quote:
In theory yes. But eventually terminal 1 when completed it’ll be a new Portland district that one day we’ll say “wow why didn’t anybody else think about this?” Yes right now it looks daunting but hey that’s the process to have something grand as their planning.

The lloyd center mall eventually can be anything you want it to be. It’s not hard to demolish it and redevelop it
I love the idea of terminal 1, but just not sure of the reality. The transit, infrastructure, zoning all seem like big hurdles. I hope im wrong. The lloyd center location is the best fit IMO. The infrastructure, streetways, space and transit are there. Does CX zoning exclude stadiums?

Old Posted Sep 30, 2020, 5:11 AM

Regardless of speculation about baseball, I don't see the Lloyd Center having a long term future. Even before COVID happened it was struggling, having lost Nordstrom, Sears and Marshalls. There were a lot of plans for replacing those anchors with entertainment destinations, such as new cinemas, a Live Nation venue and a bowling alley. All of those efforts seem to have stalled. I can't remember the last time I heard about a new retail store opening in the Lloyd Center, and I'm guessing most existing tenants would only renew on very favorable terms.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2020, 3:26 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Regardless of speculation about baseball, I don't see the Lloyd Center having a long term future. Even before COVID happened it was struggling, having lost Nordstrom, Sears and Marshalls. There were a lot of plans for replacing those anchors with entertainment destinations, such as new cinemas, a Live Nation venue and a bowling alley. All of those efforts seem to have stalled. I can't remember the last time I heard about a new retail store opening in the Lloyd Center, and I'm guessing most existing tenants would only renew on very favorable terms.
Yea whatever happened to the Live Nation and Movie theater. Especially the movie theater that was well into the passing stage. And granted those projects have been stalled waaay before Covid hit.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland