HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Aug 8, 2019, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post
This will be great! and they did away with the Buchanan closure?
Well now we have two forays beyond the tracks with Alta and the battery.

Keep it coming

Old Posted Aug 8, 2019, 10:13 PM
Modulator

I noticed that another block has been fenced up for the Fillmore development. I hope this means a lot of movement will be happening soon.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 1:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
I noticed that another block has been fenced up for the Fillmore development. I hope this means a lot of movement will be happening soon.
You mean for the Aspirant Fillmore tower?

Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 1:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
You mean for the Aspirant Fillmore tower?
No the full first phase of the Fillmore between 5th and 6th ave

Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 6:19 AM
Skyriser

Quote:
This project has been in permitting for a year. It only recently changed hands at long last with the new subdivision.

The site was far from shovel-ready, I suppose cause it’s on some of the oldest dirt in the city. Meanwhile the developer put up that complex on 7th Ave and Osborn.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 1:04 AM

Final building plans for The Haverly were submitted. This is Toll Brother's project near the southeast corner of Thomas and Central. All I could find out about it is it's supposed to have above grade parking with 256 units. Hopefully it has a more urban form than the initial Central/Indian School proposal. So yes, it's Toll Brothers, and they are glacially slow, but final building plans are the last step before building permits, so who knows....LPRN 1906156 if you're interested.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 1:50 AM
Skyriser

Parking is structured on this project, so better than what we've seen from them elsewhere but not as good as the podium project downtown.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 2:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chestnut1 View Post
Final building plans for The Haverly were submitted. This is Toll Brother's project near the southeast corner of Thomas and Central. All I could find out about it is it's supposed to have above grade parking with 256 units. Hopefully it has a more urban form than the initial Central/Indian School proposal. So yes, it's Toll Brothers, and they are glacially slow, but final building plans are the last step before building permits, so who knows....LPRN 1906156 if you're interested.
If Toll brothers actually builds anything ever besides single family homes ill be amazed.

Remember when this was supposed to go on that lot:

Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 5:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chestnut1 View Post
Yeah, that and the Van Buren lot just sitting. These people take forever. I hate that they own that Indian School lot, I doubt they ever build anything there.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 5:23 AM
Skyriser

The Haverly was in design review/development hell for a fair amount of time, it's not like these sites are shovel ready nor are the projects straightforward. I don't know if anyone follows the Site Plan Review meeting notifications or VPC agendas here but they happen.

The Urban Phoenix Project or some other group was having an issue with the number of curb cuts in the early incarnations of Haverly.

I'm also going to guess that Toll, being a single family developer, is bad at complex development of infill multifamily sites, especially being new to Phoenix, and probably have some waterfall development process where nothing can start until every other step happens before it and can't effectively multitask. A greenfield single family development built to a generic zoning code doesn't have these issues.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 5:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
The Haverly was in design review/development hell for a fair amount of time, it's not like these sites are shovel ready nor are the projects straightforward. I don't know if anyone follows the Site Plan Review meeting notifications or VPC agendas here but they happen.

The Urban Phoenix Project or some other group was having an issue with the number of curb cuts in the early incarnations of Haverly.

I'm also going to guess that Toll, being a single family developer, is bad at complex development of infill multifamily sites, especially being new to Phoenix, and probably have some waterfall development process where nothing can start until every other step happens before it and can't effectively multitask. A greenfield single family development built to a generic zoning code doesn't have these issues.
Do Toll Brothers really count as new? they've been proposing multi-family downtown for nearly 15 years now.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 3:52 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Do Toll Brothers really count as new? they've been proposing multi-family downtown for nearly 15 years now.
Exactly. On a side note, Empire took on the Stewart without any high-rise experience with having resistance from the RAA, setbacks do to starting demolition without notifying anyone and a GPLET rejection from Phoenix. Yet, they were still able to build Stewart in a 3 year time frame after announcement. Toll Brothers cannot even get a 4 story multi-family off the ground after many, many years of throwing proposals out there on several lots. In think it will be another 2 years down the road before dirt moves on Thomas or Indian School.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2019, 4:14 PM

The irony is that the Toll Brothers do a lot of multi-family projects back east especially in NYC with no issues!

Old Posted Aug 15, 2019, 6:44 PM

Historic Preservation zoning request for the McElroy-Young house that was threatened with demolition a few months back:

https://www.phoenix.gov/pddsite/Docu...Z/Z-042-19.pdf

https://www.google.com/maps/place/70...!4d-112.073064

Old Posted Aug 15, 2019, 9:20 PM
Skyriser

Quote:
Exactly. On a side note, Empire took on the Stewart without any high-rise experience with having resistance from the RAA, setbacks do to starting demolition without notifying anyone and a GPLET rejection from Phoenix. Yet, they were still able to build Stewart in a 3 year time frame after announcement. Toll Brothers cannot even get a 4 story multi-family off the ground after many, many years of throwing proposals out there on several lots. In think it will be another 2 years down the road before dirt moves on Thomas or Indian School.
I don't believe Toll ever got past a preliminary application for their midtown high-rise proposal. Anyone with, what, $650 can get a PAPP--we certainly saw lots of those through condomania. Going through financing, design review, actual site planning, and preconstruction is another matter.

Again, toll has not been just sitting on this although it looks like that. And Empire/Aspirant has been part of Phoenix real estate for a long, long time.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2019, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
Again, toll has not been just sitting on this although it looks like that. And Empire/Aspirant has been part of Phoenix real estate for a long, long time.
Empire has been a part of the community as long as I can remember, that's correct. It is fair to also remember Toll Brothers is a part of the community as well. I think the distinction between the two is mostly just the fact that Empire made one building work while TB has not produced. If TB produces then they'll have to be lumped back in together in the "two well-funded developers" lot.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2019, 1:09 AM
Skyriser

^ Toll has built forever in Phoenix, but only on greenfield sites as far as I know. Open and shut single family on such parcels doesn't take much brains.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2019, 2:38 PM
Modulator

Not going to post the article since it's not locked. But apparently there are 3 affordable workforce multi-family developments coming to just East of Downtown along 11th, 12th and 20th streets between Jefferson, Van Buren and Roosevelt. I don't recall hearing about these before.

Also, the article mentions Phoenix's "Presidential District"? I'm not familiar with that district or even heard of it. Can anyone enlighten me. Is that an actual district?

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...300902602.html

Old Posted Aug 16, 2019, 3:31 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Also, the article mentions Phoenix's "Presidential District"? I'm not familiar with that district or even heard of it. Can anyone enlighten me. Is that an actual district?
It sounds like an attempt to rebrand the neighborhood traditionally known as Eastlake Park. I predict it will be every bit as successful as Copper Square.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2019, 10:27 PM
Modulator

KTAR article on the 3 complexes going up with a single rendering. Less info than the above source but at least confirms the Eastlake area is about to see a lot of action soon.

https://ktar.com/story/2692569/3-apa...ntown-phoenix/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest