HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted May 5, 2020, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
That's not an SEC issue though. But it certainly doesn't make one popular with stockholders.
You're right, there's no SEC action (yet?); but it's to StoOge's point that he's a danger to his own company.

Old Posted May 5, 2020, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
You're right, there's no SEC action (yet?); but it's to StoOge's point that he's a danger to his own company.
If a CEO says something that hurts the stock price, the SEC doesn't much care. That's an internal issue for the company's Board of Directors.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted May 5, 2020, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
If a CEO says something that hurts the stock price, the SEC doesn't much care. That's an internal issue for the company's Board of Directors.
If Musk is buying shares, or the company is planning a buyback, they would definitely care...

Old Posted May 5, 2020, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookem View Post
If Musk is buying shares, or the company is planning a buyback, they would definitely care...
If there was anything overtly suspicious as that, yes. But that wasn't the case, and the stock has already recovered from his stupid comment.

Old Posted May 9, 2020, 5:20 PM

Hard to say whether or not to take this seriously, but who knows...

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/09/elon...ronavirus.html

Quote:
Frankly, this is the final straw. Tesla will now move its HQ and future programs to Texas/Nevada immediately. If we even retain Fremont manufacturing activity at all, it will be dependen on how Tesla is treated in the future. Tesla is the last carmaker left in CA.

Old Posted May 9, 2020, 5:31 PM
Resident Moron

Quote:
The SEC took action when he pretended there was a PE offer at 420 a share because he was high.

The guy is clearly smart but he's also a snake oil salesman megolomaniac and sometimes companies and founders should part ways.

His tweet storm today is bc California won't let him reopen. He's a child and Twitter is not the place to announce emotional 'decisions' for your company.

Old Posted May 9, 2020, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul78701 View Post
Hard to say whether or not to take this seriously, but who knows...

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/09/elon...ronavirus.html
I came here to post this. I’m telling ya, regardless of whether it’s objectively good for his business, he’s pushing the Texas angle like crazy. It’s like, in his brain, he already has a presence here.

Old Posted May 9, 2020, 6:49 PM

Quote:
I came here to post this. I’m telling ya, regardless of whether it’s objectively good for his business, he’s pushing the Texas angle like crazy. It’s like, in his brain, he already has a presence here.
I’m not surprised by this based on how incredibly frustrated he has been. If Austin somehow lands the Tesla global HQ and a huge factory in the area that would be like getting the next Amazon. This would be so significant to the future of this region.

Old Posted May 10, 2020, 12:41 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoOgE View Post
The SEC took action when he pretended there was a PE offer at 420 a share because he was high.

The guy is clearly smart but he's also a snake oil salesman megolomaniac and sometimes companies and founders should part ways.

His tweet storm today is bc California won't let him reopen. He's a child and Twitter is not the place to announce emotional 'decisions' for your company.
Well, if we can deal with Alex Jones, I suppose we can deal with Elon Musk.....maybe. But he can throw tantrums in Austin, as well. Perhaps we can introduce him to @LesliePoolATX. I'm SURE she would welcome him to HER district. (sarcasm)

Old Posted May 10, 2020, 4:15 PM
Resident Moron

Musk is now saying the California county his plant is in. I don't think this is anything other than a meltdown likely caused by the companies massive debt obligations and a tightening credit market coming up.

Old Posted May 10, 2020, 4:48 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerhoof View Post
I’m not surprised by this based on how incredibly frustrated he has been. If Austin somehow lands the Tesla global HQ and a huge factory in the area that would be like getting the next Amazon. This would be so significant to the future of this region.
As much as I would absolutely love for their Global HQ to be located in Austin, I think it's a long shot. My guess would be the DFW area for the top brass (HQ) and maybe a large factory of some sort for Austin.

Old Posted May 10, 2020, 7:08 PM
Bollywood Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
As much as I would absolutely love for their Global HQ to be located in Austin, I think it's a long shot. My guess would be the DFW area for the top brass (HQ) and maybe a large factory of some sort for Austin.
I disagree. If Tesla comes to Texas, Austin is the spot, both for recruiting and the tech clustering here. Not that Dallas doesn’t have tech, but there’s not much to compare currently between Dallas and Austin from a splash standpoint.

Old Posted May 11, 2020, 3:35 PM

Part of me wonders if Musk really has a sense of what Austin is like. What he seems to like about Texas (which seems to be the classic wild west, hands-off-my-ranch aesthetic) isn't necessarily what makes Austin great. He might actually enjoy hanging out with the oil guys in Houston, but only if it's 1983.

Old Posted May 11, 2020, 4:14 PM

I would put Austin getting the HQ at over 50% and similar odds for the plant being built here as well.

The only other options I have heard are Omaha, Columbus and Nashville. And maybe expanding their NV presence.

Old Posted May 11, 2020, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoOgE View Post
Musk is now saying the California county his plant is in. I don't think this is anything other than a meltdown likely caused by the companies massive debt obligations and a tightening credit market coming up.
I do not think you are adding anything to this topic and insistence on his twitter reaction being a petulant meltdown is a low IQ take.

tesla has reopened factories in china safely and would be following the same protocol for their fremont plant. workers will also not be forced to show up, it would be elective.

but an unelected assemblywoman has decided it is unsafe. and bc of this 10k people will be unable to earn a paycheck. will they be able to next month? idk, its up to her.

does she have a background in manufacturing? lol. is she a doctor? lol. is she familiar with safety and hazard proofing industrial plants? lol.

no, she has none of these credentials, and she is resolutely refusing to defer to any people who have spent their careers in these fields.

tesla is the only auto manufacturer in CA. and they are the #2 exporter in CA. the fact an county level employee has complete control over their ability to operate is absolutely insane and something that is not possible in many states economies. she will costs the state many many billions with this little power play she's doing

but yeah elon is an immature baby with no idea what he's talking about. sure man think whatever you want

Old Posted May 11, 2020, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Part of me wonders if Musk really has a sense of what Austin is like. What he seems to like about Texas (which seems to be the classic wild west, hands-off-my-ranch aesthetic) isn't necessarily what makes Austin great. He might actually enjoy hanging out with the oil guys in Houston, but only if it's 1983.
The factory would be in Hutto in Williamson County.

Old Posted May 11, 2020, 9:23 PM
Resident Moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
I do not think you are adding anything to this topic and insistence on his twitter reaction being a petulant meltdown is a low IQ take.

tesla has reopened factories in china safely and would be following the same protocol for their fremont plant. workers will also not be forced to show up, it would be elective.

but an unelected assemblywoman has decided it is unsafe. and bc of this 10k people will be unable to earn a paycheck. will they be able to next month? idk, its up to her.

does she have a background in manufacturing? lol. is she a doctor? lol. is she familiar with safety and hazard proofing industrial plants? lol.

no, she has none of these credentials, and she is resolutely refusing to defer to any people who have spent their careers in these fields.

tesla is the only auto manufacturer in CA. and they are the #2 exporter in CA. the fact an county level employee has complete control over their ability to operate is absolutely insane and something that is not possible in many states economies. she will costs the state many many billions with this little power play she's doing

but yeah elon is an immature baby with no idea what he's talking about. sure man think whatever you want
He called a rescue worker a pedophile via Twitter and committed securities violations because he wanted to impress his girlfriend with a 420 joke on Twitter. He's an immature child. His business acumen not withstanding, he is not exactly a paragon of stable leadership.

There are ways to engage with local authorities, going on your earnings call and screaming about fascism is probably not one of them.

I also don't take seriously his threats to relocate Tesla to Texas or Nevada. I think that is him lashing out publicly and not a concrete deceleration of anything.

Last edited by StoOgE; May 11, 2020 at 9:33 PM.

Old Posted May 11, 2020, 9:51 PM
Resident Moron

And to follow up on my previous post, he has now (illegally) reopened his factory. His threats to move the factory are posturing because he is desperate to reopen the factory and nothing more.

Old Posted May 12, 2020, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
The factory would be in Hutto in Williamson County.
I think the fact that it's in Williamson County increases the probability that the factory could come to Texas. If you told me that a possible site is in Travis County or within the city of Austin ETJ, I would say there's zero chance. There's no way he's going to trade one oppressive business unfriendly local government for another. I don't see Alder, Casar, or Pool deciding any differently than the Assemblywoman in CA on the matter of opening the factory.

My bet is that he sells his houses in Cali and moves himself and HQ to Lake Tahoe, NV next to the Giga factory, of which he will probably exapand to produce vehicles. Apparently LT on the NV side is where a lot of the tech millionaires are migrating to in order to avoid Cali's high income taxes while staying within a short drive to the valley.

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 7:22 PM

CNBC is reporting that the next Tesla Gigafactory will be in Austin!!!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin