HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Jun 2, 2016, 4:28 PM

How about a "Freedom Trail" for Halifax?

As has been discussed many times, Halifax is one of the oldest cities in Canada and thus has a long and rich history behind it. Problem is, if you're just walking around Halifax you will see some old buildings (the ones still left) and perhaps chance upon a monument or two, but there is no real cohesive, well-documented 'history walk' in Halifax.

Boston has the Freedom Trail:

http://www.thefreedomtrail.org/

http://halifaxbloggers.ca/thelocaltr...ail-boston-ma/

It seems to me that even though Halifax is smaller than Boston, we could have our own version of this if there was some interest at the municipal and perhaps provincial levels of government. Perhaps there could be a possibility of some federal funding if that hasn't been all used up by now.

I think it would be a great thing for tourists to be able to appreciate our city for what it is, but even moreso for locals and new residents to learn and appreciate our history. Personally, having lived here basically my whole life - I've walked by places/items of historical significance for years without realizing how special they were, until some day when I happened to read about it or had stumbled across some information, etc.

Just a thought, but I think it would be a great addition to our city if we someday could have a similar system to Boston's.

Opinions?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues