HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Oct 5, 2008, 1:58 PM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianXSands View Post
...what's terrifying, is that you're not trolling; you're serious. if i post a picture of a heavily decorated neoclassical civic building, will the rapture of its beauty be enough to distract you for a while? the rest of the people here are trying to have a serious discussion.
Just picture one of these ultramodern condos... with pink checked curtains frilled with yards of cheap lace. Doilies. Plaid furniture with wooden legs and armrests... Porcelain poodles... A vacuum cleaner cozy shaped like a cow wearing a dress...

And no, it wouldn't, but it would be very helpful in illustrating something you refuse to acknowledge: there is a gulf between engineering and artistry. The best architects bridge it. The rest, the annoying ones, say there's no need to even acknowledge it, much less bridge it. A few architects, the really, really arrogant and self-righteous ones, will throw out the whole analogy and in so doing, throw out the entirety of human existence as seen through its constructions, because they're also so arrogant as to believe that this era's fads are something more than that.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Oct 5, 2008, 2:47 PM
California goth

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANGELD_SLC View Post
OK here's Frank Gehry's latest and biggest project and a definite masterpiece of modern architecture.

It will be built in Lehi, Utah, on 85 acres. It will contain a Lake, a 450-ft 5-star hotel, with 1 million SQFT of retail, 2,500 residential units. It will be LEED certified, powered by wind/solar/geothermal energy, and act as the southern gateway to Salt Lake City, and it's called....

THE POINT

Photo credits go to DESERETNEWS.COM
That is not a ''definite masterpiece of modern architecture," its a gehry throwaway.

AdrianXSands those buildings are amazing!

Old Posted Oct 5, 2008, 5:57 PM
BANNED

that central tower looks like a bad herzog and de meuron rip off...

Old Posted Oct 5, 2008, 7:30 PM

You can count on Gehry to churn out an irrelevant kitchy POS. The only time he can produce a surprise is when he designs something decent like Beekman Tower in New York.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2008, 11:15 PM
Teutonic Barbar

Do you people got no taste?

It's not like I'd hate any kind of modern architecture, but the stuff Adrian posted is... Horrific, to say the least.

And Gehry's tower gotta be one of the crappiest proposals I've seen in a while.

Architecture is the prosecution of nature in its constructional work. - Friedrich Schinkel

Old Posted Oct 6, 2008, 1:27 AM
illwaukee/crooklyn

Quote:
that central tower looks like a bad herzog and de meuron rip off...
Well now that they designed that pyramid for Paris even Herzog & deMeuron have been making bad Herzog & deMeuron ripoffs.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2008, 1:27 AM
illwaukee/crooklyn

eh? double post

Old Posted Oct 6, 2008, 3:57 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbsenzaehler View Post
Do you people got no taste?

It's not like I'd hate any kind of modern architecture, but the stuff Adrian posted is... Horrific, to say the least.

And Gehry's tower gotta be one of the crappiest proposals I've seen in a while.
please, don't pigeon-hole as a person who is a fan of gehry's work or any other type deconstructionist type of architecture... just because something is weird doesn't mean it has the same modernist foundation as does the work of h&dm, oma, smc_alsop, nouvel, etc...
and whereas i try to judge every project objectively, i have a strong set of architectural believes that forces me to usually dislike the work of gehry, hadid, libeskind, eisenman, etc...
something that is shiny and has an unusual form doesn't necessarily attach itself to my liking. i am, however, a fan of architecture that attempts to make the world more habitable by the human element and is progressively adaptable for the future in a way that is directly related to the society that it is put into.

...but then again, what do i know? i have no taste.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2008, 4:02 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGII View Post
Well now that they designed that pyramid for Paris even Herzog & deMeuron have been making bad Herzog & deMeuron ripoffs.
good ideas are not recyclable even if they're widely applicable and generally flexible to different situations? hmmm...

Old Posted Oct 6, 2008, 4:06 AM

Poor Design Bad Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbsenzaehler View Post
Adrian: The buildings you just brought up belong to the most disgusting excrescences of todays pigheaded modernism.
Just awful 68-brainwashed ideologist junk.

I hope you just posted them in the wrong thread and they were supposed to appear in some "ugly buildings" thread.

Funny thing, I was thinking the same thoughts to myself....what a poor example of good engineering and design.....

Old Posted Oct 6, 2008, 4:58 AM
The World Is Welcome Here

Not to BRAG or anything... but Salt Lake's main public library kicks butt!

Designed by Moshe Sadfe, named library of the year 2006 and it was completed in 2003, I believe. It instantly became a local landmark and is considered one of America's finest examples of progressive architecture.

all the pix are from Flickr

Plyg, Metrosexual, & AVENian

Old Posted Oct 6, 2008, 5:22 AM

Salt Lake City's library is Vancouver's Central library without the stripped-down neoclassical elements in the circular envelope. Same architect, same atrium. The atrium is probably Vancouver's best public indoor space, and the space left over between the circular outer wall and the street corner is one of its most active outdoor plazas. The study desks around the building are very well done as well. The quality of the light in the building and the quality of the spaces in and outside the building are enough for me to overlook that the building is done in a style that I don't particularly like.

I like the odd building in this thread. I think deconstructivism is about as terrible as the pomo crap that is too common here in Vancouver (and Seattle, Portland). That Gehry crap reminds me of Habitat.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2008, 7:44 AM
The World Is Welcome Here

Oh and did I mention the rooftop is a park? You can see the trees on it in the last photo... does Vancouver's have one? I like SLC's better than Vans, but I've never seen it IRL.

Plyg, Metrosexual, & AVENian

Old Posted Oct 6, 2008, 1:09 PM
illwaukee/crooklyn

Quote:
good ideas are not recyclable even if they're widely applicable and generally flexible to different situations? hmmm...
Hardly. I just think the Paris pyramid is a misstep.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2008, 2:18 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGII View Post
Hardly. I just think the Paris pyramid is a misstep.
right... i was kind of being silly. (although i did mean what i said)

also, i don't know how much you read all the trendy architectural journals or magazines and such, but there seems to be a trend amongst our great architectural thinkers such as oma or h&dm of trying to re-invent, or abandon altogether, the skyscraper. i am person very hot on this idea. so i really like these buildings that make attempts to break away from the sort of classical way of massing a tall building.

shrug.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2008, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANGELD_SLC View Post
Oh and did I mention the rooftop is a park? You can see the trees on it in the last photo... does Vancouver's have one? I like SLC's better than Vans, but I've never seen it IRL.
Yeah. Vancouver's has a green roof, which is apparently in the shape of the Fraser delta.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2008, 4:48 PM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fever View Post
Salt Lake City's library is Vancouver's Central library without the stripped-down neoclassical elements in the circular envelope. Same architect, same atrium. The atrium is probably Vancouver's best public indoor space, and the space left over between the circular outer wall and the street corner is one of its most active outdoor plazas. The study desks around the building are very well done as well. The quality of the light in the building and the quality of the spaces in and outside the building are enough for me to overlook that the building is done in a style that I don't particularly like.

I like the odd building in this thread. I think deconstructivism is about as terrible as the pomo crap that is too common here in Vancouver (and Seattle, Portland). That Gehry crap reminds me of Habitat.
Since when was Habitat deconstructivist?

Old Posted Oct 6, 2008, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalziand View Post
Since when was Habitat deconstructivist?
It's not. I should have put that comment in a new paragraph. Sorry for the confusion. Habitat is modernist in the form follows function sense. It's ugly but I like it anyway for its functionalism. Gehry's version throws in unnecessary curves and cantilevers.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2008, 8:09 PM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

^^Ah, that I can agree with.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2008, 9:15 PM
illwaukee/crooklyn

Quote:
right... i was kind of being silly. (although i did mean what i said)

also, i don't know how much you read all the trendy architectural journals or magazines and such, but there seems to be a trend amongst our great architectural thinkers such as oma or h&dm of trying to re-invent, or abandon altogether, the skyscraper. i am person very hot on this idea. so i really like these buildings that make attempts to break away from the sort of classical way of massing a tall building.

shrug.
I see that trend emerging as well, but it seems to me as something akin to Le Corbusier's 60s idealist modernism that 'redefined or abandoned altogether' urbanism, where it looks interesting at least on paper but results in something that is unconscious of what it really is and pretends to be something else altogether. I just see it as a dangerous path and Herzog & deMeuron seems to be slipping along the same path as Frank Gehry when it comes to designing and marketing buildings with ridiculously complex cubical elements.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture