HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 25, 2021, 5:30 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Old Posted Apr 25, 2021, 10:34 PM

There are still a few functioning wood stave sewers in the city, apparently. I have been told that most have been lined with plastic.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2021, 1:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plrh View Post
There are still a few functioning wood stave sewers in the city, apparently. I have been told that most have been lined with plastic.
The city tries to do internal point repairs (relining with resin coated fiberglass) where possible as its less disruptive to traffic.

External point repairs are done on locations where the pipe is missing sections of pipe and has to be dug up to put a new section of repair pipe in.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2021, 3:27 AM
Starring as himself

Very interesting!

Old Posted Nov 4, 2021, 11:54 PM

Saw this photo the other day. Always wondered what was in that lot to the north of 441 Main Street.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2021, 12:21 PM

^ Interesting. I wonder how long it's been gone?

There must be some empty lots/surface parking lots that are over a century old by now, like that one behind the old Birt's Saddlery IIRC. Some might be candidates for heritage protection

Old Posted Nov 10, 2021, 4:35 PM

CTV reported that the Winnipeg Railway Museum is planning to close its doors after 30 years at Union Station. I didn't quite catch the reason, apparently it has something to do with too many problems and repairs needed to the space in the Union Station trainshed?

The operating association at one time wanted to occupy the steam plant at The Forks (where City TV is now) but they couldn't find the money to do it. After so many years of trying I doubt that they will be able to get a full museum built, but I would settle for a nice indoor display somewhere of their crown jewel artifact, the Countess of Dufferin steam locomotive. Maybe at the Manitoba Museum? How about right on the tracks in the Urban Gallery?

I find it curious that all of a sudden the condition of the trainshed has become an issue. Are there going to be repairs done possibly in anticipation of a BRT route going through the station?

Old Posted Nov 10, 2021, 5:30 PM
keep the good times going

https://globalnews.ca/news/8363527/w...home-for-2022/

With trains being such an integral reason for Winnipeg's existence I think it's pretty sad that we don't have a proper train museum.

Last time I visited the train museum I asked someone working in the gift store what they thought about the rapid transit station plans. They told me they doubted it would happen as moving the trains will be very costly (I believe some would need to be lifted out by crane due to track issues/sizes). I guess they were wrong - but I wonder where these trains will go in the meantime?

I hope that these trains don't get dispersed around - I would love to see a new museum at the forks. The article says that's where they hope to stay.

Where are the rich train-loving museum donors at?....

Last edited by peg; Nov 10, 2021 at 5:51 PM. Reason: Added article

Old Posted Nov 10, 2021, 5:40 PM

I still maintain that a Winnipeg museum would be fantastic. So many awesome stories to tell. The Manitoba Museum touches on some of them in the urban gallery and the new little Winnipeg space, but a local museum could go so much further. And with trains having such an integral part in local history, a railway wing to highlight the Countess of Dufferin and some other key artifacts would fit in nicely.

Pardon me while I take a time machine back to 2011 and buy a ton of cheap bitcoin to pay for it all!

Old Posted Nov 10, 2021, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
CTV reported that the Winnipeg Railway Museum is planning to close its doors after 30 years at Union Station. I didn't quite catch the reason, apparently it has something to do with too many problems and repairs needed to the space in the Union Station trainshed?

The operating association at one time wanted to occupy the steam plant at The Forks (where City TV is now) but they couldn't find the money to do it. After so many years of trying I doubt that they will be able to get a full museum built, but I would settle for a nice indoor display somewhere of their crown jewel artifact, the Countess of Dufferin steam locomotive. Maybe at the Manitoba Museum? How about right on the tracks in the Urban Gallery?

I find it curious that all of a sudden the condition of the trainshed has become an issue. Are there going to be repairs done possibly in anticipation of a BRT route going through the station?

Yes CTV’s article mentions Track 1 and 2 are included in the Transit Master Plan

Old Posted Nov 10, 2021, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinCitySparky View Post
Yes CTV’s article mentions Track 1 and 2 are included in the Transit Master Plan
Cool, thanks - I only saw the video clip which didn't mention that, I didn't realize there was an actual story that expanded on it.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2021, 8:20 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

take one of the the empty lots along main next to the tracks and build a tin shid that can be upgraded with a new skin over time?

Old Posted Nov 10, 2021, 8:42 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

anyone seen all the old river peers sticking out lately in the red

Old Posted Nov 11, 2021, 4:11 AM

^Yes, noticed them on Monday while at The Forks. The birds were making good use of them.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2021, 3:36 PM

It's been over 1 year since the last meeting - the Historical Buildings and Resources Committee has finally scheduled a sitting for Nov 19. Reports are provided for the St. Boniface Health Unit (233 Provencher), St. Boniface Police Station/Jail/Courthouse (227 Provencher) and Brookside Cemetery.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2021, 4:55 PM
keep the good times going

...This may make some of you feel old...

I found a really cool video of Winnipeg in 1997:

Winnipeg, 1997
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWqR...L&index=1&t=6s

24 years ago, it's crazy to see Winnipeg so similar yet so different. Lots of good and bad changes - the street trees definitely look healthier in the 90s footage.

This is the Winnipeg I remember as a child in the early 2000s! (I am as old as this footage lol)

Old Posted Nov 16, 2021, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peg View Post
...This may make some of you feel old...

I found a really cool video of Winnipeg in 1997:

Winnipeg, 1997
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWqR...L&index=1&t=6s

24 years ago, it's crazy to see Winnipeg so similar yet so different. Lots of good and bad changes - the street trees definitely look healthier in the 90s footage.

This is the Winnipeg I remember as a child in the early 2000s! (I am as old as this footage lol)
I was a teenager when that video was made. I'm sure if you looked at footage from other place like Calgary, Vancouver, Toronto, Halifax you probably wouldn't be able to believe all the changes. But to be honest things don't look all that different to me looking at back then as compared to now. Some things have changed, like the colours and types of the vehicles on the road, for example, but the built environment is pretty similar.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2021, 5:09 PM
the first stamp is free

Thanks for sharing.

It was cool to see all those long gone car dealerships along Portage. McNaught(?) between Maryland and Sherbrook - I had forgotten how that block looked.

Also United Army Surplus - love it. Back in '97 I went in there semi-regularly for camping and fishing gear.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2021, 9:33 PM

All the theatres were still open. Capitol 1 & 2, the old Northstar 1 & 2, Garrick 4. Eatons and Eaton Place still existed. Music City. Banks were still there, Scotia on Kennedy, CIBC on Hargrave, BMO on Portage, Cliffords. I was surprised how much has changed.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2021, 9:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA in Winnipeg View Post
All the theatres were still open. Capitol 1 & 2, the old Northstar 1 & 2, Garrick 4. Eatons and Eaton Place still existed. Music City. Banks were still there, Scotia on Kennedy, CIBC on Hargrave, BMO on Portage, Cliffords. I was surprised how much has changed.
Being a downtown nerd I used to go to movies downtown a fair bit in those days but you could see the writing on the wall by the late 90s. After the Silver City theatres and Cinema City theatres opened in the suburbs, attendance at the downtown theatres plummeted. They were packed in the early 90s but not even 10 years later they were empty.

I remember going to cinemas like the Northstar, Garrick and Portage Place and they'd be damn near empty and I'd think "they can't go on like this"... and then sure enough they closed.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan