HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jul 25, 2012, 2:01 AM

That's a legit worry. At a time when I'm still cutting down trees and bushes that didn't survive the damage from last year's drought because I was forced to conserve water, I can't see introducing new golf courses anywhere in Central TX at this time. They waste an amazing amount of water to entertain a select few.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2012, 12:47 AM

Pflugerville approves incentive deal for data center

Quote:
By Marques G. Harper AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Published: 7:21 p.m. Wednesday, July 25, 2012

PFLUGERVILLE — The Pflugerville City Council unanimously approved Tuesday night modifying a development agreement that calls for the city to build Pfluger Farm Lane as part of a new data center project planned near Stone Hill Town Center.

The road will extend from Pflugerville Parkway to Town Center Drive through the 350-acre tract of land owned by Terrell Timmermann, making the land accessible for future development.

Timmermann will receive $2 million in tax rebates if he brings $25 million of office and retail development to the tract, according to Pflugerville Community Development Corp. Executive Director Floyd Akers. The city also agreed to build $2 million of electrical infrastructure for the data center including an electrical substation for the site.

"We think it's very well suited for retail," Akers said. "That road will open up a whole lot of roadway for citizens to use."

Akers said the original agreement with Timmermann said he would receive millions in tax rebates for improvements he made to the land as well as waived wastewater and water fees

Akers said he expected work to start on the data center and the road in the next six months. He said Dallas-based Dimension Capital Partners will develop the site, which is expected to include three to six buildings totaling 600,000 square feet. .
http://www.statesman.com/news/local/...r-2422328.html

Old Posted Jul 26, 2012, 11:37 PM

This is good news for the retailers and food joints in the under used Stone Hill Town Ctr. Except for the Super Target and Home Depot, the place looks deserted most of the time. Actually, that's why I like it.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2012, 4:19 AM
Meh

Austin's trying to control the virus and Round Rock is driving the monkey to the airport.

http://www.statesman.com/news/local/...r-2423031.html
Quote:
Round Rock to buy another downtown tract for future parking lot

By Benjamin Wermund

Published: 9:28 p.m. Thursday, July 26, 2012

ROUND ROCK — It will take 14 separate contracts, but the city has taken step another toward alleviating parking problems downtown.

The City Council voted unanimously Thursday to purchase a piece of land behind a strip of businesses along the north side of Main Street for public parking.

The city will spend $100,000 on the property, which is owned by 14 descendants of Cecilio and Jesusa Gonzales.

City Attorney Steve Sheets told the council the deal has taken at least five years because the heirs are scattered across the country.

Sixty-year-old Steven Gonzales, who lives in Round Rock, said he was glad the family land would help the progress of the city.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2012, 12:36 AM

Thank you Mr. Gonzales. DT RR can now progress. I will soon be able to hang out in beautiful downtown RR thanks to the soon to be available extra parking. I'm hoping they will put portajohns on every street corner so it will be more convenient to relieve myself too. Call it "Park and Poop" .

Last edited by the Genral; Jul 28, 2012 at 2:53 AM.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2012, 12:50 AM
~Hook'em~

lol

Old Posted Jul 28, 2012, 4:58 AM

hahaha, do people really even go to their "downtown?"

Old Posted Aug 4, 2012, 5:34 PM
Meh

Yay, more sprawl.

http://www.statesman.com/news/local/...4-2427685.html
Quote:
Expanding Leander: Annexations would expand city by 14 percent by end of year

By Benjamin Wermund

Published: 8:35 p.m. Friday, Aug. 3, 2012

LEANDER — Just months after taking in nearly 2,000 acres the largest annexations in its history Leander is in the process of acquiring hundreds more acres on the east side of the city, which is on track to expand 14 percent geographically by the end of the year.

Once built out, the roughly 340 acres along the Ronald Reagan Boulevard corridor, where the city expects to see significant development, could add about $200 million in property value to the city's tax rolls, City Manager Kent Cagle said. That would be an increase of about 11 percent, he said.

"Most of it's undeveloped — it's not going to add a whole lot of value just by adding raw land, but we expect we'll have a fair amount of development," Cagle said. That development should begin within the next year, he said.

Mayor Chris Fielder said the city generally tries to stretch its borders by 8 to 10 percent annually, but the city's annexation schedule has slowed over the past few years because of the dip in the economy.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2012, 12:01 AM
Meh

All the more reason for Round Rock and the other suburbs in Williamson County to grow up instead of out. Reduce the amount of ground being covered by asphalt, concrete and buildings.

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/bl...in-may-be.html
Quote:
Salamanders may slow development north of Austin
Austin Business Journal by Colin Pope, Editor
Date: Friday, August 24, 2012, 1:54pm CDT

Colin Pope
Editor- Austin Business Journal

Concern is growing north of Austin in Williamson County over the prospect that three salamanders will be added to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Department's endangered species list.

If they're added to the list many fear it could make developing land north of Austin more difficult. The Cedar Park City Council was the latest to chime in on the issue. It approved a resolution Thursday night opposing the proposed designation.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2012, 5:31 PM
Meh

You can see more projects at Texas State University here:
http://www.fss.txstate.edu/planning/...struction.html

Texas State University student housing project in San Marcos. It looks like two buildings that are 6 to 7 floors each.

Residence Life Housing- West Campus

Quote:
Programming: Facility Programming and Consulting
Architect/Engineer: SHW Architects, Austin
Total Project Cost: $60,468,000
Contractor (CM@R): Spaw Glass Construction
Design Development Approval: July 25, 2012
GMP Approval: August 2012 (Projected)
Construction Start: Fall 2012 (Projected)
Construction Completion: Summer 2014 (Projected)
Occupancy: Fall 2014 (Projected)
Quote:
This project is planned to accommodate 578 beds with a room configuration that includes two bedrooms and an adjoining bath (suite style without any additional living space), a small community building, seminar/ meeting rooms, offices, small group study rooms and lounges. The new hall location is at the site cleared upon demolition of the University Performing Arts Center. Facility Programming and Consulting completed the program document for the first 600-bed Residence Life West Campus Housing project including West Campus utility infrastructure enhancements required to support the new residence hall.

Status: SHW Architects prepared the Design Development Binder that was presented and approved by the Board of Regents at a special call meeting on July 25, 2012. Spaw Glass was selected as the CM@R and is currently providing Pre-Construction Services. The draft Guaranteed Maximum Price will be submitted to the system office in August, 2012.

Rendering - http://www.fss.txstate.edu/planning/...ction/wch.html

Old Posted Sep 10, 2012, 4:38 AM
Meh

http://www.statesman.com/news/local/...e-2454418.html
Quote:
Plans for Lakeway medical campus going forward despite lawsuit, officials say

By Marques G. Harper

Published: 7:27 p.m. Sunday, Sept. 9, 2012

LAKEWAY — Representatives for the Lakeway Regional Medical Center and the proposed Lakeway Medical Village say plans for the 93-acre campus are moving forward despite a lawsuit recently filed by a former partner involved with the project.

Construction is expected to begin early next year on a medical office building and independent living center, and a 126-room, four-story La Quinta Inn & Suites will likely open next summer, Canfield said. Plans on Phin-Ker's website show a pair of two-story retail sites as well as a bank and restaurant that would be built on land closer to FM 620.

Also, a 150-unit assisted-living community is planned for the site. Paul DeNucci, manager for DeNucci Constructors, said construction could start in November with a spring 2014 opening.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2012, 3:18 AM
Meh

http://www.statesman.com/news/local/...inglePage=true
Quote:
Different directions for Cedar Park, Leander on public transportation

By Benjamin Wermund

Published: 8:49 p.m. Monday, Sept. 24, 2012

CEDAR PARK — Austin's northwest neighbors Cedar Park and Leander have a lot in common.

The two bedroom communities are both growing at a pretty quick clip — about 5 percent from 2010 to 2011, according to the U.S. Census Bureau. While Cedar Park is considerably larger than Leander — 51,283 residents compared with 26,708 — both cities have spent decades dealing with that growth.

But Cedar Park and Leander, where a majority of the working population makes the daily commute to Austin and other cities, have taken essentially opposite approaches to public transportation and development.

Cedar Park residents voted out of Capital Metro 14 years ago, allowing them to keep some sales tax revenues for local projects that otherwise would have funded the transit system. Leander residents — and a portion of their sales taxes — have stayed with Capital Metro, which has brought the MetroRail and bus service that officials hope will draw development.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2012, 5:14 AM

Also mentioned in the article:

Quote:
Capital Metro officials say license plate surveys at area transit stations show a "significant" number of Cedar Park residents drive to bus stops and rail stations outside of the city.

"From a big picture perspective, that creates equity issues — these other folks' sales tax goes to support the service," Hemingson said.

[SNIP]

In the Dallas area, the transportation authority has started charging for parking at stations — but only for riders from outside member cities. Hemingson said Capital Metro doesn't have plans to do the same, but it could look into a similar program in the future.
That's what they should do for the Cedar Park residents who don't support Capitol Metro through sales taxes, but are still able to make the short drive to the Lakeline station and take the train from there.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2012, 7:10 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarMike View Post
Also mentioned in the article:

That's what they should do for the Cedar Park residents who don't support Capitol Metro through sales taxes, but are still able to make the short drive to the Lakeline station and take the train from there.
I agree. If they use our service they should pay one way or another.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2012, 4:09 PM

I live in Cedar Park and I agree. I thought we paid for it since there is a station ~1 mile from my house. I still drive to downtown a bit simply because unless everything I want to do is within walking distance (I have no problem walking miles), but my wife won't always be up for that. I am looking at getting us both bikes so we can take it on the train to get around more downtown, but the wife would need practice before trying to bike around downtown and its dangers.

What I really want is the downtown light rail that I could just drive or bike to the Lake Line station and never have to worry about parking in downtown again. I know I can take the bus from the downtown station, but the wife has had bad experiences with it in the past. Sadly I have moved out to the "burbs" for the love of my wife, but I still use capital metro and would use it even more with light rail downtown. My other dream is to take the train 1 mile from my house to the airport and say goodbye to ever seeing I35 or South 183 again.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2012, 5:56 AM
Meh

Texas State University is booming in San Marcos.

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/bl...ty-breaks.html
Quote:
Texas State University breaks enrollment record

Austin Business Journal
Date: Monday, September 24, 2012, 7:23am CDT

Texas State University in San Marcos broke its total enrollment record for the 15th consecutive year.

The university enrolled 34,229 students this year, YNN reports.
The school is also expanding, with nearly half a billion dollars worth of construction underway.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2012, 6:31 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
I agree. If they use our service they should pay one way or another.
I would like to point out that this DART paid parking scheme only occurs at end-of-line stations on the city's north side (Red, Green, and soon Orange) lines. All the other station parking lots are still free. And not surprisingly, the numbers parking at the paid lots have fallen about the same amount as those parking at the next to end stations have risen. So effectively all DART did was make them change where they parked.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2012, 7:53 PM
~Hook'em~

Electricron, does DFW have the same sort of thing like Austin has with like Round Rock and the other northern cities which opt out of regional transit to avoid taxes?

Old Posted Sep 29, 2012, 4:29 PM

KevinFromTexas...

The buzz of construction activity at Texas State unbelievable. The university is really looking to go places. And it's a rather nice looking campus.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2012, 5:44 PM

Yeah, it really needs to just keep growing. UT cant really take in too many more students and with the area continually growing we need to have places for our populace to continue with their education.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin