HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

FMC Tower at Cira Centre South in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 5:31 PM

20151021_100744 by , on Flickr

Old Posted Oct 23, 2015, 12:40 AM
Hello

Sleek, beautiful, amazing addition to the skyline.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2015, 2:23 PM

Old Posted Oct 23, 2015, 3:57 PM

Update from Building Philly

More photos here:
https://www.facebook.com/BuildingPhilly

Old Posted Oct 23, 2015, 4:14 PM

^^^ Looks like things are about to go onward and upward!

Old Posted Oct 23, 2015, 6:25 PM
I Couldn't Tell Anyone

October 23

Old Posted Oct 23, 2015, 6:57 PM
Always Lookin' Up

The beginnings of concrete forms ??

Old Posted Oct 25, 2015, 6:25 PM

Update from Building Philly

More photos here:
https://www.facebook.com/BuildingPhilly

Old Posted Oct 25, 2015, 6:29 PM

Old Posted Oct 25, 2015, 6:57 PM

Engineers, in a structure like this in which a concrete frame sits atop a steel frame, how do they secure the concrete frame to the steel to, say, prevent the concrete ever from shifting/unmooring in the highly unlikely event of a particularly violent shock? Do they extend steel tubes of reinforced concrete down into the steel frame from the base of the concrete frame to make sure it can't budge? Just curious.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2015, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cro Burnham View Post
Engineers, in a structure like this in which a concrete frame sits atop a steel frame, how do they secure the concrete frame to the steel to, say, prevent the concrete ever from shifting/unmooring in the highly unlikely event of a particularly violent shock? Do they extend steel tubes of reinforced concrete down into the steel frame from the base of the concrete frame to make sure it can't budge? Just curious.
I asked a similar question last week. FMC with the concrete top. CITC with the core pushed to the corner instead of the center. The "floating" foundation of One Riverside. The unique designs of "the Bridge" and 2100 Market have all made me curious what earthquake regs Philly buildings have to meet? Seismologists have talked for decades about how the east coast is overdue for a major quake of 6.5 or more. I'm not exactly afraid of calamity as much as i am curious if anyone knows what standards east coast cities have to meet for resistance to quakes and high winds etc. Making buildings strong enough to resist disaster is a fascinating part of the architecture for me

Old Posted Oct 25, 2015, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Rai View Post
I asked a similar question last week. FMC with the concrete top. CITC with the core pushed to the corner instead of the center. The "floating" foundation of One Riverside. The unique designs of "the Bridge" and 2100 Market have all made me curious what earthquake regs Philly buildings have to meet? Seismologists have talked for decades about how the east coast is overdue for a major quake of 6.5 or more. I'm not exactly afraid of calamity as much as i am curious if anyone knows what standards east coast cities have to meet for resistance to quakes and high winds etc. Making buildings strong enough to resist disaster is a fascinating part of the architecture for me
I assume the buildings here are designed to withstand earthquakes and other shocks. I mean, I'm guessing the concrete doesn't just sit on top of the steel. It must be fastened somehow.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2015, 11:29 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Rai View Post
I'm not entirely sure how we can be "overdue" for a major earthquake. The East Coast isn't exactly a very seismically active area, and unless there's a New Madrid fault nobody knows about lurking, there isn't much of anything that could even generate a quake of that magnitude around these parts.

(That said, it doesn't hurt to earthquakeproof things.)

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Oct 26, 2015, 2:21 AM

026 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

037 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

Old Posted Oct 26, 2015, 8:24 PM

I was wondering if trusses would be erected on the North side but I assume not due to the smaller footprint for the upper floors. The square footage on each floor seems really small when you consider the core.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2015, 12:51 AM

Old Posted Oct 27, 2015, 2:13 AM

Awesome shot MikeNigh!!!

Old Posted Oct 27, 2015, 3:19 AM

Yes, definitely an amazing shot! Love the density and lighting in the picture.
Also, did the thumbnail for this thread just change? Just wondering.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2015, 3:50 AM

That should be a good vantage point for when the Pearl project really gets up there as well!

Old Posted Oct 27, 2015, 5:32 AM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
I'm not entirely sure how we can be "overdue" for a major earthquake. The East Coast isn't exactly a very seismically active area, and unless there's a New Madrid fault nobody knows about lurking, there isn't much of anything that could even generate a quake of that magnitude around these parts.

(That said, it doesn't hurt to earthquakeproof things.)
But it is and there is- witness the recent Virginia quake. Boston and Charleston both got significant earthquakes during colonial times. The label of 'major' earthquake is a bit relative compared to west coast standards, where major would be 7.5-8 and up. 6 would be major on the east coast precisely because earthquakes are less common. The bedrock also makes a difference between the east coast and the west coast. In general, bedrock on the east coast is very strong, and allows the seismic energy of even small earthquakes to spread much farther before dissipating than on the west coast; affecting disproportionately large areas.

Philly's seismic hazard is above background levels, but not as high as New York, Boston, Richmond, or Charleston; with Charleston actually being almost on par with New Madrid or the west coast.

As to the original question of how concrete is anchored to the steel structure, these nifty shear studs are welded to the steel and then embedded in the concrete when poured.

http://www.panchsheelfasteners.net/s...s-1495502.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive