HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 18, 2023, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newstart View Post
I agree in respect to the seacan projects. Those are ridiculous. BUT 7.75 Mil from the Feds. I can only imagine the province is kicking in something too. approximately 300,000/door by the time the dust settles, that seems to me like more than a market project costs to build. If its supposed to be rapid there is a benefit I suppose, but it doesn't seem too rapid to me, AND if its got a useful lifespan of 10-20 years, vs a traditional build, isn't that just kicking the problem down the path for another generation to deal with vs providing real long term housing solutions?
I think those modular builds should last 50+ years with some maintenance.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2023, 6:57 PM

Throwback to the Summer of 2012 and what could have been a great infill for Scarth Street.

Scroll to the end to see what the site looks like today…

Currently…

Last edited by one_brick_at_a_time; Apr 22, 2023 at 7:18 PM.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2023, 6:21 PM

Of course it looks like that. We might need to expand that parking lot and can't do that if you let a building go there. /s

Old Posted Apr 23, 2023, 7:46 PM

FINALLY was able to search and find the original proposed building to take the parking lot next to the Delta Hotel. Former Mayor Fougere had been quoted saying the parking lot would be “only three years at the most” and here we are 10 years later with another empty lot.

“It used to be the site of the Black Block, an apartment building containing 46 units of affordable rental housing — some of the most inexpensive rental in central Regina.“

March 2013

https://prairiedogmag.com/some-parti...t-parking-lot/

November 2012 (regarding the developer)

https://prairiedogmag.com/westland-t...ancy-drawings/

Old Posted Apr 24, 2023, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one_brick_at_a_time View Post
Throwback to the Summer of 2012 and what could have been a great infill for Scarth Street.

Scroll to the end to see what the site looks like today…

Currently…

That's a shame as that is exactly the type of development needed in the area. What was the reason this fell through? City didn't approve the zoning amendments?

Old Posted Apr 24, 2023, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
I think those modular builds should last 50+ years with some maintenance.

well i sure hope this one is better than the Deveraux Modular Builds that are less than 10 years old and look like a dogs breakfast. The pictures I've seen of the interiors are cheap and flimsy too which will not hold up in a supportive housing style project IMO

Old Posted Apr 24, 2023, 8:42 PM

Quote:
well i sure hope this one is better than the Deveraux Modular Builds that are less than 10 years old and look like a dogs breakfast. The pictures I've seen of the interiors are cheap and flimsy too which will not hold up in a supportive housing style project IMO
Which Deveraux builds ae modular?

Old Posted Apr 24, 2023, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboy View Post
Which Deveraux builds ae modular?
Rochdale Estates, Skypointe and I believe Sterling Manor. Not sure about others.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2023, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Rochdale Estates, Skypointe and I believe Sterling Manor. Not sure about others.
They don't seem to have any trouble renting them. I feel that Newstart may be a competitor who does traditional builds?

Old Posted Apr 24, 2023, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
They don't seem to have any trouble renting them. I feel that Newstart may be a competitor who does traditional builds?
Don't I wish. Nope.

Just don't think Modular Construction is appropriate for long term housing compared to bricks and mortar construction. I have yet to see a well built modular project anywhere in North America that doesn't need major re/re down the road.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2023, 3:41 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure Sterling Manor is. None of the other Deveraux apartments in the Greens have been and they are all Deveraux. As for their longevity, I can't speak from experience but the buildings on Angus and 15th, and 15th and Montreal seem to be holding up aesthetically well.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2023, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboy View Post
I'm not sure Sterling Manor is. None of the other Deveraux apartments in the Greens have been and they are all Deveraux. As for their longevity, I can't speak from experience but the buildings on Angus and 15th, and 15th and Montreal seem to be holding up aesthetically well.
Sterling Manor is at the entrance to the Greens. but like I said I don't know if it is or not. I know for sure the other ones mentioned are, as its stated on Deverauxs website. It certainly has the appearance of Modular Build.

I know they no longer build modular, as I believe they even realized it wasn't the best model in the long run.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2023, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Sterling Manor is at the entrance to the Greens. but like I said I don't know if it is or not. I know for sure the other ones mentioned are, as its stated on Deverauxs website. It certainly has the appearance of Modular Build.

I know they no longer build modular, as I believe they even realized it wasn't the best model in the long run.
Sorry, my comment should have read " I'm not sure Sterling Manor is modular". I live in the Towns and go by it about once a day! Either way, good on them if they realized it's not a suitable building method. Even their newest to the back of the Acre 21 development seems to be an improvment over Sterling Manor. The new buildings have underground parking, modern materials and no unsightly HVAC exhaust facing the street as Sterling has. Do you know much about the two modular buildings I mentioned?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan