HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoboZill4 View Post
The Orange line has probably saved me 10k because I've never had to buy a car. This is the sort of stuff people don't think about in many neighborhoods I feel...

And to mariothisu's comment on the NYC people not seeing anything interesting on the ride in.... if you get a north facing seat (left side of the car), you get a great view of the city on a non-overcast/hazy day
Relying on the El has allowed me to own un-reliable cars for 4 (!) decades now. Give the Orange line some time to foster the kind of development you think looks good, it will. In the meantime enjoy the view of a real working city.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 4:28 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
Give the Orange line some time to foster the kind of development you think looks good, it will. In the meantime enjoy the view of a real working city.
You mean views like this one:

https://goo.gl/maps/FLjHAm1tudTGhP4H9

Yes, I get it, it was a cheap way to get a ROW for an L line, so that's fine.

Point is, the Orange Line has already been around for a few decades, and very little TOD to show for it in what has been a 25 year long renaissance for cities and nationwide renewed interest in urbanism.

How about some massive zoning increases and an improvement in the scenery?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post

Point is, the Orange Line has already been around for a few decades, and very little TOD to show for it in what has been a 25 year long renaissance for cities and nationwide renewed interest in urbanism.

The strips malls are horrendous for sure but the neighborhoods around the halsted, ashland and 35th archer stops are already pretty urban and walkable.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiPlanner View Post
Any word if it'll be the Lucien Lagrange building?

What’s the glass building behind the awful Lagrange building?

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 5:00 PM

I can't find any images of it, but it's this:

New Gold Coast Condo Tower Seeks Plan Commission Approval

The article is from February 2016.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 5:27 PM

Quote:

It seems like TOD is starting to happen around the Orange line despite an awful pedestrian experience around most stops like the Ashland one you pointed out. I ended up buying along the Green Line in Bronzeville mostly because I couldn't fathom walking half a mile to a stop like that one (plus Bronzeville is closer to the lake and prettier overall even with plenty of blighted areas). I would hate having to regularly take the train from a station that intersects with an expressway.

That said, when I often transfer to the Orange Line at Roosevelt on my way to work, since I work along the river on the west side of the loop, the trains always seem to be full (not packed but full). So the line seems to be well used during rush hours, but I haven't reviewed any CTA stats.

The hilarious part about the Orange line has always seemed to be where it goes past Western and then it jets backwards again -- what a crazy, inefficient ROW!

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 5:44 PM
Urbane observer

Quote:
Have you not noticed the change around the Roosevelt stop since 1992? And now under way around Halsted? All the new housing units being built near 35th?

We live in a metro area that's not growing. Reformation of the urban landscape is bound to be mostly slow and steady.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 6:08 PM

Quote:

But they're not really desirable neighborhoods to attract developers with giant TODs.
People love to talk about DC Metro's TODs, but the Orange Line in Fairfax County took decades to develop around it's stations as well. Same for the Blue Line. Same for many parts of Maryland suburbs with metro stations.
These places were stagnant with growth for a long time. But nobody wants to talk how long it's taken because Arlington/Alexandria/Bethesda were successful.

Chicago is somewhat new to the "new" giant TOD development craze in general.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 7:16 PM

Bush Temple of Music Tower - 810 N Clark

Sept 18

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 8:31 PM

Bentham Condos - 146 W Erie

Sept 9

Brick wall meets limestone block ( now behind concrete )

Sept 13

Sept 16

I sense a parking ramp .....

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 9:00 PM

The Bentham's graphic design / brand identity is so dated already. It looks like the kind of signage I'd expect in Florida in the 1980s.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 9:30 PM

Old Town Park

Sept 11

Sept 18

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 10:23 PM

Renelle on the River - 403 N Wabash

Sept 10

Sept 11

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 11:18 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
But they're not really desirable neighborhoods to attract developers with giant TODs.
People love to talk about DC Metro's TODs, but the Orange Line in Fairfax County took decades to develop around it's stations as well. Same for the Blue Line. Same for many parts of Maryland suburbs with metro stations.
These places were stagnant with growth for a long time. But nobody wants to talk how long it's taken because Arlington/Alexandria/Bethesda were successful.

Chicago is somewhat new to the "new" giant TOD development craze in general.
But there's lots of ways to concentrate housing near transit. We don't have to sit around and wait for the market to be ready for sleek modernist midrises.

For one, we could be pro-active about upzoning these areas to lay the groundwork. You wouldn't see highrises overnight, but you might see 3-flats and 4-flats going up. Bridgeport and McKinley Park are all RS-3 except for the arterial streets (and developing housing on those streets is more expensive for a variety of reasons). If the ADU ordinance ever passes, I imagine these will be prime locations to build out garden units and wood-frame coach houses on residential blocks.

Also, the zoning code allows parking reductions near transit, but not on residential blocks! Even if they did upzone to RT4 and allow new 3-flats to be built, you'd still need to provide 3 off-street spaces. Let's do something about that!

Lastly, to the extent that we invest in public or subsidized housing in neighborhoods that can't support new market-rate construction, that new housing should be located near rail lines.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 11:56 PM

That's true, and it's frustrating LA hasn't done the same with the blue line in south LA a long time ago. The city is finally planning/building build more affordable developments near those stations. That's also true for the new Crenshaw and Expo lines. Although those two lines are attracting big tod development.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicubs111 View Post
So this is still whats on drawing board for this site as far as we know? ..anyone got details on height?
Im gonna guess around 580 feet to top bc Lucien LaGrange always likes his mansard roofs and mini spire/ lightening rods. I wish he wouldn't have those French style roofs on his buildings they just look odd in my opinion but alas adds detail to the all glass craze ill take it.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 1:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisouthside View Post
The strips malls are horrendous for sure but the neighborhoods around the halsted, ashland and 35th archer stops are already pretty urban and walkable.
Plus you can't really see that strip mall from the L because of the Stevenson... regardless, much of the Orange line goes through industrial sectors (like Harry eluded to) and culturally rich and historical working class neighborhoods. It's not sexy, but it's Chicago as Hell.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 1:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hourstrooper View Post
Im gonna guess around 580 feet to top bc Lucien LaGrange always likes his mansard roofs and mini spire/ lightening rods. I wish he wouldn't have those French style roofs on his buildings they just look odd in my opinion but alas adds detail to the all glass craze ill take it.
thanks for info... Yea i mean its all about the material quality which lagrange skips on...there designs could work...say if the roof was made of copper and turned that nice patina green i could see it being quite attractive...

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 3:43 AM

Chicago | 353 W Grand

Sept 10

Pretty sure this is from this site

Sept 11

Old Posted Sep 20, 2019, 1:14 PM

I think the crane in your first picture is Superior House, Harry. The 353 W Grand tower has a red crane, right?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations