HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

The Trillium on South Park in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Halifax Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Nov 30, 2011, 9:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyeas View Post
@#$% I had forgotten about those bloody lighthouses... or maybe had just repressed it. That is SUCH a missed opportunity. Public art can be a huge defining influence on an area, and we had a chance here to do something that made a "statement". Instead the statement is "the best we could do is chintzy light-houses that we picked up on sale for $5.99 at Murphy's-on-the-water".
You are right. My favourite public art in Halifax still is in the Art Gallery of Nova Scotia courtyard. I would have loved to see something like this at the Trillium.

Photo by me

Old Posted Nov 30, 2011, 9:48 PM
Urban Thinker

Love that sculpture as well.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2011, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the budget for this was something like $100,000...
Art for art's sake
Money for god's sake

10 CC

Old Posted Dec 1, 2011, 1:00 AM

Most of the architectural lighting that you see downtown (starfish, discovery, and the store on Quinpool road are all from a company called Ledelco. The site is www.ledelco.com They have some pretty nice stuff..

Old Posted Dec 3, 2011, 4:36 PM

Photos by me:

Old Posted Dec 3, 2011, 7:12 PM

Forgot to post this one I took earlier....

Old Posted Dec 3, 2011, 7:32 PM
BANNED

I'm lovin' the Trillium, from all angles.

C'mon, Queen Street developments...!

Old Posted Dec 5, 2011, 4:16 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Tonight there was an article in ANS about the Trillium and how Fred MacGillivray is moving in, etc. etc.

Some of the commentary from Fares in these articles is a little over the top. For example, saying this is the first major residential development downtown in 20 years is an exaggeration. Bishop's Landing has far more units, as does the Paramount. The Paramount and Martello are both highrises of similar height. Actually the Garden Crest development also has more units, although it might not be considered "downtown".

I think it's harmful to leave these misleading comments unchallenged. The past decade has been great for downtown infill and yet many of these articles make it sound like Halifax is a kind of mini Detroit -- I worry that this will actually mislead suburbanites who might go downtown, or people in other parts of Canada that do not know what Halifax is like. Even many people who see the downtown first-hand and probably wander by cranes every day sometimes read comments like that and then unthinkingly build a very negative conception of the downtown.

Sadly I think a big part of Halifax's "can't do" attitude comes from negativity in the media that generally has little more than a small kernel of truth.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2011, 4:31 AM
BANNED

The other downtown developments you've mentioned are indeed examples of progress which has been lacking until recently; however, the units in the Trillium are considerably more expensive than any downtown condominium Halifax has previously built.

Yes, I agree Halifax is still being projected as a mini-Detroit in a sense. You feel the media is exaggerating the Trillium's novelty, which may be accurate. That narrative won't stand up to Halifax's success in a few years.

In a few years, I suspect, the media will be gushing over Halifax.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2011, 4:33 AM

The Trillium is a bland condo tower in a city filled with development, nothing more. Fares needs too get his head out of his ass.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2011, 1:30 PM
BANNED

You first.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2011, 1:40 PM

Quote:
Tonight there was an article in ANS about the Trillium and how Fred MacGillivray is moving in, etc. etc.

Some of the commentary from Fares in these articles is a little over the top. For example, saying this is the first major residential development downtown in 20 years is an exaggeration. Bishop's Landing has far more units, as does the Paramount. The Paramount and Martello are both highrises of similar height. Actually the Garden Crest development also has more units, although it might not be considered "downtown".

I think it's harmful to leave these misleading comments unchallenged. The past decade has been great for downtown infill and yet many of these articles make it sound like Halifax is a kind of mini Detroit -- I worry that this will actually mislead suburbanites who might go downtown, or people in other parts of Canada that do not know what Halifax is like. Even many people who see the downtown first-hand and probably wander by cranes every day sometimes read comments like that and then unthinkingly build a very negative conception of the downtown.

Sadly I think a big part of Halifax's "can't do" attitude comes from negativity in the media that generally has little more than a small kernel of truth.
I enjoy reading ANS because they usually are the first to break development news and usually go more in-depth into topics the Herald and CBC won't cover, but sometimes their reporting is frustrating. I get the feeling some of their articles are ways to promote and stroke the egos of some of their "big name" Halifax readers. It sometimes reads like a country club newsletter. However, I still rarely go to bed before I give it a quick read through at 11:00 to see if there is any development news.

I find it funny when you read the Moncton Times and Transcript, and then look at the Herald or CBC for Nova Scotia, they are on complete opposite sides of the spectrum. The Times and Transcript is a huge Moncton booster, whenever I've looked at it I've never seen anything negative about the city in it. Sometimes it is an exaggeration, like when I was up there for the U2 concert it was funny to read because of the rumors they were developing. Without fail, within the first couple paragraphs they always managed to take shots at Halifax. As an outsider it is funny to read, but for Moncton it creates a buzz and no doubt contributes to the can-do attitude of the city. Then you read the Herald and CBC for NS (with a few exceptions) all they seem to want to do is crap on anything that might be good and progressive, shining light on the negative aspects looking to uncover a controversy. The news is the way most people create opinions on certain topics, so when the city is portrayed in a negative way in the news, why wouldn't the citizens also have a negative "can't do" attitude.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2011, 2:50 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kph06 View Post
I enjoy reading ANS because they usually are the first to break development news and usually go more in-depth into topics the Herald and CBC won't cover, but sometimes their reporting is frustrating. I get the feeling some of their articles are ways to promote and stroke the egos of some of their "big name" Halifax readers. It sometimes reads like a country club newsletter. However, I still rarely go to bed before I give it a quick read through at 11:00 to see if there is any development news.

I find it funny when you read the Moncton Times and Transcript, and then look at the Herald or CBC for Nova Scotia, they are on complete opposite sides of the spectrum. The Times and Transcript is a huge Moncton booster, whenever I've looked at it I've never seen anything negative about the city in it. Sometimes it is an exaggeration, like when I was up there for the U2 concert it was funny to read because of the rumors they were developing. Without fail, within the first couple paragraphs they always managed to take shots at Halifax. As an outsider it is funny to read, but for Moncton it creates a buzz and no doubt contributes to the can-do attitude of the city. Then you read the Herald and CBC for NS (with a few exceptions) all they seem to want to do is crap on anything that might be good and progressive, shining light on the negative aspects looking to uncover a controversy. The news is the way most people create opinions on certain topics, so when the city is portrayed in a negative way in the news, why wouldn't the citizens also have a negative "can't do" attitude.
Are you claiming the CBC as well, while apparently sceptical of progress in N.S. (or to be more fair, the equity of benefits in municipal business transactions), is unusually supportive in N.B.?

As well, please keep in mind that in New Brunswick all the newspapers are owned by Irving; you're not allowed to say anything negative if they have interest in it. In many regards, I'd say the Times and Transcript is Moncton's country club newsletter.

I've found an unusually prolific attitude in Moncton that is avoidant. When the issue of sprawl is mentioned, I've noticed a tendency amongst Monctonians to avoid thinking about the implications the city is experiencing and instead say something along the lines of: "Ya, I'm glad we aren't too crowded like Toronto or Montreal."

There are people in Moncton that believe a city does not need a downtown....

I've heard people express their pride that Moncton recycles all of its garbage..... LOL

Through conversations I've come across, I believe a large number of people in Moncton are fairly convinced they're getting a CFL team, claiming their central location is the only Atlantic Canadian option.

They know this because the local media told them.

To counter your criticism of Halifax's apparently skeptical views: I find a good number of Monctonians live in la-la-land.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2011, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeJay View Post
Are you claiming the CBC as well, while apparently sceptical of progress in N.S. (or to be more fair, the equity of benefits in municipal business transactions), is unusually supportive in N.B.?

As well, please keep in mind that in New Brunswick all the newspapers are owned by Irving; you're not allowed to say anything negative if they have interest in it. In many regards, I'd say the Times and Transcript is Moncton's country club newsletter.
I don't generally look at CBC in NB, so I can't comment on their view of Moncton, I was just stating them as one of the two mainstream news sources for Halifax. I think at one time the Irving's owned almost every media outlet in NB, newspapers, tv and radio. I don't consider the Times and Transript an unbiased, highly credible news source, I was just using them to contrast our own. If Halifax had a more positive spin in the media rather than the usuall doom and gloom outlook, it might transfer over to the attitude of the residents.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2011, 4:08 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kph06 View Post
I don't generally look at CBC in NB, so I can't comment on their view of Moncton, I was just stating them as one of the two mainstream news sources for Halifax. I think at one time the Irving's owned almost every media outlet in NB, newspapers, tv and radio. I don't consider the Times and Transript an unbiased, highly credible news source, I was just using them to contrast our own. If Halifax had a more positive spin in the media rather than the usuall doom and gloom outlook, it might transfer over to the attitude of the residents.
I don't care about a positive spin. I care about the facts.

The media skepticism may at times be annoying, but please keep in mind that the criticisms are coming from actual voices. In a N.B. context, these voices are more likely to be obscured (along with some facts).

And I've witnessed everyone on this forum, myself included, being negative at some point or other. Bitching is in our nature.

I say let the media bitch. The level of development that shall arise in Halifax will shut them up.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2011, 4:20 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

The Trillium is in Halifax. Anyway, I like the way Trillium turned out. It looks nice from most angles and because of the work done to the Park Vic they look good together.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2011, 5:13 PM

Just walked by, a jewelry store will be in the southern most commercial lot on SP street.

I think all of the other lots are still vacant and looking for tenants.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2011, 5:19 PM
Fizzix geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinMacD View Post
Just walked by, a jewelry store will be in the southern most commercial lot on SP street.

I think all of the other lots are still vacant and looking for tenants.
It's Trinity (which moved their Park Lane location into there). There is also a high end chocolate place going in I believe.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2011, 5:57 PM

Quote:

where is this article at?

Old Posted Dec 5, 2011, 6:03 PM

I drove by one night and all the lobby lights were on, it looks pretty good with at least 2 floors of open atrium space.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth