HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Feb 26, 2021, 7:42 PM

Great image of the block between Armitage, Milwaukee, Western, and the L:

https://images1.loopnet.com/i2/TVhQE.../116/image.jpg

It's fully built-out now with infill. Can also see the new Pennycuff apartments. New seating area atop Margie's is for the new Marz brewery and taproom, I believe.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2021, 7:58 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibba View Post

It's fully built-out now with infill. Can also see the new Pennycuff apartments. New seating area atop Margie's is for the new Marz brewery and taproom, I believe.
Marz moved from Bridgeport? I gave an Astronomy-on-Tap talk there once and it was a pretty cool location.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2021, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
Marz moved from Bridgeport? I gave an Astronomy-on-Tap talk there once and it was a pretty cool location.
No they're just opening up a satellite taproom/brewery:

https://blockclubchicago.org/2019/05...s-are-excited/

Old Posted Feb 26, 2021, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
Dang, I wish I would have attended that! That sounds cool.

And yeah, it's a cool place. I went there for the first time this summer. Finally visited that quarry-turned-park, too (Palmisano?). It's got some good height for a Chicago park; you get a great view of the skyline from there.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2021, 9:13 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Dang, I wish I would have attended that! That sounds cool.
No kidding. I'd be all over that.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2021, 9:22 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Clearly we need to do a better job at marketing, but Astronomy on Tap (under normal circumstances) happens in principle (but not in practice) every month, with alternating Northwestern/UChicago speakers.

http://astronomyontap.org/locations/chicago-il/

Old Posted Feb 27, 2021, 1:50 AM

Old Posted Feb 27, 2021, 2:37 AM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCorsair87 View Post

I really need to swing by Uptown again some day, I bet it’s changing fast.

I’m sooo bummed about the stalling of the Uptown Theatre rehab, though.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2021, 2:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post

I really need to swing by Uptown again some day, I bet it’s changing fast.

I’m sooo bummed about the stalling of the Uptown Theatre rehab, though.
I was just thinking about the theatre today... irritated about the big announcement 2.5 years ago that it was going to be rehabbed!... only for it to be another false start due to the need for more money. And now COVID screwing things up. *sigh*

But I'm glad to see that ugly City Sports building finally being destroyed! Very much an eyesore, especially being so close to rapid transit.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2021, 1:46 PM

Quote:

The vacant lot on the far right hand side of the photo is slated to be a 4-story apartment building. It was previously a drive through MB Bank that was unused for about 4 years before being bulldozed a few months back. Armitage & Western intersection. I pushed the alderman for higher density but the builder is not asking for a zoning change.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2021, 5:25 PM

Seems like a missed opportunity that we're not seeing more 8-12 story proposals near the Division, Damen, and Western blue line stops.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2021, 5:09 PM

So, it looks like Tommy Gun's Garage dinner theater at 2114 S Wabash isn't opening back up due to the pandemic dragging out too long. This is across the street from Aspire, new 24 story residential high rise. Bets on 2114 S Wabash and its parking lot being sold to a developer?

Other notable current land for sale:
* 1 story retail building + surface parking lot at 424-28 S Wabash: $7.2M - Being sold as a redevelopment opportunity. https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8761...7i16384!8i8192

* Vacant lot at 863 N Orleans near NEXT and Niche 905 apartments in Cabrini Green. $4.6M. Apparently this is already approved for a 6 story office/retail building
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8982...7i16384!8i8192

* Surface lot site at 1050 N Kingsbury at the river. Close to Morton Salt, Lincoln Yards, etc. Sold as redevelopment project:
https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/1050...o-IL/17327427/

Last edited by marothisu; Feb 28, 2021 at 5:27 PM.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2021, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasty Joe View Post
Seems like a missed opportunity that we're not seeing more 8-12 story proposals near the Division, Damen, and Western blue line stops.
Yes - though most of the easy lots are already redeveloped plus the new affordable housing requirements stop many from working through an upzoning

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 3:40 PM
TL;DR

Bucktown's proposed Drive Shack at Damen/Elston canceled, no reason was provided.
https://www.chicagogolfreport.com/drive-shack-chicago/

That's a shame, now we're likely to get more suburban style retail there. The Drive Shack wasn't the same as a public park but it was a nice quasi-park-like land use to go along the river and it was a nice complement to Midtown Athletic Club.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 3:53 PM
The City

^ Too bad, but it's not like Driveshack was exactly the pinnacle of urbanism, with about 300 odd parking spots.

That whole area is suburban, little we can do about it at this point.

Best way to go is to concentrate the big box-suburban style stuff into various nodes throughout the city, and push for more walkable urban design everywhere else (IMO). So this 1970s style crap of having little strip malls sprinkled throughout the city needs to go the way of the dinosaur. I think that is far more damaging to the urban fabric of the city and its walkability than to have suburban style retail at Damen and Elston

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ Too bad, but it's not like Driveshack was exactly the pinnacle of urbanism, with about 300 odd parking spots.

That whole area is suburban, little we can do about it at this point.

Best way to go is to concentrate the big box-suburban style stuff into various nodes throughout the city, and push for more walkable urban design everywhere else (IMO). So this 1970s style crap of having little strip malls sprinkled throughout the city needs to go the way of the dinosaur. I think that is far more damaging to the urban fabric of the city and its walkability than to have suburban style retail at Damen and Elston
Yes. And if enough small-format chain stores (e.g. Target) and startups like Foxtrot expand more, it may tip the scales enough that those large strip centers become less appealing. (Combined with direct-delivery retail like Amazon.)

A lot of the retailers there with smaller goods (like Best Buy) should turn those locations into delivery nodes for 2-hour or 1-day delivery. Furniture stores could warehouse goods there and retain a small portion of the building as a showroom.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 9:27 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I did check the PD and learned some cool stuff though (there is one MASSIVE PD that controls the entire IMD as well as the entire Tri-Taylor neighborhood).

-Marquette's redevelopment of the Medical Center Apartments has been going on for some time - they are currently recladding the building. But it looks like they are trying to develop the vacant parts of this parcel so it is less of a "tower in a park". They requested permission to move FAR around in the IMD to build an 11-story building and a 21-story building in the greenspace areas on the block - NE corner of Harrison and Damen. The city approved this administratively, but they denied a request to reduce the parking requirements (Marquette wanted a 100% reduction, but DPD can only grant reductions up to 50% so Marquette would need to go to the alderman for a formal zoning change).
Crain's is reporting this story today. Does that mean I get the scoop?

Marquette never went for the zoning change, so they must have decided to just provide the parking at the required 50% ratio. Looks like the tallest proposed tower lost 8 units but gained 3 stories (now 24 stories), so they're probably planning on 4 parking levels at the base. The smaller proposed building went from 11 down to 9 stories and gained 8 units so the net unit count remains unchanged at 672.

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/comm...dical-district

Marquette has got to be the most active residential developer in the West Loop right now, or maybe the whole city. Two simultaneous projects at Union Park (521 units) with a 3rd on the boards at Ashland/Lake (210 units), and just massive density at this IMD site as well (672 units on one block).

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 9:36 PM
The City

Marquette is obviously bullish on the rebound.

More power to them, hopefully they get lavishly rewarded for their efforts

Old Posted Mar 3, 2021, 10:45 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/heal...-save-hospital

Looks like Mercy Hospital may not close after all.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2021, 12:05 AM
you know where I'll be

^ Beat me to it. That would be such amazing news.
I've been concerned about the mass closing of small-mid size hospitals across neighborhoods for some time - of course hitting South, West and more generally disadvantaged areas hardest (as bad as it is in cities, it's even a more severe problem in small towns and rural areas).
Mercy's closing announcement was disheartening to say the least. Would be nice to pull out this win from behind on the near south side.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development