HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 6:29 AM
Greetings from New Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernDancer View Post
Unfortunately for passengers, once East Side Access opens, there will no longer be any one-seat rides between Atlantic Terminal and suburban Long Island.
Why would they terminate direct service to one of their busiest hubs?

Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 8:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Why would they terminate direct service to one of their busiest hubs?
I don't know why, but that's the plan as I understand it. I'm surprised you weren't aware.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 8:59 AM

Quote:
I don't know why, but that's the plan as I understand it. I'm surprised you weren't aware.
I don't follow the LIRR News much...

Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 11:33 AM
Website Manager

Thread title changed from
Unofficial New Jersey Transit / Metro North Railroad 2050 Proposals and Plans (Map)
to
Long Island Railroad - Metro North - New Jersey Transit | News & Photos

Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 11:37 AM

Thankyou

Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 11:42 AM

Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 1:42 PM

Long Island Railroad M9's Factory Debut

(Source from MTA LIRR facebook , the photo was taken down for some reason...but is still viewable on the sites it was posted on...)

Old Posted Apr 10, 2015, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Some NJ Transit trains smell like a barnyard, and here's why

By Larry Higgs | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com
on April 07, 2015 at 12:55 PM, updated April 07, 2015 at 3:29 PM

What's that smell? In this case, it was an odor better suited to a farm rather than a commuter train.

NJ Transit officials admitted that their trains parked in Morrisville, Pa., are leaving the yard with something extra - the odor from a nearby mulch factory.

The stinky secret was revealed by an NJ Transit customer service representative who replied to commuter Jen Levins official complaint reporting a "horrible smell" on her commuter train on April 2.
http://www.nj.com/traffic/index.ssf/...heres_why.html

Old Posted Apr 10, 2015, 6:51 PM

Queens

Little Neck

Quote:
Opened : July 1870 (F&NS)
Daily Passengers : 2,886
Electrified : 750V DC 3rd Rail
County : Queens

Little Neck Parkway at the west end of the station crosses the line at the only at-grade railroad crossing on the Port Washington Branch, and one of the few remaining in New York City. It is also the only "quiet" grade crossing in the LIRR system. Trains do not need to blow their horns here, because trains are coming to a complete stop here, and Little Neck Parkway is not a high-traffic road. It is regarded as the most dangerous crossing in the city.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_...IRR_station%29

Long Island Railroad's Port Washington Branch at Little Neck Station
by Nexis4Jersey09, on Flickr

Westbound / City Bound Train Arriving

Douglaston

Long Island Railroad's Port Washington Branch at Douglaston Station

Quote:
Opened : October 27, 1866 (F&NS)
Daily Passengers : 2,375
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas...IRR_station%29

10 Car MU

Hunterspoint Avenue

Quote:
Opened : 1860
Daily Passengers : 6,479
Service Type : Peak Hour , Peak Direction
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunters...IRR_station%29

Long Island Railroad at Hunterspoint Avenue in Long Island City - Queens,New York

Long Island Railroad at Hunterspoint Avenue in Long Island City - Queens,New York

Old Posted Apr 10, 2015, 7:12 PM

Quote:
I don't follow the LIRR News much...
It's not true. I have no idea where that poster came up with that idea. East Side access has nothing to do with LIRR service to Brooklyn.

In fact, the opposite is happening. They're dramatically expanding service to Atlantic Terminal in Brooklyn from Long Island.

This is because the Atlantic Yards project will finally give the terminal extra capacity to handle more service (as part of Atlantic Yards, Ratner is building a new underground rail yard adjacent to the terminal). They're also making big improvements to all the LIRR stations between Atlantic Terminal and Jamaica, and adding a new flyover near Jamaica.

They're also planning a nonstop shuttle between Jamaica and Atlantic Terminal once the new rail yard is operational.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2015, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
It's not true. I have no idea where that poster came up with that idea. East Side access has nothing to do with LIRR service to Brooklyn.
I'm right, you're wrong. After East Side Access opens, all passengers travelling between Atlantic Terminal and Nassau/Suffolk Counties will have to transfer at Jamaica Station.

-------------------

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/c...eola-1.5738716

Quote:
Under the LIRR's Cross-Borough Scoot plan, all Brooklyn passengers would have to change at Jamaica using a new, dedicated platform on the station's south side. Direct connections would be gone, and some riders would have to cross over nine tracks to transfer.
As I said, there will be no more one-seat service between suburban Long Island and Atlantic Terminal after ESA opens.

Quote:
Still, a Brooklyn-bound Oyster Bay rider would have transfer twice in each direction -- at Mineola and at Jamaica.
-------------------------

Quote:
In fact, the opposite is happening. They're dramatically expanding service to Atlantic Terminal in Brooklyn from Long Island.
If so, it's temporary. After ESA opens, all passengers between suburban Long Island and Brooklyn will have to transfer at Jamaica.

Last edited by NorthernDancer; Apr 10, 2015 at 8:12 PM.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2015, 8:27 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Long Island Railroad M9's Factory Debut

(Source from MTA LIRR facebook , the photo was taken down for some reason...but is still viewable on the sites it was posted on...)
Not as bad as what the rendering suggested, but I still don't understand why they needed to deviate from the front of the M7. What was the point of reversing the headlight, taillight positioning? To me the wide offset headlights look clunky and weird, and kills any style it had the potential of having like what happened with the M8. I resist the temptation of posting a "meanwhile in Europe" train photo.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Apr 10, 2015, 9:04 PM

Quote:
I'm right, you're wrong. After East Side Access opens, all passengers travelling between Atlantic Terminal and Nassau/Suffolk Counties will have to transfer at Jamaica Station.
No, all wrong, and that's not even what you originally wrote.

You claimed two things. You claimed that 1. LIRR service to Brooklyn from Long Island was planned to terminate and 2. LIRR service to Brooklyn was somehow related to East Side access. Neither claim is remotely true.

In the real world, LIRR service to Brooklyn is being significantly increased, due to the Atlantic Yards project, where a new rail yard is being built. And, in the real world, East Side Access has nothing whatsoever to do with service to Brooklyn. The infrastructure for East Side Access is like 10 miles away from the Atlantic Avenue line in question. There's no overlap in demand or rolling stock or stations.

Quote:
If so, it's temporary. After ESA opens, all passengers between suburban Long Island and Brooklyn will have to transfer at Jamaica.
You made this up too, it has nothing to do with your original claim, and it's a non-point. You're now claiming that Ratner is spending $200 million to build a "temporary" underground rail yard that is somehow related to a new rail line 10 miles away in Manhattan? And you're claiming that the LIRR is building a new flyover, increasing capacity, and adding/renovating stations, for some "temporary" use?

Obviously since Manhattan receives more trains than Brooklyn, most Long Island-originating trains will require a transfer to Brooklyn, because most passengers aren't headed to Brooklyn. This has been true since the LIRR existed, and will be true always. It's true of all rail systems, everywhere.

Are you suggesting that trains shouldn't be scheduled according to demand?

Old Posted Apr 10, 2015, 9:29 PM

Quote:
No, all wrong, and that's not even what you originally wrote.

You claimed two things. You claimed that 1. LIRR service to Brooklyn from Long Island was planned to terminate
Completely untrue. I did not say that LIRR service to Brooklyn from Long Island was planned to terminate. I said that passengers travelling between Brooklyn and suburban Long Island (Nassau/Suffolk Counties) will no longer have a one-seat ride.

This was my exact quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernDancer
Unfortunately for passengers, once East Side Access opens, there will no longer be any one-seat rides between Atlantic Terminal and suburban Long Island.

And I was right. Passengers travelling between Brooklyn's Atlantic Terminal and Nassau/Suffolk Counties will no longer have a one-seat ride in the future. They will be forced to transfer at Jamaica.

Quote:
2. LIRR service to Brooklyn was somehow related to East Side access. Neither claim is remotely true.
Completely untrue again. I said that after ESA opens, there will no longer be a one-seat ride between Atlantic Terminal and Nassau/Suffolk Counties. I did not say that it was BECAUSE of ESA, or that it's related to ESA. It's because of the "Cross-Borough Scoot plan". Nonetheless, after ESA opens, the one seat ride between Brooklyn and Nassau/Suffolk Counties will be gone, as the "Scoot plan" will in all likelihood happen even before ESA opens.

Quote:
In the real world, LIRR service to Brooklyn is being significantly increased, due to the Atlantic Yards project, where a new rail yard is being built.
This is 100% irrelevant to anything I said. I never claimed that service to Brooklyn isn't being increased. And if I did, please show me the quote. I claimed that there will no longer be one-seat rides between Brooklyn and suburban Long Island in the future. You told Nexis4Jersey:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford
It's not true. I have no idea where that poster came up with that idea.
I responded with a link to a Newsday article proving that I am right: One-seat rides between suburban Long Island and Brooklyn are planned to be eliminated in the future. You responded by claiming that I said things that I didn't. I made one claim, and I provided a link to an article proving my claim. I was right, you were wrong.

Quote:
And, in the real world, East Side Access has nothing whatsoever to do with service to Brooklyn. The infrastructure for East Side Access is like 10 miles away from the Atlantic Avenue line in question. There's no overlap in demand or rolling stock or stations.
I said that one-seat rides between Brooklyn and Nassau/Suffolk Counties are being eliminated. You said I was wrong. I provided an article proving I was right. If you're going to claim that I was wrong, you have to provide a link proving that one-seat rides between Brooklyn and suburban LI are not being eliminated.

Quote:
You're now claiming that Ratner is spending $200 million to build a "temporary" underground rail yard that is somehow related to a new rail line 10 miles away in Manhattan? And you're claiming that the LIRR is building a new flyover, increasing capacity, and adding/renovating stations, for some "temporary" use?
Wrong. I never said anything about Ratner or about any new rail yard in Brooklyn. Nor did I say that service to Brooklyn was not being increased, or that it was being decreased. I said that there will no longer be one-seat rides between Brooklyn and suburban LI, and that all passengers will be forced to transfer at Jamaica. You claimed I was wrong. I proved I was right. And now you're trying to change the conversation to something else.

Quote:
Obviously since Manhattan receives more trains than Brooklyn, most Long Island-originating trains will require a transfer to Brooklyn
Nope. ALL (suburban) Long Island-originating trains will require a transfer to Brooklyn, not "most". Read the article that I linked to.

Quote:
Are you suggesting that trains shouldn't be scheduled according to demand?
Once again, a strawman argument. I'm suggesting that in the future, one-seat LIRR rides between Brooklyn and Nassau/Suffolk Counties are planned to be eliminated.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2015, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Not as bad as what the rendering suggested, but I still don't understand why they needed to deviate from the front of the M7. What was the point of reversing the headlight, taillight positioning? To me the wide offset headlights look clunky and weird, and kills any style it had the potential of having like what happened with the M8. I resist the temptation of posting a "meanwhile in Europe" train photo.
I think when the LIRR decides to DMU's for its Eastern Island service they will be Europeanized or at worst SMART rail quality... If the LIRR does it , so will the MNRR for Port Jervis and Waterbury Branches...

Old Posted Apr 10, 2015, 9:59 PM

Quote:
Completely untrue. I did not say that LIRR service to Brooklyn from Long Island was planned to terminate. I said that passengers travelling between Brooklyn and suburban Long Island (Nassau/Suffolk Counties) will no longer have a one-seat ride.
More complete nonsense. At least you're consistent.

Here was the question-
"Why would they terminate direct service to one of their busiest hubs?"

Here is your exact answer-
"I don't know why, but that's the plan as I understand it. I'm surprised you weren't aware."

Not only did you claim that service was ending, you claimed it was common knowledge.
Quote:
And I was right. Passengers travelling between Brooklyn's Atlantic Terminal and Nassau/Suffolk Counties will no longer have a one-seat ride in the future. They will be forced to transfer at Jamaica.
No, you were wrong. Service from Long Island to Brooklyn is massively increasing, not ending. One-seat ride has nothing to do with the level of service, that was not your original claim, and there has never been a one-seat ride for most passengers from Long Island.

Ever since the LIRR existed, service has been primarily oriented towards Manhattan, not Brooklyn. This obviously means that you need to transfer if you're not headed to the primary destination (which is true of every single transit system on earth).
Quote:
Completely untrue again. I said that after ESA opens, there will no longer be a one-seat ride between Atlantic Terminal and Nassau/Suffolk Counties.
There currently isn't a one-seat ride. There never was a one-seat ride. It has nothing to do with ESA, and was, is, and will always be the case, always, unless Manhattan ceases to exist.

The few trains that do go direct to Brooklyn are mostly for special circumstances of demand, and those special circumstances will continue in the future. ESA has nothing to do with summer weekends in the Hamptons, events at Barclays Center, the West Indian Day Parade and the like (the types of specific demand that forces LIRR to run direct trains from LI to non-traditional hubs.). ESA creates capacity constraints on LI that will require a third track in some locations, but it has absolutely nothing to do with service between Jamaica and Brooklyn.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2015, 10:58 PM

Quote:
More complete nonsense. At least you're consistent.

Here was the question-
"Why would they terminate direct service to one of their busiest hubs?"

Here is your exact answer-
"I don't know why, but that's the plan as I understand it. I'm surprised you weren't aware."

Not only did you claim that service was ending, you claimed it was common knowledge.
One-seat service (if that's what you mean by "direct service") between Brooklyn and Nassau/Suffolk Counties IS ending. And I linked to an article that proves it. And don't know what else you could mean when you say "direct service". If you have to transfer, you no longer have direct service. But I wasn't even the one who said "direct service". It was Nexis4Jersey that said that.

This is what I initially said:

Quote:
You responded by saying that I was wrong. I responded by linking to an article proving I am right. You continued to insist that I am wrong, yet you haven't given a single link to prove that there is no plan to eliminate one-seat service between Atlantic Terminal and Nassau/Suffolk Counties, which is the only think I claimed.

You are unreal. Even when presented with proof that you are wrong, you insist that you are right.

Quote:
No, you were wrong. Service from Long Island to Brooklyn is massively increasing, not ending.
Wrong. The claim I made is that one-seat rides between Brooklyn and suburban LI are planned to end. I never once said that service to Brooklyn is ending. Again, this is what I said:

Quote:
And I was right. The plan is to eliminate all one-seat service between Brooklyn and suburban LI. Nexis4Jersey asked why they would eliminate one-seat service between suburban LI and Brooklyn. I responded that I don't know why, but that that is the plan.

Quote:
One-seat ride has nothing to do with the level of service
I never said it did. I said that the plan is to eliminate one-seat rides between Brooklyn and suburban LI completely.

Quote:
that was not your original claim
My original claim was that the plan is to eliminate one-seat service between Atlantic Terminal and suburban LI. Nothing more, nothing less. That was the entirety of my claim. I didn't say anything about overall levels of service to Brooklyn, or about what the ideal service plans are.

Quote:
and there has never been a one-seat ride for most passengers from Long Island.
And in the future there won't be a one-seat ride for ANY passengers from suburban LI. Which is what I said initially:

Quote:
That was my initial post. The entirety of it. I can't believe you are arguing over what I initially said.

Quote:
Ever since the LIRR existed, service has been primarily oriented towards Manhattan, not Brooklyn. This obviously means that you need to transfer if you're not headed to the primary destination (which is true of every single transit system on earth).
I don't care. That has nothing to do with whether my initial quote was wrong.

Quote:
That was my initial quote, and it is right.

Quote:
The few trains that do go direct to Brooklyn are mostly for special circumstances of demand, and those special circumstances will continue in the future.
There are regularly-scheduled one-seat rides between Brooklyn and suburban LI right now. They will be done away with entirely in the future. If you have proof to the contrary, as you claim "direct service" between Brooklyn and suburban LI is not being eliminated, than post a link. I already posted a link showing that such service is being eliminated. The onus is on you to post a link that it's not being eliminated.

Quote:
ESA has nothing to do with summer weekends in the Hamptons, events at Barclays Center, the West Indian Day Parade and the like (the types of specific demand that forces LIRR to run direct trains from LI to non-traditional hubs.). ESA creates capacity constraints on LI that will require a third track in some locations, but it has absolutely nothing to do with service between Jamaica and Brooklyn.
Nope. I never said ESA had anything to do with one-seat rides between Brooklyn and LI being eliminated. I said that there will no longer be such rides after ESA opens. That is not the same as saying the two are related.

Quote:
More bullshit. I didn't say it was "common knowledge". You just made that up. I said I was surprised that Nexis4Jersey didn't know about it, as he's a rail buff, lives in New Jersey, and follows rail, especially in the Tri-State area. Not only has he started threads about rail transit in the Tri-State area on this and other forums, he even has a Youtube channel devoted to rail:

https://www.youtube.com/user/Nexis4Jersey

Now go ahead, and show me the exact quote where I said it was "common knowledge" that direct service is ending.

This was my initial post:

Quote:
If you have proof that that claim is wrong, than go ahead and post it. Don't make bullshit claims that I never said.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2015, 11:15 PM

Quote:
There currently isn't a one-seat ride. There never was a one-seat ride.
Wrong. There currently are one-seat rides between Brooklyn and suburban Long Island. For example, today there are one-seat rides departing Atlantic Terminal to Hempstead (which is in Nassau County) at:

6:14pm
7:35pm
8:30pm

You can see the schedule here:

http://lirr42.mta.info/schedules.php

Once again, you are wrong.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2015, 11:27 PM

Quote:
N.J. Democrats 'agitate' for light rail funding

By Matt Friedman | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com
Email the author | Follow on Twitter
on March 13, 2015 at 4:30 PM, updated March 13, 2015 at 5:21 PM

ENGLEWOOD — About a dozen north Jersey Democratic elected officials today got together to say they're determined to make the "Bergen" in Hudson-Bergen Light Rail mean something.

"Let's get real. The name says 'Hudson-Bergen.' It's not the Hudson Bergen light rail," said Bergen County Executive Jim Tedesco, standing next to part of the proposed route in downtown Englewood. "It's the Hudson light rail. It was made to come to Bergen County, and with the support and the help of the people behind me, it will become a reality."
http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf...ncart_river%3E

Old Posted Apr 10, 2015, 11:28 PM

Newark Light Rail at Newark Penn Station

Newark Light Rail Concourse at Newark Penn Station

Newark Broad Street departures board for connector service

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation