HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 5:28 PM

The Assiniboine River bridge is another story. It was rehabbed recently, with the east side closed for multiple years due to issues. It'll need to be widen including pier work in the river. Or do you build a new bridge to once side and reconfigure the old one.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 8:42 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Also, for 101/6, should 6 also be twinned for the first 1~2 km as the ministry of transportation converts that intersection into an interchange? Because of how it still extends past 101 for a bit, perhaps we can build the interchange according to the design for 1/16?

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 9:21 PM

I could see the one going in two phases. Single lanes on one bridge. With a future second bridge for twinning when CentrePort grows into that area.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I could see the one going in two phases. Single lanes on one bridge. With a future second bridge for twinning when CentrePort grows into that area.
Let's be realistic, the interchange won't be built until centreport is grown into the area and the intersection is beyond safe with semi traffic

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjose32 View Post
Seems really unnecessary to do anything with Wilkes, the amount of traffic on there is quite minimal.
The issue with the Wilkes and Perimeter interchange is the geometry and location of the merge lanes for Wilkes and has nothing to do with traffic volumes. For traffic exiting the SB flow they need to decelerated in a through lane and take an exit ramp in the blind spot of the bridge. If there is an issue preventing that from happening through traffic in the lane behind them doing 100 km/h (or more) does not have reasonable time to react safely. Similar traffic entering the NB flow comes out of a sharp turn limiting their speed and is almost immediately dumped into a 100 km/h through lane at the top of the bridge with a guard rail to the right and a hard median to the left. Before are among the most dangerous locations, by design, on the entire Perimeter. As previously mentioned, with mostly undeveloped agricultural land currently near the interchange the cost of lengthening those two problem areas to better address the legitimately safety concerns in keeping with modern standards would be fairly low in the grand scheme of changes being considering for the Perimeter.

Quote:
Didn't they rebuild the piers there too with new girders. Basically new bridges.
At Roblin and the Perimeter the previous interchange had two bridges EB and WB. Under the old configuration there was a centre pier. The rehab fully removed one of the bridges including the centre pier and replaced it with a band new structure then did the same with the other side. The Perimeter flow area was also significantly expanded and could easily accommodate six through lanes of traffic now although the WB to NB flow is currently in a semi-obstructed location and adding an additional lane would make that situation worse without an extended acceleration lane and later merge spot.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I find in the US it's pretty lax on urban interstates that are similar to the 401 in terms of size and volume. The only place I've driven over 200 kph is on interstates around Los Angeles (wide open 10 lane roads with no traffic, so very low risk) ... I'd probably be in jail if I attempted that on the Perimeter.
Your car would be impounded for sure. License suspended and a date with a judge.

I rarely drive over the speed limit, and seldom more than 10kph over. Except on the 401. On the 401 I go with the second lane flow.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 2:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCake View Post
Let's be realistic, the interchange won't be built until centreport is grown into the area and the intersection is beyond safe with semi traffic
Since the focus is on the South Perimeter and it will probably takes decades. It's a safe bet there won't be anything done there for some time.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 4:30 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Sometime in the last couple years a group of people did the speed limit on the 401 across all lanes. It backed up traffic forever and caused big delays. It was to prove a point that going 100 is not adequate to maintain good traffic flow, due to vehicle volume.
Don't get the artificially low traffic speed limits in Canada considering the geography, vehicles, quality of roads etc. anywhere in EU it's 120, 130 and unlimited with no more accidents than here where our speed limits seem to be curbed at 100 mostly!

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 5:40 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

I have driven on the Autobahns many times and they are far less nerve wracking than the 401. On my honeymoon we drove a Merc 190 from Innsbruck to Salzberg and back, flat out the whole way. That was fun.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Don't get the artificially low traffic speed limits in Canada considering the geography, vehicles, quality of roads etc. anywhere in EU it's 120, 130 and unlimited with no more accidents than here where our speed limits seem to be curbed at 100 mostly!
The lack of grade separations and proper infrastructure make anything over 100 a dicey proposition, in Manitoba at least.

In Europe, you drive a tractor on an A series highway, you get a ticket. Here, you can take your combine and putt along the Trans Canada and it's no problem at all.

Or, for example, last night I drove down the EB Perimeter. At St. Mary's Road, there were so many cars lined up to turn left that they were clogging the passing lane... that kind of thing is incompatible with a 120 limit.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 6:15 PM
Formerly rypinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
https://theprovince.com/opinion/op-e...highway-safety

Quote:
In 2014, after a strange consultation process, former transportation and infrastructure minister Todd Stone approved increased speed limits on many rural highways in B.C. Recently, the third independent study to document significant increases in deaths and serious injuries on these routes was published. Ironically, the reason originally given for increased speed limits was increased safety. How did this come to pass and what should we do about this unfortunate outcome?

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 6:41 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Perhaps it takes a premier (if transportation minister isn’t enough) that had lived in southern Ontario for quite some time to modernize TCH, Perimeter and 75.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
Perhaps it takes a premier (if transportation minister isn’t enough) that had lived in southern Ontario for quite some time to modernize TCH, Perimeter and 75.
It's not that cabinet ministers don't know that better highway standards exist, it's a question of dollars and cents.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 7:13 PM

Quote:
The lack of grade separations and proper infrastructure make anything over 100 a dicey proposition, in Manitoba at least.

In Europe, you drive a tractor on an A series highway, you get a ticket. Here, you can take your combine and putt along the Trans Canada and it's no problem at all.

Or, for example, last night I drove down the EB Perimeter. At St. Mary's Road, there were so many cars lined up to turn left that they were clogging the passing lane... that kind of thing is incompatible with a 120 limit.
That's how people get killed. Ridiculous and super dangerous. Like you're sitting there in a travel lane as cars are approaching at 100kmh..

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 7:14 PM

We know how to build highways properly. Just need the political will to get it done. Money can be found.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 7:22 PM

Quote:
That's how people get killed. Ridiculous and super dangerous. Like you're sitting there in a travel lane as cars are approaching at 100kmh..
That's literally what was happening. Fair enough if there's no money for an interchange but for heaven's sake at least make the turn lane big enough so you don't have left-turning cars at a dead stop in the passing lane of the Trans Canada Highway. It's absurd.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 7:23 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

I think I know the solution: federal money.
Have the liberals ever funded any of MB’s highway projects?

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 7:33 PM

Quote:
We know how to build highways properly. Just need the political will to get it done. Money can be found.
Of course it can. The completion of the Perimeter to a fully limited-access highway needs to be treated as the number 1 priority for Manitoba highways, followed by necessary improvements to 75, 1 and 59.

Can you imagine if Winnipeg a century ago had the "can't do" politicians we have today? We'd still be drinking smelly and potentially harmful well water (not that there isn't increasing frequency of brown water in recent years, but that is due to the distribution system, not the source).

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 8:22 PM

^ Ya. We'd be even worse off.

The huge brown water issue from a few years ago was due to issues at the water treatment plant. Most brown water now if from construction or pipe breaks.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 9:37 PM
BANNED

Quote:

Believe me I’ve driven in the EU, UK and ROI and some of the roadways with 100K speed limits would be 60, 70, 80 here. Obviously you couldn’t have the speed limit any higher than 100 on the perimeter here because of the piss poor design and the high number of stupid drivers but no way the major Manitoba roads can’t be 110 and 120 on the divided roadways.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan