HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Jun 9, 2018, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post

[snip]

I hated the Mildred Pierce mini-series, especially because it was filmed on the east coast. I don't know why, but I've always been able to tell if something is filmed on the shores of the Atlantic Ocean or Pacific Ocean, whether in b&w or color.

[snip]
Occasionally you'll encounter an episode of "Murder She Wrote" that shows the sun setting behind the ocean. My New England-born wife always gets a kick out of that.

Cheers,

Earl

Old Posted Jun 9, 2018, 10:27 PM

Fast sleuthing GW and Hoss. Good job!!

I see 3314 Barbee Street is fairly close to the selig zoo location. Does that mean it's ok to talk about the reservoir flood again?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire

Amelia Aisenpries was listed at 1512 Barbee St in the 1893-1901 CDs.
She was a divorcée, but in the style of the times, to save face or to wish the ex dead, she listed herself as a widow.
It's news to me that divorcees used to list themselves as widow. (interesting tidbit to know)

I found several mentions of the Aisenpries' divorce in court reports.

Why is Beaudry thrown in the mix? Was it a long triangle? Was Amelia and Prudent

and then four years later she gets the house and furniture. (and the kids)

__

But it appears Amelia wasn't ostracized from the community

Now I have a question for odinthor.

Can you identify the two rather dismal trees in front of the Aisenpries' home?

LARGER THIS TIME TO SEE THE DETAILS

At first I thought the tree on the left was a palm...but now I'm not so sure. The one on the right looks like someone stuck a broom-corn [broom] in the ground.
And is that a rose plant climbing the trellis on the porch? If it is; where are the roots, under the porch?

CORRECTION: That isn't a plant on a trellis. It's a tree too. (so three misfit trees)
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

One last question for everyone.( I promise) Why do you think there are barrels in the front yard?

Clippings from California Newspaper Archive

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jun 9, 2018 at 11:46 PM.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2018, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
[...] ____________________________________________

Now I have a question for odinthor.

What's up with the two rather dismal trees in front of the Aisenpries' home :shurg: ha.ha. I meant this guy >

LARGER THIS TIME TO SEE THE DETAILS

At first I thought the tree on the left was a palm...but now I'm not so sure. The one on the right looks like someone stuck a broom-corn in the ground.
And is that a rose plant climbing the trellis on the porch? If it is....where are the roots..under the porch?

...and what about those barrels in the front yard. Did Mr. Aisenpries work for a vinyard? (or a heavy drink ) I'd drink too if my wife was messing around with Prudent Beaudry.

CORRECTION: That isn't a plant on a trellis. It's a tree too. I didn't see the bottom half. (so three misfit trees)

Clippings from California Newspaper Archive
Yes, thanks for the query e_r. My hair stood on end when I saw those poor trees. I think they did one of my least favorite things to do to trees: I think they pollarded them--which means that they lopped off the largest limbs at the base of the limbs in the hopes that there would be lush growth in due course around the cut. It's a disgusting, short-sighted thing to do, because even if the tree produces the desired effect at first, it looks very strange as time goes on . . . and to get the same effect, they have to pollard it back yet further in a few years; and it basically just wastes the tree. It can perhaps be justified in orchards or in general for fruit trees, because you want to keep the tree to manageable size, and you want to restrict the amount of fruit produced because you want fewer but bigger apples, not more but smaller apples. But otherwise pollarding is a nasty thing to do to a tree.

Video Link

Old Posted Jun 9, 2018, 11:52 PM

Gotcha. Pollarding BAD.

About my broom corn comment. I was trying to convey that it looked like an 'old timey' broom that had been stuck in the ground handle first.

I couldn't decide what to call it. Broom corn broom sounded awkward.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jun 10, 2018 at 1:17 AM.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2018, 12:42 AM

riichkay, thanks for sharing those gorgeous 1940s slides. They're a great example of the long-term stability of Kodachrome vs. Ektachrome.

The ghost sign in Studio City you mentioned was worth investigating so I invited myself over for a look-see. I don't think it's supposed to be a stylized motion picture camera; it's just an art deco-ish design.

I wonder if Terman Realty was the original tenant of the building, or whether they came later and revised the sign for their purpose?

Martin Pal, I enjoyed your comments on film noir!

Old Posted Jun 10, 2018, 3:17 AM

Quote:
Adding to the comments about Film Noir...

It's a great topic for discussion.
What about 1948's "He Walked by Night"? Doesn't get much more noir than that...

Old Posted Jun 10, 2018, 4:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Matin Pal'
I believe someone on NLA once also dismissed out of hand any movies as film noir that were in color.
Though rare, I feel there are fine examples. My favorite is Desert Fury.
My favorite color noir is Niagara. [1953]

Here's a memorable scene.

She sure does! What I remember the most is Marilyn gently singing along with the song.

(I thought I knew the name of the song...but I don't)

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jun 10, 2018 at 9:01 AM.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2018, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riichkay View Post

The 40's photo shows the roof of the white commercial building on Ventura Blvd., with signage...that building survives, as does the (now) ghost sign...I tried to figure out the 40's usage from the shape of the sign...could it be a stylized motion picture camera?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handsome Stranger View Post

riichkay, thanks for sharing those gorgeous 1940s slides. They're a great example of the long-term stability of Kodachrome vs. Ektachrome.

The ghost sign in Studio City you mentioned was worth investigating so I invited myself over for a look-see. I don't think it's supposed to be a stylized motion picture camera; it's just an art deco-ish design.

I wonder if Terman Realty was the original tenant of the building, or whether they came later and revised the sign for their purpose?
It looks like the new construction permit for 11948-11950 Ventura Boulevard was issued in 1937, although it's just given as a 2-story stores and office building owned by Ben Jacksen, so no clues to the stores inside. There's a BP for a roof sign in 1939, commissioned by Brooks Oxford Baths, but sadly there's no illustration accompanying it.

The 1939/40 San Fernando Valley CD has a masseur named Harold White at 11948 Ventura and a tailor named Herman Heinrich at 11950.

The buildings looked quite different in July 2007 (below), and Ventura didn't even have a planted center divider. For several years after this, Pepe's NY Pizza (11946 Ventura) covered the roof sign with a rectangular advert, but the original sign is now visible again.

GSV

We originally saw some of Ed Alinder's Kodachrome images back in 2014. Here are the posts that my quick search found:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=23131
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=23135
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=23140
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=23144
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=23149
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=23151

Old Posted Jun 10, 2018, 10:21 AM

[QUOTE=ethereal_reality;8216119]My favorite color noir is Niagara. [1953]

MM had a smaller role in another noir classic, "The Asphalt Jungle". When MM kept her weight under control she was stunning.

Last edited by CaliNative; Jun 10, 2018 at 10:38 AM.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2018, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Adding to the comments about Film Noir...

As with ANY movie list, I like several of these, but do not like others. One of my particular film noir favorites is on this list, but I don't think I've ever seen it on a top ten list before...and that's Dark Passage. Recently I've been thinking I should find and read the novel it was based on.

I've read a few books about Film Noir and what makes this film genre subject to great conversations is that no one agrees on an exact definition of this genre, so some of it is in the eye of the beholder.

One of the aspects of film noir that I read about once and notice in the best of them is that the protagonists in the film are usually involved in circumstances they were thrust into or had thrust upon them and they have to deal with it. Circumstances beyond their control. That's why detectives are often in film noir stories.

In Dark Passage, of course, the protagonist is in jail for a crime he didn't commit. So he breaks out.

In Laura, well I might give too much away for those who haven't seen it if I discuss that one.

In film noir, "dames" often cause trouble getting men to lose control and do their bidding. Like in Double Indemnity.

I'd agree with you about those titles, except for Sunset Blvd. I think it's classic film noir. A man stumbles into an unforeseen situation out of the blue, a manipulative dame gets him in further over his head, with dire consequences. Depending on who you think is the protagonist, though, because I've read opposite opinions, Norma could also be the one who has the unforeseen situation thrust upon her.

SIDEBAR: I once had a class in college where we were to dissect a play, tell who the protagonist and antagonists were and discuss our opinions. I happened to find a book in the college library where someone wrote extensively about this very play, so I basically used his opinions about this and didn't think about it on my own. When my paper was graded I got a really bad grade (a "D") with this note scribbled across the top: Absolutely NO ONE thinks that "so & so" is the protagonist in this play -- "D". At the risk of the professor knowing how much that book had influenced my paper, I wrote a note and slipped it into his mailbox asking for him to reconsider my grade. I said, "Well SOMEONE else does think he was the protagonist, might you reconsider my grade? And I gave the book title, author and where it could be found in the library. He did NOT reconsider.

Another fim noir with a strong female lead, has Mildred Pierce dealing with an unforeseen situation thrust upon her. And, though the audience doesn't know the reasons for it for quite awhile, that is the case.

And speaking of Mildred Pierce and Double Indemnity, and let's throw in The Postman Always Rings Twice... I read those three James M. Cain novels and I have to say I think the movies that came from them are infinitely superior to those pulp novels he wrote. I hated the Mildred Pierce mini-series, especially because it was filmed on the east coast. I don't know why, but I've always been able to tell if something is filmed on the shores of the Atlantic Ocean or Pacific Ocean, whether in b&w or color.

I've never seen the original version of this, but in my circle of friends, I have never known anyone who liked The Maltese Falcon with Bogart. You're the first! I do know it's always seen as one of the first of the genre and is highly regarded by many, like yourself, but I just find it terribly boring. I've seen it three times, I'd guess, once when shown on TV, another time on a video cassette and lastly in a film noir series at AMPAS. I gave it three chances, heh!

I believe someone on NLA once also dismissed out of hand any movies as film noir that were in color. Though rare, I feel there are fine examples. My favorite is Desert Fury.

It's a great topic for discussion.
Agree about the Maltese Falcon. Not my fave noir by a longshot. Agree that noir definition does not require black & white. Lots of good neo-noirs and a few classic noirs are color. Agree that "Sunset Blvd" is also one of the great noirs, right up there with Double Indemnity. I would place "The Third Man" up there as well. Also "The Asphalt Jungle". Not sure if "Fargo" is a true neo-noir (maybe more a dark comedy like many Coen films), but it is enjoyable. "Blue Velvet" & "L.A. Confidential"--good neo-noir or dreck? I haven't decided yet. But they have many moments, & L>A>C> got the big oscar. What a rotten professor not to reconsider your grade. Speaking of professors, the "Blue Angel" was a good early noir with Dietrich as a classic "femme fatale" who brought down a professor.

Last edited by CaliNative; Jun 10, 2018 at 10:44 AM.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2018, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Boebert View Post
Occasionally you'll encounter an episode of "Murder She Wrote" that shows the sun setting behind the ocean. My New England-born wife always gets a kick out of that.

Cheers,

Earl
On a related note, I have a good friend who has lived in Kansas for some years. He has commented to me regarding how ludicrous the geography depicted in the TV show Gunsmoke is. He says (paraphrased), "They always show Marshal Dillon meandering through forested, rolling hills. . . Kansas is in the prairie! There are no hills! It's as flat as a billiard table out to the horizon!"

I have to admit, living here in a place where mountains are always on the horizon, that salient point never occurred to me.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2018, 1:23 PM

I love The Maltese Falcon. It's got everything you need: a cool, only-in-it-for-himself, star-making Bogart role that will essentially define his on-screen persona up until Casablanca (where his on-screen character is first redeemed as a good guy at heart); it's got Mary Astor in a role that defined the noir, femme fatale character.

It features the great Sydney Greenstreet and Peter Lorre, two great actors who would be forever linked after this movie; it is the directorial debut of the great John Huston; it is a faithful representation of the novel, unlike so many movies - the only things that got cut from the novel are a subplot about Greenstreet's daughter and the homosexual overtones of Greenstreet's relationship with Wilmer, though Huston was able to sneak in the term gunsel (the studios thought it meant “gunman”, while in actuality the term means “a young male kept as a sexual companion, especially by an older man”); the cinematography is great and groundbreaking (those upward-angled shots of Greenstreet, highlighting his enormous girth, are spectacular - no-one had ever really shot a film like that before.

Perhaps as pure noir, The Big Sleep surpasses Falcon, but taken purely as a film, I think that Falcon is superior - there are too many plot holes in The Big Sleep - even Raymond Chandler himself said that he couldn't fully explain the story's plot .

As to Double Indemnity, it is a great film. Edward G. Robinson and Barbara Stanwyck are superb, but Fred MacMurray? I think he's really miscast in this role - he's too stiff, too square, too, well... Fred MacMurray.

Compare any MacMurray/Stanwyck scene with any Bogart/Bacall scene - Bogie and Bacall had amazing chemistry, their scenes virtually ooze with sex (or as close as you could get to it under the Hays Code).

On the other hand, MacMurray is downright corny playing a Lothario, and his “sexy” dialogue falls completely flat (“baby this” and “baby that”). It takes me out of the film completely, and reminds me of when my dad would embarrass my brother and I by trying to sound “cool” and “hip” in the 1970s, calling black people things like “brother” -- it was SO square sounding, my brother and I would just roll our eyes, saying “... oh, dad..!”

For my money, Fred MacMurray playing a “sexy” role is like having Stephen Hawking play a tough guy role - it just doesn't work. For my money, even the Bogart/Martha Vickers, Bogart/Dorothy Malone scenes in The Big Sleep absolutely demolish any “sexy” scene in Double Indemnity in terms of believable sexuality, and if you don't believe in the relationship in a man/woman noir, the film doesn't really have any legs to stand on.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2018, 2:16 PM

MacMurray's later humorless boring man-in-a-grey-flannel-suit dad in My Three Sons does make his one-time sexbomb image seem hard to believe, I'll admit, but imo Fred was undeniably sexy in Double Indemnity and during the '30s.... Some of the movies he did with Claudette Colbert--despite her preference for the beav--are much sexier than the Bogart-Bacall thing. (Again, imo.) Bogart is about as sexy as, well...Stephen Hawking.

Last edited by GaylordWilshire; Jun 10, 2018 at 2:57 PM.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2018, 2:55 PM

Quote:

Martin Pal, I enjoyed your comments on film noir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
It looks like the new construction permit for 11948-11950 Ventura Boulevard was issued in 1937, although it's just given as a 2-story stores and office building owned by Ben Jacksen, so no clues to the stores inside. There's a BP for a roof sign in 1939, commissioned by Brooks Oxford Baths, but sadly there's no illustration accompanying it.

The 1939/40 San Fernando Valley CD has a masseur named Harold White at 11948 Ventura and a tailor named Herman Heinrich at 11950.

A rough timeline and a few other items to add to the massage angle of 11948 Ventura Blvd:

Anna Skold, listed as a "beauty operator" a purveyor of massage at several addresses 1928-31, appears to have acquired a house a 1920 house at 303 S. Oxford ca 1932, which she then converted to a massage parlor, adding shower rooms and a steam room.

Looks like H D Brooks took over the business within a few years. By 1938, the Oxford Street property was being redeveloped...that same year Brooks opened a parlor at 220 S La Cienega...which he was apparently still operating in 1943, per the classified seen below, possibly along with the Ventura Blvd venue where Harold White was providing the muscle if not the happy endings.

Terman Realty was offering SFV property in classifieds from 1963, though the ads don't give an address...below is an item about another of its "adult" deals in a building it owned up the street....

LAT Jan 9, 1943

LAT Jan 22, 1971

Old Posted Jun 10, 2018, 5:35 PM

HossC and GaylordWilshire, thanks for the follow-ups. The name Hyman Terman almost sounds like something out of a Terry Southern script.

Apparently real estate was his fallback; Hy Terman was also a would-be actor with less than a half dozen screen credits to his name. Here he is in a 1961 episode of Bonanza.

I wonder if Brooks Baths on La Cienega moved to Beverly Blvd at some point. There used to be a business called Brooks Massage at 7619 Beverly that I drove by almost daily. (According to Yelp, they're no longer in business.)

Old Posted Jun 10, 2018, 6:09 PM

Quote:
...speaking of Pierce Arrows.

Fatty Arbuckle and his 1919 Pierce Arrow

mybirdie

I wonder if this is the car he drove up to San Francisco on that fateful weekend in 1921.

__

A color follow-up....

Noticed this today at Vintage Automobile Dealerships and Automobilia

(Not sure about that amber lamp....)

Old Posted Jun 10, 2018, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post

MacMurray's later humorless boring dad in My Three Sons does make his one-time sexbomb image seem hard to believe, I'll admit, but imo Fred was undeniably sexy in Double Indemnity and during the '30s.... Some of the movies he did with Claudette Colbert--despite her preference for the beav--are much sexier than the Bogart-Bacall thing. (Again, imo.) Bogart is about as sexy as, well...Stephen Hawking.

I have a friend who thinks Fred is quite sexy. I, myself, have no problem with him in Double Indemnity. Since Bacall really married Bogart, I always accepted them in movies together.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2018, 6:58 PM

Quote:
I wonder if Brooks Baths on La Cienega moved to Beverly Blvd at some point. There used to be a business called Brooks Massage at 7619 Beverly that I drove by almost daily. (According to Yelp, they're no longer in business.)

Well, HS, it looks like you're right. According to building permits, Harold Brooks had bought 7619 Beverly by late 1953 and made repairs and additions, including signs, over the next decade or so...

Old Posted Jun 10, 2018, 10:37 PM

The definitive work on the film noir genre is (unsurprisingly) "Film Noir" edited by Alain Silver and Elizabeth Ward (1979) revised and updated in a 3rd Edition in 1992. Available all over the place for not much money. A short paragraph per film for all the ones they think make the cut, plus many valuable appendices.

Cheers,

Earl

Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 4:36 AM

That's the unfortunate Adelaide M. Tichenor House (Greene and Greene, 1904). Much altered, it was recently badly damaged in a fire that destroyed the owner's priceless collection of astronaut memorabilia. But it does still stand, behind a new clinker brick wall, at 852 E Ocean Bouevard.

Quote:
mystery house in Long Beach.

I don't believe we have seen this place on nla.

"House built without nails. Sacred bridge of Nikko." Long Beach Cal. (little heart)

I find it odd that they named the bridge but not the house. I wonder if it's still standing?
• Esotouric Ink presents The Kept Girl, a mystery of 1929 Los Angeles.
• Our time travel blogs: 1947project, On Bunker Hill, InSROLand.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos