HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Nov 10, 2021, 7:09 PM
The City

^ I felt that Pritzker went too far to appease the unions and the so-called "woke" crowd, but then he finally ended the goddamn illegal eviction moratorium (whew!) plus he has indicated some hesitation to support the bill giving teachers paid COVID leave. So there is the slightest (ever so) bit of hope.

The problem is, he's handed over the farm to all of the far Left's priorities without even a second thought about the financial hole we are in or the taxpayer. Even Rauner didn't cave entirely to the right wing.

Ultimately, I think he sucks just as bad if not worse than Rauner. Somebody needs to have some balls in this State, and it's not this guy.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Nov 10, 2021, 7:27 PM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ I felt that Pritzker went too far to appease the unions and the so-called "woke" crowd, but then he finally ended the goddamn illegal eviction moratorium (whew!) plus he has indicated some hesitation to support the bill giving teachers paid COVID leave. So there is the slightest (ever so) bit of hope.

The problem is, he's handed over the farm to all of the far Left's priorities without even a second thought about the financial hole we are in or the taxpayer. Even Rauner didn't cave entirely to the right wing.

Ultimately, I think he sucks just as bad if not worse than Rauner. Somebody needs to have some balls in this State, and it's not this guy.
I agree that IL's finances are a total disaster, but that's a problem he has inherited and really has no unilateral power to do anything about. There are too many vested parties; the numerous labor unions and all the politicians who fear upsetting said unions. If he came out publicly saying that the state needs to give pensioners a haircut in order to stabilize the state's finances, it would be political suicide. He would essentially become a lame duck governor who would lose the next election, ala Rauner. Since Pritzker appears to be a rational individual, any effort he is putting forth to find a fix to the pension problem would have to be talked about and negotiated quietly behind the scenes. And in the end any such effort would be unlikely to succeed. Illinois cannot declare bankruptcy in the same way a city can (ala Detroit a few years ago), so its stuck with this problem until the population overwhelmingly turns against the unions and their agenda. That is something that isn't happening anytime soon.

As a whole, Pritzker has the political support to actually get legislative matters done. Getting the state to pay its bills, unlike Rauner who let them pile up and cost the state millions in interest, makes it no contest who is a better governor.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2021, 7:46 PM
The City

^ I couldn't disagree more, that's a total cop out.

To simply throw up your hands and say "This problem is baked into the system and was around before me, and I'm powerless to do anything" all while you are digging the hole even deeper while handing out more goodies to the Unions is NOT an example of a good Governor. It's the most powerful political office in the State, and if he cares about fixing this problem he has to start somewhere.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2021, 9:27 PM
Making Chicago Memorable.

Long time lurker here. Chicago is a violent city in a violent country. I fault Pritzker for not tackling the pension problem. Aside from that he's done a good job and knows how to govern.

It's obvious that Ken Griffin only cares about white people getting shot. I'm just frustrated bc/ I don't think any local official can control gun violence. We need federal gun control legislation now! The sellers of guns that end up in Chicago should be prosecuted or at the very least, regulated so they can't just sell a gun in the black market. I don't know why Griffin thinks that a republican would govern better when it comes to gun violence. What is the solution? More cops? More guns flooding our city and nation? That's not going to work. And it's not like cops prevent gun violence. They show up after violence occurs and don't have trust in the community due to abuses. I understand Griffin's frustration. I'm frustrated, but I don't think he knows how to solve the problem. He just wants to blame local politicians whose hands are tied by our shitty American attitude towards guns and racism (neighborhood disinvestment) and flee to some dream place.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2021, 11:26 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpireGuy View Post
I'm just frustrated bc/ I don't think any local official can control gun violence. We need federal gun control legislation now! The sellers of guns that end up in Chicago should be prosecuted or at the very least, regulated so they can't just sell a gun in the black market. I don't know why Griffin thinks that a republican would govern better when it comes to gun violence. What is the solution? More cops? More guns flooding our city and nation? That's not going to work. And it's not like cops prevent gun violence. They show up after violence occurs and don't have trust in the community due to abuses. I understand Griffin's frustration. I'm frustrated, but I don't think he knows how to solve the problem. He just wants to blame local politicians whose hands are tied by our shitty American attitude towards guns and racism (neighborhood disinvestment) and flee to some dream place.
I agree with most of this

Quote:
It's obvious that Ken Griffin only cares about white people getting shot.
This is nonsense and there is zero evidence of this

Quote:
Chicago is a violent city in a violent country. I fault Pritzker for not tackling the pension problem.
Agree with this. But I have no idea how you went from the above statement to this:

Quote:
Aside from that he's done a good job and knows how to govern.
He doesn't know how to do anything but pass the pro-Union agenda (sprinkled with some leftist dust) coming out of Springfield these days. I don't see him having done anything to fix anything.

Rauner was a failure because the Springfield legislature is a failure--they don't want reform.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2021, 12:25 AM
Small but Mighty

Unless something crazy changes, Pritzker is getting reelected. That's a political fact at the moment. No challenger is going to be able to overcome him, even with the backing of Griffin. If you think otherwise you're delusional. He already has a majority approval rating (anywhere from 50-60%) and plenty of money behind him. Griffin is wasting his money on a race he can't win. He'd be better spending his money on actual social problems rather than a dick measuring contest. Now Lightfoot, on the other hand, I hope she's in trouble.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2021, 12:30 AM

Seems like Griffin and other "business leaders" could actually have a real impact by investing in the work of Chicago CRED, READI Chicago, and Communities Partnering 4 Peace. Though more on brand to publicly distract by putting the sole blame on the governor:

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/opin...sses-editorial

https://www.wbez.org/stories/chicago...a-71e688301a60

Old Posted Nov 11, 2021, 12:43 AM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:

To simply throw up your hands and say "This problem is baked into the system and was around before me, and I'm powerless to do anything" all while you are digging the hole even deeper while handing out more goodies to the Unions is NOT an example of a good Governor. It's the most powerful political office in the State, and if he cares about fixing this problem he has to start somewhere.
Pritzker DOES need to do a lot of behind-the-scenes negotiating with the various powers who have collectively made Illinois a financial quagmire of damned near biblical proportions. That being said, there is only so much one person can do, even the governor, especially with so many pension rights baked right into the damned state constitution!

I'm not sure what or how anyone CAN really change anything, except for a massive uprising of the electorate against the pension system. Of course, given 20 years, much of the issue will have resolved itself anyhow as the current pensioners die off while the current employee benefits aren't even close to the extremely generous levels of employees prior.

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Nov 11, 2021, 1:02 AM
Plenary pleasures.

Frankly, I'm surprised no one, entity or agency of any kind has tried to sue over the past 10-15 years to get the state constitution amendment repealed/rescinded in some fashion. I remember reading a few years back that the amendment in question possibly infringed on the 14th Amendment of the US Constitution (am I remembering this right? Does anyone else recall something like this?), specifically that the amendment in question as ratified by the State legislature violates due process? Is that a correct interpretation?

Also, why on earth would anyone in this day and age would any agency that provides a pension not want to move to a 401K-style investment system?

This entire debacle hinges on terrible verbiage in an amendment written over 45 years ago, by idiot legislators who didn't have the foresight to see the damage of their actions.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2021, 1:52 AM
1st Ward

Quote:

Because Rauner did a better job? I do not recall the state's obligations shrinking under his 4 years when he feuded with the state assembly. Priztker isn't powerless, but to think that the governor of this state, or any state for that matter, can somehow wave a magic wand and make everything go away is childish at best. Government works in a frustratingly slow way with many people having a hand on the spoon that is stirring the pot, and that's by design in any democracy in order to keep one single person from taking too much power. If Pritzker takes a unilateral approach to try to clean house the state's finances, he will burn his bridges like Rauner and things will only get worse as a result.

I agree with you that the state's finances are in dire need of being addressed in a radical way, Pritzker himself cannot do it alone, nor can he convince all the *THOUSANDS* of local, county and state level politicians to go along with him on that. They all have their own reelections and careers to focus on, and in this state having unions on your side or not means the difference between success and failure at the ballot box. Short of the entire state staging a massive tax revolt, there is simply no political will to do much other than Band-Aid fixes and continuing to kick the can down the road.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2021, 1:56 AM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
Frankly, I'm surprised no one, entity or agency of any kind has tried to sue over the past 10-15 years to get the state constitution amendment repealed/rescinded in some fashion. I remember reading a few years back that the amendment in question possibly infringed on the 14th Amendment of the US Constitution (am I remembering this right? Does anyone else recall something like this?), specifically that the amendment in question as ratified by the State legislature violates due process? Is that a correct interpretation?

Also, why on earth would anyone in this day and age would any agency that provides a pension not want to move to a 401K-style investment system?

This entire debacle hinges on terrible verbiage in an amendment written over 45 years ago, by idiot legislators who didn't have the foresight to see the damage of their actions.
The state constitution is a joke. It was rewritten (Not an amendment, but completely rewritten, source:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constitution_of_Illinois ) in 1970 with corrupt politicians who gave the unions baked in sweetheart guarantees in order to secure votes. The state couldn't afford it then, and most certainly cannot afford it now, especially after half a century of underfunding these pensions.

Lack of foresight? They knew exactly what they were doing.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2021, 3:40 PM

Adam Kinzinger could give Pritzker a run for his money.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2021, 3:45 PM

The sickest part of the constitutionally baked in COLA and under funding by participants is that the majority of Illinois govt retirees bolt for the border towns or for AZ and FL and TN in retirement. We are literally massively exporting our tax dollars. And retirees are not prohibited from double dipping even within Illinois. A CPS teacher can retire after 20 yrs, say at 42 yo and then go teach at a community college or at NEIU and gain another pension at 62ys. Then move to AZ.

And elected officials use that ploy also, graduating from a municipal council job to a county position to an appointed job gaining pension points all the way.

State cannot declare bankruptcy but can go into default. Short of a CONCON (Constitutional Convention) the state may need to bring default proceeding to the brink with a goal for a Federal mediation intervention where the mediator decision is binding for the unions and state.

Illinois would likely emerge with a more modest obligation than current. And the union members would be responsible for greater contributions during work years and larger copays and less COLA during retirement.

Cities are allowed to declare bankruptcy And likewise could use the process to seek Federal mediation. And Chicago is not the only city in arrears. Not sure what the fall out would be but other cities have defaulted and the righted the sip. NYC? But the mediation process and decision would result in a better situation than current.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2021, 3:46 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kngkyle View Post
Considering hardcore Trump-supporting republicans in Illinois hate Kinzinger, I don't know if that is feasible.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2021, 3:47 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Fitch upgrades Cook County debt

Cook County has had an operating surplus for six straight years and is in line to make that happen for a seventh. That's boosted its reserves and, in turn, its bond rating.

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/gove...-fitch-ratings
(Sorry, paywalled)

Old Posted Nov 11, 2021, 3:56 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kngkyle View Post
I struggle to see how a vehement anti-trumper like kinzinger could win the GOP primary given the fact that the lion's share of the state's most reliable GOP primary voters are now downstate MAGA-nauts.

A republican middle roader could potentially win in a statewide election, peeling away scores of suburban moderates, but in our hyper-polarized climate, I just don't see them getting past the primary.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Nov 11, 2021 at 7:19 PM.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2021, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
I struggle to see how a vehement anti-trumperer like kinzinger could win the GOP primary given the fact that the lion's share of the state's most reliable GOP primary voters are now downstate MAGA-nauts.

A republican middle roader could potentially win in a statewide election, peeling away scores of suburban moderates, but in our hyper-polarized climate, I just don't see them getting past the primary.
Kinzinger or other middle roaders or Lincoln Project conservatives need to run as 3rd party candidates in 2022-2024. This tactic can be very effective in drawing 12-14% off of the Trumpateers candidates. This is not just a sacrificial endeavor. The 3rd party gets plenty of face time for their platform and keep their name current. They would have the inside track to claim the middle road positions down the line. It requires younger pols like Kinzinger.

I view the Kinzinger statement of a possible presidential run to be in the GOP primary and/or a 3rd party. Any right leaning 3rd party candidate will draw on an undercurrent of gop resentment of the orange virus.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2021, 4:43 PM
The City

The problem is, very simply, that a downstate white Republican has zero chance of winning. The Republicans keep casting themselves as a white party, and it's just SHITTY messaging that is self-defeating.

There a LOT of minorities that can jive with their message of less Government, lower taxes, pro-business, and stopping the corruption in Springfield all while dodging the racial division BS. But they have a hard time voting for some cornbread hard-right Christian dude who they completely cannot relate to.

So I agree that we're going to be stuck with this rubber stamping fat fuck for another 4 years to wave through more pro-Union and Lefty Social Justice legislation that does nothing for anybody. Pritzker will get reelected, almost certainly.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2021, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
I struggle to see how a vehement anti-trumperer like kinzinger could win the GOP primary given the fact that the lion's share of the state's most reliable GOP primary voters are now downstate MAGA-nauts.
They just have to do the same thing they just did to massive success in Virginia. Ditch the primary and select an actually electable candidate by convention instead.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2021, 4:53 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
Considering hardcore Trump-supporting republicans in Illinois hate Kinzinger, I don't know if that is feasible.
yeah, no way he gets through a primary.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest