HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted May 4, 2021, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always Sunny in SLC View Post
These guys are complaining of a non democratic process, but in reality this has ground through years of democratic processes and this small group is deciding they should be able to at the last minute stop elected officials from doing their job. It is apparent there is no popular support for preservation or more accurately rebuilding this theater at the cost necessary. These people are stopping a democratic process because of their personal preference. Enough with subverting the will of the people and their elected representatives.
That's my take too. It's a tragedy that the Pantages has been lost. But it's a tragedy that played out in the 1990s when they cut through that auditorium horizontally, destroying the proscenium. It was a tragedy when they left it open to the elements. It was a tragedy that previous caretakers...didn't. At this point, this very small and very vocal group is trying to undo something that has already been done. And they're doing it badly. Part of me applauds the effort, but a bigger part of me is just exhausted by it.

Old Posted May 5, 2021, 12:02 AM

Food Alley update

It appears that there has been some construction progress...

Last edited by Orlando; May 5, 2021 at 12:33 AM.

Old Posted May 5, 2021, 12:25 AM
Space Magi

Awesome! Thanks Orlando! With Food Alley and Fife Brewing, along with the residential projects, a new TRAX station, and 650 Main, Midtown is going to be really cool in a few years.

Old Posted May 5, 2021, 3:29 AM

Food alley has looked like that for months. There's a construction crew of four or five maximum that show up once or twice a month.

Old Posted May 5, 2021, 5:34 PM
NIMBY Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by allh View Post
I've passed by Edison House's location and it doesn't even look like it has broke ground yet. But it's opening Spring 2022?
I hear they have a groundbreaking scheduled two weeks from today.

Old Posted May 6, 2021, 12:13 AM

Alta Vue - Commercial Building Permit

https://citizenportal.slcgov.com/Cit...howInspection=

Alta Vue Apartments has filed a Commercial Building Permit

Project Description:
Quote:
5 story, 218 unit, wood framed apartment building over basement parking garage
BSL Article on the project

Old Posted May 6, 2021, 12:27 AM

Central Park V

https://citizenportal.slcgov.com/Cit...howInspection=

A small project I hadn't heard of before has filed Site Development documents.

The project called 'Central Park V' is located directly south adjacent to the recently opened Allen Park across from Westminster College and will be comprised of 5 townhouses.

These are the two houses set to be replaced by the new townhouses:

Old Posted May 6, 2021, 6:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah_Amazing View Post
The project called 'Central Park V' is located directly south adjacent to the recently opened Allen Park across from Westminster College and will be comprised of 5 townhouses.
This one is super close to me. I think it has been finished for a while now unless they're building more townhouses? That would be awesome

Old Posted May 6, 2021, 7:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockies View Post
This one is super close to me. I think it has been finished for a while now unless they're building more townhouses? That would be awesome
It may have already been built I guess and they have just filed an updated version of their site development documents. That could explain why it wasn't on my radar at all.

I haven't been down that way since the pandemic started, so I wouldn't know for sure either way.

Old Posted May 6, 2021, 7:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Nice graphic. That's ~1600 new units in the pipeline for Sugar House alone!

Curious to see what the TwentyOnes facade changes will be. Also, I don't think the Alta Terra project has any retail, or Sugarmont for that matter.
I just double checked and I think your right! Thats shocking! Both were designed to look like they had retail so I always assumed. Instead, its just more residential or faux street engagement.

I went through all of Alta Terra's filings and there isn't even a mention of retail.

Honestly, in a place like Sugar House I think it should be required at this point. Especially in such a prime spot with so much streetscape as Alta Terra.

Old Posted May 6, 2021, 1:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layrasm View Post
Really nice shots. 95 State is a great looking building, especially with the curvature of the glass. Liberty Sky... well that's another story. I really hope they add more to the exterior than just exposed concrete (I'd expect they would, but I've seen that look in cities like Seattle).
If you mean non-glass portions of 95 S. State, I would be shocked if Property Reserve went for anything other than a quality stone finish. Something along the line of the Records Library on Main and No. Temple. I think it's usually a pretty safe bet the whole project will not have any of the value-added fixes. Pretty much following along the same line as the quality of the glass they're putting on the tower. As far as Liberty Sky goes you never know with Cowboy or Boyer. Not all but too many of their past projects leave a lot to be desired when it comes to their finishes. Let's hope for some improvement on their past record.

Old Posted May 6, 2021, 3:41 PM

SLTrib article on the new tower at 370 S West Temple: https://www.sltrib.com/news/2021/05/...-whats-coming/

"When completed in early 2024, the Domain tower will add 342 apartments to the city’s housing stock, the firm said, as well as a 202-room hotel, about 14,000 square feet of retail and restaurant spaces and 265 parking stalls."

Old Posted May 6, 2021, 3:57 PM
Space Magi

Nice! Is this our first truly mixed-use tower? Also, it looks like it's been reduced from 28 to 26 stories.

Full size renderings:

Remove the "h" before ".jpg" for the really big versions.

Old Posted May 6, 2021, 6:11 PM

I love seeing the rendering set into the city like that -- really helps to visualize the building within context.

Aaaaand it's so boxy it'll fit right in with the Borg cube. Yay for boxy buildings in SLC yay.

Old Posted May 6, 2021, 6:42 PM

I'm glad to hear an update on the 370 S tower. Hopefully construction can start sometime this year.

Also, here is a photo update on the Brinshore project:

Old Posted May 6, 2021, 8:23 PM

Interesting. Out of the 4 or so proposed residential towers, I thought this one was the least likely. The fact that they made an announcement through the Trib is a confident and bold move and makes me feel more confident that this one will be built. I think it's a race now between them all. I don't think all will be built, but most of them will. At my work, I am hearing of all sorts of proposed towers in the works. Can't disclose any of it yet, but interesting times indeed.

Last edited by Orlando; May 6, 2021 at 10:22 PM.

Old Posted May 6, 2021, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Interesting. Out of the 4 or so proposed residential towers, I thought this one was the least likely. The fact that they made an announcement through the Trib is a confident and bold move and makes me feel more confident that this one will be built. I think it's a race now between them all I think. I don't think all will be built, but most of them. At my work, I am hearing of all sorts of proposed towers in the works. Can't disclose any of it yet, but interesting times indeed.

Seems like Domain is a go, Astra has started and Worthington is very motivated to get going. I think Main St. will be the one to have hangups, but feel confident three residential towers will be breaking ground this year. Totally could be wrong though

Old Posted May 6, 2021, 8:51 PM
SLC Lifer

Should be a nice project adding density. Love the mix of uses. But how hard is it to give us some exciting shapes and angles? All these flat topped buildings are killing me.

On another note, I'm pretty stoked that a bunch of these should be either built, under hard construction or close to topping out by the 2023 NBA All Star game.

Old Posted May 6, 2021, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvland View Post
Should be a nice project adding density. Love the mix of uses. But how hard is it to give us some exciting shapes and angles? All these flat topped buildings are killing me.

On another note, I'm pretty stoked that a bunch of these should be either built, under hard construction or close to topping out by the 2023 NBA All Star game.
I completely agree with you about the flat tops being problematic.

In Seattle, there is language in the land-use code and Design Guidelines about enhancing the skyline. All highrises go through Design Review up there...actually, almost all buildings do.

I think the Salt Lake City will need to update their land-use code to require the tops of these highrises to not be all flat.

In the 80's & 90's we had a revolt from the boxy and banal modern highrises popping up, and we saw roof forms that had more interest. I'm not saying we should revert back to postmodernism, but architects, developers, & city planners should try to come up with something more interesting. I'd love to see some great contemporary examples.

Last edited by Orlando; May 6, 2021 at 10:28 PM.

Old Posted May 6, 2021, 10:20 PM

Believe in local design talent

Okay. I need to speak out about one particular issue that really bothers me...almost all the new exciting stuff, especially the new highrises, are designed by firms that are not local.

It's time for the city, developers/ owners, etc to believe in local design talent!!

It's time to let them shine and show their pride in their city!
Just like the local tech pioneers that have drummed up this era of fast growth and unprecedented development, it's time to believe in the local talent that they too can be just as awesome or better than these out of town designers! The last highrises designed by a local firm, was the Gateway Tower West in 1997, and the One Utah Center in 1989. I know HKS has a local branch, but they are a national outfit. All of these design firms are invading into the city, Dwell, MVE, KTGY, SGW, SOM, etc, etc. I love most of the designs, but we have talent here that can hold their own.

Believe in the local talent and let them shine!

Last edited by Orlando; May 7, 2021 at 3:08 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West