HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Oct 6, 2011, 9:31 PM

Past Halfax Transit Systems

We have seen pictures of the old Halifax trolley system here in the past. But here is a wonderful brochure that was distributed just prior to its start:

http://www.nspower.ca/site-nsp/media...To.Halifax.pdf

(large .pdf file, be patient)

This system ran from 1949 to 1970.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2011, 11:33 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
We have seen pictures of the old Halifax trolley system here in the past. But here is a wonderful brochure that was distributed just prior to its start:

http://www.nspower.ca/site-nsp/media...To.Halifax.pdf

(large .pdf file, be patient)

This system ran from 1949 to 1970.
Nice find. Thanks for the link.

I remember seeing one of these trolleys. It would have been in the late 60's and I was just in the city for a short visit when I was very young. But I think I saw the overhead power pole coming off the overhead power cables - could that have been possible? (maybe it is a false memory).

Old Posted Oct 6, 2011, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
Nice find. Thanks for the link.

I remember seeing one of these trolleys. It would have been in the late 60's and I was just in the city for a short visit when I was very young. But I think I saw the overhead power pole coming off the overhead power cables - could that have been possible? (maybe it is a false memory).

Oh yes, that happened fairly often, usually at places where there were turns or at intersections. The operator would get out, go to the rear of the trolley and use the rope or cable that the pole was tethered to at the business end to reposition it onto the power line, usually accompanied by some sparks and noise.

I find it interesting that the brochure makes mention of the new steam power plant on the waterfront - the same building that has been converted to NSP offices - a rectifier station in the "north-west end" (I believe this is on Connolly St and has been converted to a funky residence) and two hydroelectric plants.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2011, 12:16 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Nice find!

What I find most striking about this is just how elaborate the system was. I've heard that this was briefly the largest trolleybus system in North America. Setting it up required buying a fleet of all new vehicles, putting up overhead lines over maybe 50 km, etc. This was in a city of 100,000 with 1948 technology.

Contrast this with the attitude of the powers that be today that it's ridiculous to even suggest building a single LRT or commuter rail line.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2011, 12:48 AM
Urban Thinker

It seems pretty backwards that the city had a better transit system 50 years ago than it does today. This alone should be an argument for improving transit in Halifax.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2011, 1:02 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by haligonia View Post
It seems pretty backwards that the city had a better transit system 50 years ago than it does today. This alone should be an argument for improving transit in Halifax.
I agree. Even electric buses are a significant improvement over diesel buses. Vancouver has a fleet of electrics that are substantially quieter than the diesels and produce no emissions. They make busy streets with lots of buses substantially more pleasant and would have a huge impact along Spring Garden Road or Barrington. In the long run they would probably also be substantially cheaper to run because they can use any power source.

If Halifax fails to look at new types of transit I think it will really lose out over the next few decades. Realistically the city's road network is not going to be fixed with new highways and so rapid transit will be the only way to escape gridlock. On top of this, if Halifax does not offer good transit it will miss out on great opportunities for transit-oriented development near the city centre.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2011, 2:12 AM
Honored Member

The brochure is interesting because it gives a glimpse of Halifax in the past and it is great to read the optimism expressed. I also like the way it is illustrated with the NS Power electricity-man.

It is also interesting that the brochure indicated the advantages of trolleys over streetcars - for example, people no longer had to get off in the middle of the street. Reading the brochure, I feel that Halifax has made a practical progression from streetcars which were capital intensive to start up new routes, to trolley buses which were tethered to the overhead electrical lines, to diesel buses which could go anywhere that had roads, to hybrid buses. The next step would be rapid transit with Right of Ways so it would be truly rapid transit.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2011, 3:12 AM
Dartmouth Girl

That brochure is quite a neat read. They mention the "new" rectifier substation building in that brochure, which is on the end of Summit/Seaforth at their corners with Connoly St. I know the person who bought the building and converted it into their house, but haven't really gotten them to give me much history on the place. This just saved me a lot of pestering. lol

Old Posted Oct 7, 2011, 3:24 AM

Wow! If only MT put a bit more into marketing today. I had wondered about that house on Connolly.

Last edited by alps; Oct 7, 2011 at 4:54 AM.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2011, 12:54 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaliStreaks View Post
That brochure is quite a neat read. They mention the "new" rectifier substation building in that brochure, which is on the end of Summit/Seaforth at their corners with Connoly St. I know the person who bought the building and converted it into their house, but haven't really gotten them to give me much history on the place. This just saved me a lot of pestering. lol
Is it this place?

http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=conolly...69.21,,0,-4.91

Old Posted Oct 7, 2011, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstaleness View Post
Indeed it is, I remember back when it was abandoned. I also know the person who renovated it and its quite different inside.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2011, 7:14 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

I would like to see the beltline brought back with the buses we have. I know F.R.E.D. is similar but only runs for the tourists during the summer. The Hybrid Articulated Buses would be a good choice for the route. Visible and best suited for a run where there are lots of pedestrians.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2011, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstaleness View Post
I would like to see the beltline brought back with the buses we have. I know F.R.E.D. is similar but only runs for the tourists during the summer. The Hybrid Articulated Buses would be a good choice for the route. Visible and best suited for a run where there are lots of pedestrians.
Even better, bring it back with electric streetcars.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2011, 10:54 PM

Are the current tracks salvageable?

Old Posted Oct 8, 2011, 1:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cormiermax View Post
Are the current tracks salvageable?
No. Those that still exist are buried under years of resurfacing and are quite deformed from the frost cycle.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure