HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Jan 18, 2008, 3:45 PM

I wonder if this is going to become more common during this credit crunch? The city is basically acting as the early lender for the project.

It sounds like an interesting arangement. The city loans the developer money, who then buy's Kone's existing buildings, and Kone then pays the developer rent, with the rent presumably going to finance the construction of the new tower.

But it sounds like a construction loan is still needed, but it's progress.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2008, 4:40 PM
BANNED

I hope they don't tear down that old tower! Its so cool and such a great piece of advertisement, art, and architecture!

Old Posted Jan 18, 2008, 4:57 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
I hope they don't tear down that old tower! Its so cool and such a great piece of advertisement, art, and architecture!
For now I dont know if it actually sits as a threat to this specific development as it is located on the other side of the interstate bridge further upriver. Although future bridge reallignment plans could potentially ride right over the towers footprint as the bridge is severely outdated in design capacity. The need to keep the old span open while the new one is under construction and possibly save one of the old historic spans will overide the desire to save the tower.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2008, 5:09 AM
TL;DR

Wow, that suspension bridge is awesome! That's an asset right there. Does it allow pedestrian traffic across?

Old Posted Jan 19, 2008, 9:10 AM

^^^ No it doesn't. It is also in the planning stages of being replaced with this...

There is a website devoted to the bridge replacement here

Old Posted Jan 20, 2008, 12:39 AM

I hadn't seen that new bridge design before. It's not bad.

I know the current I-74 bridge has to go eventually, but I'm really going to miss it. It's like a miniature version of the Golden Gate. Suspension bridges just look so much better to me.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2008, 5:31 AM

^^^ Yes, the I-74 bridge is very iconic for the Quad Cities. I don't think you'll see it go anytime soon ,because there have been some federal funding issues with it. However, hopefully the new Kone tower and new bridge will bring a new era to the QC and trigger some more Bettendorf/Moline downtown projects.

and 100th post! Glad to have made it in a thread about my hometown!

Old Posted Jan 20, 2008, 5:57 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post
I know the current I-74 bridge has to go eventually, but I'm really going to miss it. It's like a miniature version of the Golden Gate. Suspension bridges just look so much better to me.
Why can't it be refurbished? Good designs shouldn't be trashed just because somebody in the FHWA has a hard-on for arch bridges.

It's not even a good-looking arch like the Bayonne or Hell Gate Bridges.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2008, 6:26 AM

The bridge doesn't have structural problems, it has capacity problems. It's the main link across the Mississippi for the Quad Cities and is overloaded.
It's also two lanes each way with no shoulder, which tends to freak out drivers. I still remember my first time driving across at 16. It's a white knuckler till you get used to it.
And because there's no shoulder, everytime there's an accident one direction completely shuts down, and a tow truck usually has to go down the wrong way to get to the wreck.

They've been planning a new Mississippi bridge for 15 years, and it'll probably be 15 more, but eventually...

Old Posted Jan 20, 2008, 7:49 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Why can't it be refurbished? Good designs shouldn't be trashed just because somebody in the FHWA has a hard-on for arch bridges.

It's not even a good-looking arch like the Bayonne or Hell Gate Bridges.
There are a number of people that want to attempt to save the original span for a pedestrian/bike path connection between the two sides of the river. One of the spans was originally built in 1925. The other was built around 1960 for the interstate. It is an amazing bridge...especially considering that care was taken to duplicate it perfectly for then highway modernization in the 60s. I would find it hard to believe that if both bridges get torn down that there wouldnt be some public outcry. I remember better bridge versions in 2003-4 where suspension bridges dominated. One design included a tower that i believe was to be nearly 500 feet tall. I could be remembering that incorrectly. Back to topic this new building will be encouraged by Moline as they normally are by the city. Moline gets a lot of help too from John Deere and other companies I believe for the community. Davenport usually only gets things accomplished with state money. If Davenport wasnt its own seperate city, downtown Moline would quite impressive. Considering the closeness of Rock Island, Moline and Davenport they all managed to support their own successful business districts with thier own department stores even until the malls came. The Quad Cities are very successful at home grown business.

Last edited by CenIL_LA; Jan 20, 2008 at 8:22 AM.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2008, 10:32 PM
Bah!

Damn, this thread has been around for months and I just now find it. (Thanks for the PM, Aaron )

This here is the latest rendering of the Bass Street Tower.

thanks to http://absolutedsm.com/

Hopefully work will begin on it soon. Groundbreaking was supposed to be in April of '08 but hit some snags and redtape.
And regarding the new bridge, I hate to say it but, while the old I-74 twin suspention bridge IS beautiful and a major landmark, the sooner they replace it the better. I hate crossing that bridge which I only do a few times a week. Since I live in Rock Island and work in Davenport, I usually use the Centennial Bridge or the Arsenal Bridge. Crossing I-74s incredibly narrow spans is always a treat. Traffic is either at a complete standstill due to construction or an accident, or when traffic is flowing it's zipping along at 75 MPH or faster (which is followed by an accident which brings on another traffic jam). Pretty unnerving.
I'll look through my albums and dig up some more Moline photos.

Last edited by rockyi; Aug 20, 2008 at 2:16 AM.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2008, 10:52 PM
Bah!

Here are some downtown Moline photos I took over the years.
For an old industrial city, it cleans up very nicely.

(I took most of these pics on a hot, humid Saturday evening which explains the lack of people.)

You'll see the influence of John Deere everywhere.

John Deere Collectors Center was designed to look like an old farm implement showroom.

My favorite German pub in a pic I took about 5 years ago.
This building has since been repainted in four muted Victorian colors. It looks beautiful.

Bass Street Landing has mixed old, formerly abandoned buildings with new structures.

Last edited by rockyi; Aug 19, 2008 at 11:35 PM.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2008, 2:04 AM

Thanks for those Rockyi. I miss Moline.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2008, 2:59 AM
Bah!

You're welcome. It's nice to see how far we've come since those dark days of the 1980's.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive