HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 10:48 PM

I think so. Remember they're going to add 2 40 story buildings to that 1980s complex near Fairfax.

I think you'l see alot of that all down the purple line.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2020, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy View Post
I was looking at the areas around the planned D line (purple) extension to speculate on potential new large-scale development and, not surprisingly, some of the station areas are already quite densely developed.

I started by looking at the UCLA station because as it's the future busiest station in the entire system (once the sepulveda pass line opens), it seems ideal for large scale development. The parking lot on the NW maybe? That surely can't stay.
The large parking lot on Wilshire is owned by UCLA and serves as the main lot for hundreds of UCLA employees who work in multiple Wilshire office buildings and the Geffen Academy next door. So the university is unlikely to sell the site. If they do develop it, any proposals would need to include a large parking component.

*Send PM for updates/edits/corrections*

Old Posted Oct 29, 2020, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelseaFC View Post
The large parking lot on Wilshire is owned by UCLA and serves as the main lot for hundreds of UCLA employees who work in multiple Wilshire office buildings and the Geffen Academy next door. So the university is unlikely to sell the site. If they do develop it, any proposals would need to include a large parking component.
Is it possible that UCLA will need less parking than now once the D line and sepulveda pass lines are open? Metro is expecting this to be far and away the busiest station in the system, so a significant number of people that drive now may opt for transit.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2020, 8:11 PM

How one South L.A. neighborhood got a new luxury tower — and rents starting at $3,100

By DAVID ZAHNISER, EMILY ALPERT REYES
OCT. 28, 20205 AM
The sleek new residential tower called Arq is billed as luxury living for L.A.'s creative set, with commanding views and studio apartments for $3,121 per month.

Located at the edge of South Los Angeles, the 30-story high-rise is unlike any other residential building in that part of the city, looming over its neighbors. It’s part of the Cumulus District, a development slated to house restaurants, a Whole Foods supermarket and more than 1,200 apartments.

More in the link, including some questionable decision making by LA council person, Herb Wesson.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2020, 8:23 PM

Skanska, the same company that's building the D line extension started a commercial property office in LA. Their first development will be a 3 story office building at 9000 Wilshire in Beverly Hills. It's about halfway between the Rodeo and La Cienega stations. A little closer to Rodeo.

They just broke ground this month. Not a big deal, but worth noting given that they are a new player in town and their relationship to the subway.

https://commercialobserver.com/2020/...e-los-angeles/

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 10:03 AM

Stopped by Century City on Friday

Subway construction

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 6:25 PM

^ I see they got the public artwork out on display. I wonder if that bust is of anyone in particular?

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 11:57 PM

Wait, is that other tower starting construction?

Old Posted Nov 3, 2020, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
Wait, is that other tower starting construction?
That construction appears to be the Purple Line Century City station.

*Send PM for updates/edits/corrections*

Old Posted Nov 3, 2020, 12:43 AM

Ah. Damn it.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2020, 5:45 AM

I still have yet to see a good shot of the impact those towers have on the CC skyline from afar. I know easier said than done but it'll come someday if I ask enough times lol.

Last edited by Niftybox; Nov 3, 2020 at 6:04 AM.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2020, 7:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybox View Post
I still have yet to see a good shot of the impact those towers have on the CC skyline from afar. I know easier said than done but it'll come someday if I ask enough times lol.
This is all I have for now.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2020, 9:37 AM

x
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybox View Post
Nice pics pwright. I confirmed that they are 600' tall, about 30 feet taller than the bulkier triangular theme towers across the street. So they do make a huge impact. They are currently the tallest skyscrapers outside of DTLA in the region. They are giants from the SD freeway, but nobody can stop to take a pic. Maybe from an overpass?

Old Posted Nov 3, 2020, 9:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
This is all I have for now.
The 31 story, 398' Sierra Tower (residential) shows up nicely in this pic at the base of the hill. One of the first real skyscrapers built in the area in the early 1960s. I believe it is not in L.A., but in West Hollywood just off the Sunset Strip. Was this pic taken in the Mt. Olympus development?

Last edited by CaliNative; Nov 3, 2020 at 10:11 AM.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2020, 2:39 PM

^^^
Photo most likely taken from near the top of Sunset Plaza drive.
The Original twins seem to block the view of the new ones from most views further east.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2020, 3:09 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

They are visible looking west along Pico and Olympic around La Brea. And very prominent.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Nov 3, 2020, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
x

Nice pics pwright. I confirmed that they are 600' tall, about 30 feet taller than the bulkier triangular theme towers across the street. So they do make a huge impact. They are currently the tallest skyscrapers outside of DTLA in the region. They are giants from the SD freeway, but nobody can stop to take a pic. Maybe from an overpass?
Thanks. A construction worker told me they're approximately 550'.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2020, 1:35 AM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Thanks. A construction worker told me they're approximately 550'.
They are 600'. Punch in "list of tallest buildings in L.A." on Wikipedia and they have them at 600. Also in your distance pic from the hill you posted you can see they are a bit taller than the theme towers. All the distance views show them as taller, and I believe they are about the same elevation as the themes. In all your observations, aren't they noticibly taller?

From wikipedia: the Theme Towers are 571' tall, the Century Plaza twins 600'. This is from new and official sources. I'll post the link later.

Last edited by CaliNative; Nov 4, 2020 at 2:55 AM.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2020, 1:40 AM
DENNAB

They do look 600' in comparison to Yamasaki's twins but I'm not sure the elevation difference.

It would make sense since luxury condos have higher ceilings.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2020, 9:48 AM

Building Heights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
They do look 600' in comparison to Yamasaki's twins but I'm not sure the elevation difference.

It would make sense since luxury condos have higher ceilings.

I think that some of the high rise buildings in and around LA get short changed when it comes to their heights. According to the Council on High Rise Building and Habitat (the people who list all the heights to all the tall buildings in every city) a building is measured from the street to it's highest point. Be it a roof or a spire (excluding radio antenna). Two buildings in downtown LA come to mind. (1) The KPMG/KMPG Building at 560 feet. And the (2) AECOM Cal Plaza Building at 578 feet. The first building has been changed from 560 feet to 606 feet, if you will notice in the Council's revised listings. The second building clearly has a side to it that exceeds 600 feet. These buildings were built into Bunker Hill. Olive street has two levels where they dug into Bunker Hill to add a lower street level that services all the receiving bays to these tall buildings. Also the taller Cal Plaza Building at 750 feet has a side to it that I believe exceeds 800 feet in height.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations