HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 16, 2021, 5:31 PM

Amazon hiring 4,800 workers in Philadelphia region

Quote:
Amazon.com Inc. plans to hire 4,800 employees in the Philadelphia area as part of a nationwide push to add 125,000 more workers across the country. The roles will be concentrated in transportation and fulfillment, offering an average starting wage of around $18 per hour.

Amazon (NASDAQ: AMZN) made the announcement on Tuesday morning at Philadelphia's City Hall alongside Mayor Jim Kenney, state Sen. Anthony Hardy Williams, state representative Regina Young, Commerce Director Michael A. Rashid and Philadelphia City Council members Darrell Clark, Cherelle Parker and Kenyatta Johnson.

Amazon Senior Staffing Manager Sam Bankole said that many of the jobs will be serving people in communities that are underserved. The planned Southwest Philadelphia Amazon facility, located at 6901 Elmwood Ave. will be a focal point of the hiring push.

"We're going to bring a thousand jobs to Southwest Philadelphia, to a community that hasn't seen job creation in generations, in a community that has been overlooked," Williams said.
Article behind paywall here:
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...Pos=9#cxrecs_s

Old Posted Sep 16, 2021, 6:32 PM
Chris

Such great news! Now lets poach from New York

I wonder how certain state GOP lawmakers feel about the Philadelphia momentum, lol.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2021, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
Such great news! Now lets poach from New York

I wonder how certain state GOP lawmakers feel about the Philadelphia momentum, lol.
Probably not great, but F 'em if you ask me. What have they ever done for this region? Certainly not the ONLY important region in the state, but clearly THE most important region in the state. It's the largest, and generates the most tax dollars and GDP by a large margin.

We'll continue to assert our growing dominance on the state with our without their support, because as this regions grows bigger, and the rest of the state grows smaller, we'll only continue to gain more seats in the state.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2021, 7:55 PM

I can't EVER remember seeing a pattern of in-migration of company headquarters. It really is pretty incredible.

In terms of the Rite Aid remote work setup, I guarantee the following story will play out many fold: employee from outside Philly spends times at meetings at the Navy Yard; employee joins colleagues in the city for lunches, dinners, and evenings; employee doesn't understand how nice the city is, he/she had always been told it's a complete dump; employee moves to an apartment in the city.

As for poaching from New York, all you need is about 0.1% of companies to make the move, and it would represent huge demand. If NYC doesn't get its s#!t together, it could happen. (Of course, we also need to have our s#!t in order.)

Old Posted Sep 18, 2021, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Probably not great, but F 'em if you ask me. What have they ever done for this region? Certainly not the ONLY important region in the state, but clearly THE most important region in the state. It's the largest, and generates the most tax dollars and GDP by a large margin.

We'll continue to assert our growing dominance on the state with our without their support, because as this regions grows bigger, and the rest of the state grows smaller, we'll only continue to gain more seats in the state.
It’s definitely a positive sign, but I think its more due to the national trend of urban re-investment and the concentration of education and talent pools. I still wouldn’t call the local corporate economy as booming per se - it’s still hard to run a business here. The wage tax, at 3.8398% for residents and 3.4481% for non-residents, is the highest in the country. I may be in the minority on here, but I’m fine with slow consistent growth. Philly doesn’t have to be and shouldn’t necessarily be like NYC. I’m not a “ build skyscrapers everywhere!” person, but to each their own.

I’m more politically moderate these days after living in California for most of my life. Growing up it was pretty nice, but it’s really gone down hill fast the last 10 years or so. The middle class has dried up and/or left for AZ or NV. It’s basically a place of “haves” and “have nots”. Or maybe I’m just bitter that I somehow caught a flesh eating bacteria three months after moving to DTLA. Never move to an area that’s adjacent to the largest homeless encampment in the Western Hemisphere that has typhus outbreaks every six months no matter how “up and coming” it is, but I digress

Old Posted Sep 20, 2021, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhigh07 View Post
It’s definitely a positive sign, but I think its more due to the national trend of urban re-investment and the concentration of education and talent pools. I still wouldn’t call the local corporate economy as booming per se - it’s still hard to run a business here. The wage tax, at 3.8398% for residents and 3.4481% for non-residents, is the highest in the country. I may be in the minority on here, but I’m fine with slow consistent growth. Philly doesn’t have to be and shouldn’t necessarily be like NYC. I’m not a “ build skyscrapers everywhere!” person, but to each their own.
I always read this but I'm not sure it's true. NYC has sky high taxes. The NY resident tax just gets obscured a bit because when you fill out your NY State Returns, it's one return for the state + city.

In reality, for a big city, you really have to look at state + city. Given that PA has shitty funding formulas and short changes cities and underfunds education, you have to look at the whole basket of taxes.

Edit: I just checked my most recent pay stub. NYC tax for me is 3.91. I'm sure it's progressive slash graduated so not sure how it works for each segment of income. My blended NY state is 6.6% so state and city is 10.51%.

State and city combined in PA is 6.91%. At the end of the day, that's what matters. When my address updates to PA and my withholdings change I should get almost a 4% raise.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2021, 3:36 PM

While walking to work this morning, I noticed test boring occurring at 676 North Broad, which is the large lot at Broad and Melon (to the south of Broad and Ridge) that recently sold for $3.125M. I think we're going to see something brought before the CDR really soon. Let's hope it rises beyond 12 stories!

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Sep 21, 2021, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post
While walking to work this morning, I noticed test boring occurring at 676 North Broad, which is the large lot at Broad and Melon (to the south of Broad and Ridge) that recently sold for $3.125M. I think we're going to see something brought before the CDR really soon. Let's hope it rises beyond 12 stories!
Wasn’t this lot the one that you posted the potential rendering for? It was rather attractive.

Edit: nope, it's the lot one parcel south.

I really hope something closer to the Aldi Development and not something like Hanover North Broad gets built here.

Last edited by mcgrath618; Sep 21, 2021 at 7:51 PM.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2021, 6:38 PM

Does a 6 story overbuild on a 6 story building count as a highrise?

http://www.rising.realestate/6-story...-row-building/

Old Posted Sep 21, 2021, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GtownFriend View Post
Does a 6 story overbuild on a 6 story building count as a highrise?

http://www.rising.realestate/6-story...-row-building/
It does! We just need a rendering before I can make a thread, though.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2021, 8:13 PM
Chris

Hopefully the overbuild is something cool looking!

I wonder why Toll Brothers didn't think of this idea?....

Old Posted Sep 21, 2021, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
Hopefully the overbuild is something cool looking!

I wonder why Toll Brothers didn't think of this idea?....
They did at the outset of the proposal. Forget why it ended up not working out, though given that we still have a giant hole in the ground, I can't be very optimistic that they tried very hard to do it.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2021, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
Wasn’t this lot the one that you posted the potential rendering for? It was rather attractive.

Edit: nope, it's the lot one parcel south.

I really hope something closer to the Aldi Development and not something like Hanover North Broad gets built here.
You're correct! 676 N Broad includes the small building at the corner of Broad and Melon, along with the current vacant lot. I now realize that those renderings were only on the listing to sell the building, but I really hope that we get something resembling those renderings! With a few exceptions (notably the west side of the 700 block), North Broad between City Hall and Cecil B. Moore should be filled to the brim with high-density development.

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Sep 21, 2021, 9:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post
You're correct! 676 N Broad includes the small building at the corner of Broad and Melon, along with the current vacant lot. I now realize that those renderings were only on the listing to sell the building, but I really hope that we get something resembling those renderings! With a few exceptions (notably the west side of the 700 block), North Broad between City Hall and Cecil B. Moore should be filled to the brim with high-density development.
I thought you the rendering you had posted was for the next block north? It didn’t look to cover a whole city block in the picture.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2021, 2:35 AM

TFW_Philly on instagram does it again:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CUGBt1uJ..._web_copy_link

Old Posted Sep 22, 2021, 2:54 AM

Old Posted Sep 23, 2021, 3:56 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Im surprised no one posted a pic of the beautiful entrance of the W.

Market St getting back to its groove.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2021, 5:06 PM
Philly Rising Up!

^
Good work on the photos, Tony! You should definitely take more photos and share them on this site. We don't get as many night time shots as we do with daytime ones.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2021, 5:10 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
^
Good work on the photos, Tony! You should definitely take more photos and share them on this site. We don't get as many night time shots as we do with daytime ones.
Thank you!!! I just switched from Nikon to Sony so im learning the new system.

Ill be happy to share, I try to keep it within the boundaries of the topics but if it's all good to share photos Ill be more then happy to share them.

I love night photography you really get a different feel.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2021, 5:21 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Skyline

Skyline II

Center City

Chinatown

Statues

Last edited by TonyTone; Sep 24, 2021 at 5:38 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations