HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted May 10, 2019, 6:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasPlaya View Post
I’m not a party animal anymore but still prefer hanging out with Denver and Austin. To be fair, I haven’t been to Seattle since 2010.
You'd be shocked at how much Seattle has changed since 2010. I'm not sure a US city has changed more during the last decade than Seattle has.

Old Posted May 10, 2019, 7:48 PM

Re. the "people are moving to the South and there are black people"; the black parts of the South are actually emptying out. The black belt counties, especially the Delta, are basically emptier than anytime in the last century.

It's generally the upland, less black sections of the South that attract non-Southerners (both white and nonwhite). I do think that race is at least somewhat a factor for why, say, Nashville, is preferred over Memphis or Birmingham.

Old Posted May 10, 2019, 9:42 PM
Future God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Re. the "people are moving to the South and there are black people"; the black parts of the South are actually emptying out. The black belt counties, especially the Delta, are basically emptier than anytime in the last century.

It's generally the upland, less black sections of the South that attract non-Southerners (both white and nonwhite). I do think that race is at least somewhat a factor for why, say, Nashville, is preferred over Memphis or Birmingham.
Nashville proper is still only 55% non hispanic white, so if that is part of the reason some people are moving there, I'd say they're in for a quite a shock once they arrive. haha

-Bob Marley

Old Posted May 10, 2019, 11:07 PM

Quote:
I do think that race is at least somewhat a factor for why, say, Nashville, is preferred over Memphis or Birmingham.
Well, it sure ain't "bones" or architecture... so maybe

Old Posted May 10, 2019, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnaBreaker View Post
Nashville proper is still only 55% non hispanic white, so if that is part of the reason some people are moving there, I'd say they're in for a quite a shock once they arrive. haha
That's a very high % white for a city center, so not sure what would be shocking. Most major U.S. metros are majority nonwhite, and city centers moreso.

And we aren't talking about "nonwhites" but blacks. Nashville is not very black compared to Memphis or Birmingham. Of course it isn't the only factor, but it's probably not irrelevant, either.

Old Posted May 10, 2019, 11:53 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Hill View Post
Seattle becomes more fun to hang out with once you're all grown up and past your party animal phase.
this is fair. i go to seattle almost every late-summer and wander the easily accessible wilderness and then have a few dinners in town and am happy. i’ve done the same across the west but seems easiest/most satisfying in seattle.

Old Posted May 11, 2019, 12:13 AM

Nashville, Austin, and Denver are all also state capitals. That is also likely a major factor.

Old Posted May 11, 2019, 1:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
So in other words, a social group is fine with using the benefits that they are lawfully given, but when others outside their social group are using the same benefits, those people are somehow freeloading. Got it.

???

I think that's one of the problems with American culture; many still seem to buy into social stratification; basically many here think that a caste system is fine.

I'm sure rural people would also like universal healthcare, tuition-free education, a living wage...

As it is now, minimum wages vary among the states. I don't see a problem with varying living wages based on what would be considered a living wage in the individual US states. I would expect Arkansas to have its own living wage, for example, based on COL there.

For the same reason a lawyer would pay taxes to send a person to study vocational training at community colleges and become a plumber, or a lineman, or to study cosmetology, or to become a certified court reporter, or culinary arts, etc. I would think that tuition-free education would also cover vocational training.
I'm sure they would. Unfortunately, American culture has taught poor white people that they do not want good things if black people also get some benefit from it. There are actually a lot of people who actually believe that there are more black people on public assistance than white people, when that is statistically impossible considering Afro-Americans typically hover between 13-14% of the population. Hell the whole "Rural Political Strategy aka Southern Strategy" was developed after the Civil Rights Acts of the 60s to capitalize off this hatred of black Americans. It has largely been successful to this day and the only reason the Right Wing Republicans even have a chance at national and state offices.

Old Posted May 11, 2019, 3:03 AM

Quote:

Crawford, are you a politician? I swear you are incredibly good at taking a real fact and bending it to whatever point you are trying to make at a particular time.

Rural southern counties have been emptying out for years, this isn't unique to rural black areas. Also, migration to black and white rural areas doesn't happen in America. So I don't get the point...

If we were being seriously academic here, what "somewhat a factor" would race be in people choosing Nashville over Memphis?

I think crime, economic conditions, projected prosperity, schools, and natural environment would rank very high in people picking Nashvile over Memphis. I used to live near Memphis, and baring its incredible charm and history(my gf loves it), we both would never live there. The weather is markedly worse than Nashville, crime is out of control, most of the city is rundown or looks barren, not enough economic opportunities or growth. Black people don't come into the equation because if we did move to Memphis, we would move to a safe area, if that meant there were no black people or 100% black people, it wouldn't matter.

My neighborhood is about 30% black and we are surrounded on 2 sides by public housing which is 99% black. I feel safe because I know our neighborhood crime stats(we live downtown, so we get a lot of drunken idiots, but thats *mostly* it) and I've walked down every street down here.

I never understood how people can say X people do X because of racism without ever, ever being able to prove anything.

Old Posted May 11, 2019, 3:06 AM

Quote:
That's a very high % white for a city center, so not sure what would be shocking. Most major U.S. metros are majority nonwhite, and city centers moreso.

And we aren't talking about "nonwhites" but blacks. Nashville is not very black compared to Memphis or Birmingham. Of course it isn't the only factor, but it's probably not irrelevant, either.
What is your point here?

No, most cities aren't 63% black like Memphis. Nashville being 55% white and attracting mostly whites is noteworthy, Memphis not attracting whites(or blacks, for that matter) is noteworthy. But why aren't blacks moving to Nashville? Is that noteworthy?

I don't understand any of this type thinking.

Old Posted May 11, 2019, 3:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
I'm sure they would. Unfortunately, American culture has taught poor white people that they do not want good things if black people also get some benefit from it. There are actually a lot of people who actually believe that there are more black people on public assistance than white people, when that is statistically impossible considering Afro-Americans typically hover between 13-14% of the population. Hell the whole "Rural Political Strategy aka Southern Strategy" was developed after the Civil Rights Acts of the 60s to capitalize off this hatred of black Americans. It has largely been successful to this day and the only reason the Right Wing Republicans even have a chance at national and state offices.
You really think poor whites don't want healthcare because blacks will get it too?

No wonder liberals are so pissed all the time...you guys think whites are just a bunch of assholes who hate 40 million Americans.

Old Posted May 11, 2019, 4:58 AM
Future God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post

No wonder liberals are so pissed all the time...you guys think whites are just a bunch of assholes who hate 40 million Americans.
Huh?

-Bob Marley

Old Posted May 11, 2019, 5:29 AM

Uh oh. Well, it was fun while it lasted...

Edit: You know what; I take that back! This thread miraculously survived the Mormon/cult thing. Then it survived that thing with me and that other guy arguing about whether or not we were arguing about what we were arguing about. If it can survive that, it can survive anything! Let's do this!

Last edited by Sam Hill; May 11, 2019 at 5:50 AM.

Old Posted May 11, 2019, 5:50 AM
Future God

Quote:

Actually it's like around 50% now, because I'm just realizing that other figure is from the 2010 census. Nevertheless, you make a fair point, as it is true that Nashville is in the bottom half of the 100 largest cities in terms of non-white percentage. I just meant that if there is anyone moving there (or most any large city outside the pacific northwest or plains) assuming they won't have to mix with any non-whites, they'll likely be disappointed.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted May 11, 2019, 5:52 AM
Future God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Hill View Post
Uh oh. Well, it was fun while it lasted...

Edit: You know what; I take that back! This thread miraculously survived the Mormon/cult thing. Then it survived that thing with me and that other guy arguing about whether or not we were arguing about what we were arguing about. If it can survive that, it can survive anything! Let's do this!
For the record, Jaynyc just seems to be like that in every thread, intentionally twisting things around seemingly for no other reason than to light fires. So don't feel singled out. haha

-Bob Marley

Old Posted May 11, 2019, 2:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Nashville, Austin, and Denver are all also state capitals. That is also likely a major factor.
I agree that being a state capital is a major factor. I think being a fairly decent size metro along with the capital was a 'secret sauce'. It must be why a city like Columbus, Ohio is also now growing at a good clip while Cincinnati is growing less quickly and Cleveland is struggling, and why OKC overtook Tulsa as the largest metro in Oklahoma. I notice the some state capitals that are relative small in size may be growing like Madison, WI but they are not gaining traction like the bigger ones. And other small ones like Tallahassee, FL may never grow to a major metro size (1 million plus) since they are too small to begin with.

Old Posted May 11, 2019, 7:32 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAsam View Post
You'd be shocked at how much Seattle has changed since 2010. I'm not sure a US city has changed more during the last decade than Seattle has.
I remember visiting UW when I was applying to grad school in 2009 and people claimed it was possible to live off their paltry 17k grad student stipend (basically half of what MIT and Caltech were offering...). I hope they've increased that by now...

Old Posted May 11, 2019, 7:41 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post
You really think poor whites don't want healthcare because blacks will get it too?

You're right, nobody has ever used racial tropes like "welfare queens" or "strapping young bucks" to dismantle social services...

Old Posted May 11, 2019, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
idk about this, state capitals don't really perform consistently. It's a benefit but not a "major factor".

Old Posted May 11, 2019, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCReid View Post
I agree that being a state capital is a major factor. I think being a fairly decent size metro along with the capital was a 'secret sauce'. It must be why a city like Columbus, Ohio is also now growing at a good clip while Cincinnati is growing less quickly and Cleveland is struggling, and why OKC overtook Tulsa as the largest metro in Oklahoma. I notice the some state capitals that are relative small in size may be growing like Madison, WI but they are not gaining traction like the bigger ones. And other small ones like Tallahassee, FL may never grow to a major metro size (1 million plus) since they are too small to begin with.
Oklahoma City has been the larger city in Oklahoma since the beginning of the 20th century. Tulsa has historically been the more important city though, although that has changed in the past decade as Oklahoma City diversified its economy and experienced higher growth than Tulsa. It’s a somewhat similar dynamic as Milwaukee and Madison being relatively close to each other (90 miles between OKC and Tulsa) but very different places. Together they have 2.5 million people one of the reasons why OKC has an NBA team.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions