HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Europe

Old Posted Nov 26, 2006, 5:52 AM
Puyo!

Why no European supertalls

I am curious why Europe don't have any high rise like over 500 meters buildings? Alot of Eurpoean artichets proposed a tall towers to Asia, but why not Europe? Is there any height restricts there?

Old Posted Nov 26, 2006, 10:29 AM
Rrrraaaahhhhh!!!!!

^^ historical centres

Old Posted Nov 26, 2006, 11:54 AM
:)

Actually there is 612 meters tall building is approved in Moscow and is currently on the plot preparation state. 448 meters tall is also under construction.
West Tower: core - 62 levels (232,0m) / floorplates - 62 levels (232,0m)

Old Posted Nov 26, 2006, 1:35 PM
FutureTimeline.net

Can somebody make the thread title a bit more interesting.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2006, 5:56 PM
SSC expat

In case of Germany there are height restrictions. But I think even without height restrictions few German companies would want to build such supertalls as their are economically not interesting.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2006, 7:06 PM

No need for uneconomical monumental tall buildings to impress the rest of the world?

Old Posted Nov 26, 2006, 7:42 PM
fried white rice

That's an interesting question but perhaps there is no one particular reason to indicate it in the answer. Perhaps there is a combination of reasons. I however wouldn't mind seeing more taller skyscrapers in the European cities. They DO make cities look more attractive and sexy.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2006, 8:36 AM
:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qaabus
No need for uneconomical monumental tall buildings to impress the rest of the world?
i would not call them uneconomical.

if to take 300m mark then there are at least 16 u/c, approval and proposals in moscow.
West Tower: core - 62 levels (232,0m) / floorplates - 62 levels (232,0m)

Last edited by coth; Nov 27, 2006 at 11:48 AM.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2006, 9:44 AM
FutureTimeline.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by coth
i would not call them uneconomical.

if to take 300m mark then there are at least 16 u/c, approval and proposals in moscow.
City Hall is one building, so you mean 13.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2006, 10:43 PM

It does not make sense from economic viewpoint.

Only to satisfy ego. Dubaï supertalls are funded by state-controlled companies.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2006, 11:23 PM
eklips you know

Asia needs to proove it's economic importance. US urbanisme is centered around skyscrapers, Europe just doesn't need supertalls.

And they are coming anyways.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2006, 10:30 PM
Kicking it Viking style..

Quote:
Originally Posted by rav
Asia needs to proove it's economic importance. US urbanisme is centered around skyscrapers, Europe just doesn't need supertalls.
So true!

It would however be nice to have a few

Old Posted Dec 31, 2006, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rav View Post
US urbanisme is centered around skyscrapers
That may have been true in the past, but not anymore. I would say contemporary US urbanism is based around urban sprawl, NY being an exception.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2007, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accura View Post
That may have been true in the past, but not anymore. I would say contemporary US urbanism is based around urban sprawl, NY being an exception.
"sprawl" is a vague term without a very specific concept. In reality, most American city cores have been revitalizing for about 20 years or so now.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2007, 3:34 PM

i thought supertalls were anthing over 400m?

*answer to thread question* its beacuse 90% of the citys in europe are Historic, and major citys with architectural monuments.. (london paris etc..) have guildlines on where highrises can be built, to stop the view from being ruined.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2007, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcry View Post
i thought supertalls were anthing over 400m?

*answer to thread question* its beacuse 90% of the citys in europe are Historic, and major citys with architectural monuments.. (london paris etc..) have guildlines on where highrises can be built, to stop the view from being ruined.
Well, in the regular vocabulary, a supertall structure has been defined as a structure which is taller than 1,000 feet, which is slightly more than 300 meters.

The first supertall structure worldwide has been the Eiffel Tower. It is the only supertall structure built during the 19th century (specifically in 1889). At the time of its completion, it was nearly twice taller than the former tallest structure.

Nowadays, supertalls imply more a skyscraper... probably because the arrivals of concrete and TV have multiplied the number of tower above 300 meters, making them too common.

Now this being said, 118 years later, the Eiffel Tower remains the structure hosting the highest floor in Europe. Something which is kind of amazing knowing everything which happened during the 20th century.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2007, 2:51 PM

I believe, there is an informal treaty not to built structures of any kind taller than 365.25 metres (= 1200 ft) in Europe (excpt former Soviet Union).

It should be noted, that only 5 antenna structures were built in Europe except of former Soviet Union, that overpasses this mark.

These are/were:

* Konstantynow Radio Mast, Konstantynow, Poland, built 1972-1974, collapsed in 1991, height: 646.4 metres ( http://en.structurae.de/structures/d...fm?id=s0000672 )
* Hellissandur longwave transmission mast, Hellissandur, Iceland, built 1963, height: 412 metres ( http://en.structurae.de/structures/d...fm?ID=s0014958 )
* Old TV Mast Emley Moore, Emley Moore, UK, built 1964, collapsed in 1969, height: 385 metres ( http://en.structurae.de/structures/d...fm?id=s0013859 )
* Belmont TV Mast, Donington on Bain, UK, built 1965, height: 385 metres ( http://en.structurae.de/structures/d...fm?ID=s0014952 )
* Gerbrandy Tower, Ijsselstein, Netherlands, built 1961, height: 375 metres ( http://en.structurae.de/structures/d...fm?ID=s0012623 )
* TV Tower Berlin, Berlin, Germany, built 1969, height: 368 metres ( http://en.structurae.de/structures/d...fm?ID=s0000113 ). The height of TV Tower Berlin was until the renovation of its antenna mast in 1997, 365 metres, so it did not exceed the 365.25 metres at time of completion.

When you go to lower height values, you will find out that the number o structures in the corresponding height ranges grow fastly and that nearly each European country has at least one structure in the height range between 300 and 365.25 metres in form of a guyed mast, a free-standing tower, a chimney or in case of France also as a bridge.

This list shows clearly that after 1965 except of Konstantynow Radio Mast no structure taller than 365.25 metres was built in Europe outside the area of former Soviet Union, although there are and were many proposals for structures taller than 365.25 metre as that for a 750 metre tall TV tower or for skyscrapers in Paris.
Even at present time there is no such structure under construction in Europe outside the GUS-states!

From all proposls only the proposed rebuilt of Konstantynow Radio Mast was close before realizatio ( some basements work were made, before it was cancelled after protests of people living nearby fearing electrosmog).

Messina Strait Bridge, which was until short time ago the best candidate for Europe's next structure exceeding the 365 metre mark, was obviously also cancelled for next time ( although the idea of a bridge over Messina Strait will never die and if it will be ever built, it will be built for practical-technical reasons as suspension bridge with supertall bridge pillars. A tunnel would be not a good choice, because Mssina Strait is very deep)

I believe, that the next structure in Europe exceeding the 365.25 metre mark will be Torre Solar in Spain. But until no construction work definitely started for it, one should not elive, that it will be built ( in my opinion this tower should be built higher than the proposed 750 metres, not only for prestige, also to mke the power station it should serve for more efficient)

For supertall skyscrapers in Europe (except former Soviet Union), I believe there is only a bare chance of realization. First, living in high-rise buildings is not popular in Europe and the richer people prefer living in houses with gardens.
Then many companies reduce their administrative section, so the requirements for office space decrease. For example the chemical company Bayer in Leverkusen replaced its old headquater in a highrise building ( http://www.leverkusen.com/guide/Arch.../Lev00054.html ) by a new headquater in a flat building ( http://www.leverkusen.com/guide/Arch.../Lev00294.html ) and not by a taller highrise building!

The highrise building "Langer Oscar" in Hagen ( http://en.structurae.de/structures/d...fm?ID=s0015519 ) was replaced by the lowrise "SparkassenKarree" ( http://www.velta.de/de/pdm0502/projekt.htm ).

Old Posted Jan 5, 2007, 9:12 PM

agreed
also very interesting post thanks for sharing

Old Posted Nov 26, 2006, 11:32 PM
Honored Member

I guess Europeans in general are not used to live high above the ground.
There is a tendancy of living in houses or low scrapers altough a few cities like Rotterdam are really building new tall residential towers.
In larger cities like Paris or London there are since many decades many tall buildings but there are no plans to built higher towers, perhaps Moscow is the only exeption.
Honestly I cannot imagine Dubaiesque situations on the old continent altough some seaside resorts along the Mediterrenean coastline like Benidorm is the closest by far.
Asian situations are not at all to be found here; look what the several new towns of the 60's & 70's brought

Old Posted Nov 27, 2006, 2:34 AM
Puyo!

Well I am more likely talking about England, Germany, France, Spain, any countries at West Europe. I know they have really wonder design of towers, but not the supertalls. I think some of you might be right, they just don't like supertalls or don't need supertalls.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Europe