HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs

Old Posted Feb 3, 2023, 9:17 PM
National Capital Region

555-603 March Rd | ?m | 6 to 30f | Proposed

https://v2.ottwatch.ca/devapp/D02-02-22-0108

Docs not up yet - A mid and high-rise mixed use (residential, office and retail) development. Approximately 2,100 residential units.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2023, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post

Docs not up yet - A mid and high-rise mixed use (residential, office and retail) development. Approximately 2,100 residential units.
That's a lot of units. Imagining a NOKIA type redevelopment, which would be welcome.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2023, 10:01 PM

Ahh yes, building a new 'Downtown Kanata' in the second largest employment hub in the region...the opposite direction from where we're building stage 3 light rail. Why send it here when we can send it to a corn field between Kanata and Stittsville?

Old Posted Feb 3, 2023, 10:05 PM

Holy shit this will be huge. The Nokia lot is twice the size and will have '11 residential towers ranging in height from 13 to 29 storeys — some of which exceed the current height limit of 144 feet. The new development would include space for retailers, restaurants and sufficient parking for 2,410 cars. Current plans call for 1,900 residential units. The Nokia site requires rezoning to permit residences, retailers and restaurants.'

Are we talking about 40+ story buildings to fit 2100 units on this lot???

Old Posted Feb 4, 2023, 1:34 AM

Quote:

All documents filed on or before November 18 and I assume deemed complete? yet the summary letter not ready until February 6. And you wonder why people are so eager to build outside the City of Ottawa and still in eastern Ontario. If that delay is due to staffing issues/workload management etc, as the applicant I would be seriously ticked off. The inertia at City Hall is incredible.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2023, 11:25 AM
National Capital Region

Docs are up... wow! Developer is Main + Main, SvN is the architect.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2023, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Docs are up... wow! Developer is Main + Main, SvN is the architect.
I’m shocked. At first glance, it seems great.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2023, 12:27 PM

bahahahahaha... no LRT... March Road and Terry Fox going to get lit with this + Nokia redevelopment + Brookstreet! This city couldn't plan itself out of a paper bag.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2023, 1:38 PM

Wow
we really needed this.. but elsewhere?

Edit: docs are up

Old Posted Feb 6, 2023, 1:59 PM

Hey, it's just a miniature version of downtown Ottawa, with the Ottawa Standard 25-30 story buildings. Between this, the Nokia development, and Brookstreet 1+2 across the street, Kanata is well on it's way to having it's own ugly tabletop skyline. There isn't a single charcoal brick in sight....at least until they hand it over to RLA last minute and we get another CharcWhite City like the one going up in Vanier.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2023, 3:12 PM

This looks amazing! I'd love to see some of this at LeBreton along the O-Train.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2023, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
This looks amazing! I'd love to see some of this at LeBreton along the O-Train.
A sea of 25-30 story buildings is the last thing I'd like to see at Lebreton.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2023, 3:53 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

555-603 March Rd | ?m | 6 to 30f | Proposed

March and Main Developments Inc. [Main and Main] have prepared a concept plan in support of a Zoning By-Law Amendment application, to illustrate the potential redevelopment of the Subject Site at 555, 591, 595 and 603 March Road.

March and Main is proposing a redevelopment of the properties for a mid and high-rise mixed use development on a modified grid network of streets, with approximately 2100 residential units units. Eight residential and mixed-use buildings between six and 30 storeys, and two office buildings with seven or eight storeys are proposed. Ground-floor retail is proposed in select buildings along an east-west roadway at the south end of the site. A public park is anticipated to be provided along the Hines Road frontage. Vehicular access is proposed from March Road, Hines Road and Terry Fox Drive.

Architect: SvN Architects

Development application:
https://devapps.ottawa.ca/en/applica...2-0108/details

Siteplan:

Massing:

Additional renderings:

Old Posted Feb 6, 2023, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshsparrow View Post
bahahahahaha... no LRT... March Road and Terry Fox going to get lit with this + Nokia redevelopment + Brookstreet! This city couldn't plan itself out of a paper bag.
If the Sens really move downtown! The city should really start re evaluating the Kanata stage 3 LRT and the need to bring it to Stittsville over Kanata north. Personally I always though the kanata lrt should stop at terry Fox or Tanger Outlet anyway.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2023, 8:44 PM

At this point I imagine we'll get a spur to Tanger/Palladium and another spur to Kanata North, I bet they will scrub running it down to Hazeldean/Maple Grove entirely. The Palladium is about to have massive park & ride lot possibilities when the team moves downtown.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2023, 6:35 AM

Amazing. This is great! I love this, and the fact that this creates a better hub with Brookstreet and the Nokia development is huge.

Considering the Sens move to downtown and that we don't know if they'll repurpose the arena to anything like an indoor waterpark or something else like an attraction... it may be difficult to find a straight path to Kanata North. Either way, they do need to figure out effective routing either via a mini BRT path or a proper loop from the closest LRT station to here. Or they could cut back a bit so the last stop is near Tanger and then make it swing north instead of south so it is easier to create a connection to the developments found here.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2023, 1:59 PM

I foresee a spur, nothing so elaborate as that. Two terminations like Moodie and Algonquin.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2023, 2:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
At this point I imagine we'll get a spur to Tanger/Palladium and another spur to Kanata North, I bet they will scrub running it down to Hazeldean/Maple Grove entirely. The Palladium is about to have massive park & ride lot possibilities when the team moves downtown.
I'd be good with that. It would give the Kanata branches 8-minute frequencies, which is respectable. They could either use the planned BRT path (albeit elevated) or the Beachburg Sub just after Moodie Yards.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2023, 4:34 PM

I think that a Kanata North transit connection to the O-Train can be handled by extending the Baseline BRT buses through Bells Corners, along Moodie, Carling, and March to Kanata North. This route also connects the DND campus to the Moodie Station. The actual BRT lanes would not need to be continued along the entire route, but the rail overpass on Carling should, probably, be replaced.

The blue line in this image would be the BRT bus route:

For fun, I have included a path for an autonomous electric vehicle, following the green line. I have put it along the Golf course corridor, since that will be new development, and is fairly central. This would give Kanata North the chance to prove that it is a leaded in small, autonomous transit vehicles. (Because of the potential for snow-covered roads, I would suggest using a buried-wire guidance.)

Old Posted Feb 7, 2023, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
I'd be good with that. It would give the Kanata branches 8-minute frequencies, which is respectable. They could either use the planned BRT path (albeit elevated) or the Beachburg Sub just after Moodie Yards.
I'm not sure where your 8 minutes comes from. Is it the 15-minute shuttle (Line 3) service divided by 2? Or 2-minute mainline service divided by 2 and then divided by 2 again?

Why I ask is because, if the mainline trains are running at a 10-minute frequency, then Line 1 and Line 3 will each be at half of that. If you then divide Line 3's frequency by 2 again, then service on each of those branches will only be at a 40-minute frequency.

Even at a 'normal' 5-minute mainline frequency, service on the Kanata North branch would be every 20 minutes.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs