HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Apr 6, 2021, 6:03 PM

Of course it's a matter of perspective.

I think we all agree that most people commute by car. That being said my goal would be to provide infrastructure for the cyclists without impeding the commutes of the majority of people. This is the same argument I made about Roosevelt downtown. There are so many options already for bicycle commuting.

This is the opinion of a man who owns numerous bicycles and rides them very often on public thoroughfares.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2021, 6:09 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
Of course it's a matter of perspective. My takeaway is that a vast majority of people commute by car, so the goal is to satisfy the needs of those who commute by bike without impeding the commutes of the majority. I think two parallels bicycle roads that are 3/4 mile apart achieves that.
If Washington/Jefferson were at or near capacity, I might agree, but those streets are never congested. There's plenty of excess space there if anyone no longer wants to drive a transformed Van Buren. In terms of cross-town travel, I agree the Fillmore bike boulevard and the Washington/Jefferson pair are sufficient. I'm thinking more in terms of access to local businesses along Van Buren via bike, along with quality of life improvements that would result from a calmer street. Unfortunately, some residents perceived the opposite, claiming that bike lanes would bring more crime. I'm still trying to wrap my head around that one.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2021, 6:13 PM

Bike lanes and sidewalks bringing in crime is a cop out. There are a lot of people who are allergic to any change - look at the people in South Phoenix who are afraid of increased property values - so they'll make those arguments until they're all exhausted. It's a form of NIMBYism.

As for the perspective thing again:

"If Washington/Jefferson were at or near capacity, I might agree, but those streets are never congested."

I might suggest that if the bike lanes on Washington/Jefferson were at or near capacity we might need some on VB as well.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2021, 11:22 PM
Modulator

Just a small tidbit. Not sure if anyone noticed yet, but 5th Ave is now a two-way street from Roosevelt to Van Buren. Not sure if it continues to Washington or not as I didn't go that far down.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2021, 12:30 PM
self-important urbanista

Here's a map someone (maybe someone on this forum?) shared on Twitter. I think it's a realistic vision of what the combined effect of light rail expansion and commuter rail could look like, although it leaves out any rail service to Tucson due to its focus on a Maricopa County transportation tax:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...en&usp=sharing

Old Posted Apr 8, 2021, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
Here's a map someone (maybe someone on this forum?) shared on Twitter. I think it's a realistic vision of what the combined effect of light rail expansion and commuter rail could look like, although it leaves out any rail service to Tucson due to its focus on a Maricopa County transportation tax:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...en&usp=sharing
That’s not right. Metro light rail will extended from 79th Ave & I-10 to Desert Sky Mall. If they extend to State Farm Stadium on 79th Ave. I don’t see extending to PV Mall, but the mall is closed. They will be demolition soon. It won’t let bring light rail to Paradise Valley Mall.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2021, 9:40 PM
Skyriser

I don't believe the tax has been programmed yet and the above comes from a hypothetical spend.

That being said, in that "plan" they do have commuter rail figures and the ridership numbers are absurdly low. They only have 20 people a day boarding in Wickenburg.

https://azmag.gov/Portals/0/Document...2017-09-17.pdf (page 11-10)

Old Posted Apr 9, 2021, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
I don't believe the tax has been programmed yet and the above comes from a hypothetical spend.

That being said, in that "plan" they do have commuter rail figures and the ridership numbers are absurdly low. They only have 20 people a day boarding in Wickenburg.

https://azmag.gov/Portals/0/Document...2017-09-17.pdf (page 11-10)
Have you been to Wickenburg?

20 people a day seems reasonable - there’s little reason to go there. Maybe people there want to ‘come into the city’ for something. But these are boomer retirees up there mainly - they’ll just drive.

Really curious how long it will take for that area to grow - the aggressive freeway plan for west of the White Tanks is impressive (I-11, White Tanks Freeway, SR-74, etc)

Old Posted Apr 9, 2021, 5:48 PM
Skyriser

I misremembered Wickenburg as being more than 7,500 people ... but that's the proposed ridership for 2040 when some of all that will be built out.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2021, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
I misremembered Wickenburg as being more than 7,500 people ... but that's the proposed ridership for 2040 when some of all that will be built out.
I would suspect that by 2040 people who are living around Wickenburg who are not retired would be working at the proving grounds in the area or commuting down SR-74 to get to TSMC. So I don’t see the proposed commuter rail helping with that. This rail proposal came out before the TSMC project - so wonder how they would adjust that now if given the chance.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2021, 9:32 PM
BANNED

There are going to be very few people (even in the future) that live in Wickenburg that work in Downtown Phoenix and would actually use commuter rail.

The only reason a station in Wickenburg would make some sense if it was on a regional rail route between Vegas and Phoenix.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2021, 10:40 PM
self-important urbanista

If Wickenburg were to become the terminus of a regional rail line, some of the value might not be in round trips from Wickenburg, but instead round trips to Wickenburg. With Scottsdale fast losing its "West's Most Western Town" shtick, Wickenburg is one of the few places still maintaining a semblance of cowboy culture. For people staying downtown for conventions or business travel, a train ride to Wickenburg might be something that the town's tourist bureau could pitch. The Desert Caballeros museum, which focuses on western art, is right by the tracks, as are various saloons and restaurants. A lot of people who visit Phoenix expect some Old West cliches, and Wickenburg can deliver them. As an added bonus, the train would pass right by the scenic appeal of the Hassayampa River Preserve. Is any of this sufficient justification by itself to build regional rail? Of course not. Nevertheless, if it were built for a variety of reasons, the travel might be more bidirectional and not just Wickenburg residents traveling to Phoenix.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 6:26 PM

Finally stumbled across the new Siemens model in Downtown Phoenix this morning!

Old Posted Apr 22, 2021, 7:24 PM
Modulator

^^^
Nice! Hope to see one running today

Old Posted Apr 23, 2021, 6:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
Finally stumbled across the new Siemens model in Downtown Phoenix this morning!

Nice! I'm glad you saw new light rail cars. I hope Tempe Streetcar to start service soon. Right now, they still have to be testing. They will be in Tempe. Hope they will be done sometime in a few months or so.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2021, 11:24 PM
Modulator

Video of the new Siemens LRV testing on Central Ave. Not sure how to link a video from Imgur to SSP, so I'll just post the URL. Also, it appears there's no sound on my Imgur video for some reason. The bells were slightly different than the current LRV's, but not much.

https://imgur.com/K5LFmwC

Before anyone says it...yes, my eyes were on the road. I started the video at a stop light and just pointed the camera over my shoulder as I drove by. So no negative comments please

Old Posted Apr 27, 2021, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
Video of the new Siemens LRV testing on Central Ave. Not sure how to link a video from Imgur to SSP, so I'll just post the URL. Also, it appears there's no sound on my Imgur video for some reason. The bells were slightly different than the current LRV's, but not much.

https://imgur.com/K5LFmwC

Before anyone says it...yes, my eyes were on the road. I started the video at a stop light and just pointed the camera over my shoulder as I drove by. So no negative comments please
wow very nice!!!!

Old Posted Apr 28, 2021, 3:27 PM

Glad someone caught this. I saw the new trains yesterday and wasn't sure if they were new trains of if they were for some reason testing street cars on the line. It said Not in Service.

Old Posted May 2, 2021, 3:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post
Glad someone caught this. I saw the new trains yesterday and wasn't sure if they were new trains of if they were for some reason testing street cars on the line. It said Not in Service.
No, Tempe streetcar is not starting yet. They still ongoing testing. In a couple months later, they will start service sometime in the Fall or late 2021.

Old Posted May 3, 2021, 10:32 PM
METRO: Encanto

With baseball back I have been using the light rail for the first time in over a year. The sections adjacent to the front and the rear of the trains are roped off with a sign saying something about safety. What's up with that?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest