HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Oct 13, 2009, 1:55 AM
Moderator / Supervillain

gotta say, i'm a bit jealous. Charlottetown really seems to have their stuff together when it comes to building up and dense.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2009, 3:06 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by braymondg View Post
More Charlottetown Construction Photos:

Fitzroy Street 8 storey office tower nearing completion.

That is all for now.

I was a little confused by this perspective until I realized that you were shooting up the alleyway behind the Jean Camfield Federal Building. This is an interesting shot, it makes Charlottetown seem pretty dense.

I agree with Myles, the vast majority of new construction in Charlottetown is concentrated in the downtown core which will contribute quite positively to the overall density of the city. Here in Moncton on the other hand, construction is scattered all over the metro area and the downtown so far has benefitted only slightly. Good job Charlottetown!!

BTW, is the whole bypass (including Riverside Drive) being four laned? are they finally going to complete the western portion of the bypass or will it continue to end abruptly at Upton road? Enquiring minds want to know......

Old Posted Oct 13, 2009, 3:19 AM
The good old days are now

I can't see the photos.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2009, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLskyline View Post
I can't see the photos.
The URLs are malformed, but Google Chrome seems to be able to correct them. The problem is that the "\" character is used instead of "/" in image URLs.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2009, 10:54 PM

MTLskyline,

Sorry about the \. I've been too long in the computer business and it extends itself well back into the days of DOS. I'll try to use the / from now on.

MonctonRad,

Yes, that was taken behind the Jean Canfield building. Nice perspective I thought. I just pulled over on Euston St. in front of the new Invesco building and took a quick shot with the cell phone camera.

As for the bypass, it is only being made 4 lanes up to the Malpeque Rd. (Sears Corner) from the St. Peters Rd intersection. It's to bad they won't do the whole thing. Also, Riverside Drive from the Hospital to the bridge is going to be widened, and so is University Ave from the Ch'town Mall corner to the University. I hate it when they do things a piece at a time. I guess it all comes down to money.

Myles,

The development in the center of the city is changing this city in a big way, especially in the last 10 years. I heard that a developer is interested in a 6 storey building at the corner of University and Euston, in front of the Inn on the Hill. This is just rumored however.

Did you have a chance to figure out the map issue and the pixels? Any software you can suggest PC wise that would match the Mac Pixel layout.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2009, 11:11 PM

Charlottetown Spring 2008

Old Posted Oct 13, 2009, 11:14 PM

MonctonRad,

You had asked me sometime ago if the Fitzroy building would be attached to the Queen Parkade and I can tell you that they are. I was in the Parkade last week and I checked to see if there was a connection between the two.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2009, 11:54 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

I'm sorry I haven't been terribly attentive, but I've been sidetracked more than a few times by school and other things in the last few weeks.

Sort answer: Pixels are pixels . You can't have anything but a whole-number of pixels because a display can't show half of one for example. The measurements you've been giving me are likely in cm or inches or something, which i can't work with easily.

The map of the city I've provided has dimensions:
width:2436px
height:2467px

The coordinates i need have to be in pixels in this order:

pixels away from the left-hand side of the image
pixels away from the top of the image.

In other words, for a point to go at the very top-left of the page, the coords should be 0,0. the bottom-right would be 2436,2467. Dead centre would be 1218,1234 (note that you can't have half a pixel so you have to round up or down).

I don't use photoshop or paint shop pro, but I'm positive there is a way you can get it to tell you those coordinates, although they might give them in a different order. some experimenting might be in order.

Also, just out of curiosity, if you could provide me with the coordinates of the centre of the exhibition track the same way you did before, i might be able to figure out how the program you're using is calculating things.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2009, 12:58 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by braymondg View Post
MonctonRad,

Yes, that was taken behind the Jean Canfield building. Nice perspective I thought. I just pulled over on Euston St. in front of the new Invesco building and took a quick shot with the cell phone camera.

As for the bypass, it is only being made 4 lanes up to the Malpeque Rd. (Sears Corner) from the St. Peters Rd intersection. It's to bad they won't do the whole thing. Also, Riverside Drive from the Hospital to the bridge is going to be widened, and so is University Ave from the Ch'town Mall corner to the University. I hate it when they do things a piece at a time. I guess it all comes down to money.

Thanks for the info........

How are they going to deal with that overpass over the bypass highway at Oak Drive, there is no way that overpass structure is long enough to allow for four laning underneath.....

Also, you didn't mention whether they are going to complete the western portion of the bypass, beyond Upton Road. I have variously heard that the bypass could join the existing TCH either on that island in the middle of the North River or continue further west, beyond Cornwall and join the TCH there. Do you have any information?

Finally, I'm really glad they are finally widening University Avenue from UPEI to the Charlottetown Mall. That quite literally should have been done 25-30 years ago.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2009, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Thanks for the info........

How are they going to deal with that overpass over the bypass highway at Oak Drive, there is no way that overpass structure is long enough to allow for four laning underneath.....

Also, you didn't mention whether they are going to complete the western portion of the bypass, beyond Upton Road. I have variously heard that the bypass could join the existing TCH either on that island in the middle of the North River or continue further west, beyond Cornwall and join the TCH there. Do you have any information?

Finally, I'm really glad they are finally widening University Avenue from UPEI to the Charlottetown Mall. That quite literally should have been done 25-30 years ago.
MonctonRad,

The overpass is staying and is to be extended. There was talk to remove it but there was a large outcry from those that use it so the government had to change their decision. It came down to emergency access to the area so they had to take that into consideration.

All the talk of widening the bypass has overtaken extending the bypass.
Talk on the western section of the bypass from Malpeque Rd and around Cornwall has
all but disappeared off the planet. Nothing has been mentioned of it for quite sometime. I'm not sure of the layout but if they were going to use Poplar Island it would be nearly impossible due to the extensive development of the island. I heard that there would be a whole new bridge but this is now questioned if the highway is even going to proceed west to the river. The new Bioscience park ($30 million development)will stand right in the way of the intersection. Since there hasn't been much talk about it lately, I can't say for sure what the route will be. I will be the first to let you know though.

As for widening University, it will surely help that bottleneck of traffic.

The way they do things here with highways is ridiculous. I wish they would hire engineers
from NS or NB to design and build the bypass.
You've heard Paris called "the city of lights". Well, I call Charlottetown "the city of traffic lights". It seems to be the solution when you have two roads meet.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2009, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylesmalley View Post
I'm sorry I haven't been terribly attentive, but I've been sidetracked more than a few times by school and other things in the last few weeks.

Sort answer: Pixels are pixels . You can't have anything but a whole-number of pixels because a display can't show half of one for example. The measurements you've been giving me are likely in cm or inches or something, which i can't work with easily.

The map of the city I've provided has dimensions:
width:2436px
height:2467px

The coordinates i need have to be in pixels in this order:

pixels away from the left-hand side of the image
pixels away from the top of the image.

In other words, for a point to go at the very top-left of the page, the coords should be 0,0. the bottom-right would be 2436,2467. Dead centre would be 1218,1234 (note that you can't have half a pixel so you have to round up or down).

I don't use photoshop or paint shop pro, but I'm positive there is a way you can get it to tell you those coordinates, although they might give them in a different order. some experimenting might be in order.

Also, just out of curiosity, if you could provide me with the coordinates of the centre of the exhibition track the same way you did before, i might be able to figure out how the program you're using is calculating things.

Mylesmalley,

I'll work on it to see if I can find a compatible graphics program over the next few days. I took tomorrow and Friday off so I'll have a look.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2009, 11:17 PM

Mylesmalley,

I just emailed you new coordinates for Ch'town, created with a MAC/PC compatible graphics program.
I think we may have it this time because you can actually select "px" and the "y" coordinate are different than the other programs I've tried.

Give it a try!

Old Posted Oct 16, 2009, 1:55 PM

More Construction Charlottetown,

New photos of a sister complex being build by Hambly Rental Inc. on the east side of Charlottetown. I saw this listed on the Charlottetown City Permit page and thought I would take a look. I didn't realize it was that far along in construction until today. Here are photos of the building underway and it's sister complex that was built 5 years ago.

--------------------

Holland College Progress,

Hard to see but there is one mother of a big hole here.

The houses at the far side of this lot are being torn down today.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2009, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I was a little confused by this perspective until I realized that you were shooting up the alleyway behind the Jean Camfield Federal Building. This is an interesting shot, it makes Charlottetown seem pretty dense.

I agree with Myles, the vast majority of new construction in Charlottetown is concentrated in the downtown core which will contribute quite positively to the overall density of the city. Here in Moncton on the other hand, construction is scattered all over the metro area and the downtown so far has benefitted only slightly. Good job Charlottetown!!

BTW, is the whole bypass (including Riverside Drive) being four laned? are they finally going to complete the western portion of the bypass or will it continue to end abruptly at Upton road? Enquiring minds want to know......
Yep, if only St. John's would follow suit...

Old Posted Nov 8, 2009, 1:21 AM

Charlottetown begins two road construction projects

Charlottetown begins two road construction projects
The Guardian

Crews will begin laying the groundwork next week for two important traffic projects that will make Charlottetown an easier city to get around in.
The first phase of the University Avenue widening project starts Nov. 9 when contractors begin widening the section of University Avenue — between Browns Court and Enman Crescent — from two to four lanes.
“Making this stretch of University Avenue four lanes will certainly improve traffic flow to the downtown by reducing the bottleneck that now occurs,” said Terry Bernard, chair of the city’s Public Works Committee.
“We’re working with the contractors to minimize traffic delays during the construction period.”
For the next six weeks, crews will be placing and compacting fill on the west side of University Ave., moving pedestrians to the west side and infilling work on the east side.
Traffic flow will continue in both directions with small periods of one-way alternating, if it becomes necessary and flaggers will be posted at each end of the section to direct traffic.
They will let the materials “settle” throughout the winter and carry out the majority of the project in 2010.
This project will create dual-lane travel in each direction from Belvedere Avenue to Capital Drive. Crews will not only widen the road, but build turning lanes and make other changes to the existing right-of-way. Upgrades will be made to the University Avenue/Enman Crescent intersection for better left-turning, and sidewalks will be built on the west side of University Avenue from Belvedere Avenue to Enman Crescent. Crews will also review and upgrade traffic control signals at University Avenue and Belvedere and Belvedere and Mount Edward Road.
The city will release a formal design of the 2010 work plan in the spring.
Also beginning Monday, the city will lay the groundwork for a re-design of the intersection of Allen Street at Mt. Edward Road.
This upgrade of underground services will position the city for the intersection redesign which includes the new storm sewer system, sidewalks and street lighting.
The co-operation and understanding of the area businesses, residents and general public is greatly appreciated during these improvements.

It's about time

Old Posted Nov 10, 2009, 8:33 PM

Hi everybody! I'm from Montague and our new Department of Fisheries Building is coming good on Main Street. We also have a new dental clinic and law office going up on the waterfront.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2009, 11:46 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Welcome pei guy, now we have an official Montague and eastern PEI reporter too.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2009, 4:40 AM

On the PEI Government website, if you click on maps, and then use the mapguide tool, and you zoom in to the end of the bypass you can click on a setting that allows you to view the boundaries of the lots. If you follow the bypass across the river you can follow the route of the western bypass all the way past Cornwall to the TCH. It does not work if you have a macbook like myself though. I do believe that the town of Cornwall wants the bypass to go ahead ASAP, but at the time the Dept. of Transportation said that it's top priority was Route 2. I think now, their priority should become the ENTIRE bypass from the TCH past cornwall all of the way to the Hillsbourgh bridge.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2009, 12:31 AM

josh_cat_eyes

I agree! I don't think the problem is money. I've never seen the likes for cash floating around here. I wish they would do it and finish it. By the time they get it done, cars will be obsolete.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2009, 12:32 AM

Motorists could face delays with city construction projects

Motorists could face delays with city construction projects
The Guardian

Motorists can expect delays this week as two major road construction projects are now underway in Charlottetown.
Heavy traffic congestion can be expected for the next month at the Mt. Edward Road/Allen St. intersection and on University Avenue from Enman Crescent South to MacKinnon Road near Brown’s Court.
Motorists can expect tie-ups in both areas.
Mt. Edward Road from Harley to Allen Street will be closed for the day today.
On University Avenue, crews have begun widening the section — between Browns Court and Enman Crescent – from two to four lanes.
“The co-operation and understanding of the area businesses, residents and general public is greatly appreciated during these improvements,” says a city news release.

Last edited by braymondg; Nov 18, 2009 at 12:47 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces