HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Dec 1, 2008, 9:43 PM

Here is a letter from the Canadian Chamber of Commerce. I sure it will be one of many to all of the parties from different interest groups and individuals.

Quote:
To all Federal Party Leaders:

We are writing to you today on behalf of the 175,000 members of the Canadian Chamber of Commerce network.

The current financial crisis is taking a severe toll on all Canadians and despite our many strengths, Canada cannot escape the global downturn. In this regard, we find it disappointing that the discourse since the tabling of the Economic Update has been almost exclusively focused on political gains and posturing.

The Canadian Chamber of Commerce and all Canadians are looking to all elected officials and especially party leaders, to unite their efforts and demonstrate leadership in putting forth a strategy, including a stimulus package, to boost consumer confidence and ensure sustainability of the Canadian economy.

The announcement by Finance Minister Jim Flaherty today outlining the ability for the Government to take emergency measures if Canada’s financial crisis worsens is not enough. Concrete measures must be put in place well in advance of a January 27 budget.

The Board of Directors of the Canadian Chamber will be issuing recommendations to the Government to respond to the critical factors fuelling the financial crisis, such as the access to credit, stock market turbulence and currency fluctuations, upon the conclusion of its meeting on Tuesday, December 2.

It is critical that all parties unite their efforts and focus all of their energies on identifying positive solutions. It is high time to stop playing political games – Canadians deserve no less from their elected officials.

Hon. Perrin Beatty
President and CEO
Canadian Chamber of Commerce

Roger Thomas
Chair, Board of Directors
Canadian Chamber of Commerce

Old Posted Dec 1, 2008, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dundasguy View Post
Google "Rhéal Mathieu". This guy is still likes using violence to get his message across and I don't think he is a big Dion supporter.

If you think that there is no hostility towards Canada in Quebec, please get your head out of the sand.
The Conservatives have their extreme right wingers too - I won't bring them up because it offers nothing to the thread, however.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2008, 5:37 PM

a night at the parliament:

http://neenerneet.net/coalition/

Old Posted Dec 2, 2008, 7:39 PM
Raising the Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeHamilton View Post
Here is a letter from the Canadian Chamber of Commerce. I sure it will be one of many to all of the parties from different interest groups and individuals.

[...]

Quote:
It is critical that all parties unite their efforts and focus all of their energies on identifying positive solutions. It is high time to stop playing political games – Canadians deserve no less from their elected officials.
Well, all but one of the parties have agreed to unite and focus their energies on identifying positive solutions.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2008, 4:19 PM
It's Hammer Time

Coalition cabinet may have city MP: Copps

Daniel Nolan and Emma Reilly
The Hamilton Spectator
(Dec 3, 2008)
http://www.thespec.com/News/CanadaWorld/article/475906

Sheila Copps has been called upon to help advise the Liberal-NDP coalition that may soon topple the Conservative government.

"My advice has been asked and sought and I've been giving it," the former Hamilton East Liberal MP and onetime deputy prime minister said yesterday. "There's a huge political journey between here and government and I've had some advice that I've passed along."

Copps, who sat in the House of Commons for 20 years until 2004, said she was one of many high-ranking Liberals former Liberal prime minister Jean Chretien consulted in creating the coalition with former NDP leader Ed Broadbent.

Copps said she gave advice on the role of the Bloc Quebecois, which was not to have them as partners, but supporters of the coalition. She said she and other Liberals foresaw that the Conservatives would accuse the Liberals and NDP of being in bed with the separatists, but she believes by not formally involving them in the coalition, that issue is not a political sticking point.

"I think the way they've handled it is perfect," she said. "(The Bloc) are not part of the coalition. They are going to be consulted, but they are not going to extract any quid pro quo for separation."

Copps said Hamilton Centre NDP MP David Christopherson is being mentioned in Liberal circles as a potential cabinet member. She said the six NDP cabinet spots are up to NDP Leader Jack Layton, but Christopherson is being talked about because the coalition leaders want cabinet members with previous experience.

Christopherson, who has represented Hamilton Centre since 2004, served in the Bob Rae cabinet in the early 1990s and sat in the Ontario legislature for 13 years.

"I've discussed his name with different people, people who wonder who would the NDP have," Copps said. "The knowledge of government is very important. It's going to be a very delicate parliamentary operation and, even though they have a signed agreement, any small thing can explode. So the experience that David has would be invaluable in a ministry and it would also be great for Hamilton."

Copps said she understands Layton is "going for" industry minister.

Christopherson downplayed talk of his potential role in the coalition cabinet.

"I'm going to pay little or no attention to that, unless I have a reason to," he said. "It would be a very small cabinet in a very big country."

He said the mood in Ottawa is "crazy" and his party's sole focus is removing the Tories. He says it's too early to say who could be tapped for cabinet.

Still, Christopherson said he would consider a cabinet position if asked.

"I always give serious consideration to anything my leader asks of me, but I believe my constituents want to hear that my priority is them, not me."

Copps said "the big issue" remains what Governor General Michaelle Jean will do if Prime Minister Stephen Harper asks her to prorogue Parliament until the end of January. She said Jean may not go along with that, but she hears bureaucrats in the Privy Council Office are supporting that move, arguing the coalition does not have a Western Canada element "and is not representative enough."

Copps said that would remedied through cabinet postings.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2008, 3:39 PM

Sorry but i've got a feeling if the coalition takes over Hamilton will be left out of cabinet.

NDP Cabinet Ministers will be:

Jack Layton, Thomas Mulcair, Linda Duncan, Someone from Northern Ontario (where they made a huge breakthrough) , Someone from Atlantic Canada (strong NDP support, i'd bet Jack Harris from NFLD), and Someone from BC (another strong NDP area).

http://forwardhamilton.blogspot.com/

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy