HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Nov 8, 2020, 5:04 PM
devout Pizzatarian

* posts deleted *

National political discussion is not allowed here. Local stuff only.

If you have something to say about trump or biden or national issues, take it to the CE forum.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2020, 5:52 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Would it be possible for the State to force a shrinkage of Chicago’s City Council?
Yes, per the Constitution the sovereign power rests with states who may delegate power to cities or withdraw it at any point. Illinois affords Chicago significant latitude as a home-rule municipality but that can certainly be taken away if the will existed in Springfield.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 3:55 PM
Vote for me for Mayor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
That'll never happen. The other three are theoretically possible. I don't think 50 wards in the city is inherently a problem, although it wouldn't hurt to merge wards. It's the authority Alderman have. It'll get political regardless of who holds the hammer, but a lot of planning/zoning/permitting power should stay with City Hall and the relevant departments.
This is exactly why 50 alderman is a problem

Old Posted Nov 19, 2020, 11:14 PM

https://twitter.com/andrewpellison/s...062178817?s=21

Could this be the end of Madigan?

Old Posted Nov 19, 2020, 11:24 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeshoredrive View Post
Dear GOD I hope so!!

Old Posted Nov 19, 2020, 11:58 PM
The City

Yes!

Madigan is pure evil. Get rid of that bastard

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Dec 7, 2020, 5:50 PM

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/gove...-will-cost-you

So, as someone who has been on the fence between going digital nomad abroad after this is done, or maybe moving to Chicago to work remotely for my company (and future jobs), I find this news to be pretty disturbing.

At what point is the city going to realize they can't keep raising taxes on everyone to fill a hole caused by a subset of the population (speaking of pension problems)? If this tax hike was going to help fill a hole caused by covid, along with projects and initiatives to that benefited the entire city, I would be ok with it.

Also, the automatic raises tied to inflation is also disturbing to see just fly through the city council. This essentially means that even if consumer prices around the country go up, while real estate in Chicago stays stagnant, one's taxes here will still go up.

I really hope the city realizes that every time something like this occurs, more people are pushed off a fence of either staying in Chicago, or moving to Chicago. Same goes for business owners who might have been on the margin as it is.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2020, 8:12 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister244 View Post
https://www.chicagobusiness.com/gove...-will-cost-you

So, as someone who has been on the fence between going digital nomad abroad after this is done, or maybe moving to Chicago to work remotely for my company (and future jobs), I find this news to be pretty disturbing.

At what point is the city going to realize they can't keep raising taxes on everyone to fill a hole caused by a subset of the population (speaking of pension problems)? If this tax hike was going to help fill a hole caused by covid, along with projects and initiatives to that benefited the entire city, I would be ok with it.

Also, the automatic raises tied to inflation is also disturbing to see just fly through the city council. This essentially means that even if consumer prices around the country go up, while real estate in Chicago stays stagnant, one's taxes here will still go up.

I really hope the city realizes that every time something like this occurs, more people are pushed off a fence of either staying in Chicago, or moving to Chicago. Same goes for business owners who might have been on the margin as it is.
^ There is no such thing as elected officials "realizing" things.

That's not how they work

Old Posted Dec 31, 2020, 12:33 AM

Has this always been a shared cost? If so, that is insane.

https://blockclubchicago.org/2020/12...ram-on-jan-11/

Old Posted Dec 31, 2020, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCorsair87 View Post
Has this always been a shared cost? If so, that is insane.

https://blockclubchicago.org/2020/12...ram-on-jan-11/
Yes, not just Chicago, most municipalities charge property owners for sidewalk repair. A 50/50 split is standard. I remember ppl eschewing corner lots for this reason.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2021, 6:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpIllInoIs View Post
Yes, not just Chicago, most municipalities charge property owners for sidewalk repair. A 50/50 split is standard. I remember ppl eschewing corner lots for this reason.
I ripped out an entire corner of sidewalk a few years ago because it was literally dissolving and heaving. City didn't pay a dime, but I couldn't take the liability resulting from it becoming an ice life every time it precipitates anywhere near the freezing point.

Honestly the city dumping off public infrastructure on private tax paying property owners is one of the biggest signs of the decline of American society. What is the point of government if they tax you only to pay pensions for people who are supposed to be building the things your taxes are supposed to be funding? Government seems determined to play less and less of a productive role in American society and act more and more as a redistribution device for funneling money to deadbeats who voted for you and corporations who funded your ads to brainwash said deadbeats.

Heaven forbid you do something like replace lead pipes when you can virtue signal about national politics and downzone random properties in your ward.

Reddit.com/r/REbubble

Old Posted Jan 2, 2021, 9:02 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
I ripped out an entire corner of sidewalk a few years ago because it was literally dissolving and heaving. City didn't pay a dime, but I couldn't take the liability resulting from it becoming an ice life every time it precipitates anywhere near the freezing point.

Honestly the city dumping off public infrastructure on private tax paying property owners is one of the biggest signs of the decline of American society. What is the point of government if they tax you only to pay pensions for people who are supposed to be building the things your taxes are supposed to be funding? Government seems determined to play less and less of a productive role in American society and act more and more as a redistribution device for funneling money to deadbeats who voted for you and corporations who funded your ads to brainwash said deadbeats.

Heaven forbid you do something like replace lead pipes when you can virtue signal about national politics and downzone random properties in your ward.
Haven’t you learned long enough ago that this forum is not the place to make sensible points like this one?

Old Posted Jan 11, 2021, 6:35 PM
Plenary pleasures.

I've never been so happy to write something related to politics, but:

Mike Madigan will not be Speaker of the Illinois House:

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-w...pends-campaign

Old Posted Jan 11, 2021, 7:42 PM

Truly goods news for all of us.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2021, 8:51 PM

What are some tangible benefits we might see over the next 5 years or so from him resigning? Like is there anything public about him being a major impediment to any big time legislation that might go towards solving the state's dire financial situation? Or is it more symbolic of the machine breaking down?

Old Posted Jan 11, 2021, 9:20 PM

Time Magazine

Reddit.com/r/REbubble

Old Posted Jan 12, 2021, 4:33 PM

I'm assuming he'll be reappointed when no one else can get to 60 votes.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2021, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
I'm assuming he'll be reappointed when no one else can get to 60 votes.
Yep. . .

. . .

Old Posted Jan 12, 2021, 9:46 PM

https://chicago.suntimes.com/city-ha...ot-impeachment

Massive Trump Tower sign along Chicago River must come down, alderman says
Ald. Gilbert Villegas plans to introduce an ordinance forcing the removal of the 2,891-square-foot sign on the 96-story Trump International Hotel & Tower if Trump is convicted of “treason, sedition or subversive activities.”

By Fran Spielman Jan 12, 2021, 11:58am CST

"The 2,891-square-foot sign Donald Trump slapped on his 96-story Trump International Hotel & Tower in Chicago would have to come down, if an influential alderman has his way.

Ald. Gilbert Villegas (36th), Mayor Lori Lightfoot’s City Council floor leader, plans to introduce an ordinance at the Jan. 27 City Council meeting that would force the issue seven years after the vanity sign along Chicago’s riverfront touched off a clash of giant egos with then-Mayor Rahm Emanuel."

Old Posted Jan 12, 2021, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
https://chicago.suntimes.com/city-ha...ot-impeachment

Massive Trump Tower sign along Chicago River must come down, alderman says
Ald. Gilbert Villegas plans to introduce an ordinance forcing the removal of the 2,891-square-foot sign on the 96-story Trump International Hotel & Tower if Trump is convicted of “treason, sedition or subversive activities.”

By Fran Spielman Jan 12, 2021, 11:58am CST

"The 2,891-square-foot sign Donald Trump slapped on his 96-story Trump International Hotel & Tower in Chicago would have to come down, if an influential alderman has his way.

Ald. Gilbert Villegas (36th), Mayor Lori Lightfoot’s City Council floor leader, plans to introduce an ordinance at the Jan. 27 City Council meeting that would force the issue seven years after the vanity sign along Chicago’s riverfront touched off a clash of giant egos with then-Mayor Rahm Emanuel."
been waiting for this one. years too late but I just hope they let us know in advance. I want to cheer it on as those letters come crumbling down out of prominence in our great city.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest