yay! we all lose either way.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 3:16 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
two horrible fucking candidates.

yay! we all lose either way.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2018, 2:31 PM

Crain's endorsed Pritzker this AM. I get the sense that Pritzker has POTUS ambitions. Wasn't my first choice, but hope he does well as Governor.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2018, 12:50 AM
BANNED

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...004-story.html

Bill Daley, Gery Chico quickly crank up fundraising in Chicago mayor race

Daley, the son and brother of two former Chicago mayors, has raised more than $885,000 since Sept. 19 — including $500,000 of his own money and the rest from a handful of donors. On Thursday, Daley reported raising more than $235,000, enough to catapult him past fellow challengers Garry McCarthy, Lori Lightfoot and Willie Wilson in the total amount of money raised in the race, records show.

Also on Thursday, Chico reported raising $519,000 from 87 different donors. The total includes $29,000 that Chico contributed to his own campaign.

Executives with Madison Dearborn, a Chicago-based private equity firm, have long been top financial backers of Emanuel.

In fact, Finnegan gave Emanuel $200,000 in June. The firm’s other co-CEO, Sam Mencoff, gave Emanuel $305,000 at the same time. After the mayor announced he would not seek a third term, he told the Tribune he would be returning political contributions to his supporters, although some donors are unlikely to get back their full contributions since Emanuel already had spent some of the more than $10 million he had raised toward a third term.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 2:37 PM

Rahm has almost no shot at becoming the Democratic candidate for President. My bet is it will be Corey Booker, or possibly Elizabeth Warren (which I hope not, because she has absolutely no charisma). Beyond those two, I'd say Gavin Newsom has a much better shot than Rahm Emanuel. But maybe he could slip in as a VP candidate.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 2:48 PM

We should back away from the "_______________ has no chance at being POTUS" considering who holds the office now. $$$ talks, especially in politics.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 2:51 PM

I doubt Rahm wants to be President.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 3:46 PM
The City

^ Yeah really.

If Rahm burned out as Mayor of Chicago, I imagine he's not itching to weather the monumental shitstorm that is the run for, as well as the performing the duties of, POTUS.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 5:34 PM

Great article. I'm really going to miss Rahm. We still don't have any great option for Mayor.

Emanuel, Chicago's underappreciated reformer

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/opin...iated-reformer

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
I doubt Rahm wants to be President.
Lol, you've obviously never read about the Emanuels, there are three brothers and they all want to take over their world:

Ari (who is the model for Ari Gold from Entorage) founded Endeavor Talent Agency and became the biggest mover and shaker in hollywood ultimately buying the biggest name in the industry, William Morris. He now is co-CEO of the biggest talent agency in the world and also is an influential member of Livenation's board of directors.

Zeke is a doctor, author, and bioethecist who has taught at Harvard and holds multiple prestigious positions at Wharton University of Pennsylvania. He also is senior fellow at the Center for American Progress (founded by John Podesta of Clinton fame).

Then there is Rahm who started his career as an investment banker, made a quick $25 mil, worked as the National Campaign Director for the DNC, became an advisor to the Cinton Whitehouse, then won four straight elections as House Rep, then left that position to become Chief of Staff to the president where he basically drove the GOP up the wall for two years leaving that post to become two time Mayor of Chicago...

Yeah I'm sure THAT guy, at age 58, has no further ambitions or political aspirations. He's probably got a nice fishing shack up in Wisconsin he's going to retire to and spend the next 30 +/-10 years relaxing on the dock...

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ Yeah really.

If Rahm burned out as Mayor of Chicago, I imagine he's not itching to weather the monumental shitstorm that is the run for, as well as the performing the duties of, POTUS.
Do you really think Rahm is "worn out" by politics dude? This guy relishes a fight, he is probably salivating over the idea of ripping Trump to bits on the national stage. I mean this is a man who once sent a dead fish to a pollster that fucked him over. He is not "worn out", the man fucking loves his job, it's obvious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgolch View Post
Rahm has almost no shot at becoming the Democratic candidate for President. My bet is it will be Corey Booker, or possibly Elizabeth Warren (which I hope not, because she has absolutely no charisma). Beyond those two, I'd say Gavin Newsom has a much better shot than Rahm Emanuel. But maybe he could slip in as a VP candidate.
Why not? He's the most centrist candidate with the most experience. Corey Booker is a baby compared to Rahm who has been operating at the highest levels of politics since the 1980's. And we all know how the DNC works, if you don't think Rahm knows how to pull the levers on a Democratic presidential primary you are crazy. A Warren type would just be "Bearnied" out of the picture with Superdelagates by someone like Rahm. Again:

-Worked as National Campaign Chair at the DNC in the 1980s
-Advisor to the Clinton White House in the 1990's
-4 term house representative in the 90's and 2000's
-Chief of Staff to Obama during Obamacare
-Mayor of Chicago for 2 terms

And what? Booker was mayor of F-ing Newark for a while and has one a single senate race, oh yeah, he's qualified... I'm sure Booker will just brush that weakling Rahm aside like it's nothing...

Old Posted Oct 11, 2018, 11:12 PM

Trump vs. Rahm in a debate would be really entertaining but also cringe-worthy. They are both a little bit more similar with respect to personality at times than many people realize.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 12:07 AM

As someone said in another thread: It will be the first presidential debate in which an F-bomb is dropped, and it probably won't be just one.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post

Why not? He's the most centrist candidate with the most experience. Corey Booker is a baby compared to Rahm who has been operating at the highest levels of politics since the 1980's. And we all know how the DNC works, if you don't think Rahm knows how to pull the levers on a Democratic presidential primary you are crazy. A Warren type would just be "Bearnied" out of the picture with Superdelagates by someone like Rahm. Again:

-Worked as National Campaign Chair at the DNC in the 1980s
-Advisor to the Clinton White House in the 1990's
-4 term house representative in the 90's and 2000's
-Chief of Staff to Obama during Obamacare
-Mayor of Chicago for 2 terms

And what? Booker was mayor of F-ing Newark for a while and has one a single senate race, oh yeah, he's qualified... I'm sure Booker will just brush that weakling Rahm aside like it's nothing...
Because people obviously could care less about political experience. It's come down to a popularity contest. Rahm's aggressive, asskicking style won't appeal to a lot democrats. What's more, they will hammer on him for his apparent inability to solve the Chicago homicides issue, and the whole Laquan McDonald thing will be an anchor on his aspirations. At this point, Oprah would be the most successful democratic challenger. Again, her lack of political experience doesn't mean squat. But she has celebrity pull, and an appealing personality. And Cory Booker? Probably more appeal to most Democratic voters than Rahm.

Not saying I agree with it. But given the fact that we elected a total ninkompoop the last election, I have no faith in the American's people to elect a truly qualified candidate.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
As someone said in another thread: It will be the first presidential debate in which an F-bomb is dropped, and it probably won't be just one.
Honestly, I would pay a few hundred dollars just to be in the audience for it. Rahm definitely knows how to bring it too.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2018, 2:14 PM

There are new super delegate rules thanks to what happened to Bernie. The last thing most of the young democrats wants is another old dem insider. I just do not see it working out for him. And i am actually a Rahm fan, he may not always do right but he gets stuff done. Whoever the dems pick, it better be someone who is ready to slug it out with Trump and aggressively call him on any of his BS. Who knows though, looks like there are 20 people at least who think they have a shot at the dem nomination, they better be careful not to destroy each other before the real fight.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2018, 8:18 PM
Plenary pleasures.

At least having a plan of attack is half the battle, something that Rauner was seemingly loathe to do. During his entire tenure:

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/greg...t-first-budget

I'm very much for Marijuana legalization, so...

Old Posted Nov 9, 2018, 10:00 PM

^I'm excited. Will be nice to have Illinois in the news for something other than financial crisis or population loss.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2018, 11:07 PM

I so want legal weed and a major capital program for transit. Give cities the legal ability to implement congestion pricing and camera enforcement for busses also. Raise the gas tax in phases then float make it automatically indexed to inflation.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2018, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1052 View Post
I so want legal weed and a major capital program for transit. Give cities the legal ability to implement congestion pricing and camera enforcement for busses also. Raise the gas tax in phases then float make it automatically indexed to inflation.
Yes, agreed. It would be nice to have a major capital program for transit. Fingers crossed.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2018, 6:53 PM
devout Pizzatarian

the winnowing has begun.

Quote:
Principals association president Troy LaRaviere drops out of Chicago mayor's race
Bill Ruthhart
Chicago Tribune

Chicago principals association president Troy LaRaviere has ended his campaign for Chicago mayor, saying he has been unable to collect enough signatures to appear on the ballot.

LaRaviere was one of the earliest candidates to enter the race, launching his bid in the fall of 2017 long before Mayor Rahm Emanuel made the surprise announcement he would drop his bid for a third term.

In a statement released Tuesday afternoon, LaRaviere said his campaign would not have enough signatures to appear on the ballot and withstand challenges from other candidates.
full article: https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...113-story.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest