HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Apr 21, 2022, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsoc View Post
Announced in the TJ this morning ... the 2022 Memorial Cup organizing committee will be building a permanent ball hockey arena next to the skateboard park. I would assume the small parking lots that are currently there will become non-existent. The construction is expected to cost upwards of $550,000 and $6-$8,000 to operate annually.
Interesting! Will it be an outdoor ball hockey rink? I can't imagine it will be an indoor for that price.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2022, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgeoftea View Post
Interesting! Will it be an outdoor ball hockey rink? I can't imagine it will be an indoor for that price.
Yes, it's under the overpass beside the skate park. In the PAC agenda this week. 8-10 parking spots will remain.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2022, 10:11 PM

Closer to construction ?

[IMG][/IMG]

Old Posted Apr 26, 2022, 10:22 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnguys View Post
[IMG][/IMG]
A combination of that and the first cruise ship docking this Friday so I suspect they want to make it look better.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2022, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColSJ View Post
A combination of that and the first cruise ship docking this Friday so I suspect they want to make it look better.
Petition to do this for 99 King? LOL

Old Posted Apr 27, 2022, 1:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgeoftea View Post
Petition to do this for 99 King? LOL
Yeah if there's no construction this year it would be egregious to leave the corner of King/Charlotte blocked to pedestrians. Put in a real fence around the hole.

I wonder when/if the Murder Hill/222 Water fence will go away. It's just a slope, not sure why it's still barricaded.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2022, 2:47 PM

Smile

Imagine a future marketing campaign: “live your life at Murder Hill condos”

Old Posted Apr 27, 2022, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Imagine a future marketing campaign: “live your life at Murder Hill condos”
Honestly, names like Murder Hill and Tin Can Beach are cool. Way better than 'Ocean View Suites' or 'Harbourfront Residences' or something. Gritty Victorian-style character!

Old Posted Apr 28, 2022, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamuptownsj View Post
Honestly, names like Murder Hill and Tin Can Beach are cool. Way better than 'Ocean View Suites' or 'Harbourfront Residences' or something. Gritty Victorian-style character!
Apparently named murder hill because it was murder on car engines back in the time of Model T’s

Old Posted Apr 28, 2022, 2:16 AM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Always, always take unique names like that. Beats having every development be named SOHO or Tribeca.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2022, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Always, always take unique names like that. Beats having every development be named SOHO or Tribeca.
But they are so trendy

NOUN
SODU

Old Posted Apr 28, 2022, 12:26 PM

More developers should look at old Loyalist landowner names, topographical names, long-gone street/pier/wharf names, etc. for inspiration. 'The Landmark' and 'The Atlantic' are awfully dull. 'The Telegraph' 'Brunswick House' and even '99 King' are better. 'Golden Ball', and any of the SFH-or-more [Surname] Residence, are good.

If that stupid commission they set up suggests renaming streets associated with the British monarchy (or Loyalist history) I'll flip my wig, and I don't care one iota what form the Canadian head of state takes. Let's have fewer Common Noun Avenues.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2022, 1:18 PM

Quote:
Apparently named murder hill because it was murder on car engines back in the time of Model T’s
Whatever they do in naming things, I think the above should be celebrated and remembered. The city is one of the most historic in Canada and I certainly hope they don't rename everything to erase this.

As for Murder Hill, if this is a true story then this is something we should have on a plaque somewhere. Imagine walking around the city and seeing plaques like this describing where local names came from and why. I love the idea that it was called Murder Hill because Model T's couldn't make it up it. That is a piece of our history we should preserve and I'm sure locals and visitors would find those stories to be fascinating!

That being said, even some of the more insensitive names should be remembered and explained. For example, we view Indian Town as being insensitive today, but that wasn't the case 200+ years ago. So while we should correct this, we should also have a plaque explaining what it was originally called, what the original settlers would have believed in naming it that, and why it was changed today. I'm sure there is a story there we should remember while also recognizing the need to change it. Not explaining the full history doesn't teach people why things were changed and the importance of history being an ever-evolving story of different people and cultural norms. What we feel is acceptable today will likely be different 200 years from now.

So, I hope this "commission" isn't going to simply white-wash the city with a bunch of new names and erase the city's history for what they think is cool or less insensitive without preserving the history and context. Otherwise it isn't of much value.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2022, 5:00 PM

Wellington looks good on best skyline in NB!

[IMG] [/IMG]

Last edited by cdnguys; Apr 29, 2022 at 5:13 PM.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2022, 6:35 PM

Quote:
[IMG] [/IMG]
It's brilliant to see! Excited to see what they put in the spots on the ground floor. If it will be shops/restaurant etc.

Old Posted May 2, 2022, 2:55 PM

The owner of 66 Sydney St (corner of Sydney and Princess beside St. Mac’s) is trying to remove their property from heritage designation. This would set a horrible precedent in my opinion that folks can opt out this weakening heritage conservation. There is a public hearing May 16th. If you are also concerned, please email commonclerk@saintjohn.ca to express opposition. (Or I guess you could express support if you feel otherwise).

Old Posted May 2, 2022, 3:08 PM

Does anyone know the status of 166 Leinster? If I remember correctly construction was supposed to begin in April.

Old Posted May 2, 2022, 4:41 PM

Quote:
The owner of 66 Sydney St (corner of Sydney and Princess beside St. Mac’s) is trying to remove their property from heritage designation. This would set a horrible precedent in my opinion that folks can opt out this weakening heritage conservation. There is a public hearing May 16th. If you are also concerned, please email commonclerk@saintjohn.ca to express opposition. (Or I guess you could express support if you feel otherwise).
IIRC heritage board voted unanimously to recommend council reject this, as it did a similar Princess St application last fall.

The common thread between both of these is 'I will be a good heritage steward and don't need bylaws to enforce that' which, whether true or not, is not justification.

There were pretty substantial plans published in board minutes regarding adding a couple additions to this property a year or two ago which haven't materialized, despite being approved. It's a shame that never panned out.

Old Posted May 2, 2022, 7:31 PM

Quote:
IIRC heritage board voted unanimously to recommend council reject this, as it did a similar Princess St application last fall.

The common thread between both of these is 'I will be a good heritage steward and don't need bylaws to enforce that' which, whether true or not, is not justification.

There were pretty substantial plans published in board minutes regarding adding a couple additions to this property a year or two ago which haven't materialized, despite being approved. It's a shame that never panned out.
His project was to be carried out over 3 years. The final phase was supposed to be this year. Not one ever started. I believe this is his second attempt to remove one of his propertities from the heritage conservation area.

Old Posted May 4, 2022, 11:04 AM

I figure this thread is as good a place to put this ... but the 2022 Memorial Cup Event details have been released with the majority of the events being focused in the Uptown core.

https://chlmemorialcup.ca/event-deta...r1TlwYsGqOkIEw

The events kick off on June 18 and run to June 29.

Some high traffic streets will be closed to cars including Prince William, Germain and Canterbury to allow for pedestrian only foot-traffic.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces