HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jan 17, 2022, 2:26 AM

Saint John looks like it does "traditional influenced" new builds a lot better than Halifax - the Irving HQ comes to mind as well.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2022, 3:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post
Saint John looks like it does "traditional influenced" new builds a lot better than Halifax - the Irving HQ comes to mind as well.
The Irving HQ, The Wentworth and The Telegraph are good examples. 99 King is another (albeit controversial) 'traditionally influenced' development along with Steepleview and The Wellington. The Skyline and The Atlantic are fine in terms of scale, urbanism etc, but the materials are terrible.
Steepleview

99 King

The Wellington

Last edited by NewIreland; Jan 17, 2022 at 3:18 AM.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2022, 3:58 PM

Lordon clothing store will be the occupant of the street level of The Telegraph

Old Posted Jan 17, 2022, 4:03 PM
ハルウララ

Telegraph and Wentworth both look like they turned out pretty well.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2022, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnguys View Post
Lordon clothing store will be the occupant of the street level of The Telegraph
Does anyone know if the street level will only have one tenant? It looks like a large footprint for a single boutique. It's a nice store but only a very small segment of the population will ever enter its doors (realistically). I was hoping for something more useful to a larger demographic - not a clothing store whose doors will be closed/lights out by 5-6pm. It's great to land a retail tenant but I find this one a little disappointing for such a prominent location IMHO, sorry not sorry

Old Posted Jan 17, 2022, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabien View Post
Does anyone know if the street level will only have one tenant? It looks like a large footprint for a single boutique. It's a nice store but only a very small segment of the population will ever enter its doors (realistically). I was hoping for something more useful to a larger demographic - not a clothing store whose doors will be closed/lights out by 5-6pm. It's great to land a retail tenant but I find this one a little disappointing for such a prominent location IMHO, sorry not sorry
The footprint looks deceiving - looks huge, but if you recall the parking area of car park it was very cramped. (Plus you have space for tenant entry). From the side where you can look in, it does not appear the space is broken up. Not sure if I have much opinion on the tenant. I’m happy the developer has one right from the start and a high end boutique may give some cred to the block and start maybe bring back the Q block the first block of Germain was once known for. Apartments, Paddington Station, Thandi and Whiskey Bar kinda higher end it seems. Excited to see what goes in the renovated Canterbury building.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2022, 9:38 PM

Those are all good points. I’m speaking from a more selfish/personal perspective. I’m always hoping for new restaurant options in the uptown. The Keg was rumoured a few years ago - that would be a good addition. That mid/high end clothing boutique is good too, it just isn’t something that will have anywhere close to the same sort of traffic as a good restaurant. Not to mention a restaurant would be open into the evening. Anyhow, I must have patience.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2022, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Those are all good points. I’m speaking from a more selfish/personal perspective. I’m always hoping for new restaurant options in the uptown. The Keg was rumoured a few years ago - that would be a good addition. That mid/high end clothing boutique is good too, it just isn’t something that will have anywhere close to the same sort of traffic as a good restaurant. Not to mention a restaurant would be open into the evening. Anyhow, I must have patience.
I feel like The Keg would be the perfect tenant for phase 1 of Fundy Quay. Like that high end feel of Gahan at Rogers centre in Halifax

Old Posted Jan 17, 2022, 11:06 PM
ハルウララ

Would rather see more local options than national chains, IMO.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2022, 3:40 AM

Nobody's opening a restaurant other than fast food and quick service right now. It would be suicidal.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2022, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
I agree about having more local restaurants as an option. However, it seems like everyone I talk too is desperate for "The Keg" to come.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2022, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Agreed ! SJ does have chains but not to the extent of Moncton. For me makes a better restaurant scene. Ale House and Port City Royal immediately come to mind regards to local chefs. Who knows maybe we could be the next Portland, ME for the restaurant scene

Old Posted Jan 18, 2022, 12:53 PM

SJ already has the best food scene in NB. Interesting you mention Portland. I see SJ as being very similar to Portland, perhaps just a couple decades behind. Both were old working class cities on a peninsula. SJ is starting the transformation that Portland went through.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2022, 12:55 PM

Huddle article indicates Lordon will occupy “one of the spaces at The Telegraph - so maybe something else will go in there

Old Posted Jan 18, 2022, 1:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
SJ already has the best food scene in NB. Interesting you mention Portland. I see SJ as being very similar to Portland, perhaps just a couple decades behind. Both were old working class cities on a peninsula. SJ is starting the transformation that Portland went through.
The nice thing about Saint John is the variety of places. Yes there is a number of "pub style" options. Cask, Britts, Ale House etc but they are diverse enough from each other, that you're not getting the exact same thing in a different room.

I do wish that Taste Of Egypt had not left uptown though.

Saint John is also lucky to not fall down the multitude of faux Italian restaurants. When I visited Quebec City in the fall, I was shocked at how many faux Italian restaurants. I expected more French inspired cuisine places.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2022, 1:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgeoftea View Post
The nice thing about Saint John is the variety of places. Yes there is a number of "pub style" options. Cask, Britts, Ale House etc but they are diverse enough from each other, that you're not getting the exact same thing in a different room.

I do wish that Taste Of Egypt had not left uptown though.

Saint John is also lucky to not fall down the multitude of faux Italian restaurants. When I visited Quebec City in the fall, I was shocked at how many faux Italian restaurants. I expected more French inspired cuisine places.
I'd love a good red sauce joint. They have a place in the world. Hell, I'd like a nice French place too.

On the subject of chains uptown, I'm genuinely surprised we don't have a McDonalds on King. Same with Deluxe- no greasy fish and chips anywhere. Both should have explored relocating out of the mall onto the street. Not that I particularly care for either, just a gap in the market.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2022, 1:23 PM

Same thing happened here in Fredericton – McDonald's vacated King's Place and left downtown altogether. It was always super busy so I have no doubt a street-facing downtown location would be successful.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2022, 2:37 PM

"For a city that's on the ocean, why are there so few seafood restaurants?" My son's girlfriend moved here from Vietnam last year and asked us that question. I guess she figured that in a harbour town seafood would be much more prominent. It seems that Grannan's, Billy's and Steamers are the only ones that are really dedicated seafood restaurants while others only offer a few options. Maybe that's enough in this market or, maybe a couple more [less expensive] options would do well in the uptown.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2022, 3:26 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
"For a city that's on the ocean, why are there so few seafood restaurants?" My son's girlfriend moved here from Vietnam last year and asked us that question. I guess she figured that in a harbour town seafood would be much more prominent. It seems that Grannan's, Billy's and Steamers are the only ones that are really dedicated seafood restaurants while others only offer a few options. Maybe that's enough in this market or, maybe a couple more [less expensive] options would do well in the uptown.
There are plenty of seafood options, really. Places like Deluxe offer seafood options, as do a plethora of smaller and local places.

I chatted with a friend of mine recently about American fast food chains moving to East Asia and how their menus are, frankly, pretty incredible compared to what we get here. The reasoning is that for places like KFC or MacDonald's to compete in East Asia they're going up against incredibly cheap street vendors and very good local food options. You have to really want fast food to select those places over the local places. It works the same way in Saint John and NB for seafood...if I want good seafood then i'll go to Comeau's or any local greasy spoon, really, or i'll buy scallops out of the back of the pickup at Shell. There's options if you look hard enough.

I guess i'll add that sushi has seen a very good increase in the Maritimes in the past decade or so.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2022, 4:20 PM

Quote:
There are plenty of seafood options, really. Places like Deluxe offer seafood options, as do a plethora of smaller and local places.

I chatted with a friend of mine recently about American fast food chains moving to East Asia and how their menus are, frankly, pretty incredible compared to what we get here. The reasoning is that for places like KFC or MacDonald's to compete in East Asia they're going up against incredibly cheap street vendors and very good local food options. You have to really want fast food to select those places over the local places. It works the same way in Saint John and NB for seafood...if I want good seafood then i'll go to Comeau's or any local greasy spoon, really, or i'll buy scallops out of the back of the pickup at Shell. There's options if you look hard enough.

I guess i'll add that sushi has seen a very good increase in the Maritimes in the past decade or so.
A really good take on the lack of heavily waited Seafood menu's and restaurants.

Similar to the scallops out of the back of a truck. We had some friends that bought a 100 pack of Oysters for fairly cheap and had a big Oyster and appies night. It's so accessible outside of the restaurants that the restaurants almost don't need to cater to it.

I think if Saint John was labelled the Oyster / Lobster / Jumbo Prawn capital of the world or Canada. Restaurants would try to capitalize on it more. And in a way I'm glad that we don't have tacky prawn figurines outside 6 different restaurants, or buildings with giant plastic lobsters on top, selling the exact menu from the exact fishermen.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces