HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

Old Posted Mar 5, 2014, 10:52 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRebel View Post
So this rendering from WSJ isn't accurate right? Because the towers on the right looks extremely shorter than the renderings that were floating around last year.

This is what's working it's way through the approvals process...

Quote:
Some new graphics...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2014, 10:56 PM
New Yorker for life

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2014/03/...redevelopment/

‘How Sweet It Is’: City Planning Commission Signs Off On Domino Sugar Plant Redevelopment

March 5, 2014

Quote:
The deal to turn the old Domino Sugar plant on Williamsburg’s waterfront into gleaming apartment towers, offices and open space is moving ahead.

As WCBS 880′s Alex Silverman reported, the relic of the city’s industrial past is crumbling on Brooklyn’s now-invaluable waterfront.

“This is an impressive achievement,” City Planning Commission Chair Carl Weisbrod said. “An economically healthy, mixed-income neighborhood of the future.”

The commission signed off on the new administration’s first big development deal. The de Blasio administration got more affordable housing units added to the final deal.

“We’re elated that we came to a solution,” said Dave Lombino with the developer, Two Trees Management Co. “How sweet it is.”

Outside, workers demanded that Two Trees use only union labor to transform the 2.9 million square foot sugar refinery.

“We have families and we love what we do so we want to keep it that way,” protester Tammy Rivera told Silverman.

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...ars-key-hurdle

Joe Anuta
March 5, 2014

Quote:
The City Planning Commission unanimously approved the application for Two Trees Management Co.'s 2.9 million-square-foot Domino Sugar project on the Williamsburg waterfront Wednesday morning. The decision came less than 48 hours days after Mayor Bill de Blasio announced an accord with the developer over the city's insistence on additional affordable housing.

"We want to encourage development with bold designs and great site plans like Domino," newly appointed City Planning Commissioner Carl Weisbrod said at Wednesday's hearing. "We know this increases the value of development, and we also want to ensure that the public can share in the increased value through the provision of affordable housing."

...Commissioner Irwin Cantor described the horse trading with Two Trees as "long, arduous and sometimes tense," but asserted that the city has a right to negotiate for expanded or modified development rights.

"If you want zoning from us, find a way to contribute to the city," he said. "We're not asking for hard dollars, we're asking for concrete, steel, bedrooms, living rooms (and) kitchens."

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Mar 5, 2014 at 11:51 PM.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2014, 1:15 AM

Words cannot express how happy I am with Bill de Blasio and this proposal.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2014, 1:51 AM

What a magnificent design of old and new. Yes, I too echo the sentiments that it's one chute preservation short of absolute perfection but this is definitely a plan like no other.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2014, 2:39 AM
BANNED

Quote:
500,000 square feet of office space

This is really exciting. Who takes up these kind of office space(s)? I've heard tech start-ups or something like that but I'm not sure

Also it said it would hold 3000-4000 workers for the office space alone?? How many subway lines are around that area?

Old Posted Mar 6, 2014, 2:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eveningsong View Post

This is really exciting. Who takes up these kind of office space(s)? I've heard tech start-ups or something like that but I'm not sure

Also it said it would hold 3000-4000 workers for the office space alone?? How many subway lines are around that area?
The Bedford stop on the L? It's gonna be even more packed!

Old Posted Mar 6, 2014, 2:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIA View Post
The Bedford stop on the L? It's gonna be even more packed!
This isn't that close to the Bedford L station.

I assume most residents would take the J or Z trains.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2014, 7:54 AM

I was curious so I opened google maps and entered a bunch of major employment destinations from the domino sugar site using transit. The J M L all took turns as the fastest route depending on the destination. I discovered by accident that the biggest factor is the time time of day. The J and M were usually preferred during weekday mornings and afternoons while the L came up frequently for trips beginning after 6pm.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2014, 8:05 AM

Just thought of something else. There is 480,000 sqft of office space planned and 110,000 sqft in retail. That's probably going to equate to between 2,000 to 3,000 workers.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2014, 1:54 PM

Where are you guys reading that there will be office space?

Old Posted Mar 6, 2014, 2:09 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Page 8 post #142

Old Posted Mar 6, 2014, 2:13 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIA View Post
Just thought of something else. There is 480,000 sqft of office space planned and 110,000 sqft in retail. That's probably going to equate to between 2,000 to 3,000 workers.
Thank you. Where did you get 480,000 from? I've looked at most of the articles but could not find that number. 2000 -3000 workers seems more reasonable than the 3000+ workers estimate from 2011.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2014, 11:07 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
The office space component is being built in the factory building itself, the one that landmarks objected to having the glass addition on top.

http://archpaper.com/news/articles.asp?id=7133

De Blasio Wins at Domino
New York mayor scores first major victory in fight for affordable housing.

Henry Melcher

Quote:
After years of failed attempts to transform the defunct Domino Sugar Factory on the Brooklyn waterfront, the New York City Planning Commission has voted unanimously to approve the $1.5 billion, SHoP Architects–designed project.

This vote is not just significant for New York City development—it is a key political victory for the new mayor. And it sets the tone for his administration’s aggressive approach toward city planning.

The deal was also lauded by housing advocates, and advocates for the poor. “This is the kind of initiative the city should be taking to ensure that the affordable housing component in major developments is maximized,” said David R. Jones, president of the Community Service Society of New York. “The mayor has raised the bar for future developments and signaled that he intends to fully incorporate affordable housing into his policy vision.”

.....While the progressive mayor has frequently critiqued developers for building so many “multi-million dollar condos” for the global elite, he’s made it clear that his affordable housing agenda relies on increased development.

According to the New York Daily News, de Blasio told a group of developers at a closed-door event, “The only way I can achieve my [affordable housing] goals is if we are building and building aggressively.”

Old Posted Mar 10, 2014, 2:50 AM
New Yorker for life

As predicted...

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/poli...icle-1.1715572

Mayor de Blasio’s Brooklyn housing plan is building big worries
After Wednesday's approval of a $1.5 billion project on the site of old Domino sugar plant in Williamsburg, some advocates worry the developments will overwhelm neighborhoods.

By Matt Chaban
March 9, 2014

Quote:
Mayor de Blasio's ambitious housing plan is now towering over the city — and after the approval of a massive development in Brooklyn, some advocates and preservationists are cowering in its shadow.

Their concern is this: Will de Blasio's promise to let developers build larger and taller in exchange for creating affordable housing overwhelm neighborhoods with hulking buildings that hurt the quality of life?

"Hopefully new affordable housing can be created without necessarily requiring a massive scale of construction to do so," said Andrew Berman, executive director of the Greenwich Village Society for Historic Preservation.

This build-at-all-costs mentality even has some housing advocates worried.

"Density is great, but it means more than just tall buildings," said Jerilyn Perine, of the Citizen's Housing and Planning Commission. "They have to fit in with the urban fabric and address basic infrastructure, too."

The fears crystalized Wednesday when the Planning Board approved a $1.5 billion project on the site of old Domino sugar plant in Williamsburg. It will have towers as high as 55 stories, or about 20 stories more than zoning on the site normally allows.

Permission for the taller buildings was granted in return for the developer setting aside 537,000 square feet, a quarter of all space, for 700 units of affordable housing.

That's compared to 20% under a less dense 2010 plan.

The outlines of the deal were negotiated by Mayor Michael Bloomberg's administration, but Team de Blasio squeezed the developer to add 40 affordable units before granting approval.

While some critics praised the look of the proposed buildings, some other New Yorkers recoiled. On Twitter, one said the project looked like "Tetris on the East River."

"I know the critics like it, but," said Simeon Bankoff, director of the Historic Districts Council, "what happens next time, when a lesser developer comes along and wants to build something even bigger and uglier? What will the mayor do then?

"Officials made clear it will be a template for future development, as de Blasio tries to fulfill his goal of creating or renovating 200,000 units of affordable housing."

Planning Board member Michelle de la Uz was appointed in 2009 by de Blasio when he was public advocate. "I know some people are uncomfortable with the density and the height of this project," she added. "We all need to recognize the housing crisis we're in and seize every opportunity to maximize units."

In an interview with the Daily News, Planning Commissioner Carl Weisbrod said density and good design and planning need not be mutually exclusive.

"We'll be looking at these projects on a case-by-case basis," he said.

Steven Spinola, head of the Real Estate Board of New York, agrees that preservationists are drawing false distinctions between density and quality of life.

"Responsible developers care about quality construction and architectural distinction, they can and will continue to accomplish both," he said.

The real estate industry has certainly been emboldened by the Domino project.

"This isn't going to be a fight between the mayor and developers, it's going to be a fight between the mayor and the NIMBYs," one executive said, using the acronym for 'Not in My Backyard."

Whatever the aesthetics of the buildings turns out to be, one thing seems clear. For many New Yorkers, Mayor Bill de Blasio is becoming Mayor Build de Blasio.

"The new message out of City Hall is 'Build, baby, build,'" Bankoff said.

Let me just look over this again:

Quote:
"Hopefully new affordable housing can be created without necessarily requiring a massive scale of construction to do so," said Andrew Berman, executive director of the Greenwich Village Society for Historic Preservation.

"Density is great, but it means more than just tall buildings," said Jerilyn Perine, of the Citizen's Housing and Planning Commission. "They have to fit in with the urban fabric and address basic infrastructure, too."
Just where exactly do these people belive all of this imaginary land for new housing is going to come from? There's a reason New York has so many skyscrapers and highrises.

Quote:
Planning Board member Michelle de la Uz was appointed in 2009 by de Blasio when he was public advocate. "I know some people are uncomfortable with the density and the height of this project," she added. "We all need to recognize the housing crisis we're in and seize every opportunity to maximize units."
Exactly. What she's trying to say, while putting it in nicer terms, is that the NIMBYs need to shut it and stuff it.

Last edited by NYguy; Mar 10, 2014 at 3:01 AM.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2014, 10:01 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

As of March 11th, 2014...
Photo Credit: j-biz

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-biz View Post
Demo has definitely picked up a little speed as the weather improves.

~ My Stamford, CT Thread ~~ My Danbury, CT Thread ~

Old Posted Mar 16, 2014, 12:14 PM
New Yorker for life

I think the success and speed through which the City and developer reached an agreement here sets the tone for future development. And the developers are taking notice.

http://www.capitalnewyork.com/articl...lopers-housing

De Blasio aides meet with big developers on housing

By Dana Rubinstein
Mar. 13, 2014

Quote:
Today at City Hall, two top aides to Mayor Bill de Blasio met with some of the city's biggest developers to talk about affordable housing.

At 11 a.m. today in the Committee of the Whole room at City Hall, de Blasio's deputy mayor for housing and economic development, Alicia Glen, and his commission for the department of housing preservation and development, Vicki Been, met with about 30 members of the real estate industry, including some of its most prominent members: Extell founder Gary Barnett; Tishman Speyer president and co-CEO Rob Speyer, who's also chairman of the Real Estate Board of New York; Durst Organization chairman Douglas Durst; Brooklyn developer George Klein; and BFC Partners co-owner Don Capoccia.

The meeting lasted about 90 minutes and came the day after aides met with smaller-time developers, according to someone who was at today's meeting, and more than a week after they met with affordable housing advocates.

Today, they talked about de Blasio's goal to build and preserve 200,000 units of affordable housing in 10 years time, more than Mayor Bloomberg achieved in 12.

"It was a very constructive dialogue," said the person who attended. "They get it, they understand it."

The group spend a good amount of time talking about how to tilt the paradigm toward new construction, as opposed to preservation (Bloomberg's program was heavily geared toward preservation of existing units), and about the obstacles to building affordable housing in New York City.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 11:09 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

Exterior elevator!?!

Photography Credit: http://www.paulraphaelson.com/domino/#1

This will be a very different shot soon:

©Paul Raphaelson

Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 11:39 PM

^^ woah crazy! Great catch! I'm so excited for this project to get started in earnest.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 12:03 AM
Homo sapiens sapiens

Posted April 24th, 2014...
Photo Credit: j-biz

©j-biz

Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 6:55 PM
Homo sapiens sapiens

NEW YORK | Domino Sugar Plant (4 towers) | 598 / 518 / 400 FT | 55≥ FLOORS

Hurdles falling as Domino Sugar project gets OK for towers
Land Use panel approves building heights at Williamsburg site

April 25, 2014 08:30AM
Mark Maurer

From left: Stephen Levin, Jed Walentas of Two Trees and the Domino Sugar site rendering

Quote:
City Council has reached an agreement with developer Two Trees Management to allow for buildings as tall as 55 stories at the former Domino Sugar Factory site in Williamsburg.

As part of the deal, Two Trees agreed to make the below-market rate section affordable for families of four earning an annual income of $60,000, the Wall Street Journal reported. The 2,300-unit site will hold 700 affordable units, up from the 660 units originally proposed.

The Committee on Land Use signed off on the mixed-use project yesterday. The next step is the final Council vote Tuesday. Council member Stephen Levin, who represents Brooklyn’s 33rd District, was among those to vote in favor of the plan. The vote marked the first major land-use approval under the Mayor Bill de Blasio administration.

“A lot of people in the real estate community saw this as a guinea pig,” David Lombino, Two Trees’ special projects director, told the Wall Street Journal. “The answer is clear. If the project provides significant affordable housing and other community benefits then this administration and the City Council are open for business.”

Last edited by Hypothalamus; Apr 25, 2014 at 7:13 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction