HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Sep 7, 2021, 5:08 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Paging Mcgrath I think you're going to have a transitgasam

Septa has now unveiled the plan to call the system "THE METRO"

https://map.septa.org

With new way finding signs and Stations.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2021, 5:20 PM

^^That's pretty cool! Also, make sure to post transportation items in the Transportation thread as well.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2021, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTone View Post
100% it's lightyears ahead of what it used to be & is improving like you said the 700-800 blocks are the areas that are still a little tricky but as you see a lot of businesses are closing and well soon me redeveloped we can bet on that. East Market from City Hall to Old City will soon be a tourist/shopping heaven but it takes time.
There's really only a few blocks left that need to be razed and rebuilt. The real issue is all the methodone clinics near this stretch. It literally summons all the junkies into this part of town. Structurally, this stretch is close. But the street action as of this weekend is wholly unenjoyable.

It's a shame.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2021, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
I walked down Market from the East Market development (12th ish Street) all the way to Old City a few weeks back.

The East Market development is far better than the Gallery redo, but tbh, the Gallery redo is worlds better than what it was. All in all, I thought the whole run looked pretty good with the exception of the 700 and 800 blocks. Leagues ahead of where it was even 4 years ago.
Yea, throw me in on the side that is pretty confused by all the negativity. I can't even comprehend the opinion that East Market has gotten worse in recent years. Especially when you factor in that we're in the midst of an ongoing global pandemic, what exactly do people want done? Force people back into offices and the tourists to come so the streets are more vibrant? It's not a Phillycentric issue and there's no real way to solve it besides finally getting covid manageable. Once it is and the streets get busier again, it's hard to deny the actual stretch is much improved.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2021, 5:28 PM

I’ve known about it since January, but haven’t been able to comment until now.

I like the graphic design, but I’m not sold on a few other things, including the name. I have a feeling people would just ignore the word “Metro” entirely and just use “trolley” or “subway” like they always have. As I’ve said on other sites, a happy medium needs to be established—like TfL—where the system is unified on the map and in graphic design but can still go by different names depending on the type of service (Underground vs Overground vs DLR, etc).

I’m fine with the L and the Girard Trolley. Those both make sense (L1 implies the existence of an L2 though. Should just be L).

The BSL could get confusing, especially with the question of how the actual physical trains will display this information. Will the current lighted boards stay? Needs some tweaking.

The Trolley Routes are okay, given that the bus numbers will be changed alongside them, but I do think that a lot of the current confusion could be solved by better maps/signage.

What is awful to me is the NHSL. Why is it called M? Because it’s in “Montgomery County?” 16 of the 22 stops are in Delaware County! An alternative that was proposed before that I think is far superior is “A”, for “Arrow.”

I’m very happy to see the SEPTA meatball return. I hope that the gorgeous Art Deco head houses can be preserved on the BSL while still incorporating the new design.

This also begs the question: do we bring back the R system for Regional Rail now? The woman responsible for axing it in the first place has since left the organization. A lot of people (including SEPTA themselves) still use the R designations.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2021, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
Yea, throw me in on the side that is pretty confused by all the negativity. I can't even comprehend the opinion that East Market has gotten worse in recent years. Especially when you factor in that we're in the midst of an ongoing global pandemic, what exactly do people want done? Force people back into offices and the tourists to come so the streets are more vibrant? It's not a Phillycentric issue and there's no real way to solve it besides finally getting covid manageable. Once it is and the streets get busier again, it's hard to deny the actual stretch is much improved.
Yep. This 100%

Old Posted Sep 7, 2021, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
I

This also begs the question: do we bring back the R system for Regional Rail now? The woman responsible for axing it in the first place has since left the organization. A lot of people (including SEPTA themselves) still use the R designations.
I can't help but use the prior "R" labels. My understanding was that the primary reason for the change was the confusion around a single line (such as "R3") defining two different directions (Media vs. West Trenton). People would jump on an R3 and inadvertently head in the wrong direction. What do you think of returning to the R labels, but having each direction have its own number? So start with the R1 for the airport line, then move clockwise to the R2, R3, etc. The routes to the north would have new numbers which won't make everyone happy. But it would be clear and logical, and there would be meaning to the number.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2021, 5:48 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
^^That's pretty cool! Also, make sure to post transportation items in the Transportation thread as well.
Sorry summers every time I post in the transportation thread no one sees it. I have posts in there no one has seen or replied to. I don't think anyone goes into it.

I wish it was more visible.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2021, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700 Level View Post
I can't help but use the prior "R" labels. My understanding was that the primary reason for the change was the confusion around a single line (such as "R3") defining two different directions (Media vs. West Trenton). People would jump on an R3 and inadvertently head in the wrong direction. What do you think of returning to the R labels, but having each direction have its own number? So start with the R1 for the airport line, then move clockwise to the R2, R3, etc. The routes to the north would have new numbers which won't make everyone happy. But it would be clear and logical, and there would be meaning to the number.
The idea was that the routes were paired; Thorndale Trains would become Lansdale trains, West Trenton trains would become West Chester trains, etc. there was only ever one R1 because it was intended to terminate at Glenside, and there was no R4 because it relied on a never built connection between CHW and the SEPTA main. I agree that a change would probably be necessary to the OG R system, but it would make a lot more sense with this new system.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2021, 6:18 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
There's really only a few blocks left that need to be razed and rebuilt. The real issue is all the methodone clinics near this stretch. It literally summons all the junkies into this part of town. Structurally, this stretch is close. But the street action as of this weekend is wholly unenjoyable.

It's a shame.
Wow there's a methadone clinic in this area? I had no idea. that explains it some of the issues.

A lot of issues will be resolved in due time as we see improvements currently happening, but imagine if the city just pushed away all the problems in one day we would have a lot of backlash from advocate groups, citizens & etc.

I think what a lot of people fail to realize is that the city/many cities across the US are safe havens for a lot of people and issues. albeit not good issues but we protect our citizens that have less.

These same people are what some people would call undesirables.

Pushing them around to other areas would only continue the problems & make us no better than our counterparts.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2021, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Sorry summers every time I post in the transportation thread no one sees it. I have posts in there no one has seen or replied to. I don't think anyone goes into it.

I wish it was more visible.
I have no problem with you posting it here too! I think posting transportation items in both locations is great.

I've tried moving the Transportation thread, tagging it "Philadelphia".... so on and so forth. Unfortunately, with how this forum is set up, there's no good way to get that to be more visible.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2021, 6:32 PM

Renderings Revealed For 201 West Johnson Street on West Mount Airy/Germantown Border

Rendering:

Rendering:

Current site:

Read/view more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2021/09/rend...ladelphia.html

Old Posted Sep 7, 2021, 6:48 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Talking

Quote:
I have no problem with you posting it here too! I think posting transportation items in both locations is great.

I've tried moving the Transportation thread, tagging it "Philadelphia".... so on and so forth. Unfortunately, with how this forum is set up, there's no good way to get that to be more visible.
OK sounds good.

Yea to bad it's not as visible but hey we make it work.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2021, 7:01 PM

Quote:
OK sounds good.

Yea to bad it's not as visible but hey we make it work.
I would agree that the Transpo thread is ignored, example is that I posted that Septa Info there this morning but it seems only BusyBee noticed.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2021, 7:16 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
I would agree that the Transpo thread is ignored, example is that I posted that Septa Info there this morning but it seems only BusyBee noticed.
Yea I saw that as well. you definitely posted a nice summary of this same article.

The Philly transportation page is just hidden. it's better to post in the Philly low Rise thread.

Shit summers didn't even notice it till I posted it here lol.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2021, 7:44 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Have y'all seen this?

Looks like updated plans for a Delaware Ave Trolley

https://www.dvrpc.org/Reports/16046.pdf

Mcgrath any word on how far along this is? Looks pretty new since the Penns Landing cap is included.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2021, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Renderings Revealed For 201 West Johnson Street on West Mount Airy/Germantown Border
Turd. Other than brick, did they even try to harmonize with the beautiful neighboring building?

Old Posted Sep 7, 2021, 9:40 PM
Midrise

Quote:
Have y'all seen this?

Looks like updated plans for a Delaware Ave Trolley

https://www.dvrpc.org/Reports/16046.pdf

Mcgrath any word on how far along this is? Looks pretty new since the Penns Landing cap is included.
The cover page says it's from 3 years ago: "November 2018"

Old Posted Sep 7, 2021, 10:05 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayfar View Post
The cover page says it's from 3 years ago: "November 2018"
Thats my fault for rushing through and not reading.

Thanks Jayfar for the correction.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2021, 1:44 PM

https://phillyyimby.com/2021/09/rend...ermantown.html

I'm very happy to see development on Chelten Avenue in Germantown. The area has great bones and it would be wonderful for NW Philadelphia if it rebounded. My only complaint about this project, as well as Station Square a block away, is the surface level parking. I understand that underground parking likely doesn't pencil out for these projects, but having a street-fronting parking lot will disrupt the streetscape and make the area less walkable than it could be. That being said, both developments are a positive for the neighborhood.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development