HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 6:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegcityboy View Post
Absolutely ridiculous to fire him for that , he’s not wrong but nowadays you can’t say anything cause some minority or group will be insulted ! Getting really annoying already that we are so censored now and we can’t say anything that MAY hurt somebody’s feelings even if it is the complete truth !!!
Ummmm.... only its NOT the truth. Immigrants are not coming to Canada and using all our luxuries and then refusing to wear poppies. That's just a cheap Conservative talking point to try and justify their already racists views. The reality is that ALL Canadians are not wearing poppies, including many white "old stock" Canadians. I barely saw any today walking around.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 6:27 AM

I think I saw one person here wearing one today who wasn’t in uniform. Not a surprise, considering it’s been over a hundred years since the First World War.

She was south Asian, btw.

Heck, even if they wanted to people wouldn’t be able to purchase a poppy. I didnt see anyone selling them all week.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 6:55 AM

Don Cherry

Well he is right kinda , Thurmas you are correct very few people are wearing poppies anymore white people included but I was around and about today in Winnipeg and did not see 1 poppy on a new Canadian today and I was at a Manitoba Moose game and made a point of looking for poppies on lapels today . I still don’t see how that comment is really offensive about coming here for the milk and honey and nobody wearing poppies , if he added matter of fact not many of us in Canada are wearing them anymore and it’s a terrible or a shame then nobody would be bitching about this !!! Again where’s the freedom of speech , and and opinion , it’s long gone in this super sensitive multicultural Mecca we have here in Canada !

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 12:39 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Well he is right kinda , Thurmas you are correct very few people are wearing poppies anymore white people included but I was around and about today in Winnipeg and did not see 1 poppy on a new Canadian today and I was at a Manitoba Moose game and made a point of looking for poppies on lapels today .
....were you looking for poppies after 11AM on Remembrance Day?

Do you only view new Canadians as non-whites? Because that seems to be the implication here. Again, it wasn't the poppy comment that got Cherry fired for those of you still paying attention.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis3000 View Post
I live up in the Conservative white heartland of Barrie and barely anyone had a poppy on today. I was out and about in several places and I'd say a solid 80% of people did not have one. Must not just be the immigrants
Somebody posted a pic of one of the Wexit rallies from last week in response. ZERO poppies in the crowd of old stock white people.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 4:46 PM

This is the first year I didn't purchase one. It was not deliberate. I just didn't see them for sale anywhere I went to over the past few weeks.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman23 View Post
I think I saw one person here wearing one today who wasn’t in uniform. Not a surprise, considering it’s been over a hundred years since the First World War.

She was south Asian, btw.

Heck, even if they wanted to people wouldn’t be able to purchase a poppy. I didnt see anyone selling them all week.
It's bad form for the poppy to be worn after the Remembrance Day ceremonies are finished. Its actually become a tradition to leave the poppy at the cenotaph.

Wear them, don't wear them. Support the troops, don't support the troops (and as a member of the RCN I cannot stand being lumped in with the Army) I really couldn't care. Just know that in this country you can do what ever you please and that ideal is what Remembrance Day is all about.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 4:52 PM

Just because people are new immigrants, doesn't mean they don't have family that didn't fight in the war. And again, if this dude thinks "wearing a poppy" is the most important part of remembrance day he's the one that needs a reality check for not respecting the veterans.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 5:00 PM

New Canadians

No I don’t only view “ New Canadians “ as non whites “ but they are easier obviously to identify then white new Canadians unless you hear them talk . I was out from about 10am till about 7 when Moose game ended and I’m not naive im sure they were people wearing them that I missed lol , Winnipeg is after all a metro of 850,000 but from what I SAW they was not a lot of people wearing poppies and not one “ new Canadian” that I saw . My friend was in Toronto since Saturday and he said the same thing very few poppies worn .

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 5:17 PM

I buy a poppy or two every year and they inevitably fall off my jacket and I lose them. So I guess that is the equivalent of horking on war graves in Cherry's eyes.

But that said, I don't know why people can't just celebrate the things that matter to them without getting all worked about about other people failing to display sufficient deference.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
This is the first year I didn't purchase one. It was not deliberate. I just didn't see them for sale anywhere I went to over the past few weeks.
I didn't see anybody selling one either until Saturday the 9th.

Regardless of what Cherry thinks in his 85 year old brain, I went to the ceremony in downtown Vancouver on Monday and it was as well attended as I've ever seen. The weather might have helped (not raining). But there were plenty of people there from all walks of life and everybody was respectful. I didn't start asking how long each of them had been in the country.

Also worth noting, many non-white people in the various parades that marched past, including the youth cadets. I'd actually wager the cadets were mostly non-white. Damn lazy white Canadians, perhaps they are too unfit for service.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 6:23 PM

Don Cherry

Funny how we can hold a legendary sportscaster so accountable for telling new Canadians to buy poppies and support our veterans but our Prime Minister can do way worse and we vote him in again !!! Society is just ass backwards and hyposensitive and everything is so scrutinized, well maybe not everything , Mr Prime Minister !!

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 6:25 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
I didn't see anybody selling one either until Saturday the 9th.
Where do you folks spend your time? I saw poppies for sale both in retail stores and from the legion/service members in public before Halloween.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 6:28 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Where do you folks spend your time? I saw poppies for sale both in retail stores and from the legion/service members in public before Halloween.
You seem to be in the minority. As I said yesterday they weren't that easy to find.

An office building I go into several times a week here in Gatineau has always had a box with poppies at the security desk, but this year did not. I did not take the time to ask why.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 6:30 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
You seem to be in the minority. As I said yesterday they weren't that easy to find.
Walk into any one of Canada's three trillion Tim Horton's and you'll find a poppy box.

Oh wait, everyone on this forum hates Tim's. Right.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Funny how we can hold a legendary sportscaster so accountable for telling new Canadians to buy poppies and support our veterans but our Prime Minister can do way worse and we vote him in again !!! Society is just ass backwards and hyposensitive and everything is so scrutinized, well maybe not everything , Mr Prime Minister !!
Regardless of their views, one is an elected official, one is an employee. We still have Freedom of Expression.

Perhaps Cherry will run for leadership of the CPC and be Canadian PM in 2 years.

Meanwhile I suggest writing a company wide email in the tone of Cherry's rant and see what that does to your employment prospects.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Not in a mall, but happened to be there on Saturday.

I work in a very urban area, and we have people on corners flogging crap and trying to get you to sign petitions. I just assumed there would be people selling poppies there too.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Went to Walmart and a few times to Superstore (Loblaws for poor people), saw nothing.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Walk into any one of Canada's three trillion Tim Horton's and you'll find a poppy box.

Oh wait, everyone on this forum hates Tim's. Right.
I only saw them at Tim's and Shoppers Drug Mart, the latter of which I rarely ever go to.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 7:22 PM

Lots of people wearing poppies in Calgary yesterday, and lots of places selling them as well.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada