HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 25, 2021, 8:50 PM

I'll admit I was salty when the Habs creamed my Jets. But they deserved it. The Habs have been playing with heart the entire series.
Leafs and their special needs fans had the parade all set and look what happened. The 4th place team takes out the top team. It was just like when the Jets took out the Oilers who were supposed to be so good.

I don't see how Leafs fans deserve a cup either. Are they special? Not by the looks of it. They are just like the Oilers. The team with all the superstars that cannot make it out of round one ever. Ya the Oilers were good back in the day. Well that's not today. Yet the have elite players. As do the Leafs.

But then there is the bunch of misfits which no one thought could even make a run in the first round and look where they are now.

Like I said at the start of the playoffs. As long as the Leafs don't make it past the first round I don't care who makes it lol. And I thank the Habs for giving me that. And also for showing management in the Jets that we have some holes to fix this summer.

Either way. Price deserves a Cup. He's stuck it out for so long and of all the elite players I think he deserves to see a cup.

However I'm sure Bettman will be having a chat with the refs for the cup run and to make sure no Canadian team wins as it must have broke his heart to see his desert team lose.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2021, 9:11 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
Who gives a fuck about just winning the first round?
There's no reason they can't just win it all. It's been too long already, and their fans deserve it more than any fans in sports.
There is a subtle but impactful difference between building and preparing a team for the regular season and building and preparing a team for the playoffs.

The Leafs are a regular season team.

Bergeron and Ducharme and his staff did a pretty awesome job in building and preparing a playoff team.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2021, 9:12 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

The Premier of NL just tweeted a thank you to François Legault for a framed Habs jersey, insinuating that Legault sent one to all of the Premiers.

The NL Premier got Guy Lafleur's number 10.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2021, 9:53 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The Premier of NL just tweeted a thank you to François Legault for a framed Habs jersey, insinuating that Legault sent one to all of the Premiers.

The NL Premier got Guy Lafleur's number 10.
lucky bastard. that was always the number I wanted on my jersey. the flower.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2021, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
There is a subtle but impactful difference between building and preparing a team for the regular season and building and preparing a team for the playoffs.

The Leafs are a regular season team.
Next season they better be a playoff team and win the cup. No bullshit. No excuses.
Anything less is a complete failure.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2021, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Next season they better be a playoff team and win the cup. No bullshit. No excuses.
Anything less is a complete failure.
Kind of high expectations, no?

Let's get past the first round maybe.

I'm a Leafs fan, but man are some people's expectations a teeny bit excessive. Which is funny because those fans will just come right back even after being disappointed.

I'd be happy to see the Leafs not snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2021, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewave46 View Post
Kind of high expectations, no?

Let's get past the first round maybe.
Not really, no.

If an expansion team like Vegas can make the finals in their first year, and the Panthers in their 3rd year without ever making the playoffs, and the Hurricanes/Whalers making it after going 15 years without winning a playoff round - then I don't see why the Leafs can't make it to the finals and win next year. There's no reason they need to do it in steps.

If anything, the first step has to be a finals appearance - not simply getting past the first round.
It's not like this is a newly built team. They've been building this team for a while now.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2021, 11:34 PM

The Leafs aren’t going anywhere with this core. The Habs are a nice counter point: a bunch of young guns on ELCs with everything to prove playing their hearts out when they get the chance. On the other hand, Marner and Matthews got paid before doing anything and play like they’re winding down their NHL careers.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2021, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkoshvilli View Post
Is it me or Bill Daly looked kinda bummed presenting the trophy to the habs? Doesnt do much to dispell the idea the nhl doesnt really want the habs to win.

I think it's just paranoia. Daly isn't a happy looking guy very often.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2021, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Not really, no.

If an expansion team like Vegas can make the finals in their first year, and the Panthers in their 3rd year without ever making the playoffs, and the Hurricanes/Whalers making it after going 15 years without winning a playoff round - then I don't see why the Leafs can't make it to the finals and win next year. There's no reason they need to do it in steps.

If anything, the first step has to be a finals appearance - not simply getting past the first round.
It's not like this is a newly built team. They've been building this team for a while now.
Then the obvious conclusion is that maybe the Leafs aren't working well as a team in the playoffs.

Certainly the last few years have seemingly proved this. I'm willing to give them another chance. My bar for expectations is somewhat lower though.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2021, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
I think it's just paranoia. Daly isn't a happy looking guy very often.
He looks pretty happy here

And here

Old Posted Jun 26, 2021, 2:29 AM
Community Guy

TB-HABS

Amazing goaltending/blocking shots by TB.

GO HABS GO!

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jun 26, 2021, 2:38 AM

And theres Daly chatting up the lightning players and smilling like a butchers dog. Yet he couldnt even muster a fake smile with the habs.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2021, 2:44 AM

You're comparing a snapshot in time to a video feed. I could have easily frozen a moment tonight where he wasn't smiling, just like I'm sure he didn't look like a sour puss the entire time he was on the ice in Montreal. But if you want to continue the NHL is against Canada theme, go ahead. Seeing that kind of whining almost makes me want to see Montreal lose (It's already not that hard to wish that anyway).

Old Posted Jun 26, 2021, 2:48 AM

I'm curious why Kevin Bieksa wasn't on HNIC last night or tonight. Was there mention made of why? I was listening to Toronto sportscaster Mark Hebscher's podcast today and he speculated that perhaps him correcting play by play man Chris Cuthbert on the air might have caused a stir. Can't see that causing them to pull one of their popular up and coming broadcasters, but it does create suspicion.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2021, 2:51 AM

Ok then show me a snapshot of him smilling with the habs and or frowning tonight. I really wanna see it. And nobody gives a fuck if you want to see the habs lose or not. No one asked.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2021, 2:57 AM

Quote:
I'm curious why Kevin Bieksa wasn't on HNIC last night or tonight. Was there mention made of why? I was listening to Toronto sportscaster Mark Hebscher's podcast today and he speculated that perhaps him correcting play by play man Chris Cuthbert on the air might have caused a stir. Can't see that causing them to pull one of their popular up and coming broadcasters, but it does create suspicion.
I believe Ron mentioned last night that Bieksa had a previously scheduled engagement.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2021, 3:01 AM

Quote:
You're comparing a snapshot in time to a video feed. I could have easily frozen a moment tonight where he wasn't smiling, just like I'm sure he didn't look like a sour puss the entire time he was on the ice in Montreal. But if you want to continue the NHL is against Canada theme, go ahead. Seeing that kind of whining almost makes me want to see Montreal lose (It's already not that hard to wish that anyway).
I am sure Bettman & Co. would secretly like to see a team located in the Southern US win to “grow the game”, but yeah that narrative is being pushed a bit too much and borders on conspiracy theory.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2021, 3:20 AM

Speaking of conspiracies.....arent you the only person ever to move from Montreal to Ottawa and not want to go back? I dont think I can take your posts seriously no offence.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2021, 3:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkoshvilli View Post
Speaking of conspiracies.....arent you the only person ever to move from Montreal to Ottawa and not want to go back? I dont think I can take your posts seriously no offence.
Weird comment. Sorry I moved away, I guess?

Last edited by le calmar; Jun 26, 2021 at 3:49 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada