HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jan 5, 2014, 12:44 AM

My girlfriend and I had brunch today at Kapnos on 14th Street (excellent restaurant). We walked down 14th Street and I saw the big public storage building on U Street, next to the Louis building. Why isn't this redeveloped into housing? Apartments that rent for $2500 per month seem a lot more valuable than public storage units that rent for $60 per month.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2014, 7:59 PM

Some concept development on WMATA property here . Lots of surface parking that needs to go away, but at 3-6 floors it will be pretty generic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post
My girlfriend and I had brunch today at Kapnos on 14th Street (excellent restaurant). We walked down 14th Street and I saw the big public storage building on U Street, next to the Louis building. Why isn't this redeveloped into housing? Apartments that rent for $2500 per month seem a lot more valuable than public storage units that rent for $60 per month.
That building would be very difficult to retrofit into residential as it only has tiny windows on the front and the back, leaving quite a large unlit volume inside. Maybe punched openings could be put in on the sides but only on the upper floors, and the development to the east might block that whole side. I don't know...

Old Posted Jan 6, 2014, 10:12 PM

Church Conversion: Capitol Hill Church Slated to Become Residences

This absolutely makes sense. There is a great scarcity of land to develop in DC and as more of the young secular people continue to move into the District, there is less of a need for churches. Additionally, it is good to see that one use of the property that does not pay property taxes will be replaced by housing that does.

Church Conversion: Capitol Hill Church Slated to Become Residences

Jan. 6, 2014
Urban Turf

Image courtesy of Urban Turf.

"Plans are in the works to convert a Capitol Hill church into a 26-unit residential project.

UrbanTurf has learned that a developer would like to turn the Way of the Cross Church of Christ at 819 D Street NE into a residential project. Plans are in the very early stages, and the project would need to go before the Board of Zoning and Adjustment to receive a variance for that number of units, a source familiar with the deal told UrbanTurf..."

http://dc.urbanturf.com/articles/blo...esidences/7958

Old Posted Jan 7, 2014, 4:59 PM

Financing Lined Up for Mixed-Income Rental Building at 7th and L

This is good to see. This section can be a bit desolate when walking between Barrack's Row and the Capitol Riverfront/Navy Yard. Hopefully this will also encourage more redevelopment of lower 8th Street.

Financing Lined Up for Mixed-Income Rental Building at 7th and L

JD Land
Jan. 7, 2013

Image courtesy of JD Land.

"The neighborhood appears to have (yet) another residential project likely to get underway in 2014, as the DC Housing Authority has finally gotten the financing together for the long-planned 195-unit mixed-income residential building at 7th and L SE, on the site of the old Capper Seniors building.

The building permit for the project was approved a few months ago, and with money now in place, it's expected that dirt should begin to move within a few months ("expected" as always being the key word). This building, which will face the Marine Bachelor Enlisted Quarters across L, will be all rentals, and will have 39 affordable housing units alongside the market-rate offerings..."

http://www.jdland.com/dc/index.cfm/3...ding-at-7th-a/

Old Posted Jan 7, 2014, 5:21 PM
life is good

Good news! Agreed that 8th st South of the Interstate is a bit dead. You think it would've taken off by now (I know IHOP has plans for the Blue Castle, and didnt they buy the former cab space/now an empty lot?).

Glad to see another surface parking lot partially bite the dust, also!

Old Posted Jan 9, 2014, 9:09 PM
life is good

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7302829...ream/lightbox/

Some pics I took off four commercial renovations going on in Anacostia right now.

DC Area Rents Drop 3% As New Apartment Supply Rises
http://dc.urbanturf.com/articles/blo...ply_rises/7979

Old Posted Jan 10, 2014, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eightball View Post
http://www.flickr.com/photos/7302829...ream/lightbox/

Some pics I took off four commercial renovations going on in Anacostia right now.
Thank you for posting. Anacostia has tremendous potential in the medium (5-10 years) term.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2014, 8:47 PM

New D.C. library chief sees MLK as ‘empty canvas’

I've argued on GGW that the MLK library should move from its Metro Center location elsewhere. By selling some of the most valuable land in the city, the District could earn revenue to build a new library and encourage redevelopment elsewhere (i.e. L'Enfant Plaza).

New D.C. library chief sees MLK as ‘empty canvas’

By By Mike DeBonis
Jan. 9, 2014
Washington Post

"Richard Reyes-Gavilan, the next chief of the D.C. Public Library, loves big libraries. In his introductory remarks Thursday before Mayor Vincent C. Gray and other dignitaries, he was rhapsodic in describing visits to the central library in his childhood home of Queens, N.Y.

“The dignity that I was afforded when I walked through the revolving doors of that building on Merrick Boulevard every Saturday morning was like nothing I ever experienced,” he said. “Here was a space that made me important. It encouraged my curiosity, it made me a better student, it made me a more civic-minded person.”

In his new job, the 44-year-old Reyes-Gavilan will have the opportunity to revamp the District’s biggest library — the Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial Library — seeing through a planned renovation of the four-decade-old structure designed by modernist icon Ludwig Mies van der Rohe. It stands to be the most crucial part of his job, coming after predecessor Ginnie Cooper presided over the rebuilding or renovation of most of the system’s neighborhood branches..."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...-empty-canvas/

Old Posted Jan 10, 2014, 10:02 PM
life is good

Quote:
Thank you for posting. Anacostia has tremendous potential in the medium (5-10 years) term.
Yep. I think I saw you post elsewhere that it's next up as it is so close to Navy Yard. Couldn't agree more (though the river is a significant barrier - new bridge is really nice). Kind of amazing that houses there are still so affordable compared to Navy Yard where a starter rowhouse is 600k or more now.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2014, 10:55 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

I just saw a NIMBY page against the reconstruction of the Virginia Avenue Tunnel, chock-full of the most ridiculous, delirious, and outright ill-informed claims imaginable. Great for a laugh and a few words of frustration, since it would not take much work for CSX to deconstruct each and every single one of their "issues".

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Jan 12, 2014, 3:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
I just saw a NIMBY page against the reconstruction of the Virginia Avenue Tunnel, chock-full of the most ridiculous, delirious, and outright ill-informed claims imaginable. Great for a laugh and a few words of frustration, since it would not take much work for CSX to deconstruct each and every single one of their "issues".
How are concerns about ths project ridiculous? I fully support freight rail but there have been several recent (and fatal explosions) involving the Bakken oil shipped via rail. There was recently a fire on one of the CSX trains here on the Virginia Ave tunnel. The construction will also create local congestion and disruption-- this isn't really debatable. It is entirely reasonable that neighbors-- including me-- want this project done safely.

JD Land had a post about the CSX tunnel this week: http://www.jdland.com/dc/index.cfm/3...unnel-Jan.-16/.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2014, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
dcsaferail.org? Right off the bat they use demonizing language (see oppositions to the Purple Line, McMillan, and the proposal to relax the height act for further details):
Quote:
CSX Transportation wants to greatly expand its freight rail through Washington DC to increase its bottom line profits.
Then there's classic NIMBYism (increase freight movement in other areas because out of sight, out of mind):
Quote:
Residents are calling for at least a rerouting of trains during construction to greatly reduce the impacts of this proposed project.
And even though about a dozen alternates were considered, including rerouting, they're taking a no-compromise position:
Quote:
But as of yet CSX—a multi-billion dollar corporation—is not listening.
The pics of train accidents (from who knows where) is the icing on the cake. Any concern for the miles of grade-level and elevated freight lines elsewhere in the city?

It's not like the tunnel upgrade is a new development anyway: http://dcmud.blogspot.com/2009/11/jo...s-for-big.html

Quote:
It is entirely reasonable that neighbors-- including me-- want this project done safely.
Maybe, but the rhetoric on that site doesn't bode well for being reasonable.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 8:30 PM
life is good

Rents Drop at DC Area’s Class B Apartments as Vacancies Rise
http://dc.urbanturf.com/articles/blo...ncy_rises/7992
Quote:
UrbanTurf has already projected that 2014 will be the year of the renter in the DC area. That’s because the number of new buildings going up in the region is catching up with (and in some cases surpassing) demand. That same increase in inventory is affecting rents in older buildings, which are expected to drop in the area this coming year, according to a new report.

The report, issued by real estate research firm Delta Associates, looks at changes in the Class B apartment market over the previous year. Class A apartments are typically large buildings built after 1991, with amenities like gyms, pools and more (UrbanTurf reported on the changes in the Class A market last week). Class B buildings are generally older buildings that have been renovated or have more limited amenities (privately rented homes aren’t included in the analysis).

Class B vacancies rose to 5.9 percent in 2013, up 1.8 percent from 2012, and DC rents decreased by 1.1 percent over the year. Northern Virginia rents also dipped by 1 percent, as suburban rents in Maryland rose by 1.5 percent.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2014, 1:08 AM

Is anyone here going to the Congress for New Urbanism happy hr at Right Proper tomorrow?

Old Posted Jan 16, 2014, 4:24 AM
life is good

What's that about? heard Right Proper is good haven't been yet

Old Posted Jan 16, 2014, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Rents Drop at DC Area’s Class B Apartments as Vacancies Rise
http://dc.urbanturf.com/articles/blo...ncy_rises/7992
With so much class A inventory under construction, rents were bound to retreat on older complexes. Everywhere you turn there are new complexes under construction in metro DC.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2014, 8:47 PM

Quote:
What's that about? heard Right Proper is good haven't been yet
It is their monthly happy hour. GGW had an events roundup post earlier this week and the Right Proper happy hour was mentioned. Lately, I've been giving all of my money to Bluejacket for beer!

Old Posted Jan 16, 2014, 9:57 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
How are concerns about ths project ridiculous? I fully support freight rail but there have been several recent (and fatal explosions) involving the Bakken oil shipped via rail. There was recently a fire on one of the CSX trains here on the Virginia Ave tunnel. The construction will also create local congestion and disruption-- this isn't really debatable. It is entirely reasonable that neighbors-- including me-- want this project done safely.

JD Land had a post about the CSX tunnel this week: http://www.jdland.com/dc/index.cfm/3...unnel-Jan.-16/.
The issues.

1. Rerouting. Has anybody on that site bothered to check a CSX route map? There is literally no good reroute for trains coming from Tidewater into the Northeast. In fact, in 2001's Howard Street Tunnel fire, CSX trains had to be rerouted via Cleveland. In this environment, suggesting rerouting without providing a viable reroute path strains credulity.

2. Safety. I agree that residents need to be concerned about construction effects mitigation. In fact, I think Concept 5 is the best approach, safety-wise, as it digs a new tunnel first and undercuts the old tunnel second, which results in a minimum of surface disruption.

3. Security. Lac-Mégantic was a terrible incident, yes, but also caused by a perfect storm of systemic failure. Key to this storm was the train being parked overnight online on a quieter secondary. That will not happen with the Virginia Avenue Tunnel. First, the nearby Anacostia Yard offers an established overnight layover occasion. Second, the VAT lies along the CSX mainline, which has some of the highest traffic densities and train control in their system. None of this was present on the secondary route through Lac-Mégantic. In fact, CSX has implemented all of the crash avoidance in the area that could possibly be expected of any American railroad, because they had to, to support their own activities.

4. Air Quality. Of course CSX has to cut down a number of trees to reach their own tunnel! So I do agree that a replanting program needs to pursued upon project completion.

5. Noise and Vibrations. These things are logarithmic in nature; the differential between current and proposed train weights, power, etc., are (to our perception) infinitesimally greater. Think about how decibels are defined. So mitigation for the new movements is actually far less than what someone thinking on linear scales would realize.

6. Accessibility. Keeping even temporary paths open for emergency vehicles is still necessary.

7. Transparency. The documentation available suggests that CSX has been no more or less transparent than other agencies undertaking projects of this scope.

8. The map. This has the My God! The Stupidity! moment in it. Of particular note is the second map, which claims encroachments. Easement law quite clearly states that this is false as long as the tunnel remains under the extant Virginia Avenue easement, which it appears to do so. Further east, another issue was the distance from the tunnel face to Capper Seniors, where they felt 35' was too narrow.

This image, for comparison, shows us that this is complete and utter bullshit. If a 35' clearance were left to the building lines on either side of the Howard Street Tunnel--in Baltimore--the tunnel could not possibly exist.

This told me everything I needed to know about how much homework the site proprietors actually did--to wit, nowhere near enough. They didn't even bother to visit the next city over and check their infrastructural experience.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Jan 16, 2014, 10:14 PM

hammersklavier:

I don't doubt that many of the concerns this group has are hype and overdone but it is possible for neighbors to have legitimate concerns about this without being a NIMBY.

CSX wants to close ramps to I-695 (http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...9a7_story.html) for the tunnel construction. This is a legitimate concern for neighbors.

Similarly, we live in a walkable neighborhood and depend on transit. If the CSX tunnel construction impedes acess to Capitol Hill and the Capitol South metro station, this is also a legitimate issue.

I understand the need for CSX to be able to grow to meet its business demands but the company also needs to work with the several thousand residents of the Capitol Riverfont and Capitol Hill neighborhoods to minimize impacts from the construction.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2014, 11:06 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

The problem, as tends to happen with NIMBY groups, is that the stated concerns aren't the legitimate concerns.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations