HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 3, 2014, 2:00 PM

I'm quite familiar with that block. It is my belief that knocking down most of that block will actually help preserve historic buildings. Because none of the homes are being maintained at all, they have rotted away and are beyond the point of being salvaged. Once a majority of a block reaches that point of decay, none of the remaining residents will ever sink money into their homes. The remaining homes will slowly decay and eventually be sold for projects such as this.

The one exception might be the larger industrial building that currently stores old carousel equipment (i think). Is this building worth saving? I really can't decide.

(Jon Pratt on Smugmug http://www.jonpratt.com/keyword/peda...le/i-Rxz7J54/A)

(Jason Harris on flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/crazyma...n/photostream/)

But otherwise, the block is dragging the neighborhood down and is a disincentive for anyone to do property upkeep. Here is a typical home; wood siding covered with asphalt shingles covered with multiple layers of unpainted oriented strand board.

(Jon Pratt on Smugmug http://www.jonpratt.com/keyword/peda...le/i-BLvrRTt/A)

When this block is bulldozed and rebuilt, owners in the neighboring blocks will have some incentive to maintain their properties. Or at least that's my theory. Sometimes it is necessary to demolish buildings in order to plant a seed for regrowth in a neighborhood. Sacrifice one of the worst blocks in order to spur upkeep of the surrounding blocks.

Granted, it is always debatable which properties or blocks should be scarified. And on top of that, people looking to develop property do cite this philosophy as justification for knocking down perfectly viable historic structures. In this particular case, I think it will actually save more than it destroys.

Edit: Hmmm, apparently I don't know how to embed picture links. Only the citations show up. Perhaps these sites are blocking inline references from outside sites.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2014, 2:21 PM

I agree most or all of the single family homes probably can't be saved. But I would like to see the industrial complex reused, and also perhaps the apartment building on Tenner Way.

I also have concerns about whether this is the right sort of project to spark reinvestment in other nearby blocks. If it is mostly just a lot of open space for animals to run around in, it might not have such an effect.

So basically, I am going to withhold judgment until I see an actual design for the complex. With some creative reuse and a good overall design it might be worth supporting, or it could be a looming disaster, or anything in between.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2014, 2:36 PM

Oh yeah, I had forgotten about that apartment building. It is set so far back from the street and in such a way that it might pre-date most of the neighborhood. Agreed, the single family homes are too far gone but it would be nice to save the apartment and largest industrial building if possible.

A $15 million development in that neighborhood is big news though. That is especially true if those 73 employees and 500 volunteers will be working there once the "campus" is built. That's a lot of people who could be frequenting local business at lunch and after work.

Just one block from there was another block of underused, dilapidated, light-industrial complex. It was recently purchased and turned into an indoor bike park called The Wheel Mill. With the vacancy rate going down and property upkeep on the rise, this neighborhood is near the tipping point of returning to vibrancy.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2014, 2:55 PM

I recognize it may seem odd to be questioning any sort of investment of that scale in Homewood, but what gives me pause here is the fact this is so close to the Busway station, and a lot of areas within that radius are already occupied or in the process of being developed with relatively low-density projects (with the exception of the new senior living building, which is of decent size). I also think the Hamilton industrial corridor has the potential to become something special with a lot of creative reuse--admittedly I am mostly thinking of the area west of Fifth, but this could be a contributing area (particularly if something interesting gets done with the railroad junction some day).

Old Posted Mar 3, 2014, 3:15 PM

Love seeing a crane on the skyline in downtown Pittsburgh!

Old Posted Mar 3, 2014, 3:18 PM

This might be too small scale to mention, but I read this weekend about the development going in on Penn Avenue next to the old location of the Quiet Storm (where they demolished two houses recently).

E Properties and Development is getting together with Moss Architects to built seven (!) townhouses on the site (which I think currently has three parcels). Because there is a PWSA sewer line which needs to have access running through the middle of the site, they're going to build townhouses on either side, with basically a public courtyard/woonerf running through the middle. They originally wanted to gate the front off, but the community was so opposed to a gated community there it was defeated.

Apparently they're in the process of building a very similar mini-development on Bryant Street in Highland Park? It's the first I heard of it.

Last edited by eschaton; Mar 3, 2014 at 4:23 PM.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2014, 3:19 PM
Eurosceptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
This might be too small scale to mention, but I read this weekend about the development going in on Penn Avenue next to the old location of the Quiet Storm (where they demolished two houses recently).

E Properties and Development is getting together with Moss Architects to built seven (!) townhouses on the site (which I think currently has three parcels. Because there is a PWSA sewer line which needs to have access running through the middle of the site, they're going to build townhouses on either side, with basically a public courtyard/woonerf running through the middle. They originally wanted to gate the front off, but the community was so opposed to a gated community there it was defeated.

Apparently they're in the process of building a very similar mini-development on Bryant Street in Highland Park? It's the first I heard of it.
Nothing is too small scale to mention here!

Old Posted Mar 3, 2014, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
Nothing is too small scale to mention here!
In that case I'm screening in my back porch come Spring.

In actual development news the Medical Mall in Wexford is coming along nicely. I'll try to get some pics later today if possible. I work across the street from the project.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2014, 4:09 PM
Eurosceptic

http://www.bizjournals.com/pittsburg...renovated.html
Quote:
Mar 3, 2014, 8:59am EST

South Side Brew House to be renovated into 75 apartments

The Brew House, a 19th century manufacturing relic on the South Side that once was a Duquesne Beer brewery, is set to undergo a full renovation.

The Brew House Association, the nonprofit that operated the property as an artist’s haven for more than 20 years, has picked downtown Pittsburgh-based Trek Development to upgrade the property into a mixed-income housing development that will include a total of 75 apartments, a project that will go forward with the help of a grant from the Pennsylvania Housing Finance Agency.

The building's redevelopment is expected to include 14 efficiency units, 55 one-bedroom apartments and six two-bedroom units.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2014, 4:36 PM

The South Side Brew House is such a fantastic building--definitely great to see it getting renovated (and also nice it will include a significant affordable component).

Duquesne Brewing Co. by joseph a, on Flickr

Duquesne Brewing Co. by joseph a, on Flickr

Duquesne Brewery by joseph a, on Flickr

Edit: Apparently this is the view from the roof:

Last edited by BrianTH; Mar 3, 2014 at 5:06 PM.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2014, 5:48 PM
Eurosceptic

http://www.post-gazette.com/business...s/201403030141

Quote:
Boston company buys Union Trust Building in Downtown Pittsburgh at sheriff's sale

March 3, 2014 11:28 AM

The Davis Companies gained control of the building by out bidding lender SA Challenger for the ornate Grant Street structure built by industrialist Henry Clay Frick.

The firm, a real estate investment, development and management company, may keep the building as office and retail space but also is exploring possible hotel and residential uses, attorney David W. Lampl said.

“They’re exploring all strategies,” he said.

This will be The Davis Companies’ first purchase in Pittsburgh. The company has extensive holdings throughout the northeast.
Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/business...#ixzz2uvICKC9a

Old Posted Mar 3, 2014, 6:07 PM

Great news that the lender didn't get the Union Trust Building. I'm sure a residential or hotel project would be challenging, but it could be worth it given the market, and I think the central rotunda makes it an interesting possibility.

Last edited by BrianTH; Mar 3, 2014 at 6:35 PM.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2014, 7:30 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
The South Side Brew House is such a fantastic building--definitely great to see it getting renovated (and also nice it will include a significant affordable component).

Ah man, that is THE most amazing "large" building in the southside. So glad it's getting some love. I've been in several of the Southside lofts (during a condo tour) and I love that area. Walking distance to one of the best areas of East Carson St.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2014, 7:55 PM
Eurosceptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinlee View Post
Ah man, that is THE most amazing "large" building in the southside. So glad it's getting some love. I've been in several of the Southside lofts (during a condo tour) and I love that area. Walking distance to one of the best areas of East Carson St.
I'm sure Glowrock would be happy to see this landmark revitalized.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2014, 8:26 PM
Ex Houstonian

There are plenty of other historic buildings in the southside, it's unfortunate it won't be restored and torn down but there's plenty more where that came from.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2014, 9:45 PM

The Brew Works is definitely a cool spot. Upon reading the article I was reminded of an art show I went to there a good 10 or 15 years ago.

As promised, here is a shot of the medical mall from about an hour ago. Not the best shot what with going past at 45 mph though.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2014, 9:52 PM
Eurosceptic

What exactly is the concept behind this medical mall, Muckk?

Old Posted Mar 3, 2014, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
What exactly is the concept behind this medical mall, Muckk?
The following article explains it fairly well...

http://triblive.com/business/headlin...#axzz2uwKuyJuJ

The size of this thing is hard to realize from Perry Highway, which is the road I was on when I took that pic. However, driving around to the back can really give you an idea of the size of this building. It's fairly massive. I'll try to get back there soon and snap a pic or two.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2014, 10:44 PM

Location: The absolute western-most point of the Philadelphia urbanized area. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Great news that the lender didn't get the Union Trust Building. I'm sure a residential or hotel project would be challenging, but it could be worth it given the market, and I think the central rotunda makes it an interesting possibility.
Whatever the use may be, I'd at least like to see ground-level retail. I do think office use would be the most logical, but I don't think hotel use would be that far of a stretch. Residential and all-retail might be however...

I also like that rotunda. Are those skylights located on the roof? I've been observing this building on Google Earth for the last several minutes, so I'm just curious. That could make for some interesting use(s) of the top floor(s)...

Old Posted Mar 3, 2014, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy1983 View Post
Whatever the use may be, I'd at least like to see ground-level retail.
They are certainly set up for that approach currently.

Quote:
Are those skylights located on the roof? I've been observing this building on Google Earth for the last several minutes, so I'm just curious. That could make for some interesting use(s) of the top floor(s)...
Yep. Picture from inside:

Mellon building by carolclarinet, on Flickr

This is in addition to the rotunda skylight itself:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations