HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States

Old Posted Apr 5, 2007, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave8721 View Post
I dont think that Climate has much to do with it, for example DC grew faster than Miami or LA. And both Miami and LA had very negative domestic migration patterns. Its more people leaving expensive cities for sprawly cheap cities like Atlanta, Houston & Dallas.

What do the fast growing metros (Pheonix, Atlanta, Houston, Tampa, & Dallas) all have in common? They are cheap for housing compared to other large metros. Its no mystery here folks...
Yes, I think housing cost is the primary factor.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2007, 2:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave8721 View Post
I dont think that Climate has much to do with it, for example DC grew faster than Miami or LA. And both Miami and LA had very negative domestic migration patterns. Its more people leaving expensive cities for sprawly cheap cities like Atlanta, Houston & Dallas.

What do the fast growing metros (Pheonix, Atlanta, Houston, Tampa, & Dallas) all have in common? They are cheap for housing compared to other large metros. Its no mystery here folks...
You hit the nail right on the head. It's all about affordability.

If Atlanta or those other cities became expensive, it wouldn't grow nearly as fast, if at all.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2007, 2:49 AM
Back on the road again

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
You hit the nail right on the head. It's all about affordability.

If Atlanta or those other cities became expensive, it wouldn't grow nearly as fast, if at all.
Cheap housing compared to the other large metros and, in spite of all of the negative comments in here to the contrary, warm climate.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2007, 2:53 AM

Actually, if you want to talk about what are the biggest factors then climate would fall well below the economy.

No one beats San Diego in the weather department, but clearly it's not growing as fast as it should if it was just about nice weather.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2007, 6:02 PM

The weather card is only a small piece of the story. I spent > 50 years living in the “frozen North” (Chicago, Boston, Edinburgh, Baltimore, etc) before moving to ATL – weather had nothing to do with the move, but now I see the weather as a good reason never to move back North. The “Winters” are just nippy enough to remind you that there is cold out there, but usually just a few days where you have to put on jacket. Summers are hot and humid, but Chicago, Baltimore, etc are hot and humid as well and for some reason the heat and humidity here is more tolerable – air conditioning is seemingly more common, more efficient and one seems to spend less time in that hot and humid air.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2007, 6:49 PM

you don't buy a house in a city where you don't have a job people. It's job growth.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2007, 7:55 PM
Future God

I wish the growth in Atlanta would slow down, for it's own sake. The city really needs a chance to catch up to all of the growth that has been happening there over the past few decades. I know some overly sensitive folks will take this as a knock on the city, but I assure you it is not. It would be a great thing if Atlanta, and many other cities, could temporarily stop growing so their infrastructure and transportation systems and the like could catch up to the growth. Obviously I don't realistically think that this would happen but ya know, it is what it is.

-Bob Marley

Last edited by BnaBreaker; Apr 5, 2007 at 8:05 PM.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2007, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnaBreaker View Post
I wish the growth in Atlanta would slow down, for it's own sake. The city really needs a chance to catch up to all of the growth that has been happening there over the past few decades. I know some overly sensitive folks will take this as a knock on the city, but I assure you it is not. It would be a great thing if Atlanta, and many other cities, could temporarily stop growing so their infrastructure and transportation systems and the like could catch up to the growth. Obviously I don't realistically think that this would happen but ya know, it is what it is.
BnaBreaker

You make a good point. When the older cities like Chicago and NYC were growing at phenomenal rates there was also a consciousness about the “commons” that seems to be lacking now. When you think of Chicago you think of the great expositions, the Midway, the waterfront the great philanthropic museums like the Field Museum etc. Same with NYC, great philanthropic gifts that build the Met, the Frick, etc. It is hard to imagine current day entrepreneurs setting aside a piece of land like Central Park for a park. The real estate is just worth too much. Of course there are current day examples like the Getty in LA or the Aquarium in ATL, but these are few and far between in relation ship to the explosive growth. A similar point could be made for rapid-transit infrastructure now versus 100 years ago.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2007, 7:56 PM
bnkhjsdlgj,sdgnsdkljvfjgl

Using the weather as an excuse to move is lame. I lived in Athens, GA for 10 years. The average high temperature there in January is 53, and the average low is 32. That means it freezes on an average January night. Also, while 53 is too warm for snow, it's still too cold to be comfortable, or to be conducive to outdoor activities. As far as I'm concerned, if it's going to be too cold to be "comfortable," then it may as well be cold enough to snow, because snow is at least nice to look at, unlike yellow sod and dead trees.

Before I lived in Athens, I lived in Pittsburgh. I remember days in January when the temperatures were in the 60's. I also remember going to a Q-Zar lock-in in Atlanta in January 2003. Low temperatures in Atlanta were in the single digits that night. It was cold enough that they had to turn the heat on in the arena, even though people were running around.

People who hate snow are pussies, as far as I'm concerned.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2007, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBR96A View Post
Using the weather as an excuse to move is lame. I lived in Athens, GA for 10 years. The average high temperature there in January is 53, and the average low is 32. That means it freezes on an average January night. Also, while 53 is too warm for snow, it's still too cold to be comfortable, or to be conducive to outdoor activities. As far as I'm concerned, if it's going to be too cold to be "comfortable," then it may as well be cold enough to snow, because snow is at least nice to look at, unlike yellow sod and dead trees.

Before I lived in Athens, I lived in Pittsburgh. I remember days in January when the temperatures were in the 60's. I also remember going to a Q-Zar lock-in in Atlanta in January 2003. Low temperatures in Atlanta were in the single digits that night. It was cold enough that they had to turn the heat on in the arena, even though people were running around.

People who hate snow are pussies, as far as I'm concerned.

Having lived in PA and GA mysef, I have a different take. Hi temps of 50 in January are very conducive to being outside and doing active things (probably not swimming). Otherwise, you'd have to argue October/November and March/April in Pittsburgh are just as unattractive as January in Atlanta. Also, outside of the Great Lakes region and New England, there aren't many places where it snows often enough to participate in things like cross country skiing, ie a truly snowy climate. In a place like Pittsburgh it snows just enough to be interesting for a day or 2, then it just sits in dirty piles next to the road or turns to ice. It is not a winter wonder land all season, rather typical days are hi's in the 30's, grey, and brown.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2007, 2:00 PM

I saw snowflakes last night at midnight from my condo in midtown Atlanta...no joke!

Old Posted Apr 5, 2007, 9:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg View Post
you don't buy a house in a city where you don't have a job people. It's job growth.

Well you put sense in people in this thread, thank you for doing that!

Old Posted Apr 5, 2007, 8:39 PM
Trendy.

Snow doesn't do any damage? Tell that to the people of Buffalo circa October 11, 2006. Just sayin'...

Also, when is this big migratory change going to happen?

As for me, I'd much rather be warm and have my central AC going. Ugggh, I can't BELIEVE that it's snowing in Buffalo in APRIL.

These gray, cold days get so depressing. At least it isn't 3 degrees anymore though...

DallasTexan-Boomer-DhallassTecksanne-Disceaux Fantasia-Sulley-Optimus Prime-Gloria Estefan

...and others I've surely forgotten...

Last edited by Sulley; Apr 5, 2007 at 8:47 PM.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2007, 10:01 PM
America's Hometown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willis McGahee View Post
Snow doesn't do any damage? Tell that to the people of Buffalo circa October 11, 2006. Just sayin'...

Also, when is this big migratory change going to happen?

As for me, I'd much rather be warm and have my central AC going. Ugggh, I can't BELIEVE that it's snowing in Buffalo in APRIL.

These gray, cold days get so depressing. At least it isn't 3 degrees anymore though...

Fine...we know you hate Buffalo. We know you hate the North. That is your preference and your opinion but that does not mean one area is that much better than the other when it comes to weather. That storm was a fluke...but it still wasn't quite like the devastation the south takes during hurricanes. I'd also would rather suffer through a cold, gray day than having to dodge a tornado that is prevelant in the south this time of year. So..each area has their weather pros and cons.

When will it happen? That's hard to say. Thirty years ago nobody gave Atlanta a second thought, Seattle and trendy would never have been spoken in the same sentence, New York was broke and in disarray and everyone thought California was the promised land.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2007, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyNation View Post
Thirty years ago nobody gave Atlanta a second thought, Seattle and trendy would never have been spoken in the same sentence, New York was broke and in disarray and everyone thought California was the promised land.
How times have changed. But prior to visiting Atlanta for the first time in 1996, I thought it was a dirty rundown city where the Olympics were being held. I was pleasently and positively surprized after my visit.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2007, 8:48 PM

Do people really think that Buffalo and Detroit will "rise" again?
Fine places I'm sure but they've been left behind, like a Charleston or New Orleans, they will most likely continue being large cities, but lacking the importance and standing they once did. New boomtowns will emerge based on who knows what (Vegas, San Diego, Miami) , but those are as likely in today's small and medium sized cities as they are in the old players. I'm not saying it's a north/south thing just an unknown thing.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2007, 9:09 PM

I think most people here are still pretty young so cold weather may not be such a big deal, but for a lot of older folks with lots of physical ailments the weather can make a HUGE difference in their quality of life. This needs to be taken into consideration because senior citizens may be the fastest growing segment of the population.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2007, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat View Post
I think most people here are still pretty young so cold weather may not be such a big deal, but for a lot of older folks with lots of physical ailments the weather can make a HUGE difference in their quality of life. This needs to be taken into consideration because senior citizens may be the fastest growing segment of the population.
A very good point. People are living much longer in todays world.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2007, 9:24 PM
Me?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickell View Post
Fine places I'm sure but they've been left behind, like a Charleston or New Orleans, they will most likely continue being large cities, but lacking the importance and standing they once did. New boomtowns will emerge based on who knows what (Vegas, San Diego, Miami) , but those are as likely in today's small and medium sized cities as they are in the old players. I'm not saying it's a north/south thing just an unknown thing.
I totally agree! I think places like Buffalo, Detroit, etc., have a lot more working against them than just "bad" weather (bad is in " " because that is all relative). It's the politics, the taxes, the mentality, the lack of solid job growth...THAT is what keeps people moving away from these places. Until they fix themselves, the bleeding will continue to happen.

Weather is a factor for ATL's growth I am sure, but it's not *that much* different than NYC, south (there is no arguing that Chicago, MN, Boston, etc., is on the colder end of the spectrum). But it all comes down to jobs, housing and cost of living. Whether you like ATL or not, you have to give credit where credit is due: people and companies don't just fall into places, they are lured there.

But all you growth boosters out there, be very leery...it has just as many (if not more) cons than pros...

Old Posted Apr 5, 2007, 10:48 PM
America's Hometown

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickell View Post
...and won't those places eventually decline and be left behind? At the rate we're going through cities and throwing them away the next boomtowns will be in Nebraska.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States