HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Arts, Culture & Entertainment

Old Posted Oct 10, 2012, 7:29 PM

Gastown is Canada's most stylish neighbourhood.

To those that say we have no style:

http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2012/10/g...-in-the-world/

I'd trust Complex over anything spit out by Globe and Mail, CTV etc... This is magazine in tune with the world culture scene.

And that we don't have great festivals

http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2012/10/w...ing-festivals/

Just some food for thought for those that constantly belittle Vancouver and how great of a city it is when compared to city's of similar size and history

Old Posted Oct 10, 2012, 7:45 PM
+

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotusLand View Post
To those that say we have no style:

http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2012/10/g...-in-the-world/

I'd trust Complex over anything spit out by Globe and Mail, CTV etc... This is magazine in tune with the world culture scene.

And that we don't have great festivals

http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2012/10/w...ing-festivals/

Just some food for thought for those that constantly belittle Vancouver and how great of a city it is when compared to city's of similar size and history

This has got to be the biggest bunch of rubbish I've laid my eyes on all year.

Gastown stylish? This neighbourhood is overrun with little more than hipsters and hobo's - a far cry from anything that could even remotely be deemed stylish.

Before lists such as this are published a disclaimer should be put in place which states that 'the following information herein is skewed by the author's own perceptions and should be fully disregarded as fact.'

Old Posted Oct 10, 2012, 8:11 PM

I think Gastown has some character and vast potential, but in its current state it is to me the most disappointing part of this city. When I moved here early this year, I went to Gastown looking to find something interesting and photographic, but I found neither. Same thing the few times after that. I also have yet to find the "huge variety of interesting restaurants" in Gastown that "everyone" talks about.

To me the area is too small, too rundown and lacks points of interest for me to wander there more often. Because of this I don't even bother taking friends visiting me from Europe to see Gastown, as there are by far more interesting places elsewhere in Vancouver.

But as said, Gastown has potential. However much further development is needed for it to match the trendy/stylish/interesting neighborhoods of cities like Berlin.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2012, 8:22 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Not sure I'd place it that high up on the global list but I certainly agree it's the most stylist place in Vancouver. I could be seen as biased but I only moved to the area because of it's potential and could've chosen any neighbourhood I wanted. As far as the restaurant scene go you aren't looking if you can't find them. Check out L'Abbatoir, Boneta, Salt, Sardine Can, Guest house, Judas goat, Wildebeest etc. That all said the area has gotten worse lately with the influx of club goers coming down on the weekends. Give me the Gastown of 18months ago and I'd be happier.

Last edited by jlousa; Oct 10, 2012 at 9:23 PM.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2012, 8:27 PM
HVAC guru

Hmm.... typically I've avoided Gastown on visits, as when I lived down in Van some 13 years ago Gastown was not a particularly nice place. I will have to check it out next time I am out that way

Old Posted Oct 10, 2012, 9:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hed Kandi View Post
This has got to be the biggest bunch of rubbish I've laid my eyes on all year.

Gastown stylish? This neighbourhood is overrun with little more than hipsters and hobo's - a far cry from anything that could even remotely be deemed stylish.

Before lists such as this are published a disclaimer should be put in place which states that 'the following information herein is skewed by the author's own perceptions and should be fully disregarded as fact.'
So kind of like your comment? Not trying to be an ass, i'm just saying that if you can't appreciate the vibe, the crazy entrepreneur scene, bars, restaurants and boutiques then yeah Pleasantville is more your scene.

I think Jlousa hit the nail on the head, but honestly a thriving night scene will add more to the mix of the 'hood, if done right of course and not the meathead show on Granville.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2012, 1:50 AM
+

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotusLand View Post
So kind of like your comment?
I was wondering if any was going to pick up on that. Bless you my child.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2012, 6:48 AM

I remember Gastown when The Old Spaghetti Factory was the hotspot! It's a far cry from that time now and it just goes to show that size doesn't always matter! Sometimes a few good quality businesses can make a big impression. Enjoy your laurels Gastown.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2012, 7:06 AM

Vancouver is pretty much the coolest city on earth so not surprised.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2012, 11:58 AM
+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
Vancouver is pretty much the coolest city on earth so not surprised.
I hope that was sarcasm.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2012, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
Hmm.... typically I've avoided Gastown on visits, as when I lived down in Van some 13 years ago Gastown was not a particularly nice place. I will have to check it out next time I am out that way
It's completely different. You won't recognize the Abbott/Hastings/Cambie/Cordova area. Serious.

Still very sketchy in the Pigeon Park area, but even that has improved. Carrall Street to the north is also still a little sketchy - but again much improved - especially the further north you go.

The "nice" Gastown seems to be spreading east along Powell. You can also feel the "push" south along Carrall and east along Hastings - but you are getting into the heart of the DTES here, and it's going to be long time before you see major changes in these areas. Another Woodwards replacing the Carnegie center at Main and Hastings would be nice

Changes are also coming to Chinatown. There are some interesting 9-10 story buildings that have recently been approved.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2012, 9:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftside View Post
Another Woodwards replacing the Carnegie center at Main and Hastings would be nice

Changes are also coming to Chinatown. There are some interesting 9-10 story buildings that have recently been approved.
Some good density at Main and Hastings is definitely needed. I've always thought that corner would be good as an office node. Repurpose the Owl Drugs building to office, and build a couple of office buildings on the 2 other corners where the old banks are, while retaining the heritage facades.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2012, 9:22 PM

reading comments on an article on another site people obviously haven't been down there in years if they think it full of tacky tourist shops

nice to see gastown turning itself around

Old Posted Oct 12, 2012, 1:55 PM

Last week I did a walk/cycle through Gastown to have a peek @ these change people are going on about-Yes there are some but it's still a hole.

Note this was a sunny afternoon I can't imagine those grubby streets @ night.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2012, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
Some good density at Main and Hastings is definitely needed. I've always thought that corner would be good as an office node. Repurpose the Owl Drugs building to office, and build a couple of office buildings on the 2 other corners where the old banks are, while retaining the heritage facades.
I'm sorry... Vancouver's ground zero as an office node? Maybe before WW2. Where have you been, son? Time travelling? That area won't be an office node in my lifetime or yours.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2012, 11:21 PM

I think it's really pathetic to hinge one's civic pride on lists, surveys and the opinions from twenty-something hipster magazines that feature important topics like "10 Ways To Build Up Your Sneaker Collection Without Paying Retail". Do people who live in truly cosmopolitan cities seek this kind of meaningless validation?

Old Posted Jul 1, 2013, 4:19 PM

Went to a party at 60 W. Cordova and snapped this. I had no idea all the rooftop gardens there were in Gastown, pretty cool shared spaces.

[IMG][/IMG]

Old Posted Jul 1, 2013, 6:54 PM

Thumbs down

edited for clarity.

Last edited by Conrad Yablonski; Jul 2, 2013 at 6:16 AM.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2013, 2:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Went to a party at 60 W. Cordova and snapped this. I had no idea all the rooftop gardens there were in Gastown, pretty cool shared spaces.
Neither did I. Cool indeed, thanks for sharing!

Old Posted Jul 18, 2013, 11:45 PM

I'm thrilled that Gastown, according to this source anyway, is the fourth most stylish neighbourhood in the world! It's a great reflection on Vancouver, and a barometer reading of where our city is heading!!

Nevertheless, I am a little surprised that Yorkville wasn't also mentioned (too commercial?) or somewhere in Los Angeles, Beverly Hills being the place that springs to mind.

Wonders never cease !!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Arts, Culture & Entertainment