HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 25, 2020, 5:51 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

The green maple leaf shield? Yes!

We in Ontario are a bit more creative. For Highway 17 through Upper Ottawa Valley, we will have a separate King’s Highways Shield for the number 17. Then, in our TCH shield, we imprint “Upper Ottawa Valley Route”.

Not always though. Sometimes we only show Highway 17 and won’t even bother with the TCH shield.

N.B. has the number 2 imprinted in the TCH shield.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2020, 6:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
It’s disappointing the TCH is not numbered as #1 from coast to coast. You would still have TCH #16 branch off north in Manitoba and you could have some multiple routes in the east as well but my OCD wants at least one complete route from coast to coast numbered as #1.
Do they even use the green signage with the maple leaf in the east ?
Man I wish we had a properly funded national network of highways with a baseline standard.
End of my rant.
Ontario and Quebec have their regular provincial highway signs. But Ontario usually puts the Trans-Canada shield below the highway sign and Quebec has a separate shield sign beside the highway sign that says "Transcanadienne" and sometimes the sign is just on its own. Both provinces use the same maple leaf design as found in the other provinces but they don't put the highway number in them.

Both Ontario and Quebec have alternate routes of the Trans-Canada. Near me is Hwy 11 which is the Northern Route. There are also a few other routes in other regions within Ontario. Quebec has a Northern Route which is Route 117 which changes to Hwy 66 in Ontario and connects to Hwy 11.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2020, 1:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
It’s disappointing the TCH is not numbered as #1 from coast to coast...….Do they even use the green signage with the maple leaf in the east ?
Here in Nova Scotia it's the 104, 105 and 106 and collectively called the “Trans Canada” by everyone. The Green Maple Leaf sign is used along with the respective number. I can just imagine the cost to change signs to an NS 'TCH1'....let alone addresses and everything else tied to it for no practical reason.

Heading west.....when I reach Fort Lawrence NS......TCH104 just continues into New Brunswick and becomes TCH2. Most wouldn’t even notice. It’s not like you will have to come off and go looking for New Brunswick's TCH2. It’s still a green & white TCH shield.....only the number changes and again, most wouldn’t notice.

Here's Nova Scotia:

This sign (below) is an anomaly. A Nova Scotia 'Provincial' 106 sign is used here instead of the Green TCH Shields that are used elsewhere. This is the short 18 km spur from TCH104 at Mt. William (New Glasgow) to the Prince Edward Island Ferry at Caribou NS.

New Brunswick....It's TCH2 and there's also TCH16....the spur to the Confederation Bridge.

Quebec....the Green Shield along with the Provincial sign. This is at Riviere-du-Loup where Autoroute 20 splits and 85 & 185 head to the Maritimes:

Prince Edward Island and Newfoundland:

And BTW here's the eastern end of the Trans Canada (7200 km from Victoria) in St. John's where it tapers to two lanes at Logy Bay Road......and the most easterly section of freeway in North America:

Last edited by ghYHZ; Jan 25, 2020 at 1:45 PM.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2020, 2:04 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

If anything, the historical Highway 2 (Windsor, ON ~ Halifax, N.S.) may be better known among the eastern provinces. Sadly enough, in Quebec, the only trace of that is the Old Route 2 (l’Ancienne Route 2) which spurs off Route 185 near Whiteworth F.N.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2020, 2:14 PM

National Highway System

Old Posted Jan 25, 2020, 2:28 PM

Here is basically what is twinned full controlled access with interchanges in the Maritimes.

It's worth noting that nearly the entire length of the 101 in Nova Scotia is controlled access with interchanges (Super 2). The 101 is over 300 km length and only has a 20 km section beyond Digby that has not been made Super 2.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2020, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
If anything, the historical Highway 2 (Windsor, ON ~ Halifax, N.S.) may be better known among the eastern provinces......
Here in Nova Scotia you can still drive old Trunk 2 (and still signed as such)....nearly all the way from the NS/NB border into downtown Halifax.

And just over the border on the New Brunswick side you can still see iterations of NB Route 2 crossing the Tantamar Marshes to Sackville NB. On the left the original highway.....middle: the highway constructed in the 1960s and on the far right the current, divided TCH2.

The old alignments are shown as Aulac Road and see how the 3 alignments come together to cross the marshes here along with CN's parallel transcontinental mainline:

https://goo.gl/maps/ctCJ7AgCFov9bzi28

Last edited by ghYHZ; Jan 25, 2020 at 3:01 PM.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2020, 2:57 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Even from Google Map’s Satellite View, one can see that Aulac Road used to carry N.B.-2 across the river. That bridge seemed taken out long ago.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2020, 3:40 PM

I tried to update this 10 year old highway map showing currently twinned sections (including Highway 103 section opening this spring between Tantallon and Ingramport)

Old Posted Jan 25, 2020, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post
I tried to update this 10 year old highway map showing currently twinned sections (including Highway 103 section opening this spring between Tantallon and Ingramport)
Great Job.....Thanks! (Antigonish is spot on!)

Old Posted Jan 25, 2020, 5:24 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Since we are on the topic. I have created a map showing the full extent of New Brunswick's fully grade separated, limited access divided highways.

This encompasses all of Highways 1, 2 & 95 and portions of Highways 7,11 & 15 for a total inventory of approximately 800 km.

NB-95 is a short connector highway at Woodstock leading to I-95 at the Maine border. To maintain consistency with the standards of NB-2 (TCH) and I-95, this highway is built to full freeway standards.

This leads to an interesting question. Is there anywhere else in Canada where a connector road to the US interstate system uses the same numbering system as the interstate highway to which it is connecting??? I don't think so personally. I think NB-95 is unique in this regard.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2020, 5:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Since we are on the topic. I have created a map showing the full extent of New Brunswick's fully grade separated, limited access divided highways.

This encompasses all of Highways 1, 2 & 95 and portions of Highways 7,11 & 15 for a total inventory of approximately 800 km.

NB-95 is a short connector highway at Woodstock leading to I-95 at the Maine border. To maintain consistency with the standards of NB-2 (TCH) and I-95, this highway is built to full freeway standards.

This leads to an interesting question. Is there anywhere else in Canada where a connector road to the US interstate system uses the same numbering system as the interstate highway to which it is connecting??? I don't think so personally. I think NB-95 is unique in this regard.
Highway 7 is twinned halfway between SJ and Oromocto, (Freddy)? I was not aware. Thanks for sharing.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2020, 5:40 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

N.B.-7 is a weird one. Twinned for ~1.5 km around the entrance to C.F.B. Gagetown, around Welsford then near N.B.-1. Otherwise, it’s mostly 2-lane or features a 2+1 configuration here and there.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2020, 5:44 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI highway guy View Post
Highway 7 is twinned halfway between SJ and Oromocto, (Freddy)? I was not aware. Thanks for sharing.
It is divided north from NB-1 to Grand Bay-Westfield, where it serves as a suburban bypass and commuter highway. There is also a fairly long divided segment in it's mid portion as it passes through the southern part of CFB Gagetown. I have a feeling that a large portion of the funding of this may have come from the feds. There is an interchange here leading to a service road on the base. I think the province convinced the feds to cough up some funding to "future proof" this interchange for the eventuality of full twinning of Highway 7. This segment of divided highway is probably about 12-15 km in length.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2020, 5:44 PM

Quote:
N.B.-7 is a weird one. Twinned for ~1.5 km around the entrance to C.F.B. Gagetown, around Welsford then near N.B.-1. Otherwise, it’s mostly 2-lane or features a 2+1 configuration here and there.
I knew they had built the Welsford bypass. I just thought it was a Super 2 highway not a twinning. I have driven 7 to Welsford from SJ, however, it has been years.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2020, 5:52 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I just went onto Google Earth to measure the divided segment of NB-7 at CFB Gagetown and I overestimated it's length. The divided segment is 4.5 km long.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2020, 6:00 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Are we talking about Exit 51 here? I just realized it’s longer than I expected.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2020, 6:22 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Are we talking about Exit 51 here? I just realized it’s longer than I expected.
Indeed.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2020, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Route 7 is unique in that it has absolutely no local traffic along a huge section, and no ability to ever have any local traffic. A divided 2+1 is probably the closest it'll ever get to a true freeway through CFB Gagetown, but in the long run it will likely get done from the end of the Welsford Bypass south to the city limit and an interchange should be built at Geary.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2020, 2:35 AM
The New Republic

All the maps are great. Thanks everyone who posted.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada