HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Apr 7, 2012, 7:25 PM
TL;DR

This is why the zoning code should prohibit them. In fact, I think it already does in many types of commercial zoning classifications. The trick is to rezone areas that are being redeveloped such that strip malls are impossible.

Honestly, I think we should abandon the conception of zoning as this "fixed" and rigid roadmap. It needs to be re-evaluated periodically, especially in areas where redevelopment will be widespread and rapid.

Zoning should first and foremost allow buildings with similar bulk and density to the ones that are existing. If, for whatever reason, the existing density cannot be accommodated in existing bulk, then allow buildings to have a higher FAR. Neighborhoods poised to redevelop should be comprehensively rezoned to help form coherent commercial districts and residential streets.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2012, 7:27 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanpln View Post
More is coming. The "Shops and Lofts at 47" is still in the hopper. The developers have signed a major tenant for the development and there was a redesign of the project. It still has an urban look although surface parking is now at the southern half of the site (40-50 spaces). Also the 53rd Street/Harper Court redevelopment is not that far from this neighborhood. You will see a lot more commercial development on 53rd Street because the University is investing heavily there. Several new restaurants, a 4 screen movie theater, Whole Foods, Akira and, other retail have announced projects there.
Having a South Side Whole Foods will make a big difference. The Mariano's at 40th would have been right in the middle of the highest area of potential, but it looks like that plan has died.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2012, 1:35 AM

Great tour of one of Chicago's most beautiful areas. The transition from Ellis a block over to Drexel is amazingly sharp.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2012, 3:17 AM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Looking good!

Old Posted Apr 10, 2012, 7:56 PM
Pittsburgh rocks!!

Great, varied shots of Chicago. I really like Kenwood and Hyde Park. What is going on with Bronzeville right now? I would love to see a sold low crime belt of neighborhoods extending from UC up to the Loop with the revitalization of Bronzeville.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 1:30 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Stunning architecture. Solid urbanity. Great shots.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 7:26 AM

Nice photos. Cool to see my neighborhood on here

edit: also cool to see my neighbor/friend's house lolol

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 11:57 PM

Thanks for the comments everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelingman04 View Post
Great, varied shots of Chicago. I really like Kenwood and Hyde Park. What is going on with Bronzeville right now? I would love to see a sold low crime belt of neighborhoods extending from UC up to the Loop with the revitalization of Bronzeville.
There's still entire blocks still completely vacant, but there has been some infill construction slowly filling in individuals lots. There's definitely been an increase in construction around the ITT tech campus. So overall, the neighborhood isn't too far gone and if it continues filling in those empty parcels and renovating the townhomes that are left then it could be back to a shadow of its former self .

Old Posted Apr 12, 2012, 3:27 AM
Pittsburgh rocks!!

Thanks ChiTownCity for the comment. That is really refreshing to know. I was there a couple of years ago and ended up not having enough time to really see the scope of redevelopment in Bronzeville since i only had 2 days in Chicago that visit. I have not had a chance to go back yet now that i have a family.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2012, 1:12 AM

YES!!! I love Kenwood, easily one of my favorite neighborhoods in all of Chicago... one that I feel will continue its strong rebound and really entrench itself with Hyde Park as the best area on South Side.

I share the same feelings as many others about the new construction in the area. It is of such an incredibly low quality and poor design that it drains away much of the authenticity of the streetscapes.

If anyone wants to get depressed in a hurry I recommend digging up photos of Kenwood from as recent as 1950 when the area was still retaining about 95% of its original building stock, which if you dig up historic aerials, you will see that the neighborhood was packed to the gills, not a vacant lot to be found ANYWHERE. In fact, I'll just snap some screen shots for everyone.

Kenwood 1938

Kenwood 2002

THE HORROR!!!!

Old Posted Apr 14, 2012, 1:19 AM
tilted & shifted

Another great neighborhood tour. Keep em coming.

Old Posted May 9, 2012, 6:00 PM

Where's that pt. 2 at?

Old Posted May 17, 2012, 3:23 AM

^Lol I almost forgot about it! I'll see if I can post it and a couple other neighborhood threads within the next few weeks

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos